Melee Combat Need IMPROVEMENT!

+
CDPR is not trying for this level of fidelity during the fight demonstrated. It was pretty basic and fairly disconnected. Perhaps this will change later.

They can't do a fantastic job of everything, but the melee combat was one of the weakest points in that demo. Probably the weakest.
emphasis mine.
i think there's already been a fair amount of evidence in the demos and in the descriptions of the progression of the combat mechanics to determine that the complexity of unarmed melee combat does change as you invest in those skills.

i'm not saying it wasn't weak. but i don't think it was weak because CDPR are lazy and bad at the mechanics and animations of unarmed melee combat (which is a too-prevalent sentiment across all discussions of the footage across forums, youtube, social media, etc)

emphasis mine.
i think there's already been a fair amount of evidence in the demos and in the descriptions of the progression of the combat mechanics to determine that the complexity of unarmed melee combat does change as you invest in those skills.

Ah, we haven't seen that evidence. CDPR has mentioned it, as I recall in reference to shooting and animations, but we haven't seen the results yet.

Those were striking and blocking animations. Maybe they were those of an unskilled user, maybe not. For one thing, an unskilled user just defeated 2 people. Having tried this myself, har har. Perhaps that is a balance issue, though, and not a reflection of a skilled combatant. Another factor however is that while the sword techniques in Witcher 3 changed and improved, hand to hand stayed the same.

I'd say there's a fairly good chance you saw a fairly representative example of the combat animations in that fight. You might get more moves later, but there's no evidence the overall feel of the melee will get better yet.

Even a complete unknown to full contact has more, hrm, "life" to their moves than I saw.

Just rewatched it for the umpteenth time. It's far from terrible, but it sure does look awkward. I like that the hands are open, nice touch, keeps the head protected..unlike his opponents, who like hearty haymakers and hooking...air?

There's a particularly bad front kick about 2/3 of the way through the fight, from green shirt. Looks...just not great. Kind of amusing though. Is he trying to front snap your jaw?

I mean, these two -are- terrible. They don't double-team. They don't split to sides. They don't control the ground. They drop their guard a depressing amount of times. They don't cover up. They don't follow up. They don't seem to know how to beat a guard or even try body shots. One guy starts with what looks like an actual Superman-punch!

On the other hand, BOY can everyone take a beating! Like 80s TV series beatings! That's a lot of full-power blows to the head!

The fight is just...plastic is all. The animations, the feel, the moves. First person melee on a 2d surface is tough to do, sure, but I hope CDPR tightens up the hand to hand. I don't think this is a character skill level thing, I think it's unpolished gameplay.

i'm not saying it wasn't weak. but i don't think it was weak because CDPR are lazy and bad at the mechanics and animations of unarmed melee combat (which is a too-prevalent sentiment across all discussions of the footage across forums, youtube, social media, etc)

Not just unarmed actually.
Katana is lame too. Even more in my case as I practiced Kenjutsu and Iaido, and everything feels wrong and scream lacks of efforts as sometimes those problems can be really easely solved by systems which are probably already in the game.

Not just unarmed actually.
Katana is lame too. Even more in my case as I practiced Kenjutsu and Iaido, and everything feels wrong and scream lacks of efforts as sometimes those problems can be really easely solved by systems which are probably already in the game.

That twin fight is a whole other level though....

As Sard said above, I suspect and hope this is one of the areas they're still putting a large dose of polishing into. It needs some love.

I don't think so, Katana melee is really that horrible.
Nothing is done right in it.

No big deal. It's reasonable to disagree there. I just see the first punch thrown by the guy in the grey shirt in the twins footage and cringe..... The katana stuff is cringe worthy as well but... that punch... Heh. If a person wants see how quickly a confrontation can go south try and hit someone that way....

Well, seeing V trying to hack things with the Katana let me think ennemies could protect themselves with they bare arms unless the Katana is at science fiction level of sharpness.

Ah, we haven't seen that evidence. CDPR has mentioned it, as I recall in reference to shooting and animations, but we haven't seen the results yet.

Those were striking and blocking animations. Maybe they were those of an unskilled user, maybe not. For one thing, an unskilled user just defeated 2 people. Having tried this myself, har har. Perhaps that is a balance issue, though, and not a reflection of a skilled combatant. Another factor however is that while the sword techniques in Witcher 3 changed and improved, hand to hand stayed the same.

I'd say there's a fairly good chance you saw a fairly representative example of the combat animations in that fight. You might get more moves later, but there's no evidence the overall feel of the melee will get better yet.

Even a complete unknown to full contact has more, hrm, "life" to their moves than I saw.

Just rewatched it for the umpteenth time. It's far from terrible, but it sure does look awkward. I like that the hands are open, nice touch, keeps the head protected..unlike his opponents, who like hearty haymakers and hooking...air?

There's a particularly bad front kick about 2/3 of the way through the fight, from green shirt. Looks...just not great. Kind of amusing though. Is he trying to front snap your jaw?

I mean, these two -are- terrible. They don't double-team. They don't split to sides. They don't control the ground. They drop their guard a depressing amount of times. They don't cover up. They don't follow up. They don't seem to know how to beat a guard or even try body shots. One guy starts with what looks like an actual Superman-punch!

On the other hand, BOY can everyone take a beating! Like 80s TV series beatings! That's a lot of full-power blows to the head!

The fight is just...plastic is all. The animations, the feel, the moves. First person melee on a 2d surface is tough to do, sure, but I hope CDPR tightens up the hand to hand. I don't think this is a character skill level thing, I think it's unpolished gameplay.
The worst of all is the reaction of the AI for me and the visual feedback, 10 punches and still a clean face LOL. Really hope They work on that I love melee in games.

Melee looked okay to me
I dont expect fighting to be similar to some games that are refined as fighting games like UFC etc.

This is the moment when everyone's expectations need to be managed. It's a huge world with emphasis on dialogue and story telling. It's not going to be the greatest and most realistic game ever and that's fine. Every game has its strong points and weak points. As of right now we have barely seen enough to make an optimal judgement and we haven't seen anything of the later game once your character has learned some new moves and ulitizes some of the cyberware. We only got a small snippet of it in the 2019 video.

Just let the game come out and then judge based on reviews. You should rather be grateful they even have an option to melee.

About the gameplay scene of the twins fight was really bad.

-Most of attacks gooing out of sync, unnatural and unrealistic.

-There's NO visual feedback at all, faces are still clean after some punches maybe add black eye and blood dripin.

-The reactions were very slow, sometimes had no reaction at all, they didn't even are attacking at the same time (one of the twins looks lost while the other one is attacking) feels really weird and bad animation.

I know the game is a RPG I don't expect to be perfect and they are still working in the game but for a realistic game it seems pretty bad. I really hope they fix/improve this so the game can be a huge success because it has a lot of potential to be.

Huge fan of cyberpunk!

So what did you guys think of this agree, disagree ?
Thanks!

I'm wondering how V's variable movement speed will affect a melee build, or if the base speed can be upgraded. As it is in the demo, V moves quite slow compared to other FPS games. And there's a gradual increase in speed from motionless to full walking. This is common in TP games but the vast majority of FP games eliminate it or drastically reduce it.

Melee looked okay to me
I dont expect fighting to be similar to some games that are refined as fighting games like UFC etc.

This is the moment when everyone's expectations need to be managed. It's a huge world with emphasis on dialogue and story telling. It's not going to be the greatest and most realistic game ever and that's fine. Every game has its strong points and weak points. As of right now we have barely seen enough to make an optimal judgement and we haven't seen anything of the later game once your character has learned some new moves and ulitizes some of the cyberware. We only got a small snippet of it in the 2019 video.

Just let the game come out and then judge based on reviews. You should rather be grateful they even have an option to melee.
No one here expect to be like UFC!! We just want something better than we saw it because really seems to be poor in the game. Specially the reaction of the NPC to get better,
people even like to defend the weak part of the game, we are criticizing precisely to improve.
"You should rather be grateful they even have an option to melee" what a sad declaration kind of person who accepts anything without complaining lol.

I think it's worth noting that the melee still looks -fun-, just it could be better. And not MMA-game better, but certainly more in line with better animations, better visual and audio feedback, more a sense of being in a fight as opposed to pressing Q to punch a lot.

There is a solid argument also to leave out weaker features. CDPR has done this if they thought they weren't up to snuff, melee could go the same way.

I would not have missed it at all in Witcher 3, for example.

I'll enjoy what they have, but whenever you have an obviously inferior part of an excellent product, it does stick out more than it would in a mediocre product. How it goes.

I think it's worth noting that the melee still looks -fun-, just it could be better. And not MMA-game better, but certainly more in line with better animations, better visual and audio feedback, more a sense of being in a fight as opposed to pressing Q to punch a lot.

There is a solid argument also to leave out weaker features. CDPR has done this if they thought they weren't up to snuff, melee could go the same way.

I'll enjoy what they have, but whenever you have an obviously inferior part of an excellent product, it does stick out more than it would in a mediocre product. How it goes.
Damn I hadn't even thought of this, but it's a good point. Once they confirmed FP, I'm sure enthusiasm for a developed melee system dwindled with most fans anyway. It did for me, since it's so hard to do in that viewpoint and is at best a tertiary mechanic in FP shooters. I'd honestly be ok with some stylish and impactul strikes using the butt-end of the weapon when in close quarters and just scrapping everything else. Focus all the effort on improved gunplay.

They did say all who love Melee can play like that, so i hope they fix melee combat a lot, melee is big part of CP2020 combat.
They have penty time to improve the combat system thou lol talking about the gunplay I liked the only think that concerned me was the melee.
Post automatically merged:

I am hyped for the game really love the city art, the weapons part I found very good because we are talking about a logical RPG that we do not expect anything like a COD but for me it is very good at least what I saw in the gameplay I liked the gunplay

But the part of hand-to-hand combat that is something I like in a game I really expected more and many people also nobody wants something at the UFC level but we expect a significant improvement mainly in the visual feedback part where.

I already said more I repeat the guy takes 10 punches in the face and continues with the face as if nothing had happened. They postponed yet again to fix many things I hope this is one of the things.

Last edited:
I already said more I repeat the guy takes 10 punches in the face and continues with the face as if nothing had happened. They postponed yet again to fix many things I hope this is one of the things.

They..had...skinweave? And...cybereyes? Aaaaand..some kind of cybergums? I don't know. Maybe V was punching them very very delicately. Like, more of a massage. Less burst-blood-vessels and more relaxing-facial kind of thing. Yep. Probably it.

Yeah. He was caressing their faces with his fists like a gentle lover.

On a more serious note... It would be neat if signs of violence gathered and stuck with the NPC's. Wizardry 8 did that already in 2001.

It'd also help tell approximately at what condition the enemies are if you happen to play without HUD elements and there're no number pop-ups or healthbars.

Top Bottom