Nobody Seems To Be Raving About FPP

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've read a few 1st impression articles from people who played the game. Is anybody saying the game is great in FPP? That they wish they could see their character? A lot of controversy with that decision, just curios why its not being pointed out.

It’s not being pointed out since it’s usually irrelevant, or at least, it could’ve been.

In the dozens of years I’ve gamed and in the hundreds of reviews I’ve read, I’ve never heard anyone say, “this first person game would’ve been better in third person”, or vise versa.

People tend to accept the perspective that a game takes, then complain about a wonky camera in third person titles, or claustrophobia in first person ones. Once perspective is set, you mostly accept it as just a thing, almost like a management game not being a shooter, or that modern movies shooting in black and white is a particular choice that would’ve precluded colour as a cinematic choice.

I can almost guarantee that the only reason why CP77’s perspective is a controversy, is because CDPR opened a can of worms by admitting that either/or was ever an option.

Had they been mum on the thing and never revealed they ditched third person, this would not have been a controversy, or such an often debated topic. I’m sure there would still have been people who would’ve been disappointed for the very legitimate reasons often discussed (motion sickness being the one I have most solidarity with), but their consensus would’ve been, “well shoot, pity that CP77 isn’t Third Person. That makes it less my game (but I’ll try).”

However, CDPR admittance has turned it into, “this game could’ve been third person! Why isn’t it third person? It would’ve been a better game in third person!”

That’s why reviewers don’t point it out, but it’s a hill to die on in this forum. Most people just accept it, and then there’s a passionate group who feel legitimately deprived of what could’ve been.

The difference a camera angle makes is vast however. Most TPP games have completely different use of architecture and spacing than a FPP games and it kinda informs your entire design philosophy for a title. The two really aren't as interchangeable, which is why - again - the two are usually regarded as completely different genres and nobody talks about it, since it's irrelevant. Usually. CP77 being First Person is what it is and none of the impressions think to even mention it. It being a controversy is a peculiarity that's endemic entirely to these forums, because CDPR caused it to be that.

Last edited:
The point is, some games naturally force you into first person - they simply won't offer third person or even a look at your character at all. And then there might be games that primarily have first person but allow perhaps third person in some situations, when operating a camera (CoD MW has a portion of this) or for vehicles.

Nobody seemingly complains there, but here, exaggeration incoming, 'everyone' is going nuts. I mean sure, if it was possible I'd rather have and use third person on occasion too. It's + convenience - but not the end of the world without it.

As for cars, I dunno. We'll see.

------------

To reiterate or recap, all I am saying is: I do not mind this approach even if I might favor additional third person for your character. "Immersive approach" is their reasoning. In addition the city design begs the question if a third person experience would always be good or not if you face certain cramped corridors. Just an additional mild argument someone brought up.

I do not mind FPP. My gripe is that while the game was always FPP, there was certain moments where during a cutscene it would switch to TPP to create the atmosphere. The 2018 demo comes to mind where 99% of the demo was in FPP but when V woke up in her apartment and brushed her teeth, it was in TPP and then it transitioned back to FPP. However based on journalist accounts during their 4 hour demo, that entire scene is gone and when V wakes up it is all in FPP.

When the game was announced as a FPP experience what gave me solace was that on occasion, there would be TPP cutscenes like the 2018 apartment scene where for a few seconds the cutscene is in TPP to allow us to see our V. Now that is gone and character creation is like Far Cry 5 where you can never see your character. I mean really? We can customize teeth but whats the point when you will never see your V talk?

I dont mind FPP combat, gameplay, exploration, driving and dialog. But I also wouldnt mind that every now and then, even for a brief few seconds there is a brief TPP cutscene like in Vs apartment to allow us to see our V.

I do not mind FPP. My gripe is that while the game was always FPP, there was certain moments where during a cutscene it would switch to TPP to create the atmosphere. The 2018 demo comes to mind where 99% of the demo was in FPP but when V woke up in her apartment and brushed her teeth, it was in TPP and then it transitioned back to FPP. However based on journalist accounts during their 4 hour demo, that entire scene is gone and when V wakes up it is all in FPP.

When the game was announced as a FPP experience what gave me solace was that on occasion, there would be TPP cutscenes like the 2018 apartment scene where for a few seconds the cutscene is in TPP to allow us to see our V. Now that is gone and character creation is like Far Cry 5 where you can never see your character. I mean really? We can customize teeth but whats the point when you will never see your V talk?

I dont mind FPP combat, gameplay, exploration, driving and dialog. But I also wouldnt mind that every now and then, even for a brief few seconds there is a brief TPP cutscene like in Vs apartment to allow us to see our V.

LOL teeth customization though. But yeah, pretty much this. I mean, I'm in the acceptance phase already, but a third person cutscene now and then wouldn't hurt the experience at all. The customization is super hardcore and there's so much detail, feels kinda sad that all those features that went through effort to be made will not be seen that much.

We can customize teeth but whats the point when you will never see your V talk?

I dunno. Besides any opportunity you get to see yourself (inventory, mirror, reflection, whatever), it could be a later added photomode, feature, cheat or mod that adds third person. Just because the devs opt for something different due to whatever perhaps narrative or story-telling purpose doesn't mean it cannot later be added technically if the foundation is in the game, like an animation set for third person that you simply dont get to see by default.

Mods (or DLCs) are a key word here. And if all else fails, the next Cyberpunk game might have third person. I fully understand disappointment about a lack of unconditional or always available third person. But even without it, I think this will be a great game and experience - perhaps even more so as I'm not doing everything in third person or a lot.

But that's just me.

Honestly the only reason they expanded the character customization compared to 2018 (or at the very least seem to have) that I could see is that perhaps later down the road they want to release a TPP update/free DLC. Or do something with the more subtle/unseen customization options like the facial options.

Like, I'd get it if they came to the conclusion that FPP was the for the best moving forward because it works way better with their design vision and then scrap some of the TPP stuff they've been working on and start working on making more cutscenes first person for example. But then why offer teeth customization and all the other extra facial stuff because from the sound of it customization wasn't dialed back down from the 2018 demo, they actually added more stuff in especially the face. Stuff that won't be viewed outside the inventory screen and perhaps mirrors. Why do that if you never intend to use it in any meaningful way? It sounds so odd to me :shrug:

That's why I wonder if they intend to showcase it more in some way in the future outside of the aforementioned inventory screen and mirrors.

But as a final statement as plausible or unplausible this might sound to you my advice is don't get your hopes up. Just accept that'll be first person.

I'm actually scared out of my mind that if people keep saying that character customization doesn't matter because we can never see our own character (which is a massive assumption on their part, but I wont name names) and it's such a common comment that I hear all day long every day on the forums, constantly it is said over and over, so often that I fear that CDPR is going to say "oh well I guess we will just remove character customization." Don't get me wrong, people have a right to say whatever they want as long as they're not breaking a law like threatening someone, so that's not what I'm saying, and I respect everyones opinions. I'm just scared of what will happen, like for example like I said, CDPR deciding to just delete character customization, because enough people say they don't care because it doesn't matter to them or something. If character customization gets removed, I'm probably not going to buy the game at that point. That would probably be the thing that makes me walk away. I don't want this to happen, and I am not saying that I hope it happens. It would be a nightmare situation for me. I want to buy the game, I'm beyond-hype about the game, and CDPR can do anything they want with their game. But if anyone is reading this, I just hope they understand that some people, I guess people like me that care deeply about character customization exist. We Exist. We care. It already feels terrible that car customization, supposedly, seems to be out, and I fear that character customization may come next. Maybe weapon customization goes out, and then character customization goes out. I don't know. I do not claim to know this will happen, I'm just saying I am scared out of my mind that it will happen. If I can't deeply personalize my character, my immersion totally goes out the window with that. If I can't have some level of immersion that makes me enjoy the experience and have fun, then the whole thing is meaningless to me. I struggle to put my feelings into words here and I'm 100% sure I will be misunderstood, but I need to say what I need to say. I wish nothing but the best and I hope all the best things happen in the best ways. I want the game to release and be excellent and I want myself to enjoy it so much I have zero complaints about it. I really do hope for the best. I do not wish to censor anyone in any way, and if anyone thinks that, I am stating right now, that is 100% wrong. I do not wish that. I do not think that. I do not feel that. I just want CDPR to know that I care, alot. I care very very much. Please I beg CDPR, do not overlook the people who care about character customization, or any other kinds of customization. I'm hanging on as hard as I can.

I'm actually scared out of my mind that if people keep saying that character customization doesn't matter because we can never see our own character (which is a massive assumption on their part, but I wont name names) and it's such a common comment that I hear all day long every day on the forums, constantly it is said over and over, so often that I fear that CDPR is going to say "oh well I guess we will just remove character customization." Don't get me wrong, people have a right to say whatever they want as long as they're not breaking a law like threatening someone, so that's not what I'm saying, and I respect everyones opinions. I'm just scared of what will happen, like for example like I said, CDPR deciding to just delete character customization, because enough people say they don't care because it doesn't matter to them or something. If character customization gets removed, I'm probably not going to buy the game at that point. That would probably be the thing that makes me walk away. I don't want this to happen, and I am not saying that I hope it happens. It would be a nightmare situation for me. I want to buy the game, I'm beyond-hype about the game, and CDPR can do anything they want with their game. But if anyone is reading this, I just hope they understand that some people, I guess people like me that care deeply about character customization exist. We Exist. We care. It already feels terrible that car customization, supposedly, seems to be out, and I fear that character customization may come next. Maybe weapon customization goes out, and then character customization goes out. I don't know. I do not claim to know this will happen, I'm just saying I am scared out of my mind that it will happen. If I can't deeply personalize my character, my immersion totally goes out the window with that. If I can't have some level of immersion that makes me enjoy the experience and have fun, then the whole thing is meaningless to me. I struggle to put my feelings into words here and I'm 100% sure I will be misunderstood, but I need to say what I need to say. I wish nothing but the best and I hope all the best things happen in the best ways. I want the game to release and be excellent and I want myself to enjoy it so much I have zero complaints about it. I really do hope for the best. I do not wish to censor anyone in any way, and if anyone thinks that, I am stating right now, that is 100% wrong. I do not wish that. I do not think that. I do not feel that. I just want CDPR to know that I care, alot. I care very very much. Please I beg CDPR, do not overlook the people who care about character customization, or any other kinds of customization. I'm hanging on as hard as I can.

Just to try to help you calm down a little about this, I'm pretty sure they're not gonna take it off because of comments about people not seeing the characters. First, they wouldn't just delete all the effort that went into it (they went as far as putting genital customization). Second, it's part of the RPG experience, even if we are not seeing the characters we know that we created then, and eventually when we do see them, even if briefly, we know that they don't just look like the default. A lot of people make fanart and stories of their OCs and stuff, and this is part of that experience. And every time the journalists mention character creator and how detailed it is many people mention how they're gonna spend a bunch of hours on it. There's many people hyped about this feature.

I myself plan to spend a long time on the character creator even if we're not gonna see V that often, and honestly the new default Vs are kinda of... not as great as their first counterparts. I'd use the previous default FemV for example, but this new one they're using for promo is not really for me. I played Mass Effect with a customized FShep and then again with the default one. I think having this freedom of roleplay is their priority at least, so the possibility of something like that being removed is like, veeery low.

Guest 4406876

I find immensely unrealistic to have a situation, especially from CDPR that can't afford and doesn't want to waste time on useless features (from their perspective), where you can customize so deeply your character (private parts and teeth and hair and so on), and never be able to acutally see it (outside of inventory screen). It doesn't make sense for the studio usual approach and for the manpower wasted for useless things (things are useless when you can't observe them or interact with them in a meaningful way during gameplay and on demand, especially teeth color). I refuse to think they will be that level of unusefulness. One part of me is certainly raising doubts about many things so far we've seen (most of them flaws I suspect have been shown to calm down the community about the delay in a sort of "you see we have really important stuff to do, that's why we delayed"), the other side of me expects a big turnover on release and a big surprise. Usually I'm wrong with all of my predictions, I just hope it doesn't bring back memories of Bioware's methods of development when time comes.

Just to try to help you calm down a little about this, I'm pretty sure they're not gonna take it off because of comments about people not seeing the characters. First, they wouldn't just delete all the effort that went into it (they went as far as putting genital customization). Second, it's part of the RPG experience, even if we are not seeing the characters we know that we created then, and eventually when we do see them, even if briefly, we know that they don't just look like the default. A lot of people make fanart and stories of their OCs and stuff, and this is part of that experience. And every time the journalists mention character creator and how detailed it is many people mention how they're gonna spend a bunch of hours on it. There's many people hyped about this feature.

I myself plan to spend a long time on the character creator even if we're not gonna see V that often, and honestly the new default Vs are kinda of... not as great as their first counterparts. I'd use the previous default FemV for example, but this new one they're using for promo is not really for me. I played Mass Effect with a customized FShep and then again with the default one. I think having this freedom of roleplay is their priority at least, so the possibility of something like that being removed is like, veeery low.
I miss original 2018 48 minute gameplay demo female V as well. Thanks for making me feel better :sad::)
In all the gameplay I watched, I do not think I have seen picture of the new female V anywhere. Does this exist, or is this only based on the voice change?
Post automatically merged:

One part of me is certainly raising doubts about many things so far we've seen (most of them flaws I suspect have been shown to calm down the community about the delay in a sort of "you see we have really important stuff to do, that's why we delayed"), the other side of me expects a big turnover on release and a big surprise.
This part of what you said really made me go "Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....." :think:
very interesting. very exciting.

I miss original 2018 48 minute gameplay demo female V as well. Thanks for making me feel better :sad::)
In all the gameplay I watched, I do not think I have seen picture of the new female V anywhere. Does this exist, or is this only based on the voice change?

No problem! Try not to worry about it too much!

They used the new FemV recently on marketing material to show the Life Paths, example:

She doesn't look that cool to me. I'm glad they used the other one first, which caught my eye cause she looks awesome. And also happy that there is character customization so I can change her hehe

Also another reason I just remembered why they wouldn't take off character customization! You can at least see you arms, so you see your skin color/tattoos/arm accessories (?) often at least!

No problem! Try not to worry about it too much!

They used the new FemV recently on marketing material to show the Life Paths, example:

She doesn't look that cool to me. I'm glad they used the other one first, which caught my eye cause she looks awesome. And also happy that there is character customization so I can change her hehe

Also another reason I just remembered why they wouldn't take off character customization! You can at least see you arms, so you see your skin color/tattoos/arm accessories (?) often at least!
WOW, that image of female V, when you showed me, I was like "oh wait, I remember seeing that" and then I realize how quickly I forgot it. In fact, I completely forgot the new male V an the new female V, and I forgot them extremely quickly. I may not have even been 100% sure if those were just pictures of NPC's, but I can't remember, maybe I didn't rationalize that they may actually be the official male and female V, at least at this point. My brain just did a full "NOPE"

It makes me miss original male V and original female V a lot. The original male and female V seemed inspired, real, special. alive. But these ones, I dunno. I feel absolutely nothing when I look at these updated characters. I would even use the word "soulless", for the lack of a better term. That's just my opinion though. They just seem cold, bland, boring, emotionless.
Maybe that's intentional, maybe it's because those appear to be the corporate versions. Maybe I'm actually giving them a complement for making them that expressively corporate. All I know, is I don't think I could play an entire game looking like I feel like I'm evil, and also keep my lunch down at the same time. Love is something I really intent to put into my V character, something that seems intentionally non-existent in those pictures of corporate V. I think this is fully intentional though, but they may have done too good of a job making them feel evil and corporate. I just tried my best to describe how that made me feel.

I really really really miss original male and female V.

edit: now I feel really stupid LOL... I didn't read that thing at the top that reads:
"Few leave the corporate world with their lives — fewer still with their souls intact. You've been there — you've bent the rules, exploited secrets and weaponized information. There's no such thing as a fair game, only winners and losers."
But I also feel smart too, because I guess I did really do a good job of reading the images, rather than the text. I didn't even see the text until after I wrote this whole thing.

So CDPR is doing a GREAT job. whoa.... That's... skill.... CDPR you scare me with your skills. amazing *clap*

edit: but I have to say, even though those corporate V's look very corporate, I would not want to look like them, even if I was corporate. I would choose a more sleek and classy and sophisticated and fancy style, and go for a sharper cleaner look, for when I eventually play as corporate.

Last edited:
WOW, that image of female V, when you showed me, I was like "oh wait, I remember seeing that" and then I realize how quickly I forgot it. In fact, I completely forgot the new male V an the new female V, and I forgot them extremely quickly. I may not have even been 100% sure if those were just pictures of NPC's, but I can't remember, maybe I didn't rationalize that they may actually be the official male and female V, at least at this point. My brain just did a full "NOPE"

It makes me miss original male V and original female V a lot. The original male and female V seemed inspired, real, special. alive. But these ones, I dunno. I feel absolutely nothing when I look at these updated characters. I would even use the word "soulless", for the lack of a better term. That's just my opinion though. They just seem cold, bland, boring, emotionless.
Maybe that's intentional, maybe it's because those appear to be the corporate versions. Maybe I'm actually giving them a complement for making them that expressively corporate. All I know, is I don't think I could play an entire game looking like I feel like I'm evil, and also keep my lunch down at the same time. Love is something I really intent to put into my V character, something that seems intentionally non-existent in those pictures of corporate V. I think this is fully intentional though, but they may have done too good of a job making them feel evil and corporate. I just tried my best to describe how that made me feel.

I really really really miss original male and female V.

edit: now I feel really stupid LOL... I didn't read that thing at the top that reads:
"Few leave the corporate world with their lives — fewer still with their souls intact. You've been there — you've bent the rules, exploited secrets and weaponized information. There's no such thing as a fair game, only winners and losers."
But I also feel smart too, because I guess I did really do a good job of reading the images, rather than the text. I didn't even see the text until after I wrote this whole thing.

So CDPR is doing a GREAT job. whoa.... That's... skill.... CDPR you scare me with your skills. amazing *clap*

For me their expressions look really good!!! Especially since I wanna be a Corpo. I really just don't like her design lol. There's something about her eyes... The make up is heavy but in a way that doesn't flatter her face. The side-cut size is not helping her face shape lol I just don't feel the volume (also dont like that pink). And I think because of that she looks older/more tired than male V. Maybe I'm just too picky and no one cares about this stuff lol, but I did see others talking about it.

Male V looks more generic than her tbh, but at least his hair is kinda cool.

So even though we're getting a FPP game, I'm really glad there's character creation. Let's make a map of all the mirror in Night City to fulfill our Narcissus needs lmao.

For me their expressions look really good!!! Especially since I wanna be a Corpo. I really just don't like her design lol. There's something about her eyes... The make up is heavy but in a way that doesn't flatter her face. The side-cut size is not helping her face shape lol I just don't feel the volume (also dont like that pink). And I think because of that she looks older/more tired than male V. Maybe I'm just too picky and no one cares about this stuff lol, but I did see others talking about it.

Male V looks more generic than her tbh, but at least his hair is kinda cool.

So even though we're getting a FPP game, I'm really glad there's character creation. Let's make a map of all the mirror in Night City to fulfill our Narcissus needs lmao.
Yes, I am hoping mirrors, even electronic ones (like screens that record you and show you yourself on the screen, like uh, cyber-mirrors) will be a great way to see your character often and make first person a little easier to swallow, even though I really like first person. I just like seeing myself, because it makes me feel like me when I'm in real life and I get dressed and I'm like "hmm I need a mirror, do I look presentable? do I look okay? do I look GOOD by my standards?" so mirrors do help a lot, and if i can do the same thing in Cyberpunk and help me be reminded that I do in fact look good, Not as an ego thing, just because hey, looking good, well you know, it feels good. It's just a happy thing. I love the first person perspective, but I do totally appreciate any chances CDProjektRed can give us to see our own characters in a variety of different creative ways. Maybe, just maybe, we could make braindances of our own character? Like V makes a braindance and you can watch it later again? That would be very cool. The mirror map idea is amazing. Suddenly we're like "Hold on let me bring up the mirror map" and then drive somewhere for 10 minutes straight just to get to a mirror haha. Maybe V could have a portable unfolding mirror screen thing?

I am slightly sad that we might be unable to view V's walking animations, which is where some form of third person would have come in very handy.

Maybe if V had a camera drone that follows them, that could canonically explain why V is able to view their car and motorbike in thirst person, because a camera is always following them! :Dcool right? Then maybe that hover camera drone could be what is used to take pictures and and videos of V?

Guest 4406876

Yes, I am hoping mirrors, even electronic ones (like screens that record you and show you yourself on the screen, like uh, cyber-mirrors) will be a great way to see your character often and make first person a little easier to swallow, even though I really like first person. I just like seeing myself, because it makes me feel like me when I'm in real life and I get dressed and I'm like "hmm I need a mirror, do I look presentable? do I look okay? do I look GOOD by my standards?" so mirrors do help a lot, and if i can do the same thing in Cyberpunk and help me be reminded that I do in fact look good, Not as an ego thing, just because hey, looking good, well you know, it feels good. It's just a happy thing. I love the first person perspective, but I do totally appreciate any chances CDProjektRed can give us to see our own characters in a variety of different creative ways. Maybe, just maybe, we could make braindances of our own character? Like V makes a braindance and you can watch it later again? That would be very cool. The mirror map idea is amazing. Suddenly we're like "Hold on let me bring up the mirror map" and then drive somewhere for 10 minutes straight just to get to a mirror haha. Maybe V could have a portable unfolding mirror screen thing?

I am slightly sad that we might be unable to view V's walking animations, which is where some form of third person would have come in very handy.

Maybe if V had a camera drone that follows them, that could canonically explain why V is able to view their car and motorbike in thirst person, because a camera is always following them! :Dcool right? Then maybe that hover camera drone could be what is used to take pictures and and videos of V?
Most of things we do to our bodies irl are to appear to others in a certain way. We can't see a tatoo on our backs (or pink theet O.O) but we have it to generate a social impact and statement of our personality before even knowing each other, or we might do it for our own beliefs, but in the end it affects our social interactions. These details in the game should affect social interactions in a sense, not to be pointless. Even if we can't see such features in a mirror. Or else it's a waste of time. My wife forgot she had a tatoo in the back of her shoulderblade she had made when she was 21, she was like "oh yeaaa I forgot! Does it still look good?". Of course it does but she doesn't care about it at all.

At the beginning, I was skeptical after they announced only FPP is possible, but after watching the gameplay videos, i'm even looking forward to it and understand why they chose it. And btw. I was wondering about the thread title "nobody seems to be raving about fpp". So what? Does that mean, it will be bad? :p Also nobody said that FPP was a terrible choice :ROFLMAO: But i really hope they are still working on the shadows.

LOL teeth customization though. But yeah, pretty much this. I mean, I'm in the acceptance phase already, but a third person cutscene now and then wouldn't hurt the experience at all. The customization is super hardcore and there's so much detail, feels kinda sad that all those features that went through effort to be made will not be seen that much.

Thank you.

Nobody (at least not me) is saying the game needs to eliminate FPP and go TPP. No, let it stay FPP but a quick cutscene here and there at key moments to allow the player to see their V express their emotions and feelings through facial expressions and body language would not hurt.

Again, the 2018 demo had the PERFECT balance for it. It is sad and baffling as to why they changed it when nobody was complaining.
Post automatically merged:

Honestly the only reason they expanded the character customization compared to 2018 (or at the very least seem to have) that I could see is that perhaps later down the road they want to release a TPP update/free DLC. Or do something with the more subtle/unseen customization options like the facial options.

Like, I'd get it if they came to the conclusion that FPP was the for the best moving forward because it works way better with their design vision and then scrap some of the TPP stuff they've been working on and start working on making more cutscenes first person for example. But then why offer teeth customization and all the other extra facial stuff because from the sound of it customization wasn't dialed back down from the 2018 demo, they actually added more stuff in especially the face. Stuff that won't be viewed outside the inventory screen and perhaps mirrors. Why do that if you never intend to use it in any meaningful way? It sounds so odd to me :shrug:

That's why I wonder if they intend to showcase it more in some way in the future outside of the aforementioned inventory screen and mirrors.

But as a final statement as plausible or unplausible this might sound to you my advice is don't get your hopes up. Just accept that'll be first person.

I believe it is the exact opposite. CDPR's view of character customization is for role playing purposes as opposed to functional/visual purposes.

You talk about them adding more TPP elements in the future but currently they have been subtracting the TPP elements. Journalist have confirmed that the V apartment cutscene from 2018 was eliminated in the demo they played.

So nothing from CDPR suggests they will add more TPP elements going forward. Only hope is that enough people raise this concern in the vanilla game and come time for DLCs, they would add more TPP elements to make it on par with the 2018 demo.

Last edited:
I can almost guarantee that the only reason why CP77’s perspective is a controversy, is because CDPR opened a can of worms by admitting that either/or was ever an option.

You're welcome to this opinion but I can't say I agree with it. I won't fault a game developer for taking a more transparent route, openly discussing a feature and/or asking for/receiving feedback on it and then in the end not using it. It comes off as insisting they must begin with their starting point, or vision of the game, and stay with it. As if it's some static approach. I don't think this is fair to them. It's not realistic or reasonable either. Things change.

The developer should be cut some slack in this area. Maybe they thought something would work better one way but as things evolved and came together realized it worked better another. If they really put passion and effort into the game, and I sincerely think CDPR does, they've earned this freedom.

It's the exact same deal with areas like car customization or features supposedly being "cut". People see this and assume it means the game is losing content. As if those features and functionality were fully implemented and in their finished state then cut out of the equation at the last minute. Nothing was lost here. It just means things changed in the design process. It happens.

If anything I'd rather see things go the other way, in fact. Game devs be a bit more forthcoming with what they're trying to achieve, how those views shift over the development process, etc. Unfortunately, this often means they get slapped around in the video game "media" and from players alike. This is probably why they often aren't so free with sharing.

If anything I'd rather see things go the other way, in fact. Game devs be a bit more forthcoming with what they're trying to achieve, how those views shift over the development process, etc. Unfortunately, this often means they get slapped around in the video game "media" and from players alike. This is probably why they often aren't so free with sharing.
It's exactly why devs play things so close to the chest and don't release gameplay footage until the game is in alpha/beta 3 months before they go gold. game development is fuckin hard and messy and frustrating. if people understood this on a more fundamental level, the video game 'media' wouldn't publish articles with ridiculous titles like 'cdpr cuts promised feature' as if cdpr has been out here promising anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom