Rewards System in Gwent

+
Since I completed journey a couple of weeks ago, I have been thinking about how the Journey rewards system (specifically reward points) compares to the Daily Crown system. I have done a basic look at some of the math surrounding how much Gwent a Gwenter must Gwent to receive a certain number of reward points.

If you see any errors, please let me know.

Starting Conditions/Assumptions
General

• Reward Points (RPs) gained from leveling up, daily quests, and contracts are not included as they operate independently of these reward systems
  • No RPs from GGs (Reward for reaching Prestige 8)
  • If not specified when I refer to rounds, I mean rounds won or total rounds won, not rounds played
Daily Crown
  • No RPs from minor rewards, only every completion of the crown (Not sure if this is still a thing, but it used to be a reward for reaching a certain prestige)
  • Standard 6/12/24/24 rounds per crown granting 2/2/1/1 RPs per crown
Journey
  • Crown pieces obtained from journey quests will not be included in the first set of numbers.
  • Player will not play more than 14 rounds a day because the first 14 rounds are worth double.
  • No fast travel payments
Math and Stuff
With the above conditions, it would take a player 1,200 rounds to complete their Journey. Going through the standard journey path would earn a player 199 RPs and going through the premium journey would net an additional 42 RPs for a total of 241 RPs. Another way of looking at this is it would take a player doing the standard journey to win six rounds to earn a single RP and a player doing the premium journey about five rounds to earn a single RP over the course of the entire journey.

The daily crown system is a little easier to look at. For completing the first daily crown, a player must win three rounds for a single RP. After completing the second daily crown, the ratio goes down to 4.5 rounds to an RP. This is still better than either the standard or premium journey, so is the case closed? NO!

We also receive Journey quests every week (3 for standard and 3 for premium) which shifts the math in favor of Journey, but there is a major difference between standard and premium (full disclosure: I purchased premium because it seemed like a minor price to pay for a MAJOR advantage in finishing Journey)

For a player taking the standard journey, if they complete all their quests for ten weeks (30 quests), then they will be at a 4.5 rounds to a single RP ratio. On the other hand, a player completing the premium journey only needs to complete 12 quests to be at 4.5:1. Even better, after a player completing the premium journey completes 48 quests (eight weeks), they are down to 3:1, equal to the daily crown system but getting more RPs over the course of it! It would take 20 weeks (60 quests) for the standard journey player to get there, but I think journey is only 14 weeks or so long.

My Suggestion
You as a reader might say, okay Rendaniz, whenever journey comes around, I should get the premium journey because it'll be better in the long run than Daily Crown, what else?

Once you complete your journey, you are back into the Daily Crown system, and honestly, it is a little disappointing. I personally completed the premium journey in 7 weeks, which is when the ratio is about equal to the Daily Crown system. The problem is now I have all these journey quests but no real inspiration to complete them. I know if I finish all the ones for the next few weeks, I'll earn 40 RPs and a Geralt trophy, but it feels lackluster.

I would like to pose the suggestion that the Journey "continues". I believe there should be a six level system after journey is completed. Every 24 CPs a player earns, they reach the next level. Once they complete all six levels, they go back to one, just like the daily sign-in rewards. Why six levels? In the standard journey path, a player would earn 5 RPs at some of the six level increments (6, 12, 36, 60, 66, 72, 90). Levels 1-5 would reward standard journey players 2 RPs and premium journey players an additional 1. Then every sixth level they would receive 5 and 1 respectively. This amounts to 6 rounds per RP for level 1-5 and 2.4 rounds per RP for level 6 for standard journey players and to 4 rounds per RP for level 1-5 and 2 rounds per RP for level 6 for premium journey players.

My suggestion would allow for the journey quests to continue being relevant after players finish the journey and would reward players for completing their journey by granting them more reward points for less playing time, which they definitely deserve after a long journey. This definitely is better for players who paid for premium and it could use a little bit of work for improving the players who decided to follow the standard journey only.

I'm hoping this will lead to a good discussion among players about these reward systems, so if any of you have suggestions, let's hear them!

Last edited by a moderator:

4RM3D

Ex-moderator
@Rendaniz, I've moved your post to a new thread and took the liberty to remove the now obsolete intro from your post.

Math:
You purchase premium journey, and compleate it after 2 months. With 240 reward points in total, you get 4 points daily on average.
This is better than the previous system, where you had to play 2 hours daily in order to earn 4 reward points. However, with journey you can play anytime you want. I started the 23'th of April, and compleated the journey by june 1'th. You dont have the same flexibility with old system.

Overall, you play much less for those 4 daily points.

You get 40 reward points by compleating all of the quests. Seems good for the time invested. After compleating the journey you are back in the old reward-system, hence you get the rewardpoints while compleating the remaining journey-quests. It can't be argued to be a time loss, since the most efficient way to earn rewardpoints anyway, is to win 1 round, and forefeit.

This system is very generous. And considering the cosmetics you are earning, the journey should be priced at 30-50 euros. (Measured relative to the existing prices in the shop, which is just stupid). 15 Euro, and you can still call the journey system generous.

Last edited:
Journey needs to add 1 point to every reward node including cosmetics. Let’s do some basic math using this journey as a template.

Journey is 99 levels

The average level is worth 2 points. It takes 6 wins to level up and 7 wins to complete the fresh bonus for the day. This means for 9 wins you get 24 + 16 = 40 crowns. 24 per level means you get 1.666 levels which we multiply by 2 (the average value of a level,) = 3.222. Those same nine wins get you 4 points in the daily system.

From a weekly perspective

60 quest crowns
98 fresh crowns (14x7)
98 crowns required to earn fresh crowns.

60+98+98 = 256 crowns. 256/24 = 10.67 levels per week. 10.67x2 = 21.34 reward points per week.

using the daily system and only getting 9 wins per day 7x4 =28

If you factor in the time required to do the quests, the math clearly favors the daily system. Also, the 5 point nodes are largely canceled by the 0 point cosmetic nodes.

Journey needs to add 1 point to every reward node including cosmetics. Let’s do some basic math using this journey as a template.

Journey is 99 levels

The average level is worth 2 points. It takes 6 wins to level up and 7 wins to complete the fresh bonus for the day. This means for 9 wins you get 24 + 16 = 40 crowns. 24 per level means you get 1.666 levels which we multiply by 2 (the average value of a level,) = 3.222. Those same nine wins get you 4 points in the daily system.

60 quest crowns
98 fresh crowns (14x7)

60+98+98 = 256 crowns. 256/24 = 10.67 levels per week. 10.67x2 = 21.34 reward points per week.

If you factor in the time required to do the quests, the math clearly favors the daily system. Also, the 5 point nodes are largely canceled by the 0 point cosmetic nodes.

Your math is a bit off.

Standard Journey
Takes 65 days to compleate.
28CP per day for winning 14 rounds.
10 weeks
60 CP per week for compleating the quests
Math: 65*28+10*60=2420

You get 200 RP for this Compared to 228 with the old system.
(Since you won 14 rounds a day, and not 18, which is the requirement for earning 4 points daily, over the course of 65 days, the total amount of reward points you would have earned with the old system is 14*65/18*4=202.
Basically no difference at all.

As you surely can immagine, the extended journey gives you the option to finish much faster, 52 days (8 weeks) to be precise. And for this you get 240 RP. Clearly better than old system.

You can't say that it is a waste of time to do quests, as it is a personal preference.
Also, if you solely focus on maximising the amount of reward points you earn, per time played, you would only be winning 1 round, and then forefeiting. This is the fastest method for grinding daily wins, and you can do quests at the same time. Yay.

Last edited:

nehu

Forum regular
its not little dissapointing, its huge dissapointment

i paid for fast travel, ive finished journey before first month ended

so now im progressing slower than ever before, even i spend $$ (until journey mod came i played totally free)

i dont get small rewards in daily crowns, i dont get well rested bonus, i dont get crown pieces for finishing weekly quests

i feel kinda robbed

its not little dissapointing, its huge dissapointment

i paid for fast travel, ive finished journey before first month ended

so now im progressing slower than ever before, even i spend $$ (until journey mod came i played totally free)

i dont get small rewards in daily crowns, i dont get well rested bonus, i dont get crown pieces for finishing weekly quests

i feel kinda robbed

How do you feel robbed, when the exact purpose of journey is to finish it ASAP, so that you can 'grind' reward points, through the old system.

And you still get 40 reward points for compleating all of the weekly quest.

nehu

Forum regular
How do you feel robbed, when the exact purpose of journey is to finish it ASAP, so that you can 'grind' reward points, through the old system.

And you still get 40 reward points for compleating all of the weekly quest.

40 reward points (which is like nothing) for 28$? i wont do same mistake again

i would find appropriate some boost for last two months too, not to nerf all former bonuses to zero ->

-> "i dont get small rewards in daily crowns, i dont get well rested bonus, i dont get crown pieces for finishing weekly quests"

one rich month followed by two poor months

Last edited:

DRK3

Forum veteran
Journey was probably a success, economically, because most players jumped in before any thought.

Even better, the players most who most likely bought the fast travel pass are the ones most devoted into the game and that needed it the least, completing the journey way earlier before some of the journey quests pop up, now they complain (im not talking about anyone specifically, ive already seen multiple players complaining, here and on reddit) :facepalm:

nehu

Forum regular
because most players jumped in before any thought.

thats it, i tought its like some premium pass, boost for 3 months, not just for one month

on top of that, with cut off small rewards in daily crown (i dont know how much its exactly, but i guess in such long run its quite high price, 3 months losing each day cards/scraps/ore), which makes that one rich month bitter one

whats really sad, i dont get even that bonus crown points (well rested bonus and for weekly quests), so i have to grind for just reward points in daily crowns anyway, so next virtual "losses" are 120+98=218 crown points each week, i feel like i paid for them (fast travel), but i dont get them

who didnt pay a single penny is getting that bonuses for a longer time, he has to grind less

which is quite odd, it sounds just like opposite to usual free to play model, where these ones have to grind the most

Last edited:
who didnt pay a single penny is getting that bonuses for a longer time, he has to grind less

which is quite odd, it sounds just like opposite to usual free to play model, where these ones have to grind the most

Not quite.
By grinding less, the journey is compleated at a slower phase, which means that you are missing out on additional reward points. One week equals to 14 or 28 reward points, depending on if you compleate 6 or 16 rounds each day.

You can't argue that you were put worse off, by purchasing fast-travel, as you are rewarded by continuing playing the game.

But I do understand that you feel that you overpaid for the fast-travel, with the expectations of keeping the well rested bonus, and having the quests count towards daily crow progression.

What CDPR should have done was to price the premium journey at 28$ as you suggested. Cosmetics are atleast worth that much.

nehu

Forum regular
i dont care about cosmetics :rolleyes:

but in anything else u r right, i shouldnt mix all my negative feelings in one boiling pot

im very doubtful if journey is worth that small rewards sacrifice

Not quite.
By grinding less, the journey is compleated at a slower phase, which means that you are missing out on additional reward points. One week equals to 14 or 28 reward points, depending on if you compleate 6 or 16 rounds each day.

You can't argue that you were put worse off, by purchasing fast-travel, as you are rewarded by continuing playing the game.

But I do understand that you feel that you overpaid for the fast-travel, with the expectations of keeping the well rested bonus, and having the quests count towards daily crow progression.

What CDPR should have done was to price the premium journey at 28$ as you suggested. Cosmetics are atleast worth that much.
If the Premium Journey price was $28 instead of $10, would anyone have bought it? That sounds like a terrible approach. I wouldn't have even contemplated the purchase at that price. Honestly, having paid only $10, I still feel a little ripped off knowing that the previous system, which didn't cost anything, was arguably more generous when you account for the small rewards.

nehu

Forum regular
I still feel a little ripped off knowing that the previous system, which didn't cost anything, was arguably more generous when you account for the small rewards.

short version of my toughts

i bought that bad joke for 28$, which had some effect just in first few weeks

In my opinion, the ten dollars I paid to start Journey (and again, I did not purchase any fast traveling) was well spent because I had two months of good rewards. I essentially played my 14 rounds a day and completed my journey quests as they came out and it took me seven weeks to finish.

My issue arose from completing the journey as a devoted player now means I get less RPs. As a player who spent the time to making their way through journey, shouldn't we get rewarded? That's why I am making the suggestion of six levels where every level a player earns 2 RPs from standard journey and 1 RP from premium. The sixth level will be 5 and 1.

The benefit of this suggestion is making the Journey quests still relevant to players who have completed their journey. For me personally, I have been playing my next seven weeks quests for no reason other than the trophy and the RPs. But finishing those 21 quests for 40 RPs is not a good deal. If they interacted with the level system though, that would be equal to almost 18 levels, or three times through my proposed six level system. That would get a standard journey player 45+20 RPs and a premium journey player 63+40 RPs for completing all the quests. That's a much better deal and in my opinion, is a way to reward players for completing their journey faster.
Post automatically merged:

Journey is 99 levels

60 quest crowns
98 fresh crowns (14x7)

There are some errors with your math Wonderboy870

If you win 18 rounds a day in the Journey system, you will get 14*2+4*1=32 Crowns/day. This amounts to 1.3 (repeating of course) levels a day in the journey system.

Analyzing at 18 rounds a day, let's look at it without quests. It would take a player a whooping 75 days to complete journey at that rate. That is 300 points in the Daily Crown system, and only 199 in the standard journey and 241 in the premium journey. That's not a great deal. BUT we do have quests and each quest individually adds 0.83 (repeating of course) levels.

Including completing all three quests (or six for premium) a week, it would take a player on the standard journey approximately 58 days to complete journey or a player on the premium journey approximately 49 days. This would be 58*4=232 RPs (Daily Crown) vs 199 RPs (Journey) for standard or 49*4=196 RPs (Daily Crown) vs 241 RPs (Journey).

At a rate of 18 rounds won a day, Premium Journey without fast traveling is clearly the best system.

At a rate of 6 rounds won a day, it takes 80 days to complete the premium journey and 115 to complete the standard journey (I think Journey is only 104 days long). In 80 days a player would receive 80*2=160 RPs (Daily Crown) vs 241 RPs (Journey). For standard, it is 115*2=230 RPs (Daily Crown) vs 199 RPs (Journey) which is essentially the same as 18 rounds won a day.

I think its pretty clear that premium journey is a better system than Daily Crown. Another advantage is that with the Journey system, you can play whenever you want. There's no difference if I play 14 rounds one day and 22 rounds the next. It'll give me the same amount of levels over those two days whereas I would only get 6 RPs in the Daily Crown system.

My hope is we can create a suggestion, such as my six level post journey system, that keeps rewarding players (especially the standard players who are disadvantaged by the Journey system) and continues to make the Journey quests relevant after completing the Journey.

Last edited:
In my opinion, the ten dollars I paid to start Journey (and again, I did not purchase any fast traveling) was well spent because I had two months of good rewards. I essentially played my 14 rounds a day and completed my journey quests as they came out and it took me seven weeks to finish.

My issue arose from completing the journey as a devoted player now means I get less RPs. As a player who spent the time to making their way through journey, shouldn't we get rewarded? That's why I am making the suggestion of six levels where every level a player earns 2 RPs from standard journey and 1 RP from premium. The sixth level will be 5 and 1.

The benefit of this suggestion is making the Journey quests still relevant to players who have completed their journey. For me personally, I have been playing my next seven weeks quests for no reason other than the trophy and the RPs. But finishing those 21 quests for 40 RPs is not a good deal. If they interacted with the level system though, that would be equal to almost 18 levels, or three times through my proposed six level system. That would get a standard journey player 45+20 RPs and a premium journey player 63+40 RPs for completing all the quests. That's a much better deal and in my opinion, is a way to reward players for completing their journey faster.
Post automatically merged:

There are some errors with your math Wonderboy870

If you win 18 rounds a day in the Journey system, you will get 14*2+4*1=32 Crowns/day. This amounts to 1.3 (repeating of course) levels a day in the journey system.

Analyzing at 18 rounds a day, let's look at it without quests. It would take a player a whooping 75 days to complete journey at that rate. That is 300 points in the Daily Crown system, and only 199 in the standard journey and 241 in the premium journey. That's not a great deal. BUT we do have quests and each quest individually adds 0.83 (repeating of course) levels.

Including completing all three quests (or six for premium) a week, it would take a player on the standard journey approximately 58 days to complete journey or a player on the premium journey approximately 49 days. This would be 58*4=232 RPs (Daily Crown) vs 199 RPs (Journey) for standard or 49*4=196 RPs (Daily Crown) vs 241 RPs (Journey).

At a rate of 18 rounds won a day, Premium Journey without fast traveling is clearly the best system.

At a rate of 6 rounds won a day, it takes 80 days to complete the premium journey and 115 to complete the standard journey (I think Journey is only 104 days long). In 80 days a player would receive 80*2=160 RPs (Daily Crown) vs 241 RPs (Journey). For standard, it is 115*2=230 RPs (Daily Crown) vs 199 RPs (Journey) which is essentially the same as 18 rounds won a day.

I think its pretty clear that premium journey is a better system than Daily Crown. Another advantage is that with the Journey system, you can play whenever you want. There's no difference if I play 14 rounds one day and 22 rounds the next. It'll give me the same amount of levels over those two days whereas I would only get 6 RPs in the Daily Crown system.

My hope is we can create a suggestion, such as my six level post journey system, that keeps rewarding players (especially the standard players who are disadvantaged by the Journey system) and continues to make the Journey quests relevant after completing the Journey.

I never addressed premium Journey because daily’s are free. You need to compare apples to apples. If you want to pay real money for extra resources than of course you get more than if you choose not to pay.

I never addressed premium Journey because daily’s are free. You need to compare apples to apples. If you want to pay real money for extra resources than of course you get more than if you choose not to pay.

That's true. The difference between Daily Crown and (standard) Journey is approximately 32 reward points as seen in my math above. There are 11 cosmetic nodes for standard journey and they only grant avatars, so adding 1 RP for each as you suggested would not cut it; it should be closer to three. Instead of that, I would propose that the rewards for levels 18, 24, 30, 42, 48, and 54 are all 5 RP nodes instead of cosmetics. This would grant 30 RPs. We could obviously debate the other multiple of 6 levels (78, 84, 96) could also be 5 RP nodes, which would further improve the numbers.

So that would solve the problem of standard journey players getting screwed by the Journey system, then both premium and standard journey players would benefit from the system. I guess its a matter of do players really want those avatars...

Post-Journey, I still think the six level system would be good. It would be no different than the improved journey system I just suggested, and premium journey players would still get a little boost with the extra 1 RP every level.

Last edited:
Top Bottom