Thoughts on influencers/youtubers being NPCs in the game

+

Are you OK with having youtubers in the game as NPCs and having quests tied to them?

• Yes.

• No.

• Should be smaller easter egg like the farting trolls in Witcher 3.

• Don't care.

Results are only viewable after voting.
But that's the trick. An actor who is good should be able to inhabit the role so you don't see them as the person, but as that character. It's how TV and film works. So this should be no different, for a professional. But these other people are far from professional actors.

I won't deny the acting talents of professionals. My point of contention is to have a cartoon version of a real life person there in the game; it's not Keanu acting there. If the game was a similiar case as with those late 90's games where real actors were actualy shot doing the acting (Harverster, Ripper, Phantasmagoria....), no problem. But that's not the case here. It distracts the experience in a somewhat similiar fashion as if breaking the fourth wall without it being an intended joke.

I won't deny the acting talents of professionals. My point of contention is to have a cartoon version of a real life person there in the game; it's not Keanu acting there. If the game was a similiar case as with those late 90's games where real actors were actualy shot doing the acting (Harverster, Ripper, Phantasmagoria....), no problem. But that's not the case here. It distracts the experience in a somewhat similiar fashion as if breaking the fourth wall without it being an intended joke.

I don't understand this at all. How is he not doing the acting? This isn't new, it's being used more often. I also don't understand why you refer to it as a cartoon. It's a stylised version that fits with the rest of the game. And he fully acted, he did mo cap and face capture.

And to be frank you're judging it all on the what seconds? Of footage we have of him in the game.

This doesn't feel different to me from things like
Martin Sheen in Mass Effect

Mark Hamill in Squadron 42

Shawn Ashmore in Man of Medan

Norman Reedus in Death Stranding

I don't understand this at all. How is he not doing the acting? This isn't new, it's being used more often. I also don't understand why you refer to it as a cartoon. It's a stylised version that fits with the rest of the game. And he fully acted, he did mo cap and face capture.

And to be frank you're judging it all on the what seconds? Of footage we have of him in the game.

This doesn't feel different to me from things like
Martin Sheen in Mass Effect

Mark Hamill in Squadron 42

Shawn Ashmore in Man of Medan

Norman Reedus in Death Stranding

What's your point?
That youtubers will not be cameo but fully fledged characters integrated just as much in the game lore as any of your other examples, and that they're acting will be on par with professionals?

I also don't understand why you refer to it as a cartoon.

Because that's what it is in terms of presentation. There's no live acting there.

I haven't played the games you mentioned (the first Mass effect was the only one in that series I played and the rest are just...not my kind of games). But it's the same there too. Cameo roles of celebrities (or pseudo-celebrities in the case of toobers)... I don't like at all. Like I said, it feels the same as if breaking the fourth wall by reminding me that we have this or that person from IRL making an appearance, it breaks the illusion of the percieved fantasy the game and its fiction is trying to portray. (It's not a movie and isn't supposed to be approached at as one...)

If that's true I also dislike that. Youtubers get enough recognition, I don't need to be taking quests from Pewdiepie in Night City. lol

Unless, Filthy Frank was like, a homeless man who was shouting stuff in an alley. That would be fun to see.

What's your point?
That youtubers will not be cameo but fully fledged characters integrated just as much in the game lore as any of your other examples, and that they're acting will be on par with professionals?
No, this was all about Keanu being there and seemingly ruining immersion. When the same techniques have and are being used for many different titles. And I personally don't feel that their (professional actors) presences ruins immersion.

I haven't played the games you mentioned (the first Mass effect was the only one in that series I played and the rest are just...not my kind of games). But it's the same there too. Cameo roles of celebrities (or pseudo-celebrities in the case of toobers)... I don't like at all. Like I said, it feels the same as if breaking the fourth wall by reminding me that we have this or that person from IRL making an appearance, it breaks the illusion of the percieved fantasy the game and its fiction is trying to portray. (It's not a movie and isn't supposed to be approached at as one...)

Honestly, I think that's something you have to find a way to deal with. I've played 2 of those titles and very quickly I forgot about the actor and was paying attention to the character. And that's how it should be. And if he only shows up in cutscenes it should certainly be considered as a movie, as it's simply a passive experience. But if that's how you honestly feel I can't help in that matter.

In the end I remain not a fan of youtubers being in there. Regardless how fleshed out their character is. I think there is better ways to have easter eggs or nods to certain people. Than literally putting them in the game.

Knowing nothing about Death Stranding the first time I saw it, i thought it was an extension of the zombie apocalypse TV show, like a side quest or something. I also had a hard time disengaging that persona from the new character. Its cool how life like the render is, but for me, it detracted from the game. I dont want to play a game because an A list actor is in it. I want to play it for the story, gameplay, controls, for a start.
If the plan is to have a "randomly generated" likeness of them walking around like every other NPC, It's slightly better but still only less bad, but if they are named, we better be able to kill them, by de-orbiting a satellite into them, or Trauma Team them similar to how people used to get swatted. I don't know what any of the listed youtubers look like, and i'd rather not know, so I don't notice if I run into them. I really hope by 2077, everyone will have realized how useless "influencers" really are, and will have dropped them.
Post automatically merged:

Oh, no doubt. I have no impact on how things are done.
I simply dislike it.
Though, if enough people dislike it, you may have an impact on how things are done. So, it may help also.
Also, as long as they make modding easy, or someone does, I don't care as much. There Their models can be swapped out. Lets call it, the Hot Soycaf mod, in honor of R* :D :D
EDIT: Wrong Their

I don't mind it for actors or developers. The latter because the content wouldn't exist without them. Giving them a bit of a shoutout in some form, easter eggs, names, looks, whatever, doesn't strike me as unfair. The former for aesthetic reasons in many cases.

I also believe there may be logical, technical reasons for using actors. I'm not well informed on the details there so I'd rather not comment on them.

Youtubers, game reviewers and "influencers" is another matter. These people exist (or should) to provide objective information on a given title. As is the case with many things, once benefits start exchanging hands there this objectivity often goes out the window with it. I don't like the precedent it sets. Whether I recognize these people in the game or not....

As things currently stand it's hard enough formulating a reliable opinion on new video games, movies, TV, hardware, any product really. There is too much BS and biased info floating around. It even has a solid presence in trying to find this information in the first place. Search engine optimization shenanigans and all that....

Bear in mind that influencers can be a source of hate too and can be thin-skinned. 100k followers doesn't mean free advertisement.

The Illusive Man from Mass Effect 2 was brilliant. I actually thought he was a great villain who had great motivations but wasnt afraid to make sacrifices

There's no live acting there.

I haven't played the games you mentioned (the first Mass effect was the only one in that series I played and the rest are just...not my kind of games). But it's the same there too.
wait, maybe I got it wrong, but if you're saying that actors in death strandings were not live acting (well, mocap of course) then you're wrong. 100% filmed. Same for the last god of war or uncharted and TLOU series, even though in these cases characters didn't have the actors' appearances, they were still playing the scenes.

Top Bottom