Ubisoft's Totally Unintentional Witcher 3 Mods [AC Valhalla]

+
For those who have seen the leaked footage of AC Valhalla, did you get the same overwhelming Witcher 3 vibes? Ever since AC Origins I have silently made fun of the franchise for being the best Witcher 3 mods a studio could make; it's been just to make me chuckle, not to diminish the great mods available for TW3 and the Witcher series as a whole. But this latest gameplay from AC Valhalla has me in stitches because it reminds me so much of TW3, especially the colour palette of East Anglia, where it takes place. It has enough of its own identity that it's not plagiarising...it's just...it makes me giggle c:

I just wanted to share something that made me laugh today. If you can find it, hopefully it makes you laugh too.

Oh man, Assassin's Creed saga... I haven't been interested in this game after the second opus.
But I've had a glimpse at the video they shown and even though I didn't see a tangible comparison with The Witcher games, I've had my own chuckle at the way they seem to push furthermore into fantasy one episode after another :howdy:
Excuse my trolling, but this AC:V is closest to the movie Vikingdom in term of Viking culture from that period. Far.

Have you guys seen the leaked 30 min gameplay of the new assassin's creed Velen... I mean, Valhalla?

It's not even close to the concept of stealthy assassin's FFS...

At least enemies don't have those immersion breaking levels above their heads, which makes the game better than the last ones, but it has useless numbers popping out of enemies (what's the point if it doesn't have levels to begin with?)...

I can't believe they turned that fascinating franchise into a bad copy of the Witcher 3.

Sild

Ex-moderator
I can't believe they turned that fascinating franchise into a bad copy of the Witcher 3.

Mm-hmm. I'm also pretty bummed that they chose to switch and stick to action RPG mechanics instead of improving the classic AC formula. Ah well, it is what it is. I'll probably grab it at a discount at some point.

AC Origins, Odyssey and for sure Valhalla did find inspiration from Witcher 3 indeed. The whole open world thing is clearly taken from Witcher 3.

However, they are not in any way bad games. Inferior to Witcher 3? Yes. But not by far. AC Valhalla will be interesting to play. Then again I am quite a bit of an AC fan, played almost all games in this franchise. Some of them are stellar classics such as AC1, AC2 and its expansions and Black Flag.

Have you guys seen the leaked 30 min gameplay of the new assassin's creed Velen... I mean, Valhalla?

It's not even close to the concept of stealthy assassin's FFS...

At least enemies don't have those immersion breaking levels above their heads, which makes the game better than the last ones, but it has useless numbers popping out of enemies (what's the point if it doesn't have levels to begin with?)...

I must be the only person on planet earth who enjoys the number feature when you hurt enemies.

With assassin's creed games I think it's good to buy one then skip a couple of games. It takes 3 years before they update the gameplay.

I've bought Assassin's Creed Odyssey and I skipped Origins and will skip Valhalla as it looks like a reskin. I will probably buy the next game they release in a couple years.

I say if it takes good things from the witcher series then its positive. All games copy good concepts from each other, the witcher included.

Just as a warning, any person posting leaked content is going to have issues with the prohibition on contributing to or promoting violation of copyright ...

That title :ROFLMAO:

Some modders are better then the Ubisoft creative team, tbh. They usually improve gsmes instead of taking the worst part of it and duplicate (last AC just took TW3's flaws and made a game around them instead of picking the best parts). Excellent artists, top notch in some cases, but in terms of game design and narrative Ubisoft has real problems. All their games are a huge more of the same of pre existing stuff. It's not a surprise that their best recent games come from the ubiart project (Rayman, child of light, valiant hearts) and it's even less surprising they closed ubiart years ago.
Post automatically merged:

Just as a warning, any person posting leaked content is going to have issues with the prohibition on contributing to or promoting violation of copyright ...
But @Sild IIRC said we could post an article that contains the video (say IGN). Right?

What do people expect from Ubisoft at this point?
they put the series on hold because everybody got tired of them milking it, Syndicate is the laziest game in the entire franchise
after 2 years, the best thing they came up with is a copy of TW3 with the subtitle "Origins"
"creative bankruptcy" is an understatement at the point

Looks meh at best - Ubi did a reskin of Odyssey, hoping that the new setting is popular enough to cover lack of any meaningful improvements. I'll wait a year for a "all DLC" sale.

Moved a few posts from the General videogame thread to this thread, as there's no point in having two threads discussing the exact same thing.

Also edited the thread title to add clarity.

What do people expect from Ubisoft at this point?
they put the series on hold because everybody got tired of them milking it, Syndicate is the laziest game in the entire franchise
after 2 years, the best thing they came up with is a copy of TW3 with the subtitle "Origins"
"creative bankruptcy" is an understatement at the point

I liked all 3 latest AC main games. Syndicate in particular. Inferior to Witcher 3? Of course! Witcher 3 is like the standard for any open-world adventure game, with Skyrim only as its equal. But bad? Not at all.

That trailer reminded me of Witcher 3 a lot, maybe this time they will get it right :D The last two games were just pathetic attempts to imitate Witcher. Good games, but they weren't AC, they weren't Witcher, they were just some generic, forgettable RPGs.

there do seem to be significant improvements. i have no idea how 'meaningful' they will be, but they do look significant.
one example being 'skills' and 'abilities' having separate trees and upgrade paths, probably having to do with the lack of 'levels' in favour of more aptly describing Eivor's 'power'.
i don't hate AC: The aRPG Experience, but i would like another major gameplay focus shift after Valhalla, one that really peels back the weapon variety and digs deep into traversal and stealth. and goes somewhere new! Khmer Empire, Mali Empire, Aboriginal Australia, 17thC Brasil. a whole planet and this series just does not like spending AAA money outside of Western stories.

I personally like the new formula because the series was getting stale. You still have a choice between swords blazing or stealth. The combat is miles better. The fantasy aspect I could do without but they clearly are sticking with it. And I don't mind some influence as long as the games still have their own identity, which both Origins and Odyssey did imo.

absolutely. the formula shift was great. i want them to do it again. more stealth, more traversal, but more consequence to blades blazing imo. ubisoft has a proven tendency to get stuck in a rut with their game formulas, as we saw with early AC and to various degrees their other ip's. but when they change the formula (esp recently) they don't do an entirely terrible job. TW3 clearly shocked them out of their rut (with the assistance of the travesty of AC Unity at launch).
they're not a bad studio...they're just...skittish? anxious? i think they need a hug.

If they actually copied the Witcher 3, and I can't really say if they did since TW3 didn't make me want to play enough to notice, at least it doesn't look like they copied TW3's combat.

The voice acting in Valhalla doesn't seem to be the best

Edit: Apparently there are both flings and long term relationships available in Valhalla

You can pet animals and I heard you can get a pet cat

Last edited:
Top Bottom