The sheer scale of Night City

+
Now to map out all the rooms on every floor...I can already imagine a "google map-like" app mod will spawn into existence at some point in the not so distant future, probably...

Also I wonder what the local network map is going to look like...

:shrug:

Yea, there are a few more of these.. map comparisons on Reddit, some of which result in the Cp2077 map being considerably bigger than in that picture, so I would put too much though into it. Measuring and comparison method often makes for wildly different results.

Kinda offtopic: going by this map, does that mean that GTA V's map is around four times the size of Velen's? :confused: It doesn't make total sense, seeing that in my experience for instance Mount Chlliad itself felt as big as Undvik perhaps, let alone Velen. But I'm no cartographer :LOL:

Where did you find that comparison by the way? I didn't see it in the subreddit.

Edit: found it.

Last edited:
does that mean that GTA V's map is around four times the size of Velen's?
I've absolutely no idea. :shrug: The only thing I know is that TW3's TOTAL map is 135 Km^2 and GTA 5's is 126 (both with sea included).

But my point was that all these predictions about the map are as -if not less- accurate as my English. :ROFLMAO: Fun to see, but don't really make too much sense.

The only thing we know for sure it's that CP77's map will be smaller than TW3's. https://www.gamespot.com/articles/cyberpunk-2077-map-is-smaller-but-more-tightly-pac/1100-6469407/

That being said, I'm a big fan of big maps, but the most important thing is that it's big enough to feel like it's a really huge city. It doesn't need to be humongous to achieve that, though.

I wouldn't trust the map comparisons on reddit. The person doing those map comparisons has been slowly scaling up the size of the Night City map with each post (see here).

Also he thinks that Novigrad & Velen is only 15km^2. Skyrim is 37km^2 for reference. There's no way that Skyrim is more than double the size of the main Witcher 3 map.

Personal opinion:
I think the simplest way to visualize map size would be to pay attention to the bridge on bottom right in the panoramic view from the E3 2019 video. Especially concerning its width, while assuming that the bridge is roughly same size as a bridge would be in real life (with about 4 lanes side by side?). Then compare that to the giant skyscraper downtown area, which can be assumed to be the central island in the above maps.

Conclusion: the city is big enough for me :)

Attachments

• 8mn4p369li331.png
    8mn4p369li331.png
    662.1 KB · Views: 132
I wouldn't trust the map comparisons on reddit. The person doing those map comparisons has been slowly scaling up the size of the Night City map with each post (see here).

You shouldn't trust any map comparisons that are based on currently available maps, that are - not to devalue the effort and passion of the artists - ultimately fan art, based on what is likely a rough graybox sketch of Night City's layout.

And while those maps may give us a sense of the rough layout of Night City, they do lack the details to make effective calculations. Which is why there isn't a consensus on the size of the city.

But given that Night City is located in the Morro Bay, we know that it is atleast 35-40 square kilometers. Since that is the rough area of the actual Morro Bay.

But given that Night City is located in the Morro Bay, we know that it is atleast 35-40 square kilometers. Since that is the rough area of the actual Morro Bay.

And even then, since the game is set in a fictionalized version of the place I, for instance, wouldn’t expect Night City to have the same geographical features or area size to the real Morro Bay.

Hey guys, there's a little something I noticed while looking back at the 48 minute gameplay video and then looking at the map. These 3 skyscrapers I circled appear to be the 3 blocks i circled on the map. Judging by how far they appear to be in the gameplay, and then comparing that to where they fall in the overall map gives a nice sense of scale to the world I think.

Attachments

• Desktop Screenshot 2020.04.26 - 13.34.13.70.jpg
    Desktop Screenshot 2020.04.26 - 13.34.13.70.jpg
    307 KB · Views: 227
  • 3 buildings.jpg
    3 buildings.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 224
Hey guys, there's a little something I noticed while looking back at the 48 minute gameplay video and then looking at the map. These 3 skyscrapers I circled appear to be the 3 blocks i circled on the map. Judging by how far they appear to be in the gameplay, and then comparing that to where they fall in the overall map gives a nice sense of scale to the world I think.

I don't think those are the same buildings. Those look too small and thin. Also, the massive buildings of the city center are visible to the left of those buildings, meaning what we see is a corner of the city center isle. This begs the question where exactly does the meeting with Stout take place? I don't think its pacifica, which it would have to be for the buildings and the corner of city center isle align properly.

I don't think those are the same buildings. Those look too small and thin. Also, the massive buildings of the city center are visible to the left of those buildings, meaning what we see is a corner of the city center isle. This begs the question where exactly does the meeting with Stout take place? I don't think its pacifica, which it would have to be for the buildings and the corner of city center isle align properly.
We do know where the meeting with stout takes place. also those buildings to the left are not city center. Those buildings are in westbrook, which has been confirmed for quite some time. From the perspective the buildings check out. also note that the angle of the buildings make sense given where we're looking from.

Good observations, however this is where I think those three buildings in the map might be located.

And even then, since the game is set in a fictionalized version of the place I, for instance, wouldn’t expect Night City to have the same geographical features or area size to the real Morro Bay.

While Night City is definitely an altered Morro Bay - post-4th corp war landscape of 2077 especially, since dredging Morro Bay estuary is mentioned in lore - there are still some features that correspond to the extant landscape. With Watson being built over the Morro Bay city proper. And the general shape of Watson is not that far off what one could imagine the dredged northside waterfront of the bay of Morro Bay to look like.

From there one can follow the general line of the estuary, using the distance measurement tool of Google maps and confirm, that what we know to be the size of Watson - little over a kilometer from the Senior Ripper's to All Food plant - does correspond to the approximate size of the real world landscape.

If you watch the first gameplay demo, you'll see why they made the game in first person. While driving the car in 3rd person the skyscrapers look pitiful. Just fucking tiny. But when looking at them on foot or through the drivers window they look like metal mountains.

I don't know how big the map will be, I'm just hoping it'll be filled with enough content in terms of shops, friends, and radiant things that the game still feels alive after the story is over.

I had this thought when they showed the gameplay a while back. The creators talk it up, to be a big city. I believe them for the simple fact that this game has taken so long to make. And the fact that they just stated that DLC content will be no smaller than Witcher 3. I hope this means that the normal map starts out big, but then gets bigger, with more story content and size when we get the DLC. Then again, there are different ways for them to expand. Who knows, how much is underground? There could be a creepier presence that lurks beneath Night City. We won't know for sure, until the game releases. They don't want to spoil everything for us. They want us to play it and be shocked, while we're playing.

I'd also like for Night City to have a really large scale, but not too immense. I am a bit of a completionist, so I am likely to scour every inch of the city looking for side quests. With a large city, that could take months and at some point in time I'll have to eat and shower. :facepalm:

Top Bottom