The Witcher Enhanced Edition rescheduled

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Letter to talented developers,It is not so disastrous, I believe, that the “advanced edition” will be delayed and that the local fora are more or less being deserted. I really enjoyed this game and intend to buy its “sequel” when it comes out, even if we have to wait several years. The improvements made on the “advanced edition” could have been kept for this “sequel”: it’s a bit of a waste, from a commercial point of view, to apply them to the same contents, especially a year after the game came out. We could have waited again for a year !You corrected little flaws which didn’t spoil at all our pleasure in the game. The intent was laudable…Yet maintaining a community around a game thanks to “module editors?” is another story. Two remarks : - on one hand we have a game which is universally liked but for which the “editor” is so difficult to use that there is only one project (SOD) going on,- on the other hand we have a game like Oblivion (to speak of a game I know) which is very criticized, and with good reasons, but for which the editor “TESCS” have allowed numerous “complete mods" done or on going,Is it the game or the “editor” that gives more room to player’s imagination ?Having, right from the start of the game, an impish character with a charismatic personality is indeed an advantage, though this is not so much what we expect for a role-game. Indeed many posts ask for a mod which would allow to play with another character present in the game.Also, the parts of the map which are not accessible do limit the sensation of freedom for the player, even if accessible ones are very well rendered.This lack of freedom is not compensated by the miscellaneous choices given to the player during the game, as in any case they are all predetermined by the developers. The possibility to go north or south, to define one's own character, all this independantly from the scenario, but merging with it, would result in always renewed coktails. The Witcher player community does not lack imagination; the problem is rather the "closed" type of game and the djinni's complexity which is probably not so simple even for the developers.

This company keeps astounding me with it's drive for perfection, it's advanced gameplay and storyline, and it's complete lack of greed. Other companies that we all know would charge extra for the new enhancements. Not CD Projekt RED. You have to admire a company in this day and age - a time awash with mediocrity - actually wanting to improve - no... perfect - an already stunningly original game by actually listening and acting on feedback in the trades, and (most unbelievably) from it's fan base! This is unheard of behavior and speaks volumes about the good people and corporate culture of CD Projekt RED. Keep up the excellent work.

sorry, but i have to disagree. the game needs to be perfected so i can actually understand what's going on with the dialogue. this game is VERY noticably rushed. [size=20pt]so, this is what i ask of the game makers:if in the future your boss should tell you to hurry up or to release the game before it's done, please tell your boss to take that idea and shove it back up his a** where it came from.[/size]this sort of crap is going to kill pc gaming. people want GAMES! not BUGS!when i'm fist fighting someone i should be able to actually attack them, like i am able to do with my sword. as to why i can't, i know not. waving at olaf is not hitting olaf.the dialogue should be coherent. i would prefer mispelling to this crap. the dialogue is the whole point in playing the damned game after all.when i press a button for magic, magic should be cast.it's a game! games should be playable and SMOOTHLY so.[MOD]Don't shout that much ;)

METREONFUTURE said:
sorry, but i have to disagree. the game needs to be perfected so i can actually understand what's going on with the dialogue. this game is VERY noticably rushed. so, this is what i ask of the game makers:if in the future your boss should tell you to hurry up or to release the game before it's done, please tell your boss to take that idea and shove it back up his ass where it came from.
Goodness! I wanted some backup from my comments about wanting them to hurry up with the changes, but this person is more impatient then I am - and I did not think that was possible - until now :DHowever, in the developers defense, I too am a programmer and I have to sacrifice quality A LOT and I cannot tell my boss to stick it up his "bottom" as I have a mortgage to pay, wife to keep happy and kids to feed and clothe.Regardless, WHEN ARE THE CHANGES COMING! :wall:

am i reading this correctly... it will be release on a single master cd that include all language version? meaning it's uncesored right? is there a US release?sorry... i'm not reading post lately so i'm kinda less on the information part... ;D

The Witcher - Enhanced Edition Delayed til August/SeptemberActionTrip posts a link to Worthplaying, which in turn quotes (what looks like) a Polish site, GRRR.pl to the effect that release of the Enhanced Edition of CDProjekt's The Witcher has been pushed back to August/September. A console edition for XBox 360 has also been confirmed. Here is the WP snip: 'The Witcher Enhanced Edition' Coming Aug/Sept., Console Edition Confirmed Posted on Monday, May 05 @ 02:30:45 PDT The Witcher Enhanced Edition, CD Projekt's action/RPG, adds changes to the game's mechanics, better graphics, shorter load times, improved stability, the recently released D'jinni mod editor, two new adventures, making of DVD, two soundtracks, etc. Originally scheduled for May 16th, it has been delayed until Aug/Sept., the previously revealed console version is making good progress according to product manager Maciej Sachmacinski, but still too far off to pin down a release date.No word as yet as I post this from the official English language site.http://rpgwatch.com/#8888

Greetings,Additional 50 new NPC models is, of course, nice. I hope that you also take time to rehash Geralt a bit, then. Add different graphics to different swords for example, I mean the ones Geralt can make from meteorite ore or runes (all steel swords made from those look the same, all silver swords.. BORING!). It always annoys me to hell and back when you seemingly upgrade your equipment and yet when you finally wield or wear that new gear, it looks just as bland as the old stuff! That is so cheap. Different armor looks would be also nice, current difference between first and second armor are so minor that it's just appalling. Why does it always have to be the player community which comes up with more useful ideas? I mean, it's good that players do this kind of things but why developers go the easy way is just beyond me. The Witcher reminds me the Bard in this meaning, there you could get few upgrades and they either looked all the same, or had minor details added. I hardly believe that, say, enchanted leather armor owes all of it's better protection to just those few studs what you added to bracers. How about actually making that armor look better, more powerful, enhanced? And the final armor, sure, it does look better then previous two sets but nothing what I expected from the stories and talks of the characters in game, who said that it pretty much was like a plate mail armor yet lightweight, not restricting the movement. How about you actually make it then look like this, instead of adding few studs or dyeing it different color and adding couple more leather pads? And, mind it, armor would actually protect more of the body then just the chest, so I'd expect to actually see armor which covers WHOLE body.So please, make this game actually better then it is now, right now it feels like you cut some corners in several areas which could have made this look even nicer. So if you add 50 new NPC models, I am sure you can also work on adding more and better and "cooler" looking armors and weapons to Geralt.

Nameless-001 said:
Nameless-001 said:
Moorowind with an actual interesting and nuanced plot. I"m there.
It's a totally different game from Morrowind (and Oblivion, thanks god)..it has interesting plot, interesting dialogues, interesting "not childish" content (and i'm not talking about sexual content), a gameplay more similar to gothic, an ending that remember me Fallout :))), innovative rpg content like the "consequences of your actions delayed in terms of time", and *a lot* more ;)The edited dialogues topic refers to an enhanced version of the actual dialogues, (that were unfortunately cutted and simplified in all the foreign versions except the Polish one, thanks to recording costs badly counted and probably to some agreements with atari) and comprehend the respective new "voice overs"..anyway it's a huge and awesome work, imho..I'd buy the new edition only for that :)
Cool! You do realize you are just making it harder for me to wait for the enhanced edition don't you? Never played gothic but Moorowind was way to open ended for me though....after playing a bit of the demo I do think the heros that have had amnesia should start a baseball team though...Lets see the witcher could pitch, The nameless one (from planescape) could play shortstop...

zaldar said:
zaldar said:
zaldar said:
Moorowind with an actual interesting and nuanced plot. I"m there.
It's a totally different game from Morrowind (and Oblivion, thanks god)..it has interesting plot, interesting dialogues, interesting "not childish" content (and i'm not talking about sexual content), a gameplay more similar to gothic, an ending that remember me Fallout :))), innovative rpg content like the "consequences of your actions delayed in terms of time", and *a lot* more ;)The edited dialogues topic refers to an enhanced version of the actual dialogues, (that were unfortunately cutted and simplified in all the foreign versions except the Polish one, thanks to recording costs badly counted and probably to some agreements with atari) and comprehend the respective new "voice overs"..anyway it's a huge and awesome work, imho..I'd buy the new edition only for that :)
Cool! You do realize you are just making it harder for me to wait for the enhanced edition don't you? Never played gothic but Moorowind was way to open ended for me though....after playing a bit of the demo I do think the heros that have had amnesia should start a baseball team though...Lets see the witcher could pitch, The nameless one (from planescape) could play shortstop...
This game is just amazing, is the only game i have replay 2 times (since 199x when i play fallout 1 two times), i am in my 3rd time and is funny how i still find new stuff that i miss before.

Eh. I hate being negative, because props where props are due: The Witcher is an awesome game. Great atmosphere, one of few modern RPG's with a slightly more realistic and mature context as well as looking quite pretty on high graphical settings and being fun to play....But there is, of course, an inevitable "but".Simply put: I'm in Act IV right now, and I just can't go through it anymore. Your awesome game is almost entirely ruined for me by load times that may at times be up to 60 seconds(that's including the horrifying Autosave function which saves after any conversation you have with an NPC) everytime you change areas.Sorry, like said I abhor the usual negativity that is inevitably present on the internet, so please see it as constructive criticism. But in a game like the Witcher, especially if you've read the books and therefore know the world which you managed to bring to life wonderfully, immersion is key for quite a number of players, me included. And the constant load times just take any possible immersion away from it, leaving irritation in what is a damn beautiful product. Now, I'm a patient, calm person, but the game effectively discourages you from exploring, which is what I enjoy most in the game. The trade quarter is a prime example. In 10 minutes playtime, I've had 4 minutes load time due to constantly switching between areas for exploring/quests etc.My computer (Pentium M 2,4Ghz, 2 gb DDR2, 7900 GTX 512mb, 7200rpm hdd) isn't the best anymore by a longshot, but it's still relatively powerful to this day, and can play all new games (with the exception of Crysis maybe) with no major hickups.In short and in conclusion: I am eagerly awaiting Extended Edition so that I can enjoy and finish the game without the irrititation that prevents me from playing it at present.Anyway, that's my 2 cents. Much love to CDprojekt regardless.

I can understand why you feel frustraded TremorsAudio. I am as much frustrated as you are but you are also exaggerating things just like warc did. Without EE Witcher isn't broken and it still is a best RPG that I have played in a long time.Consider this: CdProjeckts didn't have to decide to release EE. After releasing toolset they could just release another patch or two and call it a day. It's the (quite unusual for this industry) decision to release EE that raised expectation. In short WE are feeling frustrated about something which we didn't previously have a reason to expect in the first place!I am prepared to wait but only on the understanding that, while release schedual might have been changed, the promise that EE will be free for registered game owners will not.

I am assuming this might have been answered already, but they mention a delay in the retail product. Is it really going to affect the free download for current owners as well?Just curious.

AlteredSoul said:
I am assuming this might have been answered already, but they mention a delay in the retail product. Is it really going to affect the free download for current owners as well?Just curious.
Of course. And also take into consideration that they have delayed the enhanced version *again* probably thanks to the fucking console version (see other news)..I will just quote myself from another forum:
Yes..they're committed to the project: the x360 project...and that's exactly why this is taking so long :roll: Two weeks ago I said something about buying the witcher *again* in the form of the enhanced version to support the good work of the developers (especially in terms of the "new gen" RPGs, where Oblivion shouldn't be taken into consideration)..well, I just changed my mind. It's pretty sure an eventual sequel will be dumbed down and you know it..We will probably even have an "exclusive" console release and than a PC version..wtf: one-two millions of copies sold wasn't enough? :?

Why does going to a console version immediately receive negative responses? CDProjekt is one of the first companies in quite a while to launch a rather polished game regardless of the issues some people have had. If it was a broken piece of crap, it wouldn't have sold over a million copies (just an educated guess, I know it was at least 600,000 copies a few months ago). It would've sold maybe 100,000 or less, and then negative word would've spread around to the rest. Not to mention game magazines would've torn it apart. Which is what has happened to many broken pieces of crap in the past. Most of the time, the errors with the game have been either a system that couldn't efficiently run the game, a problem with the hardware, a software issue, or a lack of proper system maintenance. I'm running this on a laptop with a Core 2 Duo 1.8, a nVidia Quadro 1600M (which isn't even a graphics card for games, and it's the mobile version) and 1GB of memory and this works spotless. So that is saying quite a bit. Anyone that says any piece of software installed on Microsoft Windows should work immediately is just ignorant of the fact that Windows, especially Vista, does not work properly and major hardware companies have proven that point quite plainly. Should it work every time? Yes. Is that reality though? No. And folks need to understand sometimes it's out of the developers hands when your drivers for the graphics card aren't compatible with Windows, and a game doesn't function because of it. And the many other issues PCs can impose on gaming that need to be taken into account outside of the code in a game.If you try and compare every other game development studio to CDProjekt in terms of "well they made console ports of their games and it was crap" or "companies will just port console games over to PC in the future which will then be crap" then you don't understand CDProjekt because I have yet to see *any* company do an enhanced edition of their own game. Typically a company does a few patches and moves on. So that shows beyond a shadow of doubt a dedicated game development studio that cares about the player base. Frankly the game is great the way it is so you're effectively getting an expansion pack for free (for those that insist on not checking search or asking, Enhanced Edition is free to current game owners so I don't understand the logic of arguing if you own it already as this will be a large free patch). An expansion pack that adds new voice overs, animations, models, new modules, and more. So they now put their care and dedication into a console version so people on Xbox 360 can play the game, many people who may not have a PC that can handle The Witcher, or choose to play a console. I'd consider that caring for the community. Yes it's going to make them more money, and that money will go to future games that are just as polished as The Witcher.

Has anyone asked? Will the free downloads be available to those who purchased the game via the Atari download manager?

Vaernus: Saying "Broken games don't sell", "Witcher sold" ergo "Witcher is not broken" is hardly a resounding insight into the proceedings of logical deduction.The logical fallacy aside, it's also realistically simply untrue.Look at Neverwinter Nights 2, which sold far more than the witcher by quite a large margin. When that came out, it was literally a broken piece of crap. It was so bugged, unoptimized and screwed beyond comparison that for 2 weeks even the people with super computers were restricted to 10 fps...So saying that Witcher sold a million copies as an argument for its software integrity is idiotic. As I stated before, I think the Witcher is one of the best games to come out in a long time in terms of quality, concept and plot, but I won't let my excitment and adulation for CDProjekt become fanboyish by ignoring the obvious flaws in the product (Crashes, glitches, optimization).

What the hell is it with this word "BROKEN!!"?Its a game that was released with a couple of bugs that affected a few of its customers, some inconvenient aspects, and a few poor choices of interface design. Aside from that, its a perfectly functional game!A city whose trains occasionally arrive late isn't a BROKEN city, its a perfectly normal city with a slightly inconvenient transport service.Now normally, I'd say "take it or bleedin' well leave it", but in this particular case, the developers have done a most wonderful thing. They've said they'll re-write whole swathes of the game to bring it up to a better level of polish... and better than that, they've said they'll release these improvements free to anyone who already owns the game.Now given that this is practically unheard of in the games industry, what on earth are you all ranting about?!Personally I'm quite happy to wait, and I'm very impressed by CDProjekt's commitment to their customers.

Well , THey think it needs to be fixed . If they released a fixed version and didn't giveit for free to those that paid for it we would be angry.What annoys me is this lack of forthright information . We still havn't heard a word on this " official " site about a posponement. But they are apparently talking to others.What happened to the download will be available to customers that purchased the original April 14 ? You would think they would try to inform their loyal fans first. And what are these localization issues that are supposed to take a few days that turn into 3 or 4 months over and over again? How can the day that it should be released come and them not realise that they are 3 months behind schedule? If they wait they will be in direct competition with fall out 3 , is that wise? I stopped playing when I heard about the EE , now I wonder if I'll even be interested when it finally comes out .I must agree with tremorsaudio their customer relations is terrible.Only in the game industry is "bait and switch" and constant broken promises acceptable standard practice. It is kind of funny that they get everyone hyped about the EE but deliver duel mail is it not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom