Why does V sound like a jerk?

+
Male V just sounds like a complete jerk to everybody in the new Night City Wire gameplay, especially with the Corpo and Nomad lifepath. I get that each of these lifepaths might bring a tone/attitude to V, but this just seems way over the top and exaggerated.

Also, male V's VA sounds like he's trying too hard. Not a bad thing, but it can break immersion sometimes.

It's generally keeping with the milieu of the world. The main four rules of playing Cyberpunk 2020:
  • 1) Style Over Substance
  • 2) Attitude is Everything
  • 3) Always take it to the Edge
  • 4) Break the Rules.

Guess that makes sense then if they wanted to stick to the core rules of the genre. I just hope that you'll be able to talk your way out of problems, which was shown in the 2018 gameplay demo (could've been talked out).

Male V just sounds like a complete jerk to everybody in the new Night City Wire gameplay, especially with the Corpo and Nomad lifepath. I get that each of these lifepaths might bring a tone/attitude to V, but this just seems way over the top and exaggerated.

Also, male V's VA sounds like he's trying too hard. Not a bad thing, but it can break immersion sometimes.

I'm aware it's an RPG with choices but aren't corpos supposed to be dicks in general ? You know, "assert your dominance", "I'm better than the trash living in the streets", that kind of stuff. I'm not sure a corpo V attained this statue by being a gentleman. Unless there are exceptions ?

I didn't find male V acting THAT bad at first. But after re-watching the B rolls, there's indeed some strangeness to his intonations in some lines. It's like he's not confident or is trying to dominate with a lack of conviction. Glad female V sounds top notch though since it's what I intend to play. I love me some badass chicks.

1.) I more or less want to sound like a confrontational jerk when I finally get to play the game.

2.) My criticism is that Gavin Drea sounds... more than a bit 'uninspired'. Not that believable. He sounds like he is making an effort but still reading a line. I dont know. Listen to him when Jackie pulls him out of the car in the street kid prologue. "Wha.. wha... what are you doing.." I have to give it to him though that at least he doesn't sound monotonous as do some other AAA SP RPG protagonists... Dreas voice is fine, he just needs to put bit more 'oomph' to his acting.

Dreas unimpressive vocals dont bother me that much cause I will 100% make a female V, and Cherami Leigh sounds much better.

I personally didn't really get that feel from V, and I really took some time to think about what you said and upon reflecting and analyzing the gameplay footage again, I noticed that all the times that V could possibly sound like he's being mean, is only in situations where someone else is already being mean to V first, so technically he's just defending himself. A really good example of V being nice, is that part of the gameplay where Jackie steals the car from V that V was stealing from someone else, and V is actually quite humble and diplomatic considering the situation, mentioning thieves honor and explaining why he should be the one that wins the car. Interesting right? But hey thanks, your post made me think, and it made me appreciate the gameplay footage even more, so thank you! :) (y)

I didn't realize the 5th rule was "Sound like the biggest douche you can"... :censored:
Forgive me, but could you please point out the specific moments in the gameplay video where V sounds "like the biggest douche" lol

I just want to know what everyone is talking about but I can't see it and I feel left out :sad:

Forgive me, but could you please point out the specific moments in the gameplay video where V sounds "like the biggest douche" lol

I just want to know what everyone is talking about but I can't see it and I feel left out :sad:

I'm not Secretz but I'll give you an example. There's this scene where the corpo lands on a basketball court in his shiny flying car, walks to the bouncer of the nightclub. And the convo kind of goes like

V : Keep an eye on the AV for me, will ya ?
Bouncer: I don't get payed to do that.
V: I wasn't asking, and not a scratch on it when I get back.

I just can't stand his voice the more I hear it.
That being said, it seems he isn't always a jerk. I want to play Corpo and not be a jerk, personally. Hoping when the time skip happens that maybe V has changed from who he was those years ago.

I'm not Secretz but I'll give you an example. There's this scene where the corpo lands on a basketball court in his shiny flying car, walks to the bouncer of the nightclub. And the convo kind of goes like

That's exactly the first one that comes to mind, although the Nomad exchange with the mechanic was fairly douchy as well.

Well technically speaking V wasn't really given a warm welcome, and I'm assuming that if the top of that building only has one entrance/exit to the roof where those basket ball players were playing, and that very same entrance/exit leads directly into the club/bar belonging to the specific people that run that team/faction in night city, I believe we must carefully assume that they also own that roof and basket ball court, and that those basket ball players are probably also a part of that team/faction. (Otherwise, how did they get up on that roof without permission, and even then, how would they know that basket ball court even existed from ground level without having been able to have seen it?) Therefor, judging by the threatening posture that the basketball players take towards V when V steps out of the car and how they aggressively slam the basketball into V's personal space, forcing V to catch it may possibly be seen by V as hostility from that team/faction, hence V's sudden self defense (V probably thinks they are going to hurt V) So when V finally approaches the door and tells the person guarding the entrance to watch their car and not let any harm come to it, I think V believes that the same individuals that appear to be a part of the same team/faction as the club/bar and door guard, may possibly get back up and vandalize V's car as revenge for V's self defense to their aggressive hostile behavior towards V, so V is not simply just asking a random stranger to guard their car for them for no reason, so much as V is carefully measuring the team/factions cooperativeness towards V before V decides to work for them, judging their behavior to determine if they can share trust with each other. When the door guard says they don't get paid to guard cars, but mentions nothing else, it brings into question "What DO they get paid to do?" because the specificity of guarding only the door isn't directly mentioned, even though it could have been briefly mentioned in that short interaction, considering the door guard was willing consider it important enough to explain what they do not get paid for.... When V replies to them and tells them to not let the car get a scratch on it, They seem to relax and silently agree, probably because they know who V is, and they know V is going to be working for them, and they do not want to turn away a potential business partner, so technically speaking, I honestly see no place in that entire scene where V was being a jerk.

Just my deep dive analysis and opinion of the whole thing. If I'm making any mistakes, please let me know. :) (y)
Post automatically merged:

That's exactly the first one that comes to mind, although the Nomad exchange with the mechanic was fairly douchy as well.
I thought that scene was very interesting, because I picked up on subtle hints that the mechanic assumed V didn't know very much about car repairs (since V was willing to hire them, they must have assumed V didn't know enough to do it themselves) and was trying to scam V by making them pay for more parts and repairs that weren't actually necessary. When V gets upset and decides to finish the repairs on their own, you can sense the nervousness in the mechanics voice, as if they suddenly realize that V knows they were trying to make more money off of them, and have been caught being less than honest. V's anger seems justified in this situation, and the speed at which V fixes the car (in one second) seems to prove this hunch on V's part is correct. The mechanic seems to try to save face by making up a possible future problem that can result from V's quick repair, but V seems to know this is made up to get V to worry and reconsider and still pay more money and V doesn't fall for it, making the mechanic get slightly more nervous, but also resign to defeat knowing that their plan to make extra money fail, and on top of it, they know V knows, and they know V knows that they know, and they know that V knows that they know V knows.... essentially, the mechanic knows they have been caught trying to make a dishonest extra quick dollar, and they know V doesn't trust them anymore.

A very deep scene in my opinion.

I mean, casually deep, but not like "WHOAAA DEEEEEP LEVEL"

I'm hoping the game goes much more deep than that obviously, but I am extremely impressed so far with everything. :)

Last edited:
I'm not sure the basketball players and the bouncer are in the same "faction" or know each other. I think the players are just regular folks who got annoyed that a rich, pompous corpo had the nerve to land on their court as if he owned it.

Then he goes to the bouncer and demands things which reminds me of this cliche in movies where the rich guy drives his sports car to the front of the hotel, tosses the keys to a random person and asks "hey, be careful with this beauty, okay? "
V is the douche in this situation.

I'm not sure the basketball players and the bouncer are in the same "faction" or know each other. I think the players are just regular folks who got annoyed that a rich, pompous corpo had the nerve to land on their court as if he owned it.

Then he goes to the bouncer and demands things which reminds me of this cliche in movies where the rich guy drives his sports car to the front of the hotel, tosses the keys to a random person and asks "hey, be careful with this beauty, okay? "
V is the douche in this situation.
But if the top of that building only has one entrance/exit, then how did the basket ball players get there? They had to walk through the downstairs and go upstairs and then arrive at the basket ball court roof, but the inside of that building is owned by that team/faction, meaning that a team/faction lets random people walk into their base, or they know those basket ball players and gave them permission to play on their roof, or they work for that same team/faction. Right?

Also look at how V is treated by the others when he opens his car door. Those guys are ready to beat up V... scary!
Also notice what the door guard person says to V before he says anything, "Looks like trouble wants in"... not exactly welcoming, even rude anyone could say.
V even acts polite after hearing this, and in a nice but cool way says "keep an eye on the AV for me will ya?" it almost seems like his voice takes a warm and kind tone, but then he gets more rude after she basically lets him know his car is not protected and whatever happens to it, happens.
So there appears to always be a good reason when V is rude.

Last edited:
Well, we don't know if they own the building. They might just own the club otherwise the bouncer would be as pissed as the players by the improvised landing. Also neither the bouncer nor the 2nd group a little farther, which I assume are night clubs patrons, seemed to care that V kicked those guys asses.

Top Bottom