Should I pre order Cyberpunk?

+

Guest 3842833

Should I pre order Cyberpunk?

I wish to open a thread discussing the pre order of Cyberpunk. Normally I wouldn't even consider pre ordering a game especially one I don't intend to play until a year after it's release. But CD Projekt Red is my favorite studio and I want to show my support. However I don't want to feed into crunch and undue stress for the developers. I suspect that pre order culture is the reason for crunch among other bad practices in the industry.

Furthermore I don't plan to play Cyberpunk until a year after it's initial release. Reason being is that I still need to get through Witcher 3 but also that's when the game will be fully patched and running on full spec will be easier and cheaper.

It's a matter of personal preference.

I love Cyberpunk 2020, I love CDPR, but I'm not pre-ordering CP2077 primarily because it's an FPS and I have difficulty
with FPS, platformer, driving/flying, QTEs, and any "twitch" game so I'm unsure if I'll even be able to play. I'll wait to see
actual in-game footage (probably "Let's Plays" after release) before I decide.

I have to say i never preorder but ......... I did . I trust CDPR enough to think this will be a great game .

I don`t think preorders add to the crunch , that is there always when i game is closing in on release . I think it shows support for the Devs and company .

Guest 3842833

I have to say i never preorder but ......... I did . I trust CDPR enough to think this will be a great game .

I don`t think preorders add to the crunch , that is there always when i game is closing in on release . I think it shows support for the Devs and company .
That kind of my thinking too.
Post automatically merged:

It's a matter of personal preference.

I love Cyberpunk 2020, I love CDPR, but I'm not pre-ordering CP2077 primarily because it's an FPS and I have difficulty
with FPS, platformer, driving/flying, QTEs, and any "twitch" game so I'm unsure if I'll even be able to play. I'll wait to see
actual in-game footage (probably "Let's Plays" after release) before I decide.
Yeah a lot of people seem to be really upset about it being in first person bu to me it makes a lot of sense because combat in this game will be done with guns.

I didn't pre-order (been burned twice so far pre-ordering, don't need 10000x before I get it), and will not pre-order.

As far as I know, there was that 20min Vid, and the whole time it was saying 'Work in Progress, everything can CHANGE' . So pretty much...there is nothing to SHOW how it look. I'm not gonna buy blindly! I don't care who is making the game, or who is in the game..Jeebus...or whoever. Show me something! then I'll make a decision....yup....didn't say I will buy automaticly! lol

And let's face it, that 1st person gonna be a pain. But you add alot of others stuff alongside it (like everything gonna be 1st person, just one appartement, no customizations..yada yada...)...and hence why I'm on the fence.

Lemme be a voice from the other side of that 'don't pre-order' spectrum.

Disclaimer: I live in Russia and I will pay less than most of you. At the time of writing, Cyberpunk 2077 costs 1999 RUB which is, according to Google, 26.93 USD as of April 10, 2020. May seem like a bargain, but believe me fellas and girlas, that ain't no bargain for the motherland.

I will pre-order Cyberpunk 2077 no matter what. I have never played any of the other games CDPR has made, I have never played Cyberpunk 2020 and my experience with cyberpunk as a genre is limited to RUINER, Observer and Syndicate (2012).

However, Cyberpunk 2077 is something I've been waiting for for years because I have been impressed by the very first teaser I saw long ago. Then there was another trailer, some news and speculations read, the gameplay reveal and Keanu Reeves, Deep Dive video and all the promised RPG mechanics with some degree of freedom within some heavy sci-fi depiction of the future that is... somehow plausible. There are example in sci-fi genre than either throw something remotely scientific/accurate at you or simply don't bother with explaining, fact-checking or making it feel or at least look like it could be real, achievable, possible to relate to.

That may be a delusion, yet it seems like a genre/setting like that is one of the most realistic sci-fi visions I know. It merges with the reality in the points where it's actually most likely to - making people's life easier, allowing corporations more control and profit, augmenting tech wherever possible. That is brutal, mind-blowing and in a video game, that gives you and the creators certain freedom that certainly allows for some fun.

Not to mention what it could mean for the open world we are promised. Again, I may be wrong and I realize that the it's not going to be kind of immersive hyper-realistic future simulator with story elements. But I know that, as an RPG, Cyberpunk 2077 is likely to have replay value, different playthroughs that may show something new or simply give you a different experience.

CDPR isn't the studio I am familiar with through their products. I don't trust many people with their video game choice because I have my very own taste, but the time and all the kind words of praise I've heard put me at ease thinking about the upcoming Cyberpunk 2077. I wish to support them, and that is why I will pre-order.

Oh, and the fact that it's a Polish video game has become a quality mark for me, too (RUINER and Observer wink-wink).

Guest 4211861

Do you really know what it is you're preordering? CDPR became very stingy with the materials this year.

I can't honestly say what this game is anymore.

It's really personal preference. I pre-order games. But I also make a lot of research before doing it. Who makes it? Did I like their previous games? What's it about? What genre it is? etc.
I regretted my purchase once and that was Far Cry 5 which was short and pretty much the same or worse than previous two games. Well... I also regretted buying The Division 1 but that was after they released some updates that foked the game. Most people will know.
So I don't make bad game purchases, mostly, and that's because I know what I'm buying and I know what I want. I don't really care about story spoilers or some spoiled mechanics. No one can spoil the fun you have when you are actually playing it. But I'm also more interested in gameplay than story and that's harder to spoil.

I would pre-order Cyberpunk 2077 now but I didn't because there's no bonus to it. Or at least bonus I would be interested in. So I'm waiting until like a month or few weeks before the release, until they announce pre-load and then I will buy digital version although I want physical version and I also want to play right when the game unlocks and that's sadly impossible with this game if you get physical version.

Don't pre-order unless you find some serious discount (like I did, and still have the option to cancel it). If you're a console gamer, keep in mind the next gen version won't be ready for some time after release.

Do you really know what it is you're preordering? CDPR became very stingy with the materials this year.

I can't honestly say what this game is anymore.

It's true, we saw very little non-action elements even last year. We know that specializing in stealth or weaponry definitely open up new playstyles. That's a good start but we have still no idea how street cred works or dialogue or the social skills - if they are a thing, we did not see on the skill tree - in general.

So it depends on trust. I for one trusted CDPR.

The casual fan like to see action to sell the game to them maybe not for the hard core people like us on the forum but for the rest of the gamers world wide .

Ok, this is coming from an old gamer and a long time CDPR community member.
(talking decades of gaming here and nearby a decade being a member now ^^) *phew* time flies

I do never preorder, neither i support business practicies i despise (non optional Launchers are my limit)
[before you ask, yes i boycott ALL of them except for Galaxy]
However i DO preorder from CD Projekt Red, because:

1. I want to support their approach to the customer and that they let us really OWN our games
2. I know they are really passionate about their projects, they literally would rip their ayyses off
to deliver us a great game (subjective ofc, since i am a fan since quite the long time)
3. They are there own publisher, no one can barge in and command them to do X or Y for more money

In the end it is rly your own decision if you like to support before getting the game or not.
So if you can afford, not to have the money in your pocket, you can preorder.
If you re not sure (or don t believe what ppl tell you here) you can be save by waiting till
independent reviews are in and buy the game then.

Guest 3842833

Wow guys, I've got a lot of really good responses and I can't reply to all of them. I really appreciate the feedback and of course feel free to keep the conversation going as much as you like. But I think I’ve got all the information I need.

It is completely up to personal preference. I normally would tell you absolutely no if I was talking about virtually any other developer. CDPR is only an exception because of their track record and even now they are proving they still care about putting out a quality game over a few extra bucks by ripping the customer off. What you really should be asking your self is can I afford to be out the money now or at release when comes to CDPR. I personally preordered soon as became available because wasn't sure at the time I could afford the expense when it finally comes out, and I was right with current situations going on I wouldnt of been getting the game till late next year at earliest if i hadn't already preordered back then.

I don't have any reason to keep that money and might've spent it on something useless instead so I decided to buy it bc I trust the company! Wouldn't do if i had to save money to something else tho...

You should do what you want.

If the goal is just to support CDPR, there are other ways to do it. In my case, I completely abandoned Steam, uninstalled it from my computer, and re-purchased all of the games I like from GOG; if they are on GOG, that is (Creative Assembly sucks massively for not putting up any Total War games). In addition, I've purchased either three or four copies of The Witcher 3 and all of its expansions, and a couple of copies of the earlier Witcher games, as a way of voicing my support for excellent products from the company.

I don't preorder any longer, not even from a company that I actively support like CDPR. I'll wait and see whether the game is sufficiently stable with a good frame rate on a decent but not cutting edge PC, or whether I'll purchase for the PS4.

Guest 3842833

You should do what you want.

If the goal is just to support CDPR, there are other ways to do it. In my case, I completely abandoned Steam, uninstalled it from my computer, and re-purchased all of the games I like from GOG; if they are on GOG, that is (Creative Assembly sucks massively for not putting up any Total War games). In addition, I've purchased either three or four copies of The Witcher 3 and all of its expansions, and a couple of copies of the earlier Witcher games, as a way of voicing my support for excellent products from the company.
Funny, I did the same thing. Haven't used Steam in a long time. You know why Valve released Alyx on VR? Because there's no Witcher or Cyberpunk on VR... yet.

Top Bottom