Forfeit Mentality (and other issues)

+
Other reasons for forfeiting a game: YOU GOTTA GO!
Games take a long time and something can happen(like it does to me many times) where you must leave the game for real life reasons.

-Someone in your household needs to speak with you, now.
-Someone at the door.
-You get an important call.
-Toilet emergency? XD
-The cat/dog/whatever messy animal you live need atention(they really want to go out), or break something.
-You tried to squeeze a game before a deadline and figured you're late mid match because it took too long(maybe you get a ropey opponent)

I mean all those are rare but happen, you should count these forfeits towards the total.

BTW. this thread was after the Shupe Faction challenge debacle and the Seasonal Damiens. In the Shupe Faction challenge people just played Shupe R1 T1 and insta forfeit(because that's all you needed to complete missions). In the seasonal where you could spawn 18 Damiens, every time you faced NG you were obligated to play the same unwinable, looooong, tedious game, or forfeit.

Back then there was an unusual amount of give ups for those reasons.

I personally only do it when the oponent has already won(at R2 or 3) and is just playing cards 4 the lolz. I have my priorities, so I forfeit.

Last edited:
Games take time. I value mine, so I forfeit if I predict it will be boring. Usually it happens when I see meta decks.
And yes, I know how to beat those, it is just not fun to do it for the hundredth time. So I save time and quit to hopefully encounter an interesting opponent in the next game.

DRK3

Forum veteran
For those worried they might get banned from too much forfeiting, they probably shouldn't, that has happened in the past but i think it has only happened to players doing it a tremendous amount if times to get free xp or some exploits, if you're doing it just to avoid matchups against a certain faction or leader i dont think that will lead to a ban or any consequence.

And yes, you're not a true Gwent veteran until you've had to forfeit a match because its taking too long and the toilet is calling for you... :shrug:

A ban from the game has been it in the past.

Wow! Were the banned players exploiting something?

Or were they just forfeiting to avoid playing certain factions, like Mr Wonderboy?

I thank you very much for taking the time to reply.

EDIT: I think I've already got my answer. I believe you don't get experience for forfeiting ASAP. Thus, I fail to see the exploit.

Last edited:

Guest 4375874

Meta decks I imagine are the main reason....The game needs balancing. I began forfeiting matches automatically SY since Hidden Cache became a thing. I'd be wasting my time and until the Devs balance the game I would never bother playing them again. I suggested in another topic that they need to add a Filter or an option to opt out of the matchup without penalty because the devs are slow to balance the game. I decided to just quit the game for a bit but a filter would have kept me playing at least

Wow! Were the banned players exploiting something?

Or were they just forfeiting to avoid playing certain factions, like Mr Wonderboy?

I thank you very much for taking the time to reply.

EDIT: I think I've already got my answer. I believe you don't get experience for forfeiting ASAP. Thus, I fail to see the exploit.

You get 25 exp for leaving before playing a card. You get 3 exp per card played. So if you play first and then leave that turns into 28. I just leave without playing a card (quickest way and no exploit intended.)

Unnecessary forfeiting does more damage than denying opponents the opportunity for for achievements: it wastes their time (especially, if after sitting in a queue for sometime, the opponent quits before a card is even played), it denies possibility of progress toward quests and daily crowns, it denies experience.

Moreover, some forms of unnecessary forfeiting thwart the probability component of the game. If all players simply forfeit because they get a bad draw or a bad matchup, there is no incentive to design decks that reduce the chance of those events. No wonder the game becomes stale.

Unnecessary forfeiting does more damage than denying opponents the opportunity for for achievements: it wastes their time (especially, if after sitting in a queue for sometime, the opponent quits before a card is even played), it denies possibility of progress toward quests and daily crowns, it denies experience.

Moreover, some forms of unnecessary forfeiting thwart the probability component of the game. If all players simply forfeit because they get a bad draw or a bad matchup, there is no incentive to design decks that reduce the chance of those events. No wonder the game becomes stale.

Daily crowns are awarded regardless. Daily quests can usually be done quickly with specialized decks. Contracts is your only real point, and again for you to get the benefit of playing against a bricked opponent that bricked opponent must spend a bunch of time playing a match they know they have little to no chance of winning. Not likely to occur in any CCG.

Forfeiting in Gwent. Lately, with HC i think this issue, if you consider it as such, has been getting out of hand.

I remember when i started over 2 years ago, it took me months before forfeiting the 1st time (didnt even know there was that option), and didnt find many players doing this either. Even when taking a beating, i felt i was learning with the process, and there were still strategies to explore.

As time progressed and the playerbase increased, forfeiting became regular, as netdecks became a thing, and experienced players already knew what was coming most of the times. After Midwinter, with the lack of updates and changes, this lack of originality got worse, understandably...

Fastforward to now, HC era. Everything is new again, and i hoped more players explored the new possibilities, and stayed in-match, to learn with their mistakes. Instead what do we get? Players who forfeit at the first instance of something not going as they had planned.

This has another strong cause: the new pace of the game (a.k.a. slow as hell). I think this is aggravated by the game being more technically demanding - my crap desktop is laggy as hell and the game feels unresponsive, when before it flowed wonderfully. This is the only valid reason i can understand all these quitters.

At the same time(!), i feel the game doesnt give enough time for each turn, since now you dont have to just play a card, but have to coordinate orders, leader and card. In most cases, its more than enough, but in others... For ex. yesterday i built a NG Tactics deck, that i really loved, but it had so many interactions sometimes i wasnt able to do all things i wanted!

But back to forfeiting. Yesterday, in 5-6 hours of playtime, i had over 25 players forfeiting. This isnt a brag, it's a problem.
Im not even playing the annoying decks like artefact heavy, Eithné, heavy control, reveal. I was actually playing things i had never seen in HC like tactics, weather, ...
I noticed how players were caught offguard by the cards i played. Instead of wanting to know more, they forfeited.

This becomes even worse, when you're about to do an achievement and the opponent forfeits. Example: i wanted to exploit the fact no one is using resilience, even when in most R2s players drypass and let the other do whatever he wants, so both start R3 with 10. I put my dwarves, but the bastard forfeits before i even pass. Poof.

TL;DR: stop forfeiting left and right.
Victory or Death is the way to go, no Forfeit even when facing Certain defeat.:cool:

Also remember Vesemirs lesson, about asking for water when getting Hanged, Anything might happen before the game ends if you don't Forfeit.

A lot of times, people forfeit because they are being outplayed or have make a big mistake. Agreed with the poster above.

These days I forfeit much more often than ever before.

And it's not a mentality. Just a (hopefully) temporary reaction to the current state of the game.

I come here to enjoy the game. Time is limited. When there is no fun in a certain game, I'd rather forfeit and play another one.

In the seasonal mode, at higher prestige level, you are matched with the same people quite often.

I dont like fighting 50% of the matches, since I know the decks people are playing.

I'm very afraid of forfeiting, since I recently spoke with a player who got banned this month. Yet I dont want to play against same people.

DRK3

Forum veteran
In the seasonal mode, at higher prestige level, you are matched with the same people quite often.

I dont like fighting 50% of the matches, since I know the decks people are playing.

I'm very afraid of forfeiting, since I recently spoke with a player who got banned this month. Yet I dont want to play against same people.

Just out of curiosity, was it that player i complained about?

Also, its true that at high levels you are matched far too often with the same players, i forfeit instantly often, specially when its on the same session, im using the same (memey) deck, they're using the same (tryharder) deck, and i dont need the deja vu.

Forfeiting should be acceptable as long as you're not doing it systematically and have a valid reason to do so.

tuesday when the new journey quests came, the opponent played mage while I played witchers (2nd stage). both of us had pretty whacky decks but I had the upper hand. it was honestly pretty fun but then my opponent played his last card and instantly forteited, leaving me with a 9/10 witchers played quest and my last card, being a witcher, in hand :facepalm: why are people like that..

You are free to disagree with CDPR's policies, but you are NOT free to attack them for enforcing them. This is not, and never will be, the place for such things. Posts deleted.

Wouldn´t it make sense to give no EXP at all for forfeiting players. Then there is no reason to ban them.

If you give no exp for forfeit then you force players to double pass to exit without disconnecting. It would be harder for them to track and would waste more time for the non offending player. The only way your suggestion works is to discontinue exp for losing player which would cause significant harm to player interest.

If you give no exp for forfeit then you force players to double pass to exit without disconnecting. It would be harder for them to track and would waste more time for the non offending player. The only way your suggestion works is to discontinue exp for losing player which would cause significant harm to player interest.

There are numerous alternatives. If you want to reward people for playing, and not forfeiting, grant them xp for playing a certain number of cards. Right now you are rewarding people for forfeiting, then ban them afterwards. How are people to know this is an exploit? If you tell them they are in disbelief, as no reputable company allows an 'exploit' to persist for that long, while continuing to ban people for taking advantage thereof.

Any system would be better than what we have currently.

Top Bottom