Let's talk about Coup De Grace

+
Personally, I think this card, while somewhat niche is absolutely fantastic.

It has a high provision cost but imo, it equals out due to it's general utility.

Let's go over the targets it can trigger

Joachim (summon top non disloyal unit give it +8)
Cantarella (play top opponent's card)
Villem (play random gold card from deck)
Roderick (look at 2 random golds, play 1)
Duchess (create a bronze enemy unit)
Emissary (boost ally by 6)
Infiltrator (damage enemies on either side by 3)
Anything that Mage Torturer or Fergus tags

Sure there's rot tosser but that's not worth mentioning for super fringe scenarios.

So imo we can basically discount Villem and Duchess becaause both are fairly weak spies because there's better alternatives or because they're highly situational.

Joachim is a fantastic target, giving you a big point swing
Cantarella can be amazing, or terrible. Depends
Roderick is another great target
Emissary is a not bad but not ideal target
Infiltrator is a good to great target, only second to Joachim and Roderick

So all in all, the card ranges from great control to card stealing to power plays+deck thinning

Never mind the potential applications if you run Torturer and/or Fergus.

You essentially take a at maximum, 4 point deficit to get a great range of utility and can easily go plus with the right play.

Guest 4368268

I agree it's a fantastic card.. but, I'd prefer it not to be an echo card.
I like to use it in longer rounds with the proper spy/assimilate set-up on board, as that's what really gives the card value.
Playing two long and engine based rounds is rather rare though, making coup de grace awkward. That's my experience at least. I'd prefer it to be single-use and go down a provision. I feel the same about Ard Gaeth for Monsters.
Maybe they should make Yennefer Invocation the NG echo card.

Just kidding.

I agree it's a fantastic card.. but, I'd prefer it not to be an echo card.
I like to use it in longer rounds with the proper spy/assimilate set-up on board, as that's what really gives the card value.
Playing two long and engine based rounds is rather rare though, making coup de grace awkward. That's my experience at least. I'd prefer it to be single-use and go down a provision. I feel the same about Ard Gaeth for Monsters.
Maybe they should make Yennefer Invocation the NG echo card.

Just kidding.

It's okay in longer ones too, just save up your cards a little. For example, round 1, use it on Roderick or Joachim but never use Roderick+Joachim in that combo turn 1 since then ideally, you'd use it round 2 or 3 to do a Joachim combo.

Same deal with bronze spies. I've won games off of Infiltrator being triggered to control swarm that way turn 1 and just overpower turn 2 or 3 with sheer point efficiency+control.

Imo that's the trick to Coup, you have to plan for the war, not the battle.

You're only including NG cards that Coup can trigger. With the units that give spying status, Coup can replay any unit as long as it has spying.

You're only including NG cards that Coup can trigger. With the units that give spying status, Coup can replay any unit as long as it has spying.

Yeah but then you have to run cards that give spying lol. I mean Torturer isn't the worst card but there's better out there for the provision.

In any case, you're right. Coup works on any spying target.

Yeah but then you have to run cards that give spying lol. I mean Torturer isn't the worst card but there's better out there for the provision.

In any case, you're right. Coup works on any spying target.

coup is basically "play joachhim again"

Top Bottom