Why does V sound like a jerk?

+
The large difference between Male V and Female V's performances goes down largely to how much prior voice work the person has done.

I'm frankly a bit surprised CDPR picked someone with no prior voice acting experience to be the main male voice for their new franchise.

The large difference between Male V and Female V's performances goes down largely to how much prior voice work the person has done.

I'm frankly a bit surprised CDPR picked someone with no prior voice acting experience to be the main male voice for their new franchise.

He's had several tv shows and a few Hollywood movies under his belt according to imbd though. It's not voice acting but still acting

He's had several tv shows and a few Hollywood movies under his belt according to imbd though. It's not voice acting but still acting

I don't want it to be a judgement on him or his acting ability or anything like that. I just feel it was a weird choice by CDPR for such a major role. Especially when they seemingly didn't do the same for Female V.

I wouldn't go as far as to say it's an easter egg. They just look really similar. People like to see easter eggs everywhere lol.

The voice actor might be a clue? I dont know Gaunters voice actor, but this policeman sounds british which would suit Witchers VA talent...

I liked male V's voice actor in the first trailer but not so much after that... Something is off and I'm not totally convinced it's the VA. In the Nomad opening where V and Jackie are about to drive off the road when getting ambushed, V says "Drive Jackie, just drive." and it just sounds off putting for some reason.

I think its not completely trivial for actors to be able to "get in the mood" sitting alone in a room in front of a microphone... Reading massive amounts of different voice lines. But he has plenty of time to record the lines until the launch...

I am reminded how Edward Norton voiceacted the Hulk/Bruce Banner in a Hulk license game back in early 2000s... he is an A-lister but his voice acting performance he just dialed it in, unimpressive. Its not totally obvious that good actors can voice act well straight off the bat.

I keep thinking that its indeed inexperience in VA work that we hear.. :shrug:

The voice actor might be a clue? I dont know Gaunters voice actor, but this policeman sounds british which would suit Witchers VA talent...

Need to check whether it's the same.
Post automatically merged:

I think its not completely trivial for actors to be able to "get in the mood" sitting alone in a room in front of a microphone... Reading massive amounts of different voice lines. But he has plenty of time to record the lines until the launch...

I am reminded how Edward Norton voiceacted the Hulk/Bruce Banner in a Hulk license game back in early 2000s... he is an A-lister but his voice acting performance he just dialed it in, unimpressive. Its not totally obvious that good actors can voice act well straight off the bat.

I keep thinking that its indeed inexperience in VA work that we hear.. :shrug:
Yeah I guess that's true. Some are really comfortable though, like Samuel L Jackson in San Andreas but he had had experience voicing animated movie which must be not too much different than games.

I don't want it to be a judgement on him or his acting ability or anything like that. I just feel it was a weird choice by CDPR for such a major role. Especially when they seemingly didn't do the same for Female V.

Yeah his work in the first trailers were better though imo. He added a more "fun" vibe to it. I remember there was people complaining about his voice acting at the time in Twitter. Maybe CDPR listened and took another direction.

Last edited:
An easter egg? Someone said its Gaunter O'Dimm who arrests V and Jackie in the street kid intro? I haven't actually played W3 enough to know whether this is true.

Its not Gaunter 0'Dimm but someone who is inspired by the character. So, it seems like he might play a major role in the game just like Gaunter 0'Dimm. Also, his name is Stints.

Ah, can't say I'm surprised they hired someone inexperienced in voice acting (don't know anything about CDPR...)
But I hope that maybe as we hear more of him it'll be better, maybe it's just really awkward scenes? Like I said, he sounds really different in certain scenes so I feel there is probably more to it.

Yeah, the first one is the one I linked in my post. The second one is the one I mentioned is kinda hard to hear. In both she has the same intonation, obviously I'm not sure, but I think its just the way she is gonna sound now, since What's Good Games reported her voice is "much better" than how it used to be in 2018. I think they just changed both Vs styles of speaking to huskier, batmaner.
I mean, it's not bad at all, I kind of like the improvements, but I feel like it's missing that special sound and feel it had originally in the original 40 minute gameplay.

I wouldn't go as far as to say it's an easter egg. They just look really similar. People like to see easter eggs everywhere lol.
--------------------------------------------------------^----------------------------------------------------------------------^------------------------------------------------------------

easter eggs spotted

She has been in so much. I did not even know. It's amazing. Look at that LIST!?
I recognize so many!

Last edited:
CDPR said way back when that unlike Geralt who has a pre defined personality, our V would be more of a blank state. Until now I haven't seen any of it. I hope that V is not restricted by the background.

It's not like they didn't audition. Who knows how many men and women tried for V's role. They went with the ones they liked the best :)

Male V: C-Can you p-please look after the A-AV?

Bouncer: That's not my job

Male V: *winces* O-Okay, th-thanks

You have to be a badass jerk if you want to survive in Night City :ok:

Male V @ everyone in this thread:

Last edited:
It's not like they didn't audition. Who knows how many men and women tried for V's role. They went with the ones they liked the best :)

I never suggested he didn't audition. I just notice far more posts complaining about male V than female V. Curious as to their work history i looked up their history on voice acting and noticed a sizeable difference in experience. And this difference in experience may be why we are seeing people not like one as much as the other.

Ok so I've read the new Game informer scanned and kindly provided by a reddit user.

The journalists, who also played several hours of the game, describe in a paragraph what choosing a life path entails. They say that "Having the lifepath option certainly help you fit a mold. For instance if you play the corporate path, expect V to act untouchable and to show their privilege. If you play the street kid, life has hardened you a bit. You're street smart t and can hold your own in any situation. "

I wonder if corpo V stays arrogant after the prologue.

Last edited:
Its not Gaunter 0'Dimm but someone who is inspired by the character. So, it seems like he might play a major role in the game just like Gaunter 0'Dimm. Also, his name is Stints.
CDPR (i think it was Pawel) already confirmed that Stints' model is based on GoD.

V's rigid personality is a shame, blank slate seems to be contradictory. V is akin to Shepard as opposed to the Courier from Vegas.

Male V sounds awful so I'll stick with Female V.

Ok so I've read the new Game informer scanned and kindly provided by a reddit user.

The journalists, who also played several hours of the game, describe in a paragraph what choosing a life path entails. They say that "Having the lifepath option certainly help you fit a mold. For instance if you play the corporate path, expect V to act untouchable and to show their privilege. If you play the street kid, life has hardened you a bit. You're street smart t and can hold your own in any situation. "

I wonder if corpo V stays arrogant after the prologue.
Whoa, I almost want to try, just for fun to see if I could make dio from the JoJo Bizarre Adventure anime, and make him a corpo, and make him act really "untouchable" "ZA WARUDO!" "MUDA MUDA MUDA MUDA"! That would be pretty funny. Maybe I will try to see if the game lets me play with Japanese audio and English Subtitles too. Hmmmm. This would make for an interesting playthrough. But I think I would still be a good guy. I can't handle being a villain. The feels would hit too hard.

Top Bottom