Night City Wire - Media, News & Previews - links and discussion

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Invincible -increases maximum health by 10%.
  • Super Hero Landing - reduces fall damage by 5%.
Such cool names for such minimal bonuses. AT HIGEST TIERS! Are we getting an RPG as promised or it's action-adventure with skill trees now?

Just what we all wanted Nipple Tasers :p

Post automatically merged:

Hmmmmm i wonder what happen if the other person has Nipple Tasers too .

Hmmmmm i wonder what happen if the other person has Nipple Tasers too .

More info. Bards singing songs about mass-produced "epic/legendary"weapons are officially a thing, I guess.
According to the preview, the level of quality is simply the indication of how many modifications can be installed on such an item and with a Techie skills we are able to add slots for those, in the process possibly turning even a regular weapons into a legendary weapons. At least this time we have a clear distinction between different levels of items quality.

On the subject of bulletsponges, based on some previews, like the one by Jesse Cox, it seems like Cyberpunk will be using a similar armor mechanic like the one present in a recent fairly decent RPG game Greedfall. The enemies have a certain armor value that goes down with every hit, while it absorbs most of the damage, so in case of Greedfall you had to either use the attacks, which omit the armor or use the weapons that deal more damage to the armor. Cyberpunk seems to include similar system, but instead it relies on damage types (Kinetic, Electrical, Chemical and Thermal) as we saw at 2018 demo. Tutorial apparently teaches the player that armor of the enemy protects him against certain damage types better, while it performs worse against the others, so in that case the key to defeating the enemy is to find his weakness, which allows you to penetrate his armor, then afterwards he is an easy picking. Possibly it means that stronger enemies with a better armor might be defeated by exploiting their weaknesses, while the same or close level enemies can be simply taken down conventionally.

According to the preview, the level of quality is simply the indication of how many modifications can be installed on such an item and with a Techie skills we are able to add slots for those, in the process possibly turning even a regular weapons into a legendary weapons. At least this time we have a clear distinction between different levels of items quality.

On the subject of bulletsponges, based on some previews, like the one by Jesse Cox, it seems like Cyberpunk will be using a similar armor mechanic like the one present in a recent fairly decent RPG game Greedfall. The enemies have a certain armor value that goes down with every hit, while it absorbs most of the damage, so in case of Greedfall you had to either use the attacks, which omit the armor or use the weapons that deal more damage to the armor. Cyberpunk seems to include similar system, but instead it relies on damage types (Kinetic, Electrical, Chemical and Thermal) as we saw at 2018 demo. Tutorial apparently teaches the player that armor of the enemy protects him against certain damage types better, while it performs worse against the others, so in that case the key to defeating the enemy is to find his weakness, which allows you to penetrate his armor, then afterwards he is an easy picking. Possibly it means that stronger enemies with a better armor might be defeated by exploiting their weaknesses, while the same or close level enemies can be simply taken down conventionally.
Didn't the Borderland games have a similar armor mechanic? It's been a while since I've played them but I seem to remember such a thing.

Such cool names for such minimal bonuses. AT HIGEST TIERS! Are we getting an RPG as promised or it's action-adventure with skill trees now?
I don't think that this is too much to worry about. But I'm assuming more of scaling-trend ala Dark Souls, where as the player gets better at the game that supplemental bonuses from the build matter less. Or maybe these percentages actually do contribute enough in a balancing aspect that maybe big numbers matter less.

i sincerely do not think those are the highest tier values...unless you're not being serious. whereas i still don't think those are the highest tier values.

i sincerely do not think those are the highest tier values...unless you're not being serious. whereas i still don't think those are the highest tier values.

Perks in this game will have multiple levels. So, say, an initial increase of 10% health could possibly be upgraded further for added effect. We don't know exactly which of the perks we were told about will be upgradeble though.

conventionally, anything with a passive percentage bonus is more likely to have multiple tiers (preferably that increase exponentially, but maybe that's just me). so i think health, armored damage reduction, and damage dealers will be multi-tiered

haven't played greedfall but it sounds similar to mass effect.
Regarding weapons, same weapons with different stats are confirmed. I don't think the rarity will be unlinked to that.
Regarding bullet sponges, 2 types are already confirmed:
-bosses sponges: sasquatch
-leveled sponges: X levels higher than you is a bullet sponge, confirmed as well.

I realize my english is worse than usual right now but I'm very tired. Bear with me.

https://spidersweb.pl/2020/06/cyberpunk-2077-questy-pawel-sasko-wywiad.html

I found a very interesting interview with Paweł Sasko in Polish. I will translate the most important stuff, since some things were already discussed in other interviews.

About the story length and general quest structure

Cyberpunk's structure was built on the foundations set by the lessons we learned from our work on The Witcher 3. The Witcher had main story as it's core with several subplots branching out of it. That was the basic structure, which we called a wheat spike. In Cyberpunk we added another nonlinear layer to it in the form of the subplots that serve as a quests, which can be triggered in a various circumstances. Those quests are not set up in a linear fashion. We are using an internal system, so called token system, which decides on whenever the game supposed to give you those quests.

That means that even I couldn't tell you in what kind of order those quests will trigger for you, because the game itself will decide on that based on your current progress. Of course we are still holding the reins and decide upon what kind of conditions need to be fulfilled for that particular quest to trigger, but the process itself is very difficult to explain. The game has the most complex structure that we ever did.

Looking back, in case of The Witcher 3, some players and journalists had an issue with the main plot being too long. Around the battle in Kaer Morhen and right after it there was this feeling of upcoming finality, but it ended up feeling too stretched out. That was one of the issues we wanted to avoid while creating Cyberpunk's main story. That additional time we got by making the main story slightly shorter, we spend on the subplots.

So in the Cyberpunk's structure we have this wheat spike, which serves as it's center, the main storyline with different subplots surrounding it, which can be triggered in a various ways. Those subplots allow us to do something that we have never done before, they change the main plot of the game and they are doing that in such a way that you may not even finish the main plot, but still finish the game and get a completely different epilogue then the player with a different Lifepath who made different choices, met different characters and formed relationships with them.

The game's nonlinear nature is present on several levels. Because of that, it's hard for me to tell how long exactly it will take for the player to finish the main story. Regarding of how many subplots we prepared, at this moment, looking just at the story content that has been handcrafted by my team, they are equal in length to the main story, even a little longer then that. Everything depends on the playstyle chosen by the player.

When people play the game as a Solo, they tend to finish the game faster then players who prefer more silent approach and, for example, avoid killing people, which means their playthrough will be quite longer. That quest inside All Food Factory, with the Maelstrom gang, Dum Dum and Royce, which you were playing through, offers 12 different paths and those paths vary in terms of length. Depending on your chosen path, the quest will have a different length and because of that it's hard to answer this question.

About whether you can finish the game without killing a single person

Oh yes, very much so. The most important choices in the game, all the bosses and elite enemies - there is always some way to avoid a bloodshed. Sometimes violence and enemy encounter is unavoidable, but it's not like you are forced to tear your opponents apart, but also you can't avoid the combat entirely - however you are able to fight in such a way to neutralize your enemies without killing them and finish the game this way.

About lifepaths

Interviewer: So how much of an impact the choice of our character upbringing have on the story - is it just a window dressing and some additional dialogue options or does it also opens up an alternate paths?
Paweł: When you choose your lifepath, as a player you define who you are. As designers, we need to be aware of that throughout the entire experience. At the start of the game you will have a completely different quest, start your adventure in a different place and meet Jackie in a different circumstances.

At some point the story narrows down a bit, then depending on your backstory you will get an access to a quests, which you wouldn't get with different lifepath and that's the first difference. The second one is that you have a certain options during the quests, which are unique to your lifepath. I don't know who you were playing as...

I: Corpo.

Oh! When you talked to Meredith Stout, have you tried using your lifepath related dialogue options?

I: Yes, I noticed there was an additional option there.

And who did you met in the end of your quest?

I: I told the gang about the virus.

OK, so you decided to betray Meredith. This is when your lifepath becomes the most visible, when you interact with other Corpos your knowledge allows you to choose the options unique to your lifepath. That has it's own consequences later on. That's just one example of how the additional option in a single scene can open up another branching path for the entire quest.

I: So if I chose another lifepath, I wouldn't be able to make the quest play out this way?

That's right. You encountered people from the Corp, so your Corpo knowledge made a difference, but I can tell you that Nomad has an access to something that Corpo does not. As a Nomad, you would be able to obtain the convoy's signatures, since Nomads specialize in robbing those - since they themselves live in convoys, travelling with their cars and bikes. As a Nomad you know how to steal the convoy signatures and then you can use that information to trigger another path.

As a designers we are always looking for a ways to provide the player with roleplaying options. Those different possibilities don't give you a completely different ending, but by sticking to this particular lifepath, as a Nomad you will be dealing with people like you.

It's the same for the other lifepaths - they all have their own, custom epilogues. What's important, is that you can change your path. As a Street Kid or Corpo you can start working with Nomads, play through the game this way and end the game as a Nomad - but if you start the game as a Nomad and then end the game as a Nomad, you will receive an additional paths and parts of the story. It shows that there is many layers to that.

About whether they were forced to make some changes to in-game content based on the recent events in USA

It's important to note ithat we have a fully recorded game, for a long time now, in fact. It's the final stage of development, during which we don't make any changes to the story we are telling, we don't add anything to it, we don't remove anything from it. Those events, as you said, took place very recently.

The second thing is that Cyberpunk and The Witcher are the games which represent our studio philosophy. The game we are working on, while still being a form of entertainment, for us is also a piece of art - it's our vision. It's hard to imagine any event that would make us change something or move something around just to avoid touching on certain subjects.

Anyway you probably already saw in the game some parts that touch upon those subjects, so you were able to see that for yourself. For me it's important to deliver the complete piece of work, the way we intended, and it's not a political statement or claim.

As a studio, we are an amalgamation of people with a different views on politics, religion, spiritual life, existential matters, also when it comes to sexual orientations or political beliefs. As a studio we are always aiming to cultivate our openness by allowing anyone to voice their own opinion and to represent all sorts of views, as long as it's within the boundaries of law and reason - so anyone could find something for themselves and find the answers for their own questions.

For me and my team the game is a piece of art and I stand by that, that's what I always say to my designers. I don't feel like I'm making a product, but rather like if I was painting a picture or compose a music, create stories, movies. For me that's art and the art are the stories we are telling to our players and that's the most important thing to me.

Last edited:
"Those subplots allow us to do something that we have never done before, they change the main plot of the game and they are doing that in such a way that you may not even finish the main plot, but still finish the game and get a completely different epilogue then the player with a different Lifepath who made different choices, met different characters and formed relationships with them."

Wow. If I'm reading this right, it means there isn't really a canon end game? That you can 'miss' the main ending?

"Those subplots allow us to do something that we have never done before, they change the main plot of the game and they are doing that in such a way that you may not even finish the main plot, but still finish the game and get a completely different epilogue then the player with a different Lifepath who made different choices, met different characters and formed relationships with them."

Wow. If I'm reading this right, it means there isn't really a canon end game? That you can 'miss' the main ending?

This is indeed very good news.

I've been pushing for ways to "finish" the game outside the "critical path" for some time, and it seems - depending on what that comment actually refers to - that at least in this regard there's been somewhat likeminded people among CDPR designers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom