Forfeit Mentality (and other issues)

+

Raunbjorn

I'm just tired of people DC'ing right after I'm playing my last card.

Unfortunately this is often consider bm (bad manners), so when you think you are being courteous the other person might be insulted. Noticed if you get GG's after those games ;)

I agree, just wasting more time to end the game when you're winning, is not cool at all considering how long matches take nowadays.

I suppose this is the only place for giving feedback, here is mine; players forfeiting in unranked quite often is really annoying, I still want to try my cards, complete contracts, its good to win the game but sometimes you just get into the game and the guy forfeits, im not saying to prohibit or give penalties to forfeiting, not at all. but let me put all my cards in try new stuff, learn, and complete contracts while doing so, when i let go i win, and let the forfeiting guy quit. this can make some contracts easier but I got into the match and I didnt want my opponent to quit, I should be able to go all the way to the end.

I think i gotcha.

You dont complaining about the "winning the game".
You complain about that your fun has been taken, by not able to doing your combos or etc.

Well, give up is just a thing. Getting really common nowadays. Im a guy who grown adult in the previous millenia. yeah, im old i know. But thats not the point. The point is compering "give attitude" response by others is different. Back then PPL laughed you, might even slap you to freakin' get up and keep marching... (Yeah! left, right, left right!)

Now? Now they just cry out laud and everyone jumping to make them calm and happy.

My generation knows something which this new one barley experienced: If you try you might not succeed but hell you get out more experienced, and if you keep doing it you will succeed one day BECAUSE of the previous experience you got. Nah thats something. That feeling worth 100 victories.

I have over 50 shadow-play video on my pc just to record combos and such. Building decks to copy, or counter them. And you know what? I did. I recently matched up with a guy he was strong for me, recorded him many times. figured out 24 cards of him deck. What are the chances? Extreme low. But its just happened. Built a deck to counter it, get out how the deck actually works with random opponents, and guess what! First guy who come against me was THAT guy. Beat the crap out of him.

Dat feeling...
Priceless!

That one single victory just earased that many punishing lost matches against him.
Odds been with me. I know.
But if i never try i never win. On my understanding that is the message what you posting here.

However forfeit is like a pandemic. No1 had it no1 been effected. No1 knows... till one day... Then the other guy got it... used it it too.. teach others... blahh blahh blahh so on.

Last edited:
I never understood what this discussion is about. Why would it be considered "bad manners" to forfeit to your opponent when you are sure that you will lose? I can forfeit and still give a GG if I enjoyed the game. Why feel annoyed that you weren't allowed to play your Isengrimm with a board full of elves and an advantage of 50 points? Do you enjoy winning or kicking a defeated opponent in the guts? To me this means bad manners.

DRK3

Forum veteran
Please dont ressurect threads from ages ago and comment like it was posted now.

I created this thread shortly after Gwent HC, and the context was very different, it was a transition period and players were figuring how to adjust to the changes. So please don't quote me out of context.

Unless I am running NG or playing ranked I always auto forfeit to NG. Sometimes even when I run NG I auto forfeit. Best way to force devs hands is to muck up the crown system. If people auto win to complete daily crowns then they play less. If they play less then it is bad for every aspect of gwent. Thus auto forfeit is best way to get positive change.

That's some truly twisted logic and makes no sense. CDPR have access to all data, including who forfeits matches constantly.

Fair, but they also see when the forfeit takes place. If you ban NG or occasionally NG and NR and then play 100% against the other factions, what message does that send. I only ban NR when I am running decks without proper removal. NG I ban because when I am not running net decks they are OP. I want to level up quickly for perks. Fastest way is to win. Auto forfeiting when I have an inherently lower chance is good for me. I get exp for the forfeit as well. Meanwhile the message I send is clear, NG especially in seasonal is OP. If everyone does it, then you play NG to quickly collect crowns and then you stop playing NG when you want to play gwent.

If everyone does it
Which will never happen. As just the "Nerf Nilfgaard" thread alone proves there are many people who don't even agree that the faction is OP.

Excessive insta-forfeiting has been punished in the past, too, so you may be digging a hole for yourself.

Which will never happen. As just the "Nerf Nilfgaard" thread alone proves there are many people who don't even agree that the faction is OP.

Excessive insta-forfeiting has been punished in the past, too, so you may be digging a hole for yourself.

If they do then they do. I cannot reject the matchmaking and I cannot filter out NG. If the devs decide to punish a player for not playing matches they don’t want to play then so be it. As for nerfing NG I would rather they buff SK, MO, and ST to make the matches more interesting. I don’t object in principle to NG but the imbalance is very profound in seasonal and not acceptable with no stakes in unranked. CDPR needs players, if they want to lose beta players because they demand I play matches that bore me so be it. That said, when enough of the player base sends a message the devs should listen. Those who want change have any easy mechanism to voice it.

That attitude would work with single-player games.

That is one way to look at it. Another is that people play games to get enjoyment. I am not a CDPR employee nor am I a twitch partner. I owe the company nothing more than what I choose to give them. That said, I am happy to spend my time on their game when I get sufficient return on my investment. My investment is my time and the opportunity cost of not playing something else, watching something else, etc... Why spend my time doing something I don’t enjoy? Playing against NG in seasonal is not fun. Playing against NG in unranked is not fun. So why do I owe CDPR my participation in parts of the game I don’t like? Especially when the reason I don’t like them is because of CDPR being lazy in fixing what they broke. The devs can make an example of me in any number of ways but that wouldn’t solve the problem of auto forfeit nor the underlying reason people do it. One easy fix is a seasonal matchmaking setting banning one faction. But they don’t do it because than nobody could play NG and NG fans would be stuck. I stand by my attitude and practices.

I strongly believe there is a place for forfeiture; but I also agree it is often abused. While people play a game so they can have fun, it needs to be recognized that the opponent also wants to have fun. Simple courtesy suggests one should not act to destroy an opponent’s fun. Something is definitely wrong if you are unable to have fun without destroying the enjoyment of others.

When someone forfeits after the initial card draw, because of a bad draw, I consider it poor sportsmanship. Bad draws are a part of the game — live with them. Even better, design a deck that can withstand a bad draw and enjoy the challenge.

If you don’t like my faction, at least give me the courtesy of seeing what I play — none of my decks are or ever will be the net decks you dislike.

If you are too impatient for the pace of the game, play something else!

And when you consider your situation hopeless, simply pass and let me decide whether there is reason to play out my cards. I assure you that I will be as efficient as possible.

So when is forfeiting appropriate? When you have been interrupted by life and cannot finish. Then courtesy suggests you should forfeit rather than making your opponent wait for time to expire.

I strongly believe there is a place for forfeiture; but I also agree it is often abused. While people play a game so they can have fun, it needs to be recognized that the opponent also wants to have fun. Simple courtesy suggests one should not act to destroy an opponent’s fun. Something is definitely wrong if you are unable to have fun without destroying the enjoyment of others.

When someone forfeits after the initial card draw, because of a bad draw, I consider it poor sportsmanship. Bad draws are a part of the game — live with them. Even better, design a deck that can withstand a bad draw and enjoy the challenge.

If you don’t like my faction, at least give me the courtesy of seeing what I play — none of my decks are or ever will be the net decks you dislike.

If you are too impatient for the pace of the game, play something else!

And when you consider your situation hopeless, simply pass and let me decide whether there is reason to play out my cards. I assure you that I will be as efficient as possible.

So when is forfeiting appropriate? When you have been interrupted by life and cannot finish. Then courtesy suggests you should forfeit rather than making your opponent wait for time to expire.
Some things to consider.

1. Some factions have an inherent advantage over other factions. For example, monsters usually play on their own side of the board. NR runs a lot of damage of orders. In a ranked game the MO player is stuck. In a non ranked game one has the luxury of considering the odds and deciding if the chances of victory are worth their time. I would always FF to NR when using MO unless I had reason to believe I could compete (season of the bear last year is a good example.) The same is true for NG over NR. In fact, with uprising and HC both nerfed and NG not nerfed, the lock, poison, and high utility cards give NG an advantage over everyone.

2. My time is worth more to me than your enjoyment. I don’t mean to be rude, it is just how I see the game. If I have a hand missing all my key cards (happened a few times today,) then the best I can hope for is to tap dance in the round and make it to the next set of draws. Now I could wait, gamble with my time and hope my opponent doesn’t know how to take advantage or I can cut my losses and seek out a more competitive game. You might find it to be bad sportsmanship, but you get the win anyway. All you are missing out on is the opportunity to play a game against someone who cannot properly execute their strategy. If it is not fun for me I generally don’t see why I owe you my time in sticking around.

3. I think you underestimate how bored people get playing the same match over and over again. Just because you don’t run netdecks doesn’t mean you don’t run the same basic synergy as other NG players. The primary reason I auto forfeit NG is that I will get five NG matches before I get one ST or MO. SK is distant 3rd to NR and good luck finding an SY to play against in seasonal. Having left before SY debuted and coming back last month, the freshness of playing with and against SY is a major draw. I don’t feel that playing NG.

When you add these factors together you get a pretty straightforward reason to auto forfeit, especially when the game doesn’t do faction challenges, new content updates, any form of serious balancing updates, and no special events outside of one seasonal concept per month. They don’t even run puzzles anymore. It’s hard enough having fun playing gwent, it gets harder playing the same match over again with a sizeable handicap.

Hi!

Where may I find more information about what punishment is warranted for forfeiting?

As somebody has mentioned, sometimes life happens. I think I forfeit a lot XD

A ban from the game has been it in the past.

Seems kinda silly IMO. I get using some form of discipline (maybe no daily crowns for a week, or no exp until x number has been lost,) to enforce your rules, but losing players from an already limited player base just seems like cutting off your nose to spite your face. Especially since volume players are the ones most likely to skip matchups they don’t want.

Top Bottom