Night City Wire - Media, News & Previews - links and discussion

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
- graphics are great, because, well, it runs on >$2k beast. Journalists say the demo looked worse than the NCW

I read a review which pointed out that Ray-tracing was disabled in the demo, although accompanying booklet or PDF said it would be present. Maybe lack of ray-tracing made it look not-quite-so-stellar as before.

It might have been also a regional thing - some places couldn't muster the hardware?

I read a review which pointed out that Ray-tracing was disabled in the demo, although accompanying booklet or PDF said it would be present. Maybe lack of ray-tracing made it look not-quite-so-stellar as before.

It might have been also a regional thing - some places couldn't muster the hardware?
I've heard the same from journalists who tried the game on a physical machine with 2080, i99000k and 32gb of RAM. No RTX but many more NPCs on the streets.

Adam Badowski right now:

So, did anyone found one preview with a journalist that actually care about in depth RPG mechanics instead of "Action, graphism, action, driving, action..."?

Well the made quite clear that the origin choice has a significant impact to the prologue and dialogue.

So, did anyone found one preview with a journalist that actually care about in depth RPG mechanics instead of "Action, graphism, action, driving, action..."?

Honestly, I don't really care about what they care about. I'd be the person buying the game. And... this is probably why I skimmed a lot of the links provided in this thread. I skipped portions of videos and whatnot too. The information itself is important. How some game journalist feels about it isn't.

If it makes you feel any better most of what I saw looked like a typical ARPG. Hence the action RPG comment earlier. A high quality ARPG, probably. An ARPG nonetheless. Basically, a first person TW3 in the CP universe.

The biggest question I have is what really happens when we call our cars while standing near a body of water? Free car washes for everyone....

Honestly, I don't really care about what they care about. I'd be the person buying the game. And... this is probably why I skimmed a lot of the links provided in this thread. I skipped portions of videos and whatnot too. The information itself is important. How some game journalist feels about it isn't.

Actually I didn't said that because I care about their advice, I said that because if they don't care they don't talk about.
I can find tons of journalist speaking about "weapon feeling" because they do care about it.
But informations about in depth RPG mechanics? None (for the moment at least). That's because they don't care.

Actually I didn't said that because I care about their advice, I said that because if they don't care they don't talk about.
I can find tons of journalist speaking about "weapon feeling" because they do care about it.
But informations about in depth RPG mechanics? None (for the moment at least). That's because they don't care.

Fair enough. Maybe they're not allowed to talk about it yet. I don't know. You know, let's roll out multiple night city wires, each talking about one thing, as damage control for the new and improved delay.

Even the Kotaku link on character customization in this thread leaves a lot to be desired. The bit about the classes not being a thing and the life-paths being referred to as classes isn't reassuring.... Beyond that it appears to be about visual character customization.

Yes, there isn't much talk of the RPG side of the coin. It's all action, action, action. So I can understand frustration there.

Some interesting info from a Polish site about the markers you can find on the map, which indicate either side missions or places/people/services you can visit/acquire:

So apart from shops where you can buy food, drink or guns you can find:

• medics
  • netrunners
  • martial arts instructors
  • ripperdocs
  • techies
  • sex workers
You can also go to a bar and have a drink. When it comes to map markers that are main/side quests or activities, they managed to notice:

• Gun for Hire;
  • Search and Recover;
  • Thievery;
  • Agent Saboteur;
  • SOS Merc Needed;
  • Special Delivery;
  • Traveling Vendor;
  • Convoy.
You can also get jobs from fixers or help NCPD so you will find following markers:
  • Fixer;
  • Client;
  • NCPD Scanner Hustles;
  • Assault in Progress;
  • Suspected Organized Crime Action;
  • Illegal Entry;
  • Reported Crime;
  • Cyber Psycho Sighting;
  • Suspected Smuggling Activity.
I know it's just a list but I think it's a nice sneak peek at the activities that will be waiting for us in the game world.

Some interesting info from a Polish site about the markers you can find on the map, which indicate either side missions or places/people/services you can visit/acquire:

So apart from shops where you can buy food, drink or guns you can find:

• medics
  • netrunners
  • martial arts instructors
  • ripperdocs
  • techies
  • sex workers
You can also go to a bar and have a drink. When it comes to map markers that are main/side quests or activities, they managed to notice:

You can also get jobs from fixers or help NCPD so you will find following markers:

• NCPD Scanner Hustles;
  • Assault in Progress;
  • Suspected Organized Crime Action;
  • Illegal Entry;
  • Reported Crime;
  • Cyber Psycho Sighting;
  • Suspected Smuggling Activity.

@Metropolice Yoo-hooo Metro, you see this yet?

Shit. They're actually gonna make me watch an anime, aren't they... And on Netflix, too - really would rather not give them money after they wasted the potential of The Witcher's excellent short stories.

Anyway, gameplay looks fun. Don't like the trailer in terms of style - feels neither punk, nor futuristic to me. Almost felt like I was watching a Michael Bay/GTA/CoD campaign trailer. The gameplay snippets looked promising though. It just worries me the type of person CDPR seem to be targeting with the marketing and - ostensibly - the game.

On that note, still concerned about the RPG depth. Previews have been gushing over the supposed "huge" amount of perks, but from my experience main stream journos consider anything with even a hint of complexity to be next level. Plus, a lot of these perks sound like they're just slight increases to skills, as opposed to anything substantial. For example, in TW3 those were usually grouped under 1 perk with multile levels, as opposed to being spread out over multiple perks, which seems like it's the case judging by some of the previews. This means that the actual number of meaningful perks might be much lower than it seems at first glance.

I think one preview mentioned that one of the devs was talking about decisions with delayed consequences (a staple of the first Witcher game) and the team discussing internally the value of creating content that a lot of players won't see. If this is true, I have to say that it upsets me that this is even a discussion point - it's a big part of what made The Witcher special and I hope to see more of that, not less. If the open world is getting in the way, I'd personally rather lose the open world than the other way around.

Car sections look good. Some previews have concerns over the driving mechanics, others say it's fine. I'm not expecting iRacing levels of driving mechanics here, so as long as the dirving is fun and doesn't get in the way, I'm good.

Life paths to me are both good and disappointing at the same time. I like the idea in general and I'm glad they're doing it, but where I'm disappointed is that this has already been done before and I have seen no evidence that CDPR are trying to push it further. They seem to have just settled for the established norm in that regard. I expect more from them, personally.

Combat looks fine - nothing mindblowing but I don't really expect that from an RPG. The tighter the combat, the more I suspect its RPG roots are weaker, tbh. Point in case: ME1 vs ME2.

I cringed when V said 'hella' :facepalm:. Teenagers talk like that, not adults.
Keep in mind, Night City is in California :p Also, teen lingo today is the adult lingo of tomorrow and so on.

What does bother me though is that from all the previews and from what we've seen, there haven't been any normal-feeling characters. Everything I've seen has been of characters being turned up to 11, which is something The Witcher was able to avoid and do far better imo - creating believable characters.

The Cyberpunk approach (from the admittedly little material we've seen) seems closer to Blood and Wine or GTA/RDR's side content, where every character needs to be wacky or unusual in some way. In B&W it was fine because it was an expansion and it fit with what Toissaint is like. In Rockstar's games, it just means I can't take the side content seriously because you have a fairly serious main plot with good characters, and side content that seems like it's a parody.

What The Witcher did well was to put normal (but still compelling) characters in unusual situations and I hope there's more of that in Cyberpunk. I know it's meant to be style over substance in Night City, so maybe it's a problem with the IP itself, but it is a problem. There needs to be a balance, especially when we're talking about a long game like this. Even the 1 corporate agent we've seen was over the top. Hopefully, it's a case of only seeing so little of the game, as opposed to something that's prevalent throughout the whole game.

But nitpicks aside, game's looking solid overall, November can't come soon enough.

Few seconds of katana gameplay at 6:50, I really don't understand why journalists have different B rolls, finding all the stuff will be a nightmare, FFS!

Not in english, sorry guys.

///////////////////////////////////////////////

Quests with required levels are confirmed, same for DMG scaling with enemies' levels. I've already found my personal biggest flaw of the game and it hasn't come out yet. :cry:

@Metropolice Yoo-hooo Metro, you see this yet?

Oh lordy, no. Well, until now. Thanks for the heads up!

Haha, I'm semi squealing and still processing the new content slowly, piece by piece. When I saw one video that showed the various character intros with some commentary (forgot which one), I first saw the Nomad one where the Sheriff slowly walks into the garage and I'm softly smiling, like "Okay, nice, the first sort of (out-of-city) law enforcement guy we see".
Then the street kid car-theft scene with Jackie plays out and suddenly NCPD pulls up and my previous smile got even bigger. Even though they kinda appear dodgy, which is part of the image however.

It's probably very trivial for many other people who've seen that but I'm already making a small collection and might slap screenshots of the various officers into the law enforcement info thread in due time. I mean now we actually saw an up-to-date glance at the various coppers, not minding the 2018 deep dive video.

And the quote above gives me a big smirk or hope. Still very curious to see at what exact level or interaction you might be able to work with some of law enforcement, possibly also depending on your background (maybe more on average as Corpo than street kid? Who knows...)
I get it won't be a full career path but I'll take any side activity or side quest or even soft reputation building or perk and there's probably a lot to do in Night City there for some favor or quick buck.

But of course, this is all a niche bonus for me. The icing on the cake in addition to the rest. I'm generally looking forward to seeing the world, main plot and various backgrounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom