CP2077 KATANA GAMEPLAY REVEALED

+
1st 20 seconds of the video:
the gameplay shows startgame V, so there's no things like enhanced reflexes and speed or blocking bullets with katana

what do you think about the katana animations?
personally I'm glad to see that cdpr went with more of a flashy katana attack animations rather than clunkier realistic animations to fit the cyberninja character movements, however the slashes seems to be too small, not looking like you can cut too many enemies at once with them. it also feels kinda odd to see katana's constant middle guard, pointing the blade forward in 1st person while moving. the weirdest looking thing imo is how V stays in middle guard even while jumping. the animation of blocking and sprinting with katana is fine. I really like the life steal mechanic with it tho, encouraging katana player to be aggresive in combat, letting the gameplay be dynamic.

I'm wonder how it will look with 3rd person mod...

Last edited:
There was one review I read/watched who didn't like the katana. Overall I haven't heard or seen much about it, so it's difficult to gauge it one way or the other on early gameplay without enhancements

yes, but we can talk about the little things we can already see there, like animations and some mechanics even without enhancements

Well, melee cannot been done well in FPP (even in VR FPP it's far from perfect) unless almost automated, so I'm not disappointed nor surprised.

Looks like my dream melee build is coming to life. This along with the op looking mantis blades

Though I wish they took notes on Shadow Warrior 2 and Killing Floor in regards to the weight of the slashes. The animations here is just so abrupt that feels weightless. Just my two cents but maybe this was intentional by design. I wouldn't really mind either way

Wait wait hold the phone, they removed the flathead?

Is that true? I was looking forward to playing with it :giveup:

the gameplay shows startgame V, so there's no things like enhanced reflexes and speed or blocking bullets with katana

what do you think about the katana animations?

Well her posture holding the katana look silly as all hell as can be expected from first person perspective. If V was holding the katana properly, only the tip of the sword would be visible in the enclosed funnel that is FPP.

As to the attacks, it looks good enough. I don't expect the world nor do I want CDPR to waste more time on this than necessary. It only needs to be "good enough".

Wait wait hold the phone, they removed the flathead?

I imagine they removed the flathead being your tech ability and skill tree element as afaik they originally intended (Like Riggers in harebrained schemes Shadowrun games). I am fairly certain you still need to get it from Maelstrom to do that one key storyline heist, so its still a plot device.

I guess the katana would be almost weightless for cyberninja, however those slashes are very small and doesn't look like they will be able to cut too many enemies at once. I guess it will change with V's skill level.

Last edited:
The only thing I don't like, similar to what OP mentions, is the 'carry' stance, with the blade and hilt constantly held up and forward while V walks about. It looks even worse when V is dropping through the air.

Still, it might be just V's low skill level as others have mentioned.

Shadow Warrior does it a bit better though the blade could still be a bit lower in default stance.

The only thing I don't like, similar to what OP mentions, is the 'carry' stance, with the blade and hilt constantly held up and forward while V walks about. It looks even worse when V is dropping through the air.

Still, it might be just V's low skill level as others have mentioned.

Shadow Warrior does it a bit better though the blade could still be a bit lower in default stance.
I honestly wish CDPR would just copy this game's melee down to the smallest detail. I've never seen it done better in first person.

I honestly wish CDPR would just copy this game's melee down to the smallest detail. I've never seen it done better in first person.
Shadow Warrior 2 most efficient katana fight is just all about performing charged up attacks all the time, while constantly running away, waiting for the attack to charge up, and getting close to the enemy for a short moment, only to perform the charged up attack. the combat isn't dynamic, nor deep, nor cool looking at all when most of the time you are just running away instead of fighting, sometimes performing single, same looking move. I would hate it if CP2077 would have Shadow Warrior 2 katana fight system, although its width of the slashes and holding katana animations are fine.

Last edited:
In what way can they improve katana gameplay to make it better? I know it is a short clip but from what I see it's lacking.

To begins with, Melee weapons should work like short range range weapons: when someone enters the weapon's maai, the target reticle changes color and the character automatically moves and attack in the same action. And the even better part about that: can easely be made better with cyberware.

But it's not gonna happens, I wish we could really communicate ideas with dev, now is obviously too late.

To begins with, Melee weapons should work like short range range weapons: when someone enters the weapon's maai, the target reticle changes color and the character automatically moves and attack in the same action. And the even better part about that: can easely be made better with cyberware.

But it's not gonna happens, I wish we could really communicate ideas with dev, now is obviously too late.

The thing is, to properly use Katana, a strike should be intricately connected to characters movement. A fast, sharp leap forward accompanied by diagonal slash. Move whole body, not just the hands.

I am pretty sure that the previewers V was inept at the use of whatever weapons they used, so if devs are correct in that the animations change according to how good you are with the weapon, it wouldve been in effect in those vids. (kinda misleading though to show such in a preview vid)

Top Bottom