How much money should V have?

+
I'm not a fan of lots of vendor trash in RPGs because it also usually means suspending disbelief as your character hauls 15 swords and 12 shields to the nearest vendor.

Yes it is funny that you can carry 15 swords and 15 shields around, but also funny is that you carry 100k gold around since that gold would probably weight much more then all that shields and swords.

The whole concept of vendor trash is an aged relic in my opinion. I don't think the game should even give you the option to pick that stuff up.

Yeah, since you can't pick up stuff in real life either?? people are known to collect gear from defeated opponents, it happens during a war, it happens during gangs wars and probably happens when mercenary fight each other or some other forces.

Yeah, since you can't pick up stuff in real life either??

No, because it is non-essential to the story and your well-being; and because it merely highlights the just as unbelievable aspect of you fighting 15 people at once (which causes there to be 15 swords for you to pick up).

The trick about willing suspension of disbelief is to not be too blatant about the unbelievable stuff.

Last edited:
I hope there will be an option to drop and/or store money in respawning containers to get rid of it if desired. That way it wouldn't even matter how much money V has, as far as having "too much" goes.
(I once stored like 10k in some random corpse in Skyrim because I didn't want to have so much. :ROFLMAO: )

I'd be fine with starting with very little to no money -- would even be preferable.
Having to save up and really earn money isn't too common in RPGs, like I believe someone already said. Seems to always be something that needs to be modded in if one wants it, or if unwilling/unable to use mods then by coming up with self-imposed rules for what and how much can be sold (which can be a lot of fun, and add to the role-playing aspect).

Technically, if you were smart with your money you could earn a shit ton in The Witcher 3 but I always played the poor Geralt. My biggest problem with money in video games is theres absolutely nothing to spend it on sometimes. They dont give you enough money sinks.

Yes, V is a mercenary, but that doesnt mean they shouldnt be able to be filthy rich by the end of the game. (I'm assuming the game is all about chasing the almighty eddie...Eddies?....Eddi?) But I want to feel like I have earned it not that it has been handed to me. I can already hear the "I got to work to work I dont wanna come home and do it in video games" argument coming though. But my argument to that is why play RPG's at all then? I honestly think player get far too much handed to them for the sake of convenience these days. I just get the feeling CDPR are going to miss a trick with this game.

I can already hear the "I got to work to work I dont wanna come home and do it in video games" argument coming though. But my argument to that is why play RPG's at all then?

First that is not really the same, also you don't play RPG to earn money, you play it for character development and how all that skills and abilities represent you in that world and story.

Yes it is funny that you can carry 15 swords and 15 shields around, but also funny is that you carry 100k gold around since that gold would probably weight much more then all that shields and swords.

Yeah, since you can't pick up stuff in real life either?? people are known to collect gear from defeated opponents, it happens during a war, it happens during gangs wars and probably happens when mercenary fight each other or some other forces.

100 coins being heavier than 15 swords & shields? Not even close. Most coins aren't going to be gold either, at least realistically. Bronze, Copper, and Silver were all far more common. Not to mention that 100 coins can easy fit into a leather pouch while 15 shields and 15 swords cannot.

At the end of a battle one person wasn't looting the remains of an entire army. The victorious army was looting the remains of the defeated army. An individual in that victorious army might get a helm, or a sword, but he wouldn't be carrying around dozens of them.

That there is even that much loot available in RPGs is in itself not really believable, as Bloodartist pointed out. Games throw a lot more enemies at your character than they would realistically be able to defeat by themselves. We willingly suspend disbelief however for the sake of gameplay or just because it is so common in RPGs that we've become accustomed to it.

Flooding your character with useless vendor trash loot is an outdated mechanic not just because it stretches plausibility past the breaking point when your character is lugging around an entire armory on their back, but because it serves no real gameplay purpose. If the purpose of vendor trash is just to give the player a reasonable amount of money to spend on improvements after hitting a merchant, why not just cut the inventory clutter, and have NPCs carry more money? Or have gear drop more sparingly but with a higher change of being useful.

100 coins

No not 100 coins, i said 100K that mean 100.000 coins
Post automatically merged:

And i say gold, since gold coins would pobably be highest curency at that setting, so lets say you have 1000 gold coins with you, that is 11 kg of weight you would need to carry around with you, that is crazy.

Last edited:
First that is not really the same, also you don't play RPG to earn money, you play it for character development and how all that skills and abilities represent you in that world and story.
[...] Allow me to explain. My point was that making money in an RPG shouldnt be easy. There are very few RPG's these days that dont have crafting or a monetary system in them. I further added that most people don't want to "grind" to get a sense of achievement in game. Yes you play RPG's for the story but this game is about making money. People who don't like a monetary system and/or crafting shouldn't play RPG's that they know are going to have them in.

Edited. -Drac

Last edited by a moderator:
My point was that making money in an RPG shouldnt be easy.

Yes, I agree. However, if stuff is gated behind buying it at a high cost, there is a risk of the game becoming "grindy" which can lead it becoming "un-fun". So there are many inter-dependant things to consider. If the game is "grindy" then there probably isn't a top cap to how much money a player can get, should they grind mindlessly for a really long time.

In other words, making money "hard to get" is often not a good way to limit players finances. In my mind, games being "hard" just means them being "grindy" by virtue of just trying over and over again until you get it right. I really hope game designers realize this and that there are very different kinds of players in the world. Balancing one product between all of them is usually impossible. I think this is one of the crucial things that some game designers dont understand, and instead chase some unachievable ideal.

For this reason, I usually opt to to play RPGs on some easy difficulty setting so I can enjoy the game for its true merits, dialog, environment, details etc, instead of getting frustrated at the grind. If I have to die and reload a whole bunch of times, it breaks my immersion and I lose interest. If I want skill-based gameplay, I play a bunch of various PVP games instead.

The game doesn't have to be realistic, it just has to be believable enough to suspend disbelief.

In any game you can more or less grind, RDR for example i know a guy who just hunted animals and sell their hide, he ended up with so much money he almost didn't know what to do with it in the end.

In most RPG you don't buy best gear, you earn it from some quest or special encounter, so money end up mostly for upgrade of that gear and you still have more or less with a lot of money to throw around.

In any game you can more or less grind, RDR for example i know a guy who just hunted animals and sell their hide, he ended up with so much money he almost didn't know what to do with it in the end.
Yes. Although in regards of RDR2 online, one issue was that RDR online really didnt have much other activities in it besides grinding, so it may not be the best example since the online didnt truly count as "RPG". However, in it most things cost 100-500 dollars, I saw a random dude streaming RDR who had something like 60000 dollars

I didn't talk about online, all examples i give is from SP, i don't care about online in any way shape or form for any game that is not mmo, mp for CP2077 is stupid and unneeded thing in my opinion.
Post automatically merged:

But back at topic nothing stop V to start with small amount of money, but too earn a lot of money by the mid or end game.

The coin weight (and amount on body) argument was interesting but is basically a non-factor for CP due to how weightless money can be at high amounts due to bill weight or it being stored electronically or digitally.

Yeah, i know but that was more about money in fantasy setting with swords and magic, like Witcher games for example.

Stored electronically is fine and good but, too have for example 60000 eddie in your pocket would still be taking a lot of pocket space :D

I think V should have enough money to buy equipment and consumables at least for three stocks. I mean V is a trained mercenary, and should have amassed good amount of money with such history. Unless V was a lousy shot and failed to complete any job in the past :shrug:

But to me, what matters most is the opportunities that we will get cash from. I remember that horse bets mini-game in GTA San Andreas which I earned millions out of it early in the game. Of course there will be side activities in Cyberpunk, but will they provide a high source of income? Hopefully, we will get something like that or the Krogan pit fight. Or even better, to participate in illegal robot bot fights like Hiro Hamada. He made a lot of money :D

Not sure what you can do with the money though. Would the best weapon be found in store or on a boss?

We've been told that you cant buy apartments. Thats the thing i'm most disappointed about. Forget all the 3rd pp / FPS nonsense, other little UI niggles or whether or not you can do a lightning bolt spell. They all pale to the fact that It shows that it's very confined to the story.

No moving on up in the world. No customized lair. No buying businesses or running gangs. No real free reign. Look but dont touch.
An epic city squandered.

Last edited:
I would be more happy with 3rd PP option, than with any apartments or buying businesses or running gangs side not

V is mercenary she can and should earn a lot of money, mercenary are not cheap, starting with little money is fine, but there is nothing that should stop you to earn a lot of money from both contracts and from selling gear you take from your enemy.

Top Bottom