Cerys needs a nerf

+
This card pretty much makes the game. Turning it around in two rounds gives 25+ points in total. The effect of this card is too much for the price of it. And the spawned creatures are the worst for removals - 4 points is too much for most row removals and it's not enough for high removals.

This card pretty much makes the game. Turning it around in two rounds gives 25+ points in total. The effect of this card is too much for the price of it. And the spawned creatures are the worst for removals - 4 points is too much for most row removals and it's not enough for high removals.

Easy solution give Cerys doomed and make it permanent (not able to be purified.) Or make her an order card rather than a deploy ability card.

[...] give Cerys doomed and make it permanent (not able to be purified.)

This would make doomed inconsistent. You could make a new status, but that would be overkill for Cerys (and confusing for the rest). So, let's not. Regardless, making her just doomed is already decent. Because, if you want to resurrect Cerys, then you need another card to do so, which is already enough of a nerf.

Easy solution give Cerys doomed

Easy solution for sure, but also a boring one. At some point the game will become perfectly balanced and completely uninteresting.

This card pretty much makes the game. Turning it around in two rounds gives 25+ points in total.

It's not for free. Cerys is 11 provision, Lippy is 10. If you want to be almost sure to get your combo pieces you have to invest additional provisions (Matta 9 or maybe Royal Decree 10). It can get quite costly.

100% agree. Cerys is broken, if you can play her twice. That insane R1 tempo is nearly impossible to match and 19p uninteruptable play in R3 is also not OK.
I think she should get the "Luisa treatment".

I honestly do not think that Cerys needs a nerf.
To use Cerys you have to run Ursine Ritual as your leader ability or using her becomes very gimmicky.
Having played Lippy decks with Cerys myself I can assure you that the deck is a lot more fragile than you imagine and reusing her in Round 3 is not as trivial as it may sound.
In fact the deck is maybe tier 2-3 at best and due to its nature loses in a long round 3 (which means that losing Round 1 is somewhat of a death sentence), even if one does not brick.

Guest 4398794

Imo is enough if you give order to shieldmaiden only. And berserk 2 instead of 3 and give doomed for the one which was spawned

rrc

Forum veteran
Making her an order card will just kill her. Instead she can be removed from the game. NO. A decent solution is to revert her change and reduce her provisions, even to 8P is fine; that is, Summon the cards from the deck instead of Spawning. Or make her doomed so that she needs an additional card to provide 19p tempo in R3. Or maker her Spwan at Berserk 3 (not my solution, someone else suggested it), so that 4 pings need to be used to get 15 and 19 point insane tempo. Or make her 12P.

But this 11P is not a nerf, but is a huge buff to Cerys. As soon as they said that, SirPumpn mentioned that it is a huge buff to her since, previously she was contending with Totem, RD, Lippy at 10P for Matta. Now, she is the top provision card and is consistent with Matta. On Blue Coin, it is nearly impossible to avoid losing on even unless you commit like crazy, where as you see carry-over after carry-over getting played by SvalBlod (Raging Bear, Roach, ArmoredDog, Cerys, Vildakarl) putting incredible tempo while doing so.

I wouldn't say Lippy is bad. It is an interesting card. But Cerys providing huge tempo and carry-over is a bit too much. But my Lacrete/Triss decks can own this deck so will any row punish cards. But if you don't have row punish, if you get blue coin against this deck, it is almost game over.

Guest 4398794

Easy solution for sure, but also a boring one. At some point the game will become perfectly balanced and completely uninteresting.

It's not for free. Cerys is 11 provision, Lippy is 10. If you want to be almost sure to get your combo pieces you have to invest additional provisions (Matta 9 or maybe Royal Decree 10). It can get quite costly.
But it works 9 times out of 10.
Post automatically merged:

Lippy could be changed instead, when you use lippy gives doomed to all cards moved back from graveyard.

Btw anything reused from graveyard should get doomed. They were dead once

There's an imbalance between her options that's for sure, as almost nobody uses her for the Ranged option. It might be interesting to make the Melee option Order dependent to encourage more of a decision there. The irony of course with all of this, is the devs' intended nerf raising her provision to 11 actually turned out to be a buff as it made her a guaranteed Matta target. You could take out the Spawn as another option, and just use Summon, but then that opens her [abuse] up to more than just Ursine Ritual.

There is of course the other broader look into just how effective Matta and Royal Decree are, in that they're effectively auto includes in so many top tier decks nowadays. No cards should be this good.

Royal Decree might benefit from a Provision hike, and Matta could perhaps also do with a points nerf or provision hike.

Last edited:
There's an imbalance between her options that's for sure, as almost nobody uses her for the Ranged option. It might be interesting to make the Melee option Order dependent to encourage more of a decision there. The irony of course with all of this, is the devs intended nerf raising her provision to 11 actually turned out to be a buff as it made her a guaranteed Matta target.

There is of course the other broader look into just how effective Matta and Royal Decree are, in that they're effectively auto includes in so many top tier decks nowadays. No cards should be this good.

Royal Decree might benefit from a Provision hike, and Matta could perhaps also do with a points nerf or provision hike.

The way you fix Matta is by changing her function. Player draws their highest provision card, opponent draws a random card. This way, instead of giving a bronze card which is often not nearly as valuable, you run the risk of triggering the opponents best combos. You can still do it for your own consistency, but you have a significantly higher risk of backfire.

But it works 9 times out of 10.

Lippy could be changed instead, when you use lippy gives doomed to all cards moved back from graveyard.

Btw anything reused from graveyard should get doomed. They were dead once
Ehm, sorry, but I disagree with the last sentence because interacting with the graveyard is specifically a SK faction thing, also, just because they are dead doesn't make them "doomed", that's the whole thing with keep on fighting after being ressurected and death not being the end for SK warriors.

(However, lorewise I don't get why Lippy can basically "ressurect" the graveyard... if that ability were on a svalblood priest type card I'd get but why Lippy can switch the deck around, hmm.)

And as for putting Doomed on Cerys, that does nothing because all SK decks run the 6-body purify druid anyway.

Also, I actually think she is a really good card. I hate the tempo, sure, but the card itself makes real sense. That she can so easily be replayed is the problem. And to the person that said the Lippy/Cerys deck was "fragile", I'm sorry, I've been playing really a lot these past weeks and I've encountered this deck many many times and only very very few times did I manage to deny my opponent to replay the combo which required me to have the ultimate draws myself so that I could deny a 3rd round, so from my experience this deck is so incredibly consistent especially with the buff to 11 prov+Maata. I guess that is good for the Lippy player but very frustrating for everyone else =)

If you nerf Cerys you make a tier 3 deck unplayable, why even bother. You get less diverse meta, with more Harmony and poision coming your way. Good luck with streamlined progression through ladder.

Guest 4398794

Ehm, sorry, but I disagree with the last sentence because interacting with the graveyard is specifically a SK faction thing, also, just because they are dead doesn't make them "doomed", that's the whole thing with keep on fighting after being ressurected and death not being the end for SK warriors.
Well, they still could play the graveyard again, just not 3 times.
And for the purify, well they will use on the doom and not for ex your defender.

Well, they still could play the graveyard again, just not 3 times.
And for the purify, well they will use on the doom and not for ex your defender.

Tripple Cerys ? Must be tier 1 deck.
All you have to do is to draw it round 1, use Lippy Round 2, draw Cerys round 2, ressurect Lippy round 3, draw cerys round 3. And of course you have to avoid to not getting you'r Shield maiden locked, or accidentally draw them during those 3 rounds.
Totally OP, no RNG, skill intensive play. Seems legit.

Congratulations, you just created a tier 1 deck. Welcome to the Meta-Snapshot.

Guest 4398794

Tripple Cerys ? Must be tier 1 deck.
All you have to do is to draw it round 1, use Lippy Round 2, draw Cerys round 2, ressurect Lippy round 3, draw cerys round 3. And of course you have to avoid to not getting you'r Shield maiden locked, or accidentally draw them during those 3 rounds.
Totally OP, no RNG, skill intensive play. Seems legit.

Congratulations, you just created a tier 1 deck. Welcome to the Meta-Snapshot.
Is this sarcasm?:shrug:

Is this sarcasm?:shrug:
No, it is a description of how to play tripple Cerys. With no interaction from your opponent (no locks or removal of shield-maidens, as you are not able to play Ursine Ritual leader, but Second Wind in order to ressurect Lippy for the tripple play. And not least, perfect Draw-RNG. You are able to pull this combo 100% of the time.

Immagine that you are sitting at pro-rank, wanting to get that sweet mmr. You have RNG on your side, and decide to play this deck, I mean by now, you sure have, since tripple Cerys is pretty OP, right ? So you get this deck, pray that the opponent doesen't react to your strategy, and go all the way to top 500.

Guest 4398794

No, it is a description of how to play tripple Cerys. With no interaction from your opponent (no locks or removal of shield-maidens, as you are not able to play Ursine Ritual leader, but Second Wind in order to ressurect Lippy for the tripple play. And not least, perfect Draw-RNG. You are able to pull this combo 100% of the time.

Immagine that you are sitting at pro-rank, wanting to get that sweet mmr. You have RNG on your side, and decide to play this deck, I mean by now, you sure have, since tripple Cerys is pretty OP, right ? So you get this deck, pray that the opponent doesen't react to your strategy, and go all the way to top 500.
I saw many of them.... and I'm not pro rank.
That or ball .
Good luck to me.... enjoy the variety what 2000+ cards in 6 faction with 6 different leaders can give.....:ohstopit:

The way you fix Matta is by changing her function. Player draws their highest provision card, opponent draws a random card. This way, instead of giving a bronze card which is often not nearly as valuable, you run the risk of triggering the opponents best combos. You can still do it for your own consistency, but you have a significantly higher risk of backfire.
You can twist that mata rework idea even more.
Player draw highest as it is now, and enemy a random GOLD. That's a risk for me.....

I saw many of them.... and I'm not pro rank.
That or ball .
Good luck to me.... enjoy the variety what 2000+ cards in 6 faction with 6 different leaders can give.....:ohstopit:

You can twist that mata rework idea even more.
Player draw highest as it is now, and enemy a random GOLD. That's a risk for me.....

SK has greatswords and Gedyneith as viable decks, besides Lippy. These decks perform better than Lippy, but somehow, people perceive Lippy decks to be better :shrug:

SK also has self-wound and Tall-Dracoturtle. The reason for it not being played is because of poison.
And in this poision meta you want to nerf decks, that actually can hold their ground against that nonsense. I mean, you pretty much kill SK at this point.
You sir, don't want any variety at all.

Top Bottom