What Started It All For You To Like SciFi/Fantasy?

+

So what made you like the genre of SciFi/Fantasy?

• The Matrix

Votes: 7 11.9%
  • Altered Carbon

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Neuromancer

Votes: 3 5.1%
  • Star Trek or Star Wars

Votes: 25 42.4%
  • Battle Angel Alita

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Ghost In The Shell

Votes: 8 13.6%
  • A book , not mentioned here

Votes: 18 30.5%
  • A movie, not mentioned here

Votes: 12 20.3%
  • A game, not mentioned here

Votes: 11 18.6%
  • LOTR

Votes: 15 25.4%

• Total voters
SCI-FI: Starship Troopers - that alien anatomy class was cool.

FANTASY: Morrowind - The immersion followed by a well done soundtrack. So cool. But damn those pesky Cliffracers! Reason why I never completed the game.

Old guy here.
It was kinda started both by Masters of the Universe back in the mid eighties, closely followed by seeing A New Hope around the same time.
Who was your favorite character in He-man and what made you like them ?
Post automatically merged:

Does The Little Prince count as both sci-fi and fantasy? If so, then that was the one that started it all for me :giggle:
I don't believe I have read the little prince , but if that's what lead you down the path of liking Scifi/Fantasy then sure it counts :ROFLMAO:

H.G. Wells and R.E. Howard.

Yeah H.G Wells was way ahead of his time , I wish he got to see what 2020 looks like now and what people can do in comparison to his time. what is your favorite H.G wells book?

SCI-FI: Starship Troopers - that alien anatomy class was cool.

FANTASY: Morrowind - The immersion followed by a well done soundtrack. So cool. But damn those pesky Cliffracers! Reason why I never completed the game.
Starship Troopers that is a great movie :cool: Morrowind I didn't finish because ... there was a lot to do and I kept getting distracted lol

It's not my favorite anymore, but it was definitely Star Wars: A New Hope. Also the Star Wars: X-Wing book series by Michael Stackpole was the first book series I was really into. Sad it's not considered part of the canon anymore.
I'm sad most of the work LucasArts did isn't canon anymore like the old republic:giveup:

Last edited:
Who was your favorite character in He-man and what made you like them ?
Hhhmm, tough question tbh.
Figure wise I have to say Beast-Man. The bright orange with white and blue cheeks and the aggressive face. Really liked it.
Also Faker. Light blue and bright orange. Seems I really liked the flashy ones with good contrast colors haha.

When it comes to the cartoons, radio play cassettes and comics then obvisously He-Man.

Hhhmm, tough question tbh.
Figure wise I have to say Beast-Man. The bright orange with white and blue cheeks and the aggressive face. Really liked it.
Also Faker. Light blue and bright orange. Seems I really liked the flashy ones with good contrast colors haha.

When it comes to the cartoons, radio play cassettes and comics then obvisously He-Man.
I feel like you went back to the days of your love of He-Man. and had a nostalgic moment. but I mean for a kid during that time I'm sure the bright consisting colors were super appealing.

I saw a lot of B-science in the late 80's and early 90's (cheap Alien, Star Wars and Terminator clones, for example) that made me love scifi.

I grew out of fantasy when I turned 20.

I saw a lot of B-science in the late 80's and early 90's (cheap Alien, Star Wars and Terminator clones, for example) that made me love scifi.

I grew out of fantasy when I turned 20.
I love B movies, I'm sure that you have a good list, got any faves?

Those were good times. Indulges in nostalgia.
other than he-man, what else did you love about living in the 80's?

I remember watching Star Wars, I think it was Episode 5.

Then, later I remember watching LOTR series but I was still young so I didn't really know what was going on but I knew the basic. I didn't see all the movies but only segment of the movies. Actually, I saw the final movie all the way but the other two movies I didn't see all the way.

With Matrix, I've seem all the movies. The first was the best and the last movie was the worst. Kinda disappointing that they couldn't get one of the actors to play in the second movie.

There was also book I read in middle school that was recommended to me. The books were separated into three series and each series has a new main character. I noticed that when I tried to rent the fourth book. The first series was the best then the third series. The second series was the worst.

When I was in 5th grade, I took out The Hobbit from the school's library. I loved it so much, that my parents bought me a copy a few days later. That year, for my "graduation" from elementary school to middle school, my grandparents gave me all 3 LotR books (which I didn't even know existed at the time).

Life literally changed forever.

One thing I'll also add here: though I read hundreds of sci-fi and fantasy novels after that, I did not actually read Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time series until I was in my thirties. This was a grave error on my part that I will never forgive myself for. If you have even a passing interest in fantasy and have not yet done so, be sure you read The Wheel of Time series ASAP. Tolkien gets the throne, but WoT is literally sitting on the arm of the chair.

other than he-man, what else did you love about living in the 80's?
The music on the radio. Synth everywhere but also discovering Michael Jackson, Queen and all the songs/albums coming out at that time which are still classics.
Also all the good movies which a lot of them I only saw in the early nineties when I was a bit older. Your Schwarzenegger, your Stalone movies etc.

If you have even a passing interest in fantasy and have not yet done so, be sure you read The Wheel of Time series ASAP. Tolkien gets the throne, but WoT is literally sitting on the arm of the chair.
This! ^

Dark Planet, a film by Fyodor Bondarchuk.

I don't remember how exactly I learned that this movie was, in fact, a screen adaptation of a Russian novel by Arkady and Boris Strugatsky, Prisoners of Power, but once I have, I had an urge to read the actual novel itself.

The movie wasn't even that good, but I guess the kid me enjoyed it enough to get interested in the story and overall setting of the thing. So I asked my parents for that book as my New Year's present, gladly received it and... well, the novel ruined the film, to be honest, even for the kid me. It was a story about a guy who, as many others in that book universe, roams outer space, possibly contacts the civilizations to find, but never interferes or directly attempts to change their way of living.

Long story short, my interested started with that one single book, which turned out to be a part of a trilogy about Maxim Kammerer - the trilogy turned out to be a part of the so-called Noon universe the Strugatsky have created. Not sure if it was for my age or anything else that sparked my passion for sci-fi, but it did, as well as it encouraged me to read more books.

Kinda glad I saw Dark Planet back then. Sure, it turned out to be less appealing, but the thing actually pushed me to one of my biggest (if not the biggest) interests I still have today.

Anyone else into Russian/Soviet/Post-Soviet sci-fi literature around here?

I love B movies, I'm sure that you have a good list, got any faves?

It’s been around and over 30 years. I can’t even remember the titles of some of them.

There some obvious ones like Creature and Galaxy of Terror. Then there’s the cheese like Battle Beyond the Stars and that weird Lou Ferrigno’s Hercules movie that had robots in it.

Don’t know about favorites, but those came to mind first.

Oh, and the Italian-made Jaws knockoffs like Monster Shark and Tentacles are just hilarious, but that’s beyond the scifi topic here.

Oh? People wanna talk older si-fi cartoons?

And while I'm not quite old enough to remember the original release of this I remember watching it on TV.

Tom Swift books that involved space. Written in the early 1900's they really were imaginative.

Definitely Star Wars, don't we all? I watched the new hope with my dad when I was a little boy, and it blew my mind, forever changed my genre into Sci-Fi. Can't wait for cyberpunk.....

Top Bottom