How is Journey worth any real money?

+
I'm honestly at a complete loss why anyone would pay ~$10 for Journey... Also, the Free to Play Journey only gives Reward Point keys and Avatars... that is incredibly lame. I can only show one avatar at a time so why would I really care about getting a number of them? In short, the whole monetization strategy for Gwent seems to be very poorly thought out and years behind other F2P models.

You are seriously going to pay $10 for just a cosmetic that has no gameplay value? Why?

Gameplay value? You say the 90% of the collection that i have for free (even premium)?

Why do you eat dessert if you already have what you need to survive with lunch?
Why do you go to the cinema if you don't need to watch movies?

This journey is exclusively cosmetic, why do you need to evaluate it if you are not interested in cosmetics?
For those who are interested in cosmetics the value is more than favorable. Especially since Geralt can be customized instead of being pre-assembled designs (which allows to continue giving it variety with future elements).

You are seriously going to pay $10 for just a cosmetic that has no gameplay value? Why?

People interested in cosmetics will most likely buy the premium 'fast pass'.

The reason people will pay for the other tier is that they get 25 levels they will otherwise never get. So that equals lots of cards that - quite frankly - you need for gameplay. And the 10$ tier will unlock several kegs as well, so I reckon it's more for that (and supporting the devs).

So it's not purely cosmetic. Don't forget the weekly goals push your progress. But, of course, if you don't desperately want new cards, there's no real need to purchase this.

As already mentioned, the premium pass is for cosmetics, its prize (over a 3 month period) easily outshines any other offer on cosmetics. Plus you can customize your avatars (icon, border, title, general).

On top of that, those cosmetics are of great quality, and is a great entry tier support for the developers.

I'm honestly at a complete loss why anyone would pay ~$10 for Journey... Also, the Free to Play Journey only gives Reward Point keys and Avatars... that is incredibly lame. I can only show one avatar at a time so why would I really care about getting a number of them? In short, the whole monetization strategy for Gwent seems to be very poorly thought out and years behind other F2P models.
I don't know what you want. What you ask about.

You belive, that things worth buying are those giving you better game performance?
I STRONGLY disagree. Games like this need take money from cosmetics. Making any game like this Pay to Win would kill game. I would not play it, I'm not playing others if they are like this. Is it obvious, or we should discuss it?

Are those cosmetics worth 10$? Well, what do you mean? Do I have fun for unlocking them worth 10$? Yes, I have. Do you? No idea. Are they worth in game value? Yes they are, they are more shiny advanced and there is few times more of them than others cometics you can get for money in this game. So it's the "best" way to get advanced cosmetics for now.

I think they did it really good this time, the monetization system.
Ah, about getting rewards for free. You can get cardbacks, nice borders, boards and titles in for achivements and reward tree. You reward tree is unlockable by reward points you got through journey. So you can choose what you want. So again, it's not only avatars, it's avatars imposed on you (meh, but maybe some you will like?) and also avatars and everything else you want from reward points, the way you like it (you want to show elves border? Go for it. Bear card back? Well, wait a your, but you can use those reward points you got now).
So if one perfect avatar, border title and cardback combination is enough for you, use those reward points and get it for free.

If free borders are not enough for you, well, pay for cosmetic. That's the idea.Game is already looking pretty without it, so you don't NEED to pay, but can have fun with more.

And again, I just can't fully understand your post.
  1. Why anyone would buy 10$ for journey?
  2. Getting only avatars is lame.
So you care about cosmetics or not? If you care, that's why you would pay 10$. You don't? So what's the problem of getting "only avatars" (where you are wrong) from journey?
I would love you to stay in this game, either for free of paying.
Also you sound like someone frustrated that he is staying at home and trying to vent on anything without any logic. If that so, well, I hope I will be able to skip more of your posts/comments, because they also make me a little sad :D

OK. Let's try this. Since your post for me is illogical, I dare you to prove me wrong and propose some better monetization system. Logical one :D
I'm not saying that right now it's the best possible. Everything always can be better!
But right now I'm amazed by this one, maybe to much? But my opinion is - I belive it's step for right direction! (I belive it's GREAT BIG step for right direction, but it maybe be biased, since I really like this game. I hope milder version is not biased).

Have fun playing this incredible card game!
Post automatically merged:

I just HATE this post. HATE HATE HATE.
Why would you play any game trying to be competitive, if they ask you for money just for gameplay value.

"OK, play this chees game, with just 10$ you will get second queen on board and for another 20$ you can wait two moves to check his strategy, and than play your 3 moves at same time."
"Just for 5$ a game, you can redraw your cards in this great poker game. Also, by paying 50$ you can once a day look at oponent cards forever."

I'm disgustet by the idea.

Last edited:
Well, right now it's bugged so i don't know what to tell ya. CDPR said they were fixing it and we will get compensated. We better, or we just wasted money. If it wasn't i would tell you that the cosmetics are well worth the price.

Well, right now it's bugged so i don't know what to tell ya. CDPR said they were fixing it and we will get compensated. We better, or we just wasted money. If it wasn't i would tell you that the cosmetics are well worth the price.
Sorry for changing topic, but yesterday evening everything started to work as it should for me.
But yes, this journey was the most bugged patch I saw so far (I had over a year break of Gwent so maybe I missed something ;-) )

It's because the premium path contains many items some players would otherwise be willing to buy. A decent mix of many things, while also getting both paths at the same time. So, it is worth it actually, especially considering Geralt as someone pointed out. It's overall good value if you compare it with what else you can buy in the game.

It reminds me of Fortnite (yes, I've tried it) Battlepass. It's not really something you need, but something alot of players want and get. You can buy alot of things in the game, but overall the battlepass is "good value" compared to that.

rrc

Forum veteran
Play as Geralt? That alone is worth $10 for me. If they release another journey with Ciri for $10 in three months, I will buy that too. Three months later Yen for $10, I will buy it. Just because I love those characters (from books and from Witcher games) and a chance to play as them (and taunt as them) is incentive enough for me. As others had mentioned, if it is going to give competitive advantage, I would have loathed the journey.

But I see one downside to this. I wont be interested in any other trinklets (title, avatar, border) or cardbacks if something comes out. (For example, I wouldn't have bought the Beer mug border for 400 MP if I already had this journey). If they release another neutral leader skin separately, I will not be interested in it as, for me, Geralt > Ciri > Yen > everyone else. For example, the Wraith Skin or Offir themed Anna etc. nothing is a match for Geralt's skin.

Sorry for changing topic, but yesterday evening everything started to work as it should for me.
But yes, this journey was the most bugged patch I saw so far (I had over a year break of Gwent so maybe I missed something ;-) )
Not for me and some others. Tried restarting. Might try a reinstall. But PC and android are both showing this problem so i don't think install is the problem

Some reasons people may buy the pass:

1) A desire to support the game
2) People who like cosmetics
3) Additional reward points / kegs

If someone wants to pay and support the game, you should be happy, as it keeps the game viable. Some people like apples, some like oranges. You don't think the pass is worth it. That's okay too. But it should be obvious why people buy things--because they want to. ;) . And $10 for many people isn't a big deal. There's no need for the negative seeming tone. :)

Not for me and some others. Tried restarting. Might try a reinstall. But PC and android are both showing this problem so i don't think install is the problem

It was solved a couple of days ago on my devices (PC / android). In any case the quests are not complicated to get through regular gameplay, and once the hotfix is out (I am assuming it should be this week) this issue should be over.

It was solved a couple of days ago on my devices (PC / android). In any case the quests are not complicated to get through regular gameplay, and once the hotfix is out (I am assuming it should be this week) this issue should be over.
Only good thing is that quests don't expire but stack so the fix could come oug weeks later and you wouldn't miss out. Just keep doing matches till then.

If someone wants to pay and support the game, you should be happy, as it keeps the game viable. Some people like apples, some like oranges. You don't think the pass is worth it. That's okay too. But it should be obvious why people buy things--because they want to. ;) . And $10 for many people isn't a big deal. There's no need for the negative seeming tone. :)
Oh, I this answer! I will lean on it!
If anyone is willing to pay for cosmetics, and I don't want to (but I like game), best course of action for ME is to make OTHERS think, they should pay for it. Because that makes game free for ME - others are paying for my fun.
I hope you don't expect from devs to work for free on such great game?
So I also don't understand negative tone in first post and later - what for me could be better than others paying for thing that I don't like?
I guess you want some thingsthat you will pay for, and would improve your gamplay ability. As I said before, i hope it NEVER EVER happen.

They can just copy Hearthstone model. That one has led to an extremely successful game while Gwent is going nowhere fast.
  1. You can't comapare. Hearstone is based on WoW, and it got big, loyal and old playerbase. It also started 5-6 years before Gwent. For new games, Gwent were doing great compared to other card games.
  2. As far as I know, Hearthstone have model, where you need to pay to play really competitive game. Like I said: NO!
  3. Trying to refresh how Hearthstone economy works, I found youtube film from Hearthstone perspective, where they said, that they can't live on skins and they showed Gwent as example of game to loyal to players "you can get all cards too fast". HOW THATS BAD THING?! How Gwent trying to get money for good bonus content and letting new players get competitive fast, is a worse system than Hearthstone? We should praise them for trying - hopefull with sucess - to do so! You showed me how much better is Gwent system than Heathstone system and another reason why i play and gonna stick to Gwent instead of Hearthstone. Same time when you see in Hearthstone film that Gwent players got cards to fast, there is post here on forum form like 3 hours ago, saying that he got cards in Gwent to slow and he is not hardcore player but he still want to play.
No in any way I don't see this model worth anything.

Top Bottom