The General Videogame Thread

+
I'm not going to play 2 without playing through 1 first.
Also, I don't even have Origin installed so I'd have to install both that and 2, whereas 1 I have on Steam just one install away.

I don't like playing sequels before the first game. Same with Portal, Trine, Dishonored, even Fallout... and the Witcher games I also played in order.

That's fine. Just saying that the 2nd one is a big improvement and I personally never finished the 1st just expect the 3rd one to be a downgrade xD

Ooohhh, a rumored remastered Mass Effect trilogy? :oops:I’d like to see that become a reality, it’s one of those game sagas that I never got around to play in the day. Hopefully a well-done remaster (with, for instance, improved gameplay and loading times for ME1) could allow me to finally enjoy them :ok:

This one got me interested, loving the artwork. I just hope it's not just a walking/swimming simulator though.

[...] but the 2nd is one of the best RPGs made.

...and then EA made the 3rd one Origin exclusive and messed up the ending. A shame, really.

Either way, it's not one of the best RPGs, for me. That list has some heavy competition. Regardless, I did enjoy part 2.

...and then EA made the 3rd one Origin exclusive and messed up the ending. A shame, really.

Either way, it's not one of the best RPGs, for me. That list has some heavy competition. Regardless, I did enjoy part 2.

I mean yeah at this age the game shows its age and there are more compelling RPGs out there but I just feel like not many games have made me care about those other characters as that one and back then they were the only ones who got the romance aspect right. Well... that was before Witcher 3 came out and showed what a sex scene should be like making ME2 look like playing pretend.

[...] but I just feel like not many games have made me care about those other characters as that one [...]

Okay, I can understand that. I've played the game and it felt "cinematic". And that's precisely the issue. It was simplistic, straightforward and forced. That sounds negative, but I don't really mean it that way (except for the forced part). The devs made a choice to deliver the game in a certain way, less subtle and more "in your face". It's like a rollercoaster. You go along for the whole ride and you cannot get off halfway.

Now, let's take almost the exact opposite game: Planescape: Torment. That game didn't spell out anything for you. You actually had to look for the story and character development yourself. It was basically possible to speedrun the game and skip every character development and pretty much most of the story. In these situations you can truly discover the game. And because of that, it felt like your choices mattered more. Incidentally, the choices weren't streamlined down to 3 (good, neutral, bad'ish), either.

While on the subject of PS:T, I have to mention Baldur's Gate, which had one of the most complex character relationship mechanics ever seen in a videogame and the game wasn't even about that. However, it added one extremely crucial aspect to the game, which almost every RPG gets wrong: the social interaction. When you put two people in a party who don't like each other then they are going to complain. Throughout Baldur's Gate (and PS:T), you'll have these little chats between party members when they respond to a particular situation. It's not always the same and it depends on your actions and the party members. Because of this, every time someone starts a discussion, it feels like you have actual people in your party. These little details flesh out the game, not a super cool cinematic script and/or a forced choice who you'll have to sacrifice.

Don't get me wrong, I like Mass Effect 2 for what it delivered, a streamlined cinematic experience. Cool? Yes. Top 10 cool? No.

I think they are currently working on a new baldurs gate and I probably will try it when it comes out. The old one feels a bit too dated for me to enjoy and way too much text which I kinda have an issue with as reading through incredible amounts of text constantly tires me out of the game and I also hate skipping.

Glad CP2077 will be voiced dialogues makes me far more invested personally.

:shrug:

CGI bullshot with maybe what, 2 seconds of in-game footage? Totally useless. CGI trailers should be banned by law.
The director said it was all in game footage, so what I think we see is mostly pre-rendered cutscenes with the visuals cranked to a level that won't be in the actual game. So maybe not actual CGI but yes, it's bullshots.

:shrug:

CGI bullshot with maybe what, 2 seconds of in-game footage? Totally useless. CGI trailers should be banned by law.

Well, all of that looked like in-engine footage to me (next-gen lighting could look that awesome, but textures and animations don’t make it look CGI enough) but yeah, perhaps another time we’ll see some proper gameplay. The people at Ubi usually do decent-enough gameplay demos for their big games.

By the way, personally I believe CGI trailers, and in-engine cinematographic trailers too, have their place in the industry, as long as they’re not too disingenuous like, for instance, the infamous Dead Island trailer.

Other then the announcement of Yakuza 7 for PC and the conference reminding me that Bloodlines 2 is coming out this year (and looking pretty good, outside of outdated visuals and those distracting TPP cuts), nothing really grabbed my attention. AC is another AC (with some trailer shots and locations being almost a borderline The Witcher 3 plagiarism), so whatever, Medium from Bloober Team is another horror game from Bloober Team, so also whatever, and there were some standard looking indie games which also didn't look very appealing. So far I fail to see the reason to call those new consoles a next gen, since none of the games that's been shown looks like they are taking a real advantage out of them.

So, about the games shown today, the ones that got me interested are:
  • Scorn: I already saw the previous videos of this game a looong while ago, and my interest for the game after this trailer is still there. My only concern about it for now is that its visuals might get too gross and monotonous for my taste :-/
  • Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines 2: my expectations with this one remain mild: not hoping for it to blow my socks off but not expecting the worst game ever either :shrug:
  • Call of the Sea: It looks like it’s going to be an walking simulator/puzzle game of sorts so it’s intriguing enough for me. Plus, those visuals look charming.
  • The Medium: Art style inspired by Beksinski, and music done by Akira Yamaoka? You got my attention! :cool:
  • Yakuza 7: This one looks pretty fun! But first, I want to play the previous parts of the saga, at least the ones on PC.
  • Assassin’s Creed: Valhalla: I’ll probably play this one eventually, but first I’d like to see some actual gameplay :LOL: And also I want to finish the two previous ones before getting to it.
So far I fail to see the reason to call those new consoles a next gen, since none of the games that's been shown looks like they are taking a real advantage out of them.

Yeah, so far I agree. Regardless, for me PC will keep remaining my platform of choice, no console—current or upcoming—has given me enough reasons to purchase it. Only the Switch but baaarely, I’m interested in just a little few of its exclusives.

I'm not going to play 2 without playing through 1 first.
Also, I don't even have Origin installed so I'd have to install both that and 2, whereas 1 I have on Steam just one install away.

I don't like playing sequels before the first game. Same with Portal, Trine, Dishonored, even Fallout... and the Witcher games I also played in order.

ME 1 is really good! While I don't think the gameplay and mechanics are as as fluent as 2, I like the game more. As 4RM3D stated, some of the story is crammed down the player's throat covered in exposition sauce...but it's also really good exposition. Combat is a bit clunky, but not extremely clunky. Environments are fantastic. (The Mako is so, sooo stupid. [The Mako is also great fun!])

ME 2 is a solid Great all-round. I, personally, did not like the more action-based combat. Better controls, but less about using team tactics and more about Call-of-Duty-ing your way through fights.

ME3's major flaw was its pacing and the (original) story flub. Not only did they drop the ball and fail to bring the entire trilogy to a satisfying ending...they popped the ball, then boiled its remains and dragged it through the gutter. Supposedly, the ending is in much better shape now with all the DLC. (If only such were possible for Game of Thrones...:-/)

The director said it was all in game footage, so what I think we see is mostly pre-rendered cutscenes with the visuals cranked to a level that won't be in the actual game. So maybe not actual CGI but yes, it's bullshots.
Well, all of that looked like in-engine footage to me (next-gen lighting could look that awesome, but textures and animations don’t make it look CGI enough) but yeah, perhaps another time we’ll see some proper gameplay. The people at Ubi usually do decent-enough gameplay demos for their big games.
1588877759673.png

1588877827357.png

1588877908294.png

Only the last image is the real game, first 2 are CGI scenes.

So far I fail to see the reason to call those new consoles a next gen, since none of the games that's been shown looks like they are taking a real advantage out of them.
It's still too early, next gen stuff will be shown in june and july, but yes, so far all that announced power seems just the same as buying an high end pc = just better graphics, no real innovation.

P.S.

It makes me physically sick and I'm not kidding. I really need to puke.

Last edited:

It's not a hardware issue, it's how the games are made. All of the games we saw were made primarily for the PS4 and Xbox one, so.. They look the part. They're just cranked up to their pc counterpart quality. Only from now onwards devs(or most of them) will start making stuff that would take full advantage of the new console capabilities. There's a transition period that need to happen before we start seeing the difference. Right now, that difference is mostly in frames per second.

Last edited:
and more about Call-of-Duty-ing your way through fights.
Doesn't sound like my cup of tea. Never played Call of Duty (FPS is a genre I have never had any interest in) but I know what they're like.

But at my current rate it'll take me a decade to even start the game. :ROFLMAO:

Top Bottom