Night City Wire - Media, News & Previews - links and discussion

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Quests with required levels are confirmed, same for DMG scaling with enemies' levels.

From what i saw, i have some info. Some actions is stats gated, such as car hijacking, you need stats to do that, multiple streamers note this, i think it can translated to the most of activities. Also, some jornos says that stats are affects the weapon handling, weapon accuracy and spread (dunno, videos doesn't show anything like that). And that's all i saw and hear about RPG elements, not counting some dialogue variants which also can be displayed if you have some stat.

I also have to watch 10 hours of impressions. :oops:

-Interesting information on a collectible, in this case 'Shards' described as 'book-like devices strewn' in which you can extract data from them that explains short stories or lore of Night City.

-You can drop off Junk (resources you don't want) at a drop point, in the form of Kiosk that serves as a selling station or sell them them as extra credits when visiting weapon store (such as Handcuffs you've looted)

- Examples of looted items listed in this article; Burritos, Empty Syringes, Handcuffs.

- SHe found rare crafting materials and an interesting Sniper Rifle on a rooftop while travelling an empty lift

On NCPD Scanner Hustles activity;

"
Then, there are NCPD Scanner Hustles, which are basically tasks put out by the Night City police department that anyone can take on. There were six icons to mark the various kinds of criminal activity that needed addressing, but I didn’t get a chance to check out what they all meant in the map legend. I certainly ran into some violent gang activity while driving around, however. It went from something as mild as a few people running around a corner yelling about gunfire, to full-on explosions and firefights a few blocks away from my destination. It seems there are all sorts of people causing mischief in Night City.

Another activity involves tracking down bounties — dead or alive. I wasn’t entirely sure if this was something that aligned with the Scanner Hustles, but after I had upgraded a certain eye part, I was able to get more data after scanning people. Many are just random civilians, but some are affiliated with gangs or criminal activity and have a bounty on their head. You don't have to act on a bounty when you see it, though. I encountered a person with a bounty while finishing up a side quest in a small shop. I figured a skirmish in there wouldn't end well for me, so I passed on the opportunity."

Yep. I hoped till the last second but that's what we'll get. :giveup: And just to make things worse, you don't unlock higher level missions with time, but you can collect them from the very first moment and keep them in your menu, so there's the usual "I need to save that guy quickly, let me level up 5 times and come back in few days"...

The precise example was: "a fixer gave me a quest, I went there to do it, 2 hits and I was dead. So I opened the menu and saw it was a level 9 quest, I was level 4".

Last edited:
And just to make things worse, you don't unlock higher level missions with time, but you can collect them from the very first moment and keep them in your menu, so there's the usual "I need to save that guy quickly, let me level up 5 times and come back in few days"...

The precise example was: "a fixer gave me a quest, I went there to do it, 2 hits and I was dead. So I opened the menu and saw it was a level 9 quest, I was level 4".

So just like in TW3 if I remember correctly?

It's a bummer, but on the other hand in open world game you cannot predict where the player will go and in which order he will complete the quests. You probably can try to gate SOME of them, but I don't think total control is possible.

So just like in TW3 if I remember correctly?

It's a bummer, but on the other hand in open world game you cannot predict where the player will go and in which order he will complete the quests. You probably can try to gate SOME of them, but I don't think total control is possible.
yes.

There are many possible solutions, the easiest is just to make quests appear only after some requirements are satisfied, like in GTA or RDR2... And instead of having e.g. heywood lvl 6, pacifica lvl 18 etc. you distribute quests all over the map from the beginning and unlock them with time. Think a wedding cake, but instead of having each slide divided in levels, you have "levels" distributed around the "floors", each of these floors is unlocked completing quests from the floor below (or main quest).

The way it is now, night city is not an "open-world" setting but a linear game in a big map.

Anyway, I've explained my point several times in the last 2 years, quite useless to insist now.

Last edited:
Yep. I hoped till the last second but that's what we'll get. :giveup: And just to make things worse, you don't unlock higher level missions with time, but you can collect them from the very first moment and keep them in your menu, so there's the usual "I need to save that guy quickly, let me level up 5 times and come back in few days"...

To be honest, this annoyed me in Witcher 3 too. But I never really expected CDPR to deviate from this, as they are really hard-set on holding on to certain old concepts, levels being one of them. It does not make the game impossible to play, but it is annoying to have same enemies be way tougher in one mission than the other, both acquired at the same time. It also means we can outlevel missions that have been stuck in our quest log.... same old concepts, same old problems.

What does bother me though is that from all the previews and from what we've seen, there haven't been any normal-feeling characters. Everything I've seen has been of characters being turned up to 11, which is something The Witcher was able to avoid and do far better imo - creating believable characters.

The Cyberpunk approach (from the admittedly little material we've seen) seems closer to Blood and Wine or GTA/RDR's side content, where every character needs to be wacky or unusual in some way. In B&W it was fine because it was an expansion and it fit with what Toissaint is like. In Rockstar's games, it just means I can't take the side content seriously because you have a fairly serious main plot with good characters, and side content that seems like it's a parody.

What The Witcher did well was to put normal (but still compelling) characters in unusual situations and I hope there's more of that in Cyberpunk. I know it's meant to be style over substance in Night City, so maybe it's a problem with the IP itself, but it is a problem. There needs to be a balance, especially when we're talking about a long game like this. Even the 1 corporate agent we've seen was over the top. Hopefully, it's a case of only seeing so little of the game, as opposed to something that's prevalent throughout the whole game.

Yeah this is a good point and one I had touched on after watching the 2018 trailer. 'Style over substance' as a design tenet has always worried me. If everyone we meet behaves like some amped up Tarantino character, it'll be overkill. Rockstar does it in every game and it feels like a contrivance after a certain point. CDPR knew how to balance different tones in The Witcher perfectly - you got tragedy, humor, intrigue all complimenting each other. I hope they can do the same with CP.

'Style over substance' as a design tenet has always worried me. If everyone we meet behaves like some amped up Tarantino character, it'll be overkill.

"Maxim #37: There is no "overkill". There is only "open fire" and "I need to reload."
Schlock Mercenary, "The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries"

I am happy as long as the citizens are unique, and don't all sport cybernetics. There needs to be variety. There needs to be light so that there can be dark, etc etc. Thing that REALLY annoyed me about Deus Ex HR and MK was that every single citizen seemed to have cybernetics for no particular reason. They also appeared as carbon copies of one another

NCPD caps look weird, something wrong with proportions.

NCPD cap.png

Arasaka sumo-bodyguards look so cool though:

Arasaka bodyguards.png

The scene with twins that wanted to have even stronger bond so they became 1 person in 2 bodies. Even though it's just a scrappy looking fight scene, it touches slightly on transhumanism and if it's just body or also personality modification.

fight scene.png

Climbing those buildings to watch the cityscapes will be glorious.

city.png

Style is there:

style.png

Walking in there for the first time will be something.

afterlife.png

So much detail!

Yeah this is a good point and one I had touched on after watching the 2018 trailer. 'Style over substance' as a design tenet has always worried me. If everyone we meet behaves like some amped up Tarantino character, it'll be overkill. Rockstar does it in every game and it feels like a contrivance after a certain point. CDPR knew how to balance different tones in The Witcher perfectly - you got tragedy, humor, intrigue all complimenting each other. I hope they can do the same with CP.

Yeah, you need some sense of normalcy to make the unusual stand out. When everything is special, nothing is.

I don't necessarily mind 'style over substance' either, it just needs to be applied within reason and still needs to feel grounded. It might be something that works well in a tabletop setting, where the people playing aren't necessarily great storytellers, but that's hardly the case here.

Sken

Forum veteran
Loved what I am seeing, and very interested in brain-dance. Hopefully its not overused, and there are options for relaxation, entertainment, and so on.

I like the concept of each Night City episode focusing on a feature, this time brain-dance, maybe next time RPG mechanics.

Where I see the need for improvement is in the trailer. The quick cut trailers are just not very good, too busy.

My preference would be a 'Welcome to Night City trailer', similar to the Witcher game-play trailer which slowed things done, and explained the game.
Link for reference:

I know still a work in progress, but as many others have said, population density was not on display. Roads were empty, the clubs had very few people in them. Pop in, in the Badlands was too close to the player and highly noticeable.

Otherwise, amazing piece of work, you can really see the effort , hard work and passion that has been poured into this project.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom