Upcoming Changes to Meteorite Powder Economy

+

Soimu

Forum regular
This game is becoming more and more expensive. The only reason i played it was of the witcher lore and to collect cards and do not care about the rank and competitive side. With this changes i don't see any reason anymore to continue playing.

This game is becoming more and more expensive. The only reason i played it was of the witcher lore and to collect cards and do not care about the rank and competitive side. With this changes i don't see any reason anymore to continue playing.

Again: it's not more expensive. Only if you desperately crave 100% premium cards. ALL other premiums effectively get cheaper, and not just a little. More like a lot. If your're short on powder, just sell 8 blue cards for one legendary animation before this commences.

If 100% premium legendaries was the reason you were playing, you were gonna have to play for a long, long time (even before the patch). If you're not having fun anymore now with the game, then this is the wrong thread to communicate this as it has nothing to do with economy.

Soimu

Forum regular
Again: it's not more expensive. Only if you desperately crave 100% premium cards. ALL other premiums effectively get cheaper, and not just a little. More like a lot. If your're short on powder, just sell 8 blue cards for one legendary animation before this commences.

If 100% premium legendaries was the reason you were playing, you were gonna have to play for a long, long time (even before the patch). If you're not having fun anymore now with the game, then this is the wrong thread to communicate this as it has nothing to do with economy.

As i said i like to collect. For collecting stuff including premiums and skins is way more expensive now than before. Including time invested.

100% premium cards

It is like in The fox and the grape fable.
The hungry fox tried to reach some grapes hanging high on the vine but was unable to. As he went away, the fox remarked 'Oh, you aren't even ripe yet! I don't need any sour grapes.'

This is a collectible card game, it is your goal is to complete it.

For a long time, we were not quite happy with how meteorite powder was set up in GWENT. While we tried to fix it by introducing tweaks to its acquisition rate, this solution wasn't good and we rolled it back.
Ok everyone. Am I crazy, or didn't MP nodes that needed 3 RP and also chests always use to include 120 MP? Now it's only 90. That doesn't seem like a full rollback to me. And what about Arena rewards, some transparency on that?

Year of Wererat reward book is also fun. You see an MP node for 3 or 4 RP, but most of what you get is actually Ore. :giveup:

Last edited:
No idea why anyone would pay actually money for "premium cards". Many don't even look different than the standard version i.e. the animation is practically nonexistent.

I'm guessing because some people like them ;). Also, some people make enough money that spending even a couple of a hundred dollars on a game over time really isn't that big of a deal.

I'm happy when I see people spend money on Gwent, because I like the game, and I want it to continue existing. I have spent maybe $40 after 200 hours thus far, which I feel is a pretty fair money per entertainment ratio. Many other hobbies are much more expensive. Also, when compared to traditional real life LCGs (see Game of Thrones The Card Game), Gwent is an absolute bargain.

Sure change it if you have to; but at least fix the issue whereby premium cards occasionally appear as low res static images.

I get this during matches, cards both in hand and on the board. As well as in the deck builder where usually at least two in a filtered set will appear like this.

Happy to spend resources to craft premium cards - but would like them to appear premium all the time!

Also if they are going to cost more can we go back to the original quality of animation? Some of the premium cards in recent sets look awful compared to the earlier ones - look at the arm movement of the person bidding in Ludovicus Brunenbaum for example. Or the reworked Reinforcements - they are literally floating! I don't mind spending more but please improve the quality of late.

So what ya think. Buy kegs with all Ore you have to get some MP out of the Cards (I am Prestige 5) because you dont get as much MP after 15.4 if you mill cards or just hold the ore for new expansion

So what ya think. Buy kegs with all Ore you have to get some MP out of the Cards (I am Prestige 5) because you dont get as much MP after 15.4 if you mill cards or just hold the ore for new expansion
That's actually a good question, I would say keep enough ore for 30-40 next expansion Kegs because after opening that amount of expansion Kegs you will have at least all bronze Cards and you will end up getting only duplicates most of the time and spend the rest now before the Nerf.

Last edited:
I think prices of premium kegs should naturally drop with this change due to the fact that like 96% of the cards you get in those are common/rare. which would mean their value drops drastically, not to mention making meteorite powder cost ~40% less.

I opened a ton of kegs before upgrading to the latest Journey expansion and watching the current auto mill bug out and mill all of the cards i planned to transmute, including some duplicates set aside to transmute into hm premium legendaries.

I'm holding onto my all set premium kegs for now. Part of what brings me joy in a collectible card game is opening up packs asks getting a card i did not currently own.

I tend to hoard resources, which in the past served me well. I opened 150 kegs this week, but nearly 150 kegs on legendary silver weekend and 250 kegs on legendary gold day (the greatest day in Gwent history, and likely never to be repeated. )

To answer your question. I am also at prestige 5. I will probably spend another 5 to 10k of ore opening kegs, though i have a full legendary premium set now i just transmuted, and a full epic premium set achieved by opening the aforementioned 150 packs. I'll keep another 30k of ore around in case arena is made more worthwhile to play as Slama has mentioned previously.

As someone who loves transmuting cards of all rarities, I love this change. I can craft some really cool looking bronze cards for less than 1/3rd the previous cost and that's great. It costs 400 more powder for the best looking, but they should be exclusive.. this is a F2P game after all.

Thanks CDprojekt.

I opened a ton of kegs before upgrading to the latest Journey expansion and watching the current auto mill bug out and mill all of the cards i planned to transmute, including some duplicates set aside to transmute into hm premium legendaries.

I'm holding onto my all set premium kegs for now. Part of what brings me joy in a collectible card game is opening up packs asks getting a card i did not currently own.

I tend to hoard resources, which in the past served me well. I opened 150 kegs this week, but nearly 150 kegs on legendary silver weekend and 250 kegs on legendary gold day (the greatest day in Gwent history, and likely never to be repeated. )

To answer your question. I am also at prestige 5. I will probably spend another 5 to 10k of ore opening kegs, though i have a full legendary premium set now i just transmuted, and a full epic premium set achieved by opening the aforementioned 150 packs. I'll keep another 30k of ore around in case arena is made more worthwhile to play as Slama has mentioned previously.

Hoarding resources used to be worthwhile in the past, but given everyone and their mothers did just that and abused the "legendary week" promo, it made sense to scratch that (and swallow the inevitable backlash from fans). At this point, though, there's no sense. On the contrary. If you have 30K+ ore, which seems insane, you should spend it this week to try and get as much premium blues as possible so you can convert excess ones into legendary golds.

And if you sort out your collection with the "premium priority" filter, there will be no gray spots where your excess legendaries used to be. You know for a fact they won't be "refunded" anymore after patches. You know for a fact there won't be a "legendary gold day". I'm not sure where you get your logic to be quite honest. Unless you plan to quit playing for the coming year and just plan to collect the premiums for the next 2 sets, you're not making sense.

Also: I wouldn't think too far ahead concerning the future of the game. ES:Legends called it quits months ago, even though the community was (afaik) similar to Gwent's. Maybe it's an entirely different situation, but you can never count out the higher-ups pulling the plug, especially when confronted with so much negative responses for the past... year? Same thing happened with ES:L where the latest product/set was deemed garbage by the vocal minority ("don't play this cr$p!"). For the people calling the shots, it makes total sense to can it as most of the money has been collected anyway. There were other factors, but it probably played into their decision to can the game. The major difference between Bethesda and CDPR is that the latter seems to actually care about their audience.

So TLDR: don't hoard.

Last edited:

DRK3

Forum veteran
Ever since Gwent came out in closed beta i've done good resource management and never did anything rash.

I never bought kegs or powder with real money, but im very close to full premium collection.
Got 100kegs, 20k ore, 20k scraps and 100 reward points. Missing 35 premiums, only 10 of which legendary, the rest epics.

So, for any Prestige 5 or more players out there: open as many kegs (leave some for future expansions if you want) to obtain as much meteorite powder as possible, and transmute ONLY legendaries till april 15th (cost will go from 400 to 800), leave epics (cost will reduce from 300 to 200) and the rest to transmute later.

Both changes will be implemented on April 15th at 12:00 CEST, until that time you can make informed decisions about what you want to do with your meteorite powder reserves/card collections.
Not only was the MP change not fully rolled back in the reward books, also the auto-mill fix is bugged and all extra copies are auto-milled even if you don't have a premium version the second time you enter the deck builder. Where are the improved communication and the informed decision making about what to do with our card collection?

DRK3

Forum veteran
OK, so i just finished my premium legendary collection (still missing some premium epics though)

I thought about stopping opening kegs now, because i wont be using more powder until the 15th, but then i checked this thread to see what the new value will be...

The transmuting costs will change but so will the milling value of premiums. And i dont remember the exact values but im pretty sure each premium common or rare that is milled now gives way more powder than it will after 15th, and at least one of those is guaranteed on each keg for any Prestige5+ player, so my advice is to keep opening kegs and stock up on MP before the change.

Hoarding resources used to be worthwhile in the past, but given everyone and their mothers did just that and abused the "legendary week" promo, it made sense to scratch that (and swallow the inevitable backlash from fans). At this point, though, there's no sense. On the contrary. If you have 30K+ ore, which seems insane, you should spend it this week to try and get as much premium blues as possible so you can convert excess ones into legendary golds.

And if you sort out your collection with the "premium priority" filter, there will be no gray spots where your excess legendaries used to be. You know for a fact they won't be "refunded" anymore after patches. You know for a fact there won't be a "legendary gold day". I'm not sure where you get your logic to be quite honest. Unless you plan to quit playing for the coming year and just plan to collect the premiums for the next 2 sets, you're not making sense.

Also: I wouldn't think too far ahead concerning the future of the game. ES:Legends called it quits months ago, even though the community was (afaik) similar to Gwent's. Maybe it's an entirely different situation, but you can never count out the higher-ups pulling the plug, especially when confronted with so much negative responses for the past... year? Same thing happened with ES:L where the latest product/set was deemed garbage by the vocal minority ("don't play this cr$p!"). For the people calling the shots, it makes total sense to can it as most of the money has been collected anyway. There were other factors, but it probably played into their decision to can the game. The major difference between Bethesda and CDPR is that the latter seems to actually care about their audience.

So TLDR: don't hoard.

Like most console players, I have already been forced to quit Gwent twice for a period of 9 months.

I did change my stance and open the ultimate/ scrap premium kegs I've earned... and have spent 40k of ore, leaving 22k of both MP & ore for the future. 6k of MP reserved to convert epics to premium once the economy converts. I'll probably spend fifteen to 15k of ore, just to make the numbers match (i hate losing to ocd...)

I do think at some point arena will be worth playing again, and it will cost 150 ore per play, and you never know when they may be generous again, so i would advise spending 80% of your ore for packs...whatever that # is.

As for the game shutting down...before covid 19 i would have said no way, but it is hard to say whether losing the masters tournaments will be offset by people being forced to stay at home and picking up and playing games like Gwent.

I do think at some point arena will be worth playing again, and it will cost 150 ore per play,

It's not right now? I thought it was 150 ore for a ticket? I was contemplating playing one as I still have my ticket and haven't played arena in years. Considering a lot of cards have dumbed down to "damage or boost" it seems more fun now than it was, given it's a huge RNG-fest.

Technically it's only "worth it" when you hit a weekly limit on crowns, but that will never happen to me.

Top Bottom