Cyberpunk 2077's Gameplay?

+
I know CDPR worked hard on detailing the world and making a great story and side stories.
But the gameplay doesn't stand out in any way.
I was a hardcore CDPR fan from witcher 2 days, and was also super hyped for CP77, but after hearing and seeing the recent updates, I feel disappointed more than anything.

I'll base my observations on the statements made by CDPR.

- Let's start with unarmed combat,

This comparison video of the unarmed combat system shows my concern pretty blatantly

The unarmed combat system of Cyberpunk feels so dull after seeing something like Mirror's Edge, it'd would make anyone want much more from the game.
Even the flaws are so clearly explained in the description of the same video. Seeing the exact same fist fighting mini game from witcher 3 definitely gets boring, like seriously, why does no one make kick animations in FPP games more often? This Cyberpunk fight club arenas seem the best place for seeing cool unarmed combat moves. CDPR even clearly said underground "martial arts" tournaments.

Atleast, Finishers should be at this level (the video below).

Since the same mechanic is being carried from the witcher 3 to cyberpunk, it already feels boring without even playing the actual game. Ubisoft has been suffering from this exact same thing since AC2. Even the way the enemies attack and get knocked out feels literally the same way as witcher 3 did.

These fight tournaments are the perfect place to try out interesting bosses with unique moves, first time I played these I thought it'd feel like every opponent was a boss from darksouls or sekiro, but it turned out to be "the same enemy but with a different appearance".

- Driving,

When I heard CDPR was making "the most immersive game" in FPP with cars, I though its about time i see animations like this

Just imagine if we were able to see down while driving and see these downshift animations, It would literally be the coolest thing to see in any game with driving. This on its own would have increased immersion so much. Small yet amazing details like this would give us a huge incentive to keep playing in FPP.

I guess they diverted resources in making good car exterior animations and gave us the option to switch to TPP. But this is primarily a FPP game and having animations like this, has way greater effect on immersion than driving in TPP could have.

But no, instead I see the same FPP driving gameplay that even PUBG got right, Atleast GTA5 gave us the freedom to flip off people.

The best drift mechanic is in Saints Row: The Third, its very simple and extremely fun but gives scope to improve at the same time. Every other game fails miserably at having a drift mechanic, either they try something too complex or nothing at all. So I'm leaving drift out of this subject.

- Headshots don't matter

Headshots are the highest level of satisfaction a FPS game could give you (earlier you would say CP77 is a RPG not a FPS, but seems CDPR themselves dont call CP77 a RPG anymore)

Having bullet sponges for enemies and giving maybe a 20%ish bonus damage to shots to the head, feels boring, I already know that I would just stop trying to improve my aim as i know the reward for the effort is so low. (the guy who played the 2018 E3 footage was a ex-professional CSGO player, and if even he didn't go for headshots during the maelstorm bossfight. why would i?)

An apt example that I experienced recently was while playing State of Decay 2, the feral zombies have 20x the hp of a normal zombie and they are extremely agile and fast (they even dodge alot), because of this, they pose a significant threat to the player. Still, they WILL die in a single headshot. And headshoting a fast moving deadly zombie gives the player so much satisfaction. Headshots apply to humans too in State of Decay. Anyone would feel cool and badass when we defeat a feral zombie before it even gets close or kill a hostile gang of survivors before they even start shooting. Isn't feeling cool and badass a significant factor to why we play games?

I know they can't let us 1 shot bosses, that's understandable. But I didn't see any enemy getting headshot and dying in any of the gameplay footage except for scripted sequence as in the braindance footage from night wire episode 1.

- Removal of Vehicle customization

GTA, Saints row and pretty much any of these type of games have vehicle customization, I have no idea for what this got removed, or didn't even exist. The possible reasons i could think of are (a.) they didnt have time to creatively make many designs or (b.) they want special vehicles to feel more unique. Like finding a good weapon in dark souls. I hope the Aerondight vehicle does feel special in CP77.

- Removal of trains

This one was a complete surprise, considering their posters and trailers showed trains being ride-able.
Even watch dogs had this, come-on !!

- Censoring and Watering down adult themes

cp77 censorship.png

Comparing the rescue mission, of the corpo girl from the maelstorm hideout, scene. It seems like CDPR has watered down the scene by making the women have a less "dreadful look" (as shown in 2018 version), with her eyeshadow melting/washing away indicating pain and tears. The 2020 version looks like she almost has a "pleasant" and "plain" look to her textures.

And indirectly censoring the scene by making the place way darker to make the nudity harder to see. This is truly concerning, I really hope this not reflect on other similar scenes in the game. Showing the world the way it is without this kind of emotional suppression is what CDPR is known for and is the reason why I became a fan after playing the Wticher 2.

Valid and reasonable conclusions arrived later on this thread were that, (a.) all textures of the game were redone and improved, and CDPR hasn't yet revisited her particular textures to give her the "dread look". or (b.) the watering down was to comply with the censorship laws of certain countries, thus the waterdowned/censored version would only exist for those countries. Or there could an option in the game's settings regarding these type of features.

But if the actuality isn't one of the reasons mentioned above, then that is indeed troublesome.

(I'm only talking about the "appearance" and depiction being watered down and censored. In no way am i insisting that the "narrative" of the scene was watered down.)

- Boring boss fights

Shooting continuously at a target while dodging, isnt what I'd imagine a interesting bossfight to look like. The entire "shoot the weak point" thing feels out dated AF, atleast we could have been made to go near the boss and perform some cool animation like punching, ripping wire, disconnecting parts etc, rather than just left click and boom, its done. CDPR's bosses were never great, Eredin was way too easy and Dettlaff was bullshit, both are the wrong ways of making a bossfight. I didn't expect much but after playing Sekiro, I'd want to see something more.

- Removal of Wall-running

CDPR said on multiple occasions that we could play as a "cyber ninja" with katanas, mantis blades and scaling walls, guess this has been removed too......
is the Mantis blade's wallclimbing the same as wallrunning? i don't know.

- Weak katana animations

The katana animations looked unoriginal and felt similar to Skyrim's sword animation or pretty much the same as any typical FPS game meele weapon animation. Generic FPS sword animations are not immersive in any way. Considering CDPR emphasize immersion more than anything as the core aspect of Cyberpunk 2077, these animations directly contradict that. Player character immersion is greater than world immersion.

To give a more specific example (so as to not sound vague), it would have been absolutely amazing and cool if we had, the katana drawn out but in a relaxed arm position, where we would have to tilt the camera down to see our character holding the katana, in full field of view setting, that view would look cool and immersive AF. And when blocking, rather than holding the katana in a guard position (which makes no sense anyway, cause enemies could shoot anywhere at the rest of our body, and even if bullets do hit the blade, logically it would only make the blade lose its strength and sharpness.), the player character could block with is off-hand, implying the other side of the off-hand is metal. And if the player is made to swing the katana single handed, the scabbard could be held by our off-hand, So when blocking, the scabbard comes into view (When i imagine futuristic katana, first thing that comes to mind are scabbards with stickers all over them, neon lit comes later.). So now we could get the option to customize the scabbard, and it makes every katana unique just like that, as we'd get to see unique scabbards.

From a mechanic standpoint (still just an example), katana could have been primarily a single handed weapon with the scabbard held by the off-hand. In combination with a option to switch into a two handed grip, for more damage and cut impact. The single handed mode would give us freedom to move faster and block bullets more effective with offlanded scabbard. And the two handed grip mode would give more damage but less mobility and less bullet block effeciency, but blocking meele attacks with double handed grip could be highly effective. All these are solely player based mechanics, so enemy AI behavior need not even be touched. But just by having this, the katana gameplay would look extremely immersive and worth mastering and playing with, the entire game. A worthy combat alternative as it should be.

(I'm not trying to sound like a dick by expecting the game to have my exact view of katana gameplay, i came up with is entire example literally on the spot just for the purpose of giving an example.)

Summarizing,

It seems Cyberpunk is turning out to be a "play relaxed on your couch"-type game rather than a "be at the edge of your seat"-type game, the concern is, however good the story is, it gets boring after you see it once. Breaking Bad is known as one of the greatest TV shows,I fully agree. But watching it again is one of the most boring things I've done. GTA 5 was the most fun game I've played, but I've never played it twice.

Concentrating soley on story isnt the best thing for a game. Dark souls, State of decay 2, Monster Hunter World, Sekiro, Saints Row etc, they might not have the best straight forward story, but their gameplay makes me keep playing them again and again.

The improvment between witcher 1 to witcher 2, and witcher 2 to witcher 3, was so huge. I hope that kind of improvement leap happens with Cyberpunk too, I dont see it yet.

They consistently showed great developmental leaps in every big title they launched. Thus, when they stated that their developmental objectives for Cyberpunk 2077 was for it to be "better than witcher 3 in every way possible" and that it would be "the most immersive game". i didn't think they were lying or were aiming beyond their capabilities.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

One heartwarming thing to consider is, after seeing the 2018 E3 and deepdive, i had more than double the amount of concerns. But after the Night City Wire showcase and The Gig trailer, i was extremely happy, because more than half of the things i felt as drawbacks, were improved and made good.
So in the same way, I do feel confident that a lot more of the concerns i feel now will be totally removed by the/at the time of the game's launch.

Also, i've kept the main post as short as possible, so as to not make it overwhelmingly long. So be sure to check the comments and discussions below for more details and explanations.

Last edited:
I do hope that CDprojekt adds vehicle customization and trains back into 2077 as a form of free DLC. It's probably because they had to meet some sort of quota. Seeing how the game was pushed back from April to September, to now November, it would not surprise me if those customization and train elements introduced bugs into the game.

Hopefully CDprojekt is just temporarily removing them to fix other important issues, then add car customization and trains back into the game once those issues have been solved.

OK I thought this was just another complaint, but it's worth reading through actually.
I didn't pay enough attention to the gunfight gameplay, because the way it looks since the beginning left me uninterested.
What I noticed in the other hand is the presence of Mantis Blades with variants/upgrades... Is that mean that these blades will follow us all the way through the game just like A. Jensen's armblades in DEX:HR ??? No I don't believe this is true, if it is then it raises a new set of questions.

Good read and interesting points.

I never thought about the headshots thing too much before. But I think you have to consider that they really only show beginning parts of the game. I think in most of the official CDPR released gameplay, V is using a pistol. You gotta figure there are better guns and weapons, and maybe some of them can decapitate and dismember your enemies as desired. And then there's player class, skill level, and so on to keep you from one-shotting your way through the game. I'm sure it'll be possible, but it won't sell a game to a wide audience.

On that note, you've got to figure why people are picking going to want Cyberpunk 2077; it's about diverting time and resources on what's going to set it apart from other games, and less to what won't. What's going to sell the game to more people, Mantis blades or fist fights? I know we all have different tastes, but the answer is probably mantis blades. As for vehicle customization? Well, you don't want people thinking this is just "Futuristic GTA", so that can go down on the list of priorities.

The way I see it? There's more casual gaming fans who are on the fence then there are people like me, who'll buy the game regardless out of love for the cyberpunk genre. At the end of the day, the game can be amazing but it still won't sell itself.

Comparing the rescue mission, of the corpo girl in the maelstorm hideout, scene. It seems like CDPR has watered down the scene by making the women look less damaged (tortured/abused) and censored the scene by making the place way darker to make the nudity harder to see. This is truly concerning, I really hope this not reflect on other similar scenes in the game. Showing the world the way it is without this kind of emotional suppression is what CDPR is know for and is the reason why I became a fan after playing the Wticher 2.

I agree with a lot of your points. Cutting the subway out of the game is especially worrying.

However, I don't think CDPR is intentionally trying to censor adult themes. I think CDPR implemented full ray tracing for the demo. The E3 2018 used a different lighting system. I think this is why the recent demo looks darker, it just has more realistic lighting which can make details less noticable in dimly lit rooms.

I know CDPR worked hard on detailing the world and making a great story and side stories.
But the gameplay doesn't stand out in any way.
I was a hardcore CDPR fan from wticher 2 days, and was also super hyped for CP77, but after hearing and seeing the recent updates, I feel disappointed more than anything.

I'll base my observations on the statements made by CDPR.

This comparison video of the unarmed combat system shows my concern pretty blatantly

The unarmed combat system of Cyberpunk feels so dull after seeing something like Mirror's Edge, it'd would make anyone want much more from the game.
Even the flaws are so clearly explained the description of the same video. Seeing the exact same fist fighting mini game from witcher 2 definitely gets boring, like seriously, why does no one make kick animations in FPP games more often? This Cyberpunk fight club arenas seem the best place for seeing cool unarmed combat moves. CDPR even clearly said underground "martial arts" tournaments.

Since the same mechanic is being carried from the witcher 2 to cyberpunk, it already feels boring without even playing the actual game. Ubisoft has been suffering from this exact same thing since AC2. Even the way the enemies attack and get knocked out feels literally the same way as witcher 3 did.

These fight tournaments are the perfect place to try out interesting bosses with unique moves, first time I played these I thought it'd feel like every opponent was a boss from darksouls or sekiro, but it turned out to be "the same enemy but with a different appearance".

- Driving,

When I heard CDPR was making the most immersive game in FPP with cars, I though its about time i see animations like this

Just imagine if we were able to see down while driving and see these downshit animations, It would literally be the coolest thing to see in any game with driving. This on its own would have increased immersion so much and also would have given a huge incentive to playing in FPP.

But no, instead I see the same FPP driving gameplay that even PUBG got right, Atleast GTA5 game us the freedom to flip off people.

The best drift mechanic is in Saints Row: The Third, its very simple and extremely fun but gives scope to improve at the same time. Every other game fails miserably at having a drift mechanic, either they try something too complex or nothing at all. So I'm leaving drift out of this subject.

- Headshots don't matter

Headshots are the highest level of satisfaction a FPS game could give you (earlier you would say CP77 is a RPG not a FPS, but seems CDPR themselves dont call CP77 a RPG anymore)

Having bullet sponges for enemies and giving maybe a 20%ish bonus damage to shots to the head, feels boring, I already know that I would just stop trying to improve my aim as i know the reward for the effort is so low.

An apt example that I experienced recently was while playing State of Decay 2, the feral zombies have 20x the hp of a normal zombie and they are extremely agile and fast, because of this, they pose a significant threat to the player, still they WILL die in a single headshot. And headshoting a fast moving deadly zombie gives the player so much satisfaction. Headshots apple to humans too in State of Decay. Anyone would feel cool and badass when we defeat a feral zombie before it even gets close or kill a hostile gang of survivors before they even start shooting. Isn't feeling cool and badass a significant factor to why we play games?

I know they can't let us 1 shot bosses, that's understandable. But I didn't see any enemy getting headshot and dying in any of the gameplay footage except for scripted sequence as in the braindance footage from night wire episode 1.

GTA, Saints row and pretty much any of these type of games have vehicle customization, I have no idea for what this got removed, the possible reasons i could think of are (a.) they didnt have time to creatively make many designs or (b.) they want special vehicles to feel more unique. Like finding a good weapon in dark souls. I hope Aerondight is good in CP77

- Removal of trains

This one was totally a surprise considering their posters and trailers showed trains being ride-able.
Even watch dogs had this, come-on !!

Comparing the rescue mission, of the corpo girl in the maelstorm hideout, scene. It seems like CDPR has watered down the scene by making the women look less damaged (tortured/abused) and censored the scene by making the place way darker to make the nudity harder to see. This is truly concerning, I really hope this not reflect on other similar scenes in the game. Showing the world the way it is without this kind of emotional suppression is what CDPR is know for and is the reason why I became a fan after playing the Wticher 2.

- Boring boss fights

Shooting continuously at a target while dodging, isnt what I'd imagine a interesting bossfight to look like. The entire "shoot the weak point" thing feels out dated AF, atleast we could have been made to go near the boss and perform some cool animation like punching, ripping wire, disconnecting parts etc, rather than just left click and boom, its done. CDPR's bosses were never great, Eredin was way too easy and Dettlaff was bullshit, both are the wrong ways of making a bossfight. I didn't expect much but after playing Sekiro, I'd want to see something more.

Summarizing,

It seems Cyberpunk is turning out to be a "movie-type" game rather than a "game-type" game, the concern is, however good the story is, it gets boring after you see it once. Breaking Bad is known as one of the greatest TV shows,I fully agree. But watching it again is one of the most boring things I've done. GTA 5 was the most fun game I've played, but I've never played it twice.

Concentrating soley on story isnt the best thing for a game. Dark souls, State of decay 2, Monster Hunter World, Sekiro, Saints Row etc, they might not have the best straight forward story, but their gameplay makes me keep playing them again and again.

The improvment between wticher 1 to wticher 2, and the wticher 2 to wticher 3, was so huge. I hope that improvement leap happens with Cyberpunk too, I dont see it yet.
I actually have to agree with pretty much/almost everything you said.

What I noticed in the other hand is the presence of Mantis Blades with variants/upgrades... Is that mean that these blades will follow us all the way through the game just like A. Jensen's armblades in DEX:HR ??? No I don't believe this is true, if it is then it raises a new set of questions.
The blades are not a permanent addition, like in Jensen's case.
In the new trailer, The Gig, at around 1:33-1:34 there is a grenade launcher in the arm, right in the place where the blades are usually installed.

Keive

Forum regular
I can agree with some points here, really hoping the game isn't becoming more of a FPS though.
It sucks that I had to see no vehicle customization and the trains being nonexistent in the same day. I'm hoping they are free DLC later on, that be awesome, I understand too if it just couldn't make it for now.

I don't really have a problem with all the gameplay yet, just because I want to see more. I also don't want to seem negative but, I've only been disappointed so far than hyped really anymore. I think the things that do bother some of us can be added, just curious on if and when.

The blades are not a permanent addition, like in Jensen's case.
In the new trailer, The Gig, at around 1:33-1:34 there is a grenade launcher in the arm, right in the place where the blades are usually installed.

Good eyes, pal.
The Mantis Blades, and they are cool, appear more like a trope to me lol.
This being said by the same guy who wants the Robocop gun holster inside his leg (lol x2). Yeah, right.

The Mantis Blades, and they are cool, appear more like a trope to me lol.
I assume this is what people got in their heads, since CDPR kept showing only these augments in trailers and gameplays.
I also have this thought that the mantis blades are the only blade augments you can have installed.

I assume this is what people got in their heads, since CDPR kept showing only these augments in trailers and gameplays.
I also have this thought that the mantis blades are the only blade augments you can have installed.
Mantis blades seem to be good for wall crawling, but Katana seems to have better reach. I don't know. I might go with katana, but only if I can get the special upgraded katana that can block bullets. I may still get mantis blades, just for climbing, unless there are other mods that allow climbing without mantis blade usage, so I can have better upgrades take up that spot, be able to wall climb, and then just use the katana when needed. hmmm

The animations are stiff and jittery, clear sign of a work in progress.

- Driving,

So, driving no longer needs the same techniques after hundred years of automotive development? From what I can tell, CDPR are going for driving as a means to an end.

- Headshots don't matter

Five days ago, senior level designer Miles Tost;

Like I asked in the dedicated thread, define customization?

- Removal of trains

Trains are not being removed, you just cannot board them. What that means ingame, we don't know.

So, an updated lighting engine is censorship?

- Boring boss fights

We have seen two early game boss fights, which are optional, btw. If you don't want to fight the boss, you can circumnavigate the fight and that is a perfectly legitimate way to resolve the mission.

And it is in that where the focus of the game lies and probably it's replay value. If that's not your cuppa-tea, what can you do?

The animations are stiff and jittery, clear sign of a work in progress.

One thing that is REALLY starting to get under my skin, is how people are forgetting the system CP2077 will have, which changes your animations depending on how proficient you are at something.

The demos and previews are from the beginning of the game, of a beginner character. So if there is a point where the animations are at their most lackluster, it is in these demos. There were previewers who reported change and improvement in how "clunky" melee combat felt already during the 4 hours of the preview.

Not only is this a work in progress, there is also an inbuilt system which makes V look intentionally "clunky" because they are a beginner at the game so far!

One thing that is REALLY starting to get under my skin, is how people are forgetting the system CP2077 will have, which changes your animations depending on how proficient you are at something.

I literally mean how unnaturally jittery and crude the animations look. How a fist goes inside the other guys head and it's a full half second before they throw their head back.

Like how one of the twins goes from standing straight to being in a fighting position in a frame.

How when a twin throws a punch, the punch animation stalls for a frame or two mid-punch.

Mantis blades seem to be good for wall crawling, but Katana seems to have better reach. I don't know. I might go with katana, but only if I can get the special upgraded katana that can block bullets. I may still get mantis blades, just for climbing, unless there are other mods that allow climbing without mantis blade usage, so I can have better upgrades take up that spot, be able to wall climb, and then just use the katana when needed. hmmm

The "Katana gameplay" doesn't look as cool as one would think......
Watch the first 20 seconds of this video

I got heart-broken after seeing this skyrim-like sword animations and gameplay. Especially after completing Sekiro recently.
Katana gameplay is another thing which CDPR hyped-up, but yet again it doesn't stand out in any way.
I think Shadow Warrior did a way better job at FPP katana gameplay.
But when CDPR makes a game, I naturally wanted to see something cooler.

The animations look way out-dated and the way V holds the katana screams "traditional FPS" game.
I ended up in more disappointment.
(i saw the katana gameplay after uploading this thread, thats why it wasn't covered.)

Should they delay it again to give us acceptable melee animations, I wouldn't be sad at all.
Not only fist fight and katana have problems, but also the so much advertised mantis blades. And when V uses them to decapitate a maelstrom and her head falls on the ground a continues rotating with a totally impossible physics? No thanks, it's been almost a decade from Skyrim.

Should they delay it again to give us acceptable melee animations, I wouldn't be sad at all.

My thoughts exactly. The game was supposed to be released in April and CDPR also confirmed that the main story line was fully playable on early 2018, so were they only developing textures and side missions from then until now?

This makes me quite sad.
Just see how this feels, I thought CP77 would give this kind of feel.

Last edited:
Since this second delay is for only a little time, two months, I assume every big problem regarding mechanics, animations, graphics should be solved by launch. And the small stuff that needs fixing can be done in patches afterwards.

If the game gets delayed on more time I don't know what to think anymore about CDPR professionalism, at least at management levels.
I don't live long like people in cyberpunk universe, and I don't feel like waiting so many years for a game to launch.
In this day I consider 4 years already too long of a time. Minimum 2 years, maximum 4.

And I hope the game will not end up: good story and visuals, and generic in everything else.

Top Bottom