A way to change ending?

+
I don't exactly understand how this forum works but I came here looking for help. I have just completed the main story but I ended up getting the worst possible ending. I then attempted to try and go back to the quicksave I had created just before initiating the final cutscene and using console commands to change my ending, however by the time I was out of cutscene mode, my quicksave was gone and the latest manual save I had made was at the Isle of the Mists. That's way too far back for me to go to and I don't feel like replaying the entire 60+ hour experience in new game+. I was excited to maybe start playing the DLC's right after I finished main game but now I'm torn and my experience has been brought to a halt. I'm left with a bad taste in my mouth and I've missed out on many great cutscenes and end-game experiences because of this. I can't just start the DLC with my current ending can I? Is there a way to forcefully change my ending, get back my save, start a new game at a specific mission? Please help me, I was really enjoying my experience with this game and now I'm just mad.

The ending that you get at the end of TW3 is the culmination of the decisions you made at the various inflection points scattered throughout the game. It's also not clear when you reach such a point that the decision you make will influence the ending of the game. So I don't think it's possible to change the decisions you've made to get a different ending without essentially playing the game again.

Having said that, the 2 DLCs are not affected by whichever ending you receive at the end of the main game, except for a minor detail right at the end of B&W.

I would also suggest that you consider starting a New Game + as it is highly unlikely that you've experienced all the game has to offer in one playthrough, and this time hopefully get a different outcome by making different choices.

The ending that you get at the end of TW3 is the culmination of the decisions you made at the various inflection points scattered throughout the game.

^ This.

Getting exactly the ending you "want" requires quite an understanding of the nuance involved in making decisions throughout the game. The devs didn't just include this in the main quest, but many of the side quests as well. There's no "one thing" a player can go change to make the ending fit their ideal.

I will say that I was never put out by the way the game reacted to a decision I made. I wasn't always happy with it...but that felt a lot like Geralt's life.

Like when I freed the Whispering Hillock spirit on my first playthrough. I knew something was wrong with that. I knew the crones were twisted, and I knew the spirit was telling me the truth about its imprisonment. But I just couldn't justify my leaving the thing trapped there while these three, murderous lunatics ate orphans for fun and profit. So I freed it.

And when we found the village utterly massacred...it dawned on me. "Oh, yeah. The Crones imprisoned it because it was even more psychotically insane than they were. Yeah. It was that simple."

Gotta just go with the gut, sometimes.

A lot of the ending-affecting decisions are made in the middle of the game rather than the end.

Top Bottom