Good Starting Cards for Nilfgaard

+
Yes, there would be no way around it if the faction in question didn't have an alternative. The thing is, there's at least two decently powerful and then many more meme-ish-yet-kinda-decent Nilfgaard decks that don't involve poison/Vincent Van Murlegem.

You'll understand soon enough.
Short version is - nobody likes it when an enemy deck can kill everything on your side of the board, and unfortunately this is exactly what's happening with Nilfgaard right now. A lot of people had to switch to decks that counter poison mechanic specifically.
(Expect a lot of voiced trying to disprove what I've just said. If you want to build your own impressions, try searching "Double Ball" here on forums and allocate some time for reading of the relevant threads)
Oh yeah, already encountered Double Ball (unfortunately). There was a dryad-spamming guy who was equally stupid. These decks are in the meta atm?

DRK3

Forum veteran
@Philido Your deck seems really good for someone just starting out, its not incredibly strong but it also doesnt have glaring weaknesses, it has plenty of counters and its easy to pilot.

Imperial formation is a good ability, the best of NG according to meta reports, specially for someone who doesnt rely on poison. And like you said, provides a reliable 13pts coupled with that Gold soldier, well distributed among several units.

The best advice for now is to not do anything crazy and spend all resources on an archetype, when there is a balance patch coming TOMORROW that could change everything and nerf many cards. Since poison is so hated and gets so many (rightful) requests to be nerfed, it's one of the prime targets for a nerf soon.

Regarding Defenders - they only serve to protect order units, engines and tall units, you have none in your deck. Typically Damien and/or Skellen are used in Imperial Formation, but they are risk cards - if they arent countered they provide a lot of points, if they are, then its almost a guaranteed loss, so that's why i said your deck is more consistent.

(EDIT) You said you're rank 26? You can easily get to Rank 10, maybe 5 with this deck.

Oh yeah, already encountered Double Ball (unfortunately). There was a dryad-spamming guy who was equally stupid. These decks are in the meta atm?
Yes and no.
Double Ball is a bit dangerous to play now (it was so obnoxious, that most people included anti-scenario cards in their decks), and some of them, like I've mentioned, switched to swarm decks (those that put out many low-value units on the board to avoid losing something valuable to unconditinonal removal).

Still, The Ball sees a lot of play as a part of a less vulnerable strategy called "Soldier Ball" (where you try to push r1 with soldiers rather than The Ball and basically spam one/two hit kills in round 3). It's every little bit as obnoxious as Double Ball and is harder to counter (listed as tier1 by certain pro teams). This one, thus, can be called meta.

In case of Dryads, it was probably a Harmony deck of some sort. If so, the answer is definitely "yes" again, since Harmony generates A LOT of value, while removing a lot of value from your side. The concept behind it is not that different from The Ball, except it's considerably less removal and a lot more value. Unsurprisingly, it's one of the playstyles that often comes up in "people we don't give gg to" thread.

See a pattern yet?
You can be very efficient while using decks from the Internet, but playing them has certain downsides.
First is that there's no satisfaction of figuring some strong unorthodox combo on your own. Which is, like, 50% of the fun in this game. But let's suppose you don't like tinkering around the deckbuilder, that's fine.

Secondly, if you play Poisonous Harmony, Uprising (especially the Draug variation), or, most of all, The Ball, people will hate your guts and won't gg most of the time. Not that it would lose you a lot of scraps/gold ore, but wouldn't it feel frustrating?

And lastly, and, perhaps, most importantly - they get boring really soon. Since such decks are built around strength and reliability, most games with them are exactly the same, like a Groundhog's Day. Same card order, same easy wins, same unpleasant hopeless defeats against people running anti-meta strategies. I suggest you don't listen to strong opinions about the game (mine included) and peruse every NG card you don't have on your own in the deckbuilder instead. Then decide what is strong and what probably isn't (and consequently test them in real games). Many times you will be wrong in your judgement, but these mistakes will give a lot of insight into the game mechanics.

And yeah, like the guy above said, the balance patch is nigh, and much of the advice we give you may be irrelevant tomorrow.

Yes and no.
Double Ball is a bit dangerous to play now (it was so obnoxious, that most people included anti-scenario cards in their decks), and some of them, like I've mentioned, switched to swarm decks (those that put out many low-value units on the board to avoid losing something valuable to unconditinonal removal).

Still, The Ball sees a lot of play as a part of a less vulnerable strategy called "Soldier Ball" (where you try to push r1 with soldiers rather than The Ball and basically spam one/two hit kills in round 3). It's every little bit as obnoxious as Double Ball and is harder to counter (listed as tier1 by certain pro teams). This one, thus, can be called meta.

In case of Dryads, it was probably a Harmony deck of some sort. If so, the answer is definitely "yes" again, since Harmony generates A LOT of value, while removing a lot of value from your side. The concept behind it is not that different from The Ball, except it's considerably less removal and a lot more value. Unsurprisingly, it's one of the playstyles that often comes up in "people we don't give gg to" thread.

See a pattern yet?
You can be very efficient while using decks from the Internet, but playing them has certain downsides.
First is that there's no satisfaction of figuring some strong unorthodox combo on your own. Which is, like, 50% of the fun in this game. But let's suppose you don't like tinkering around the deckbuilder, that's fine.

Secondly, if you play Poisonous Harmony, Uprising (especially the Draug variation), or, most of all, The Ball, people will hate your guts and won't gg most of the time. Not that it would lose you a lot of scraps/gold ore, but wouldn't it feel frustrating?

And lastly, and, perhaps, most importantly - they get boring really soon. Since such decks are built around strength and reliability, most games with them are exactly the same, like a Groundhog's Day. Same card order, same easy wins, same unpleasant hopeless defeats against people running anti-meta strategies. I suggest you don't listen to strong opinions about the game (mine included) and peruse every NG card you don't have on your own in the deckbuilder instead. Then decide what is strong and what probably isn't (and consequently test them in real games). Many times you will be wrong in your judgement, but these mistakes will give a lot of insight into the game mechanics.

And yeah, like the guy above said, the balance patch is nigh, and much of the advice we give you may be irrelevant tomorrow.
These problems come with a CCG, you will always have some high-end strategies, it was the same with YuGiOh Duel Links I used to play some time ago. As a new player, those meta decks are just a great opportunity to progress fast and learn the game while not getting stuck that easily. Hence I asked for good cards, I'm really looking forward to creating my own decks, but it's a long way until you have enough resources to actually experiment with legendaries as they are very costly to craft. There will always be a best way to win, and people will always exploit it, no matter what.
Post automatically merged:

@Philido Your deck seems really good for someone just starting out, its not incredibly strong but it also doesnt have glaring weaknesses, it has plenty of counters and its easy to pilot.

Imperial formation is a good ability, the best of NG according to meta reports, specially for someone who doesnt rely on poison. And like you said, provides a reliable 13pts coupled with that Gold soldier, well distributed among several units.

The best advice for now is to not do anything crazy and spend all resources on an archetype, when there is a balance patch coming TOMORROW that could change everything and nerf many cards. Since poison is so hated and gets so many (rightful) requests to be nerfed, it's one of the prime targets for a nerf soon.

Regarding Defenders - they only serve to protect order units, engines and tall units, you have none in your deck. Typically Damien and/or Skellen are used in Imperial Formation, but they are risk cards - if they arent countered they provide a lot of points, if they are, then its almost a guaranteed loss, so that's why i said your deck is more consistent.

(EDIT) You said you're rank 26? You can easily get to Rank 10, maybe 5 with this deck.
Glad you like it, I think I got really lucky with legendaries, I pulled Invocation, Vincent and Ramon so far :) Really curious about the patch, poison seems to be a very likely target to nerf if it's really that strong. I just hope that Nilfgaard remains competitive, maybe they buff the soldiers, I love them...

Last edited:
These problems come with a CCG, you will always have some high-end strategies, it was the same with YuGiOh Duel Links I used to play some time ago.
[...]
There will always be a best way to win, and people will always exploit it, no matter what.

True, but less true in case of GWENT. One of the coolest things about it is that with sufficient understanding of the game you can go off the beaten track and construct a deck that is strong against both netdecks and homebrews alike. If there's one thing about poison I don't hate, it's that it forced me to look for unorthodox solutions without resorting to netdecking. And the ones I found are all remarkably fun to play, while also quite strong. I am not the only one, naturally, as there's a lot of people whose experiments resulted in some kind of unusual-yet-strong hybrid. Case in point - yesterday I (miserably) lost a game to a player who was using neutral cards-only deck consisting of bandits exclusively. Neutral cards are typically weaker than faction ones in terms of provision/value ratio, yet he made it fly.

I feel as though most of such decks are found either in casual mode or in pro-rank ladder, though. People in ranked below pro are too obsessed with progressing to try anything funny, so you will keep seeing same decks over and over again, and at times the game will feel stale. Don't let it dishearten you and push for pro. Still, even while you're far from it, it's always worth it to have some trick up your sleeve to dumbfound opponents who expected yet another bog-standard cloned deck. What this twist is going to be is up to you. Preferably something that is strong on its own or is easy to combo with your main strategy. Doing this will give you an edge in many matches as people, obviously, don't try to prevent something they don't see coming:)
A simple example - one of the cheapest (in more than one sense) ways to disrupt your opponent is to surprise him with a quick Fisher King + Ofiri Merchant (+optional Infiltrator) (+optional Cynthia) combo. It sure won't win your round 1, but it will severely decrease their chances of getting a good hand in the following rounds. It isn't too powerful or, indeed, reliable, but in my experience it gives a big pause to people who play mindlessly copied decks, so there's that. Then there's gimmicky stuff like phoenixes that stay for another round, Syanna who lets you use next deploy ability twice...you get the idea.

As a new player, those meta decks are just a great opportunity to progress fast and learn the game while not getting stuck that easily. Hence I asked for good cards, I'm really looking forward to creating my own decks, but it's a long way until you have enough resources to actually experiment with legendaries as they are very costly to craft.
If you ever run out of quests, try Arena. Not only does it have a bunch of exclusive RP quests, but playing it will probably make your ore pile grow, even though you pay 150 for a pass. Winning at least three games per attempt will return this cost and give positive net result (very profitable, if you manage to win the entire run). Another good reason to try it is that it's a great way to get acquainted with certain cards/mechanics you don't often see in Classic Mode (and get a better sense of cards you do see, but don't play normally).
Also, don't forget to check Adventure tab to claim your Reward Points after playing for a while! Some people do, sometimes.

Top Bottom