What Started It All For You To Like SciFi/Fantasy?

+

So what made you like the genre of SciFi/Fantasy?

• The Matrix

Votes: 7 11.9%
  • Altered Carbon

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Neuromancer

Votes: 3 5.1%
  • Star Trek or Star Wars

Votes: 25 42.4%
  • Battle Angel Alita

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Ghost In The Shell

Votes: 8 13.6%
  • A book , not mentioned here

Votes: 18 30.5%
  • A movie, not mentioned here

Votes: 12 20.3%
  • A game, not mentioned here

Votes: 11 18.6%
  • LOTR

Votes: 15 25.4%

• Total voters
I didn't see another thread like this, so... :smart:
Ideally, this is a thread saying what really started it all for you in liking SciFi/fantasy.

For me, it was star trek which leads me to a "little" book series called Dune, The Matrix series (including The Animatrix), a dash of Ghost In The Shell, Serial Experiments Lain, the book series of the witcher and the manga of Battle Angel Alita and so much more. (and of course a few sessions of DnD.)

If something in the poll isn't mentioned feel free to talk about it.
So what started it all for you?:shrug:

Last edited:
As a middle school kid we read (and OF COURSE did the mandatory book report) "The Hobbit" as part of a literature class.

As a middle school kid we read (and OF COURSE did the mandatory book report) "The Hobbit" as part of a literature class.
well I wish we read that in middle school, instead, we got War and peace, lord of the flies , the hatchet...not complaining lol just would have preferred the hobbit :cry:

That would be Doctor Who for me.

Around the time of Tom Baker (early 80's)

That scarf was fabulous.

It was a looong time ago, in a memory far far away, but pretty much any episode with the cybermen & I remember one with this plant that just kept growing & growing, taking over everything in it's path, sorta like The Blob. Creepy. Ooh, & the first time I heard & saw Davros. Damn!

Moved on after Tom & only checked back in when David Tennant was the doc (my girlfriend at the time was a fan). He was excellent. I don't remember many of those episodes very well either as I was always baked, but the one with the weeping angels is burned into (what's left of) my brain. Great stuff.

Last edited:
For me Harry Potter(kids those days wish for Hogwarts invitation) came first then LOTR and Sci-Fi movie journey always Star Wars.

Actually, there was an awesome cartoon around the same time call Ulysses 31. Maybe that came first..? It was set in space, with a Greek mythology thing going on.

I still play the part of the theme song I remember every now & then in my head.

"...UlysEEeeEEeeEEs always fighting all the evil forces, bringing peace & justice to aaall" (80's drum fill)

Classic

Star Trek, and sci-fi classics by authors like Arthur C Clarke, Isaac Asimov (loved his Foundation series especially!) and Ray Bradbury.

Fantasy? I've no idea; it's a genre I've been a fan of for 20 years. One of the earliest ones I read was "The Neverending Story" but it wasn't the one. An even earlier one was "The Little Vampire", a book series.
It was definitely a book, in any case.

Scifi? Well, that's easy. The Hitchhiker's Guide trilogy. :cool:

Gee it`s so long ago :ROFLMAO: I watched stuff that my older siblings watched , Logan`s Run , Rollerball , Star Wars and Star Trek .

It was a looong time ago, in a memory far far away, but pretty much any episode with the cybermen & I remember one with this plant that just kept growing & growing, taking over everything in it's path, sorta like The Blob. Creepy. Ooh, & the first time I heard & saw Davros. Damn!

Moved on after Tom & only checked back in when David Tennant was the doc (my girlfriend at the time was a fan). He was excellent. I don't remember many of those episodes very well either as I was always baked, but the one with the weeping angels is burned into (what's left of) my brain. Great stuff.

I met David Tennant, at a version of Comicon he is exactly how you imagine him in real life. Fun and quirky, I also the silence and the weeping angels burned into my brain as well... I can' remember the alien race that's responsible for the episode that created the meme "Hey Who Turned Out The Lights?":ROFLMAO: and the waters of mars was a good one as well.

For me Harry Potter(kids those days wish for Hogwarts invitation) came first then LOTR and Sci-Fi movie journey always Star Wars.

:ROFLMAO:I totally understand I actually have never seen a Harry Potter Film, I have only read all the books. not by choice it's just whenever the films came out something always came up and I never saw it. due to the COVID stuff though should be able to now, what house do you think you'd be in?

Actually, there was an awesome cartoon around the same time call Ulysses 31. Maybe that came first..? It was set in space, with a Greek mythology thing going on.

I still play the part of the theme song I remember every now & then in my head.

"...UlysEEeeEEeeEEs always fighting all the evil forces, bringing peace & justice to aaall" (80's drum fill)

Classic

I don't know why that gave me he-man, transformers vibes :ROFLMAO: I'll see if I can find that somewhere and watch a few episodes. have a particular episode that you loved?

I would argue the Witcher for fantasy; Star Wars maybe for sci-fi.
...well what genres would you put the witcher and star wars in?

My mom and dad would watch Star Trek: TNG when I was a kid. I thought it was cool.

I know that feeling buddy, I love TNG and Voyager, especially 7 of 9 and the story arch of a human becoming borg and trying to interact with human social life and the issues she faced were a pretty cool perspective of world-building. Who's Your favorite char from TNG?:ROFLMAO:
Star Trek, and sci-fi classics by authors like Arthur C Clarke, Isaac Asimov (loved his Foundation series especially!) and Ray Bradbury.

Nice! I do love Aasimov, Bradbury I also forgot to mention Philip K dick as well he's done some pretty awesome stuff as well. which is your favorite book from Clarke and Bradbury?

Fantasy? I've no idea; it's a genre I've been a fan of for 20 years. One of the earliest ones I read was "The Neverending Story" but it wasn't the one. An even earlier one was "The Little Vampire", a book series.
It was definitely a book, in any case.

Scifi? Well, that's easy. The Hitchhiker's Guide trilogy. :cool:
Neverending story is so dope I remember going to blockbuster to watch it at home. I think there was also a cartoon for it as well I loved that! I have not heard of "The Little Vampire" but definitely sounds like something to check out. Hitchiker's guide, Great Choice! While I'm here I'll ask you if you have a towel and know what the meaning to life is?:ROFLMAO:

Gee it`s so long ago :ROFLMAO: I watched stuff that my older siblings watched , Logan`s Run , Rollerball , Star Wars and Star Trek .

Logan's run and Rollerball have been on my list to watch for years, Thank you! For reminding me I will watch them this weekend.:ROFLMAO:

Fantasy - most probably it was Tolkien's "Lord of the rings"

Sci-Fi - Stanisław Lem's "Solaris" and "Fables for Robots"

Started with Golden Age science fiction / horror movies on late night television. Watched them with my parents on Saturday nights. I also enjoy the dystopian movies from the 70's like Soylent Green, Silent Running, and Logan's Run.

Then graduated to novels. Started off with space operas and then moved on to cyberpunk and dystopian futurists like Dick and Bradbury.

Started with Golden Age science fiction / horror movies on late night television. Watched them with my parents on Saturday nights. I also enjoy the dystopian movies from the 70's like Soylent Green, Silent Running, and Logan's Run.

Then graduated to novels. Started off with space operas and then moved on to cyberpunk and dystopian futurists like Dick and Bradbury.

SOYLENT GREEN!!! Yes I haven't heard of that movie in so long, It's a great film...come to think of it that would be a really cool remake.
Post automatically merged:

Fantasy - most probably it was Tolkien's "Lord of the rings"

Sci-Fi - Stanisław Lem's "Solaris" and "Fables for Robots"
That is some very accurate categorization :cool:I can definitely see what you mean

Old guy here.
It was kinda started both by Masters of the Universe back in the mid eighties, closely followed by seeing A New Hope around the same time.

Does The Little Prince count as both sci-fi and fantasy? If so, then that was the one that started it all for me :giggle:

It's not my favorite anymore, but it was definitely Star Wars: A New Hope. Also the Star Wars: X-Wing book series by Michael Stackpole was the first book series I was really into. Sad it's not considered part of the canon anymore.

Top Bottom