Katana Gameplay (looks smoother and cleaner and better, but still needs work)

+

Do you notice any improvement? What do you think would make it better?

• Total voters
Ok now I just gotta know. Is it "kereZNIkov" or "kereNZIkov"?
Because I think I've seen plenty of conflicting information all the way from the 2020 books.
Can we have someone official confirm the correct spelling?

Personally Im a fan of the former.
It's spelled differently in 2020 (Kerenzikov) and 2077 (Kereznikov). AFAIK we don't know why.
Personally I prefer the 2077 version.

No, it's the exact same video. I don't understand where you see differences. It's 1 to 1 the same.
When I posted the thread, it was very soon after I noticed the video I linked, which was recently uploaded and looked much cleaner and smoother than that other not so clear katana video I saw. It looked better, and it was a new video, so I said "I'm 99% sure this is new footage" Even if there is the possibility that it's an automated test-run character-on-a-track, it could be new footage, but made to happen the same way as the old footage, which is why I thought it looked similar, but still new.
Post automatically merged:

What old footage? The video was most probably captured on the same build the journalists played on.
But you said they sent out footage again? The video came out new, and then I made the thread. So if you say it's old footage, why would a new video making person get sent old footage by CDPR? I'm not saying this is what happened, I'm just saying, there is clearly some kind of confusion happening. I wouldn't upload an old video and waste everyones time, because you know, that wouldn't be very cool of me lol. I'm just trying my best. If this is just a strange situation where things don't make sense, then I really don't know what to say. I'm more and more confused every second. I thought I made myself 100% clear upon making the first post that created the thread. :shrug:

Ok now I just gotta know. Is it "kereZNIkov" or "kereNZIkov"?
Because I think I've seen plenty of conflicting information all the way from the 2020 books.
Can we have someone official confirm the correct spelling?

Personally Im a fan of the former.
I totally agree, I love the way Kerez-Nikov sounds for some reason. If I am not mistaken, and I probably am, but it actually sounds like someones last-name that I heard before some time long ago, like in a movie, or on the news.

Last edited:
my 3 cents if devs hopefully read this, combat in the Witcher 3 while being a tottally different type of game TPP/Action RPG.
gave you impression that your attacks matter and were really meaningfull apart from decreasing health bar of enemies.

Meanwhile the melee combat in CP2077 both fists and katana for now seem, skyrim-esq that you just click and attack happens there seems to bo no depth to it, no thinking on how to attack and at what moment and how to defend oneself form additional enemies. However it might be as someone suggested that it's fault of low skill level used in this build and it gets more dynamic and tactically deep along with higher skill.

honestly, I'm not sure that I'll use katanas often, or even at all. however, I do plan on utilizing smaller caliber weapons quite a bit, and my fear is that melee weapons, or brawler builds will prove to be obsolete both in playstyle, and just the general appeal they garner from the players. it's clear none of us have played the game enough to say whether the animations improve, or become less clunky as you level up, but I do think at some point whether this is the case or not; there needs to be some clarification on the devs part. That's just how I see it, and I know they're busy, but there is a whole community that is hesitant in expecting anything seamless when it comes to these subjects. I hope that made sense :3

VelWu

Forum regular
Bullet blocking can use a bit more polish (pun intended), that's for sure.

What's with the blue texture, though?? Makes it look like a training tool for children. That's a dishonor for a glorious weapon such as katana.

honestly, I'm not sure that I'll use katanas often, or even at all. however, I do plan on utilizing smaller caliber weapons quite a bit, and my fear is that melee weapons, or brawler builds will prove to be obsolete both in playstyle, and just the general appeal they garner from the players. it's clear none of us have played the game enough to say whether the animations improve, or become less clunky as you level up, but I do think at some point whether this is the case or not; there needs to be some clarification on the devs part. That's just how I see it, and I know they're busy, but there is a whole community that is hesitant in expecting anything seamless when it comes to these subjects. I hope that made sense :3
I'm very excited for finding creative ways to use the katana, hopefully the special katana with bullet blocking shield technology like someone mentioned a long time ago, I hope it ends up being true. I'm thinking about getting cybermods for my legs so I can run fast and then enable kereznikov "ZA WARUDO!!!!" and slice slice slice up all the bad guys and then time resumes and all the enemies are like "ARGHGHH WE HAVE BEEN DEFEATED IN ONE SECOND! HOW?!" and then V is like "heh... nothing personnel"
I am very excited! :D

Bullet blocking can use a bit more polish (pun intended), that's for sure.

What's with the blue texture, though?? Makes it look like a training tool for children. That's a dishonor for a glorious weapon such as katana.
I totally agree. :D

Last edited:
my 3 cents if devs hopefully read this, combat in the Witcher 3 while being a tottally different type of game TPP/Action RPG.
gave you impression that your attacks matter and were really meaningfull apart from decreasing health bar of enemies.

Meanwhile the melee combat in CP2077 both fists and katana for now seem, skyrim-esq that you just click and attack happens there seems to bo no depth to it, no thinking on how to attack and at what moment and how to defend oneself form additional enemies. However it might be as someone suggested that it's fault of low skill level used in this build and it gets more dynamic and tactically deep along with higher skill.
I really found Witcher 3's combat to be extremely clunky and frustrating. The more I think back to it, the more I dislike the combat. I rather combat in cyberpunk2077 be bad and easy to use like skyrim, than if it was bad and extremely counter intuitive and frustrating and clunky like witcher 3.

But as I have said before, I would really prefer if the combat was easy to use, intuitive, fun, exciting and challenging, but not frustrating. I would prefer more fluidity of movement and freedom and finesse, feeling less trapped. Just feeling free.

I forget if anyone confirmed this or not, but are dual-wield weapons in? Can we dual wield katanas, and can we dual wield rapid fire small caliber weapons?

I forget if anyone confirmed this or not, but are dual-wield weapons in? Can we dual wield katanas, and can we dual wield rapid fire small caliber weapons?
I'm not exactly sure, but I wouldn't hold my breath for it until we get some sort of real confirmation, Fridge!

probably us when ( if ) dual wield gets confrimed

Why not use both:

Why not use both:
If I'm not mistaken this person is splitting the bullet in half by shooting the blunt back part of the knife, as it does not appear to be a double edged knife, so I think they should have turned the knife around to make the bullet splitting more effective. Obviously this is just a movie though, and totally fake, and nobody should ever try to do this because they would be severely injured or die. But in Cyberpunk2077, a video game? I would love to try this out, but maybe not in such a cheesy way. The deadpool katana thing is almost too cheesy, but it's also so cool that it overloads the cheesyness and is more cool than cheesy.

Melee combat need a lot of work, it look bad and sorry but whole argument "melee look like this since V is low level in that skill" is so stupid, there are better ways to show skill progression in gameplay than puting bad/junky animation, that will make people more mad iritaded if they need to watch 20+h of bad/junky animation.

BTW in first few second it look like he put katana away, and then first strike come from upward to downward, it look weird af even in slow-mo.

It's like his arm teleport upward, so he can do that strike.

The deadpool katana thing is almost too cheesy, but it's also so cool that it overloads the cheesyness and is more cool than cheesy.

I'm pretty sure those aren't katanas. I don't believe it's a weapon you would dual wield either. Someone can feel free to correct me. But... it is a video game so....

Hey, saw the whole Katana vid - that we get only 20 seconds of?!! comon!! . Love the funky punky blue Katana! I want make a Sairento build!

My 2c on the katana gameplay.

I've read the previous posts and I agree with some many of the points. i think the way V use the weapon is not that great too. Also thinking is it because the level isnt upgraded high enough?

About geralt's combat (witcher 3). At the very beginning u'd have to dodge and time the strikes because geralt suck at it (havent unlock the skills), cast yrden, quen etc at the right time. Further along, I wasnt invested anymore because geralt's move just got prettier and overpowered - u know where he does this twirling thing among hordes of enemies and just ravage everyone in his path.. and u just twril and twirl and twirl.. till kingdom comes.. Some more, most of the strikes you'd wonder why geralt use that in the first place as first or second move, some hits doesnt seem right for the situation. but he does a job to close the distance with enemies which was great. then theres this one click for all hit thing..mmmh. Sorry got sidetrack, short story is geralt's combat (witcher 3) was, well - okay. aesthetic - great.

I agree with the kingdom come combat is not greatest but good. albeit slow, getting use too, but the combat was realistic. using proper blocks, with timing. loved it. spent too much time getting drunk and fighting while drunk, was great fun. drunk while fighting boss battles was so funny, anywayss.......

Sorry if I didnt mention who said what with the following statements just to make it easier for me.

So, In dantic's video, 1.06min, already I can start to see 3 basic predictable moves. 1st level 8 enemy, V strike from top right, then, from middle left to right, which got him in the head. About the hit stop, I see it here. "Clunk! clunk!" V hits metal and we could see V's Katana doesnt go right through and stop with each hit on the enemy.

2nd level 7 enemy, 1.11min, v strikes again from top right, then mid left and this time from bottom right to up. we hear "swish swish swish" with a hint of metal sound. Visually at the same time we see V cuts through the enemy and stop partway manually as to not fully swing the sword too far away from the enemy. realistic. The third cut from bottom up, we ca see the katana does stick into the enemy and pause, before v continues its cut traversing upwards left. Need to see more footage CDPR!!!!!!!!!!!

Overall, sword play in this --20 sec--:censored: video, is just basic. okay the most. im not inspired to use the katana throughout the game. If, this is all there is to it that is.

I think the guarding position is all good i think becuase a) I dont expect low level V to hold or use the katana very well. I do want to see better use for higher level V or melee. b) it looks aesthetically allright, for a game. besides, V's running and moving. I dont expect to see perfect guarding stance all the time every moment. sure maybe when at slower speeds, if devs want to animate that why not. and yeah for the sake of it, realistically, I don't position the katana like that.
Theres the talk about the idle pose? which is that?

OKay theres the talk about slicing bullets. theres this BB bullet slice by Isao Machii , Im sure some of you are familliar with.

About the double wield. Search up niten ichi ryu. Its how to properly use katana swords in dual wield situation. In the link shows using dual wield bamboo kendo swords or shinai, one long the other short that's for the sparing practice. gives you the idea of how you would use the katana and wakizashi / tanto (short sword) together.

About the bullet stopping, yeah, since its cyberpunk I do expect to see better bullet blocking at higher levels.

At this stage, I feel it's going to be a long shot if CDPR wants to change the fighting style for the Katana. But if the devs really do make some kind of an improvement, I'd really like to see different skilled fighting with katana, and also other melee fighting weponds. Instead of single click(for higher level melee) maybe different button for different cutting moves combos etc. Better sword play or fight with higher level melee npcs. Same goes for fist fighting, better moves and animation please... just saw that youtube comparison of the fist fight with mirrors edge, yup, definitely can do with a bit more improvement..
. sidetracked again.

I could go on, but gotta cut it. can you please throw in a shield, european swords and staff, but cyberlike. thor's cyber hammer hehe. yes I've been playing abit too much blade and sorcery. oh and CDPR, - Legendary Status -

Last edited:
I don't believe it's a weapon you would dual wield either.

Miyamoto Musashi (宮本 武蔵, c. 1584 – June 13, 1645), also known as Shinmen Takezō, Miyamoto Bennosuke or, by his Buddhist name, Niten Dōraku, was a Japanese swordsman, philosopher, strategist, writer and rōnin. Musashi, as he was often simply known, became renowned through stories of his unique double-bladed swordsmanship and undefeated record in his 61 duels (next is 33 by Itō Ittōsai).

Top Bottom