Katana Gameplay (looks smoother and cleaner and better, but still needs work)

+

Do you notice any improvement? What do you think would make it better?

• Total voters
It is still better than the wield in CP2077...

Well, at least in C2077 I can recognize a Kamae I know and which justifie why the weapon is in my FoV.
Biggest problem I have with C2077 Katana melee is it's slashes (well, hack I should say) which are just arms movements instead of a whole body one.

OKay theres the talk about slicing bullets. theres this BB bullet slice by Isao Machii , Im sure some of you are familliar with.

How long do you think that was rehearsed? :). Not trying to take anything away from it but that really looks like luck. Now, if he did that 10 times consecutively without any preparation....

Miyamoto Musashi (宮本 武蔵, c. 1584 – June 13, 1645), also known as Shinmen Takezō, Miyamoto Bennosuke or, by his Buddhist name, Niten Dōraku, was a Japanese swordsman, philosopher, strategist, writer and rōnin. Musashi, as he was often simply known, became renowned through stories of his unique double-bladed swordsmanship and undefeated record in his 61 duels (next is 33 by Itō Ittōsai).

I'm not claiming you can't dual wield katanas. I just don't think it would make sense. Just imagine how cumbersome it would be to use a weapon with the length of a katana in each hand simultaneously. I'd imagine it would hit a point where it would be counter-productive.

Ah, here you go.

"Musashi created and refined a two-sword kenjutsu technique called niten'ichi (二天一, "two heavens as one") or nitōichi (二刀一, "two swords as one") or 'Niten Ichi-ryū' (A Kongen Buddhist Sutra refers to the two heavens as the two guardians of Buddha). In this technique, the swordsman uses both a large sword, and a "companion sword" at the same time, such as a katana with a wakizashi."

In fairness to Fridge, this is all a bit nitpicky, arguably off-topic and doesn't matter in the grand scheme.

Biggest problem I have with C2077 Katana melee is it's slashes (well, hack I should say) which are just arms movements instead of a whole body one.
I mean, it's a bit difficult to transmit that feeling of movement in first person unless you do it with a lot of headbobing and movement which I'm not too sure would be a benefit.

I mean, it's a bit difficult to transmit that feeling of movement in first person unless you do it with a lot of headbobing and movement which I'm not too sure would be a benefit.

If you don't do it lifelike, what is the point ?
Besides, there wound't be so much movement as you think, as when you do such a things:
-Your eyes are kinda locked on your target, compensating movements.
-Your brain also tries to compensate movements.

Those two are also actually why you don't feel headbob IRL.

And while I understand it would be difficult to make the brain works, locking of your target would be possible, and would actually work even better with what I said I think it was in the first katana topic about melee targeting.

You could also easely add a little dash for the forward movement.

I just wish like the animation would not stop when he does a move with the katana, like the animation could continue.

If you don't do it lifelike, what is the point ?
You can kinda say that about mostly everything in games though :shrug:

locking of your target would be possible
Don't think they'd entertain that idea given the emphasis of being able to look anywhere even during convos. And personally I wouldn't be too thrilled with being locked on an enemy when I attack.

All that being said I think moving with say heavy attacks would transfer that feeling of repositioning your body to put more force behind your blows. Not moving the head through bobbing too much but like have the character make a step forward when doing a certain heavy attack type for example. It's not ideal but it's a nice middleground I think.

I just wish like the animation would not stop when he does a move with the katana, like the animation could continue.
You mean the pause on hit? Yeah that looks jarring, hope you can deactivate/remove that (at least via mods).

Last edited:
You can kinda say that about mostly everything in games though :shrug:

Nope.
Considering copying reality for immersion is the FPP things, the argument you always hear: "It's more immersive because it's more lifelike."

Minus it can also be:"When you see a copy of something you end up seeing the differences, not the common things, while when you see something totally different you cannot relate so it doesn't bugs you."

Don't think they'd entertain that idea given the emphasis of being able to look anywhere even during convos. And personally I wouldn't be too thrilled with being locked on an enemy when I attack.

It's only for the duration of the attack, like for about one second.
Or you are telling me that you plan one moving your camera during attack, even if actual aiming system requires you to look on your target anyway (unlike VR for example).

And why are you speaking about convos? I don't see how it relates to melee.

As far as I know there's not one 1st person game with melee that does what you ask. 3rd person sure but not 1st.

Some come close, like for example RDR2 and Mirror's Edge Catalyst .
And Mirror's Edge Catalyst isn't a fighting game nor an FPS nor have more budget than C2077, so the usual excuses about how C2077 isn't a true FPS doesn't work here.

Besides, it's not because something haven't been done yet that's it's either bad or impossible to do.
Coding a Melee maai would be no different than coding a ranged weapon maximum range. (It's probably even already in the game with ranged hacking wire)
And about the step? Well, even Fallout 4 (and VR) have something related which may be tweaked easely to fit that need.

To be honest in Mirror's Edge Catalyst, most of enemy just stand there and let you to hit them, almost zero reaction from them, i mean that video is just jump kick, slide kick some fist hit, and enemy is omg she kicking our buts, let stand still maybe attack onec or twice.

To be honest in Mirror's Edge Catalyst, most of enemy just stand there and let you to hit them, almost zero reaction from them, i mean that video is just jump kick, slide kick some fist hit, and enemy is omg she kicking our buts, let stand still maybe attack onec or twice.

Well, I don't know about you but when I criticize C2077 melee I'm talking about V's melee, not the NPC's.
I could too, to a much lesser extend, but i'm not.

It’s a good thing it looks bad early in the game.

It *should*!

And it should get smoother as the skill increases.

I don’t understand the fuss about how things don’t look perfect (shooting, driving, hth, melee...) early on in the game given what kind of game this is allegedly ”supposed” to be.

And I’m kinda afraid that CDPR caves in on the pressure, and worsens things by making it all as smooth as possible, when it should still be going the opposite direction and giving the character abilities even more weight, and room to improve the hands on experience. Because nothing really looks all that bad; and definitely not even close to as bad as has been said.

It’s a good thing it looks bad early in the game.

It *should*!

And it should get smoother as the skill increases.

I don’t understand the fuss about how things don’t look perfect (shooting, driving, hth, melee...) early on in the game given what kind of game this is allegedly ”supposed” to be.

It should, yes. The point of contention is how this variance is illustrated. It makes a lot more sense for this variance to be represented via body control, amplifying attacks by using the entire body instead of just the arms, speed of slashes/stabs, accuracy, fluidity, overall technique, stuff like this. I'd expect the animations to reflect these type of things if they're going to display this variance.

As an example, your character with novice katana skill has a long wind-up on attacks, they get most of their power or control via arm use instead of full body movement, lack precision, are a bit clunky when moving from attack to attack, less likely to hit critical areas, the list goes on. There are any number of methods to represent limited proficiency in a natural way.

And I’m kinda afraid that CDPR caves in on the pressure, and worsens things by making it all as smooth as possible, when it should still be going the opposite direction and giving the character abilities even more weight, and room to improve the hands on experience. Because nothing really looks all that bad; and definitely not even close to as bad as has been said.

It doesn't look as bad as it sounds, for sure. It doesn't look very good either though. There is a lot of room for improvement.

I'd add, it's not like this concept has to be incredibly involved. Presumably altering animations to reflect character proficiency would be kind of... expensive. A few subtle changes here or there is likely sufficient. If they're going to do so they should at least try to make it appear like it tries to make sense.

I don't think I've seen a FP game depict body movement in melee. It would have to be done with the camera as you say, and that would have people getting motion sickness in a matter of minutes. For my money, Shadow Warrior still does it the best. It even has a kick, parry and jump kick that are perfectly implemented. Would love to see those as unlockable skills in Cyberpunk.

Top Bottom