No Subway in Cyberpunk 2077

+

What is your reaction to this news?

• Happy about the removal of subways and trains

• Indifferent about the removal of subways and trains

• Disapointed about the removal of subways and trains

Results are only viewable after voting.
Yes and now we expect to see a much more dynamic environment in a game. Which makes the programming of a believable train a much harder thing to achieve.

Red dead redemption 2 (2018) with inertia and non-stiff occupants. Also a game with a massive amount of "dynamic environment"

Watchdogs (2014) with inertia and non-stiff occupants. Also a game with a massive amount of "dynamic environment."

Red dead redemption 2 (2018) with inertia and non-stiff occupants. Also a game with a massive amount of "dynamic environment"
Watchdogs (2014) with inertia and non-stiff occupants. Also a game with a massive amount of "dynamic environment."
Hey wait! That's impossible! :think:

No one said it couldn’t be done, the argument is more on if it’s worth putting resources and man power into properly creating that feature instead of other features. And for the record RDR2 was a masterpiece but the only dense area that the train had to pass through was Saint Denis the rest was open land unlike Night City.

A train is not really important place in a game like this. Even in GTA 5 the train is empty and you can go stand in it and it will travel around the city..... but nothing ever happens there and its more of a curiosity.

No one said it couldn’t be done, the argument is more on if it’s worth putting resources and man power into properly creating that feature instead of other features.
Exactly.

This is also why I'm indifferent on the topic: on one hand, sure it would be cool to be able to travel by train, but on the other hand it's probably not really worth it when players would expect it to be realistic and when there already are driveable vehicles (two types, even) to move around in. Not like it would be a key feature, anyway.

Hey wait! That's impossible! :think:

There is a vast yawning gulf between impossible and non-trivial.

No one said it couldn’t be done, the argument is more on if it’s worth putting resources and man power into properly creating that feature instead of other features. And for the record RDR2 was a masterpiece but the only dense area that the train had to pass through was Saint Denis the rest was open land unlike Night City.

It's not so much the density than a simple judgement call by CDPR what to priorize. Not to mention that it may just be the case that RedEngine doesn't play nice with separate physics maps.

Last edited:
maybe we can still have flying trains made out of interconnected flying cars that temporarily pair up with each other when they have a similar general destination to save energy and ease sky traffic? :smart:

A train is not really important place in a game like this. Even in GTA 5 the train is empty and you can go stand in it and it will travel around the city..... but nothing ever happens there and its more of a curiosity.
Exactly.

This is also why I'm indifferent on the topic: on one hand, sure it would be cool to be able to travel by train, but on the other hand, it's probably not really worth it when players would expect it to be realistic and when there already are driveable vehicles (two types, even) to move around in. Not like it would be a key feature, anyway.

The reason I am disappointed myself is that trains were shown in both the trailer and in the promo art but then not included, feels kinda like a bait and switch. Also Viewing trains as just transportation is like viewing clubs just as recreational places when they are mission hubs and potential shoot out locations. Subways are hubs that show off the city, a center of music, people, and culture all meet at the same place. They can also be places where deals go down in the dark and a place to evade the police.

Hell trains in Red Dead are literally their own side quests that turn into bank/train robberies or even holding a train hostage. They are more than just another mode of transportation.

The reason I am disappointed myself is that trains were shown in both the trailer and in the promo art but then not included, feels kinda like a bait and switch. Also Viewing trains as just transportation is like viewing clubs just as recreational places when they are mission hubs and potential shoot out locations. Subways are hubs that show off the city, a center of music, people, and culture all meet at the same place. They can also be places where deals go down in the dark and a place to evade the police.

Hell trains in Red Dead are literally their own side quests that turn into bank/train robberies or even holding a train hostage. They are more than just another mode of transportation.
Couldn't have said it better myself.
:)(y)

I used subway so much in my life, that I won't miss it in a game.

That being said, it always makes me sad when they cut stuff that was shown in trailers. But they do what they have to, so no big deal.

If they cut it, is because it takes a lot of work, time and money to implement it.

Everyone would like to see a game that has everything in the package.

Not having access to the subway is a shame and it will break part of the immersion for me because I see it as something that is essential to the city and it can be used to "camouflage" quick travel (and the loading times needed to load a different part of the city).

Last edited:
I don't think that the public transit was removed as so much as never included.

I doubt this, with all the concept art and subway map teasing it. It's pretty clear that they wanted to include a subway in the game at some point.

They probably planned out the subway stations, statically implemented them, and based the subway map around that. The reason I say that, is that stations are relatively easy to implement, as they are basically just another layer in NC's dense vertical structure.

Then I guess they ran into some technical issues implementing the trains, and decided to cut it because they're probably already having all sorts of technical issues getting this game to run on 7 year old consoles without them catching on fire.

I imagine they shuffled programmer teams around so that the team that was working on these trains had to go do something else to keep things moving fast enough toward launch.

Would love a subway system. But looking at GTA which has a simple one. No one ever uses it. When you have a car, you drive. For most players the subway would probably only be used if a quest dictates it.

At its most basic a public transport system is basically fast travel that you have to experience in real time, which defeats the aim somewhat. I'm sure you could do more with it, but as far as quests go, there aren't many that couldn't be transposed to a different location, so why waste the resources.

Disappointed not about using it as a fast travel (cause I prefer my fast travel to be fast), but because everytimes I should logically be able to go somewhere and cannot I find it immersion breaking.
Post automatically merged:

so why waste the resources.

Because that kind of "wasted ressources" is one of the point of an Open world: if everything in a open world have a purpose, then it's not a open world.
Post automatically merged:

Would love a subway system. But looking at GTA which has a simple one. No one ever uses it. When you have a car, you drive. For most players the subway would probably only be used if a quest dictates it.

If I cannot fast travel there, I would use it instead of the car which I don't plan to use if I can, like I did in games like L.A. Noire.

Last edited:
It's not that important, but it's summing up with all the other small things that I'm not enthusiast about (and a couple of big things I really dislike).
Also, the fact you can see them moving in the game (as confirmed by journalists) and not being able to interact is quite weird.
To be honest, and this will be unpopular, I'm starting to hope they'll delay it to early/mid 2020 and add the stuff they have removed. I mean, playing it on current gen consoles seems to be not a very smart move while theorically next gen will be able to run it properly.

Top Bottom