Grinding in GWENT is easier when...

+
...there's a game mode which makes the grinding* not suck so much.

I found the previous Seasonal mode did that. I.e. the one where your Special card got deployed twice.

The new Factional Challenge or whatever you call it has been a tedious grind. The new expansion cards aren't that interesting and my faction, Mon, is just a losing proposition. At least with the previous Seasonal challenge I could get a run or wins or at least some wins.

Since I found out that you can lose Ranking mosaic pieces and progress if you didn't keep grinding, I haven't really played that at all since the Journey mode made me grind in Seasonal mode for ages.

I'd like that previous Seasonal challenge to become permanent! Or is that just me?

* Edit in: By "grinding" I mean playing GWENT for pretty much the only reason that I play it: getting things that I want from the Reward book, like gold, which I use to buy barrels, to craft cards that I don't have yet (since I can rely on having pretty much only copies of cards, which I then mill to get enough shards to craft a card that I don't have yet). I've posted here in the past how the matchmaking system is horrible as more often than not I go up against decks which just hammer me, game after game. The game forces you to grind for this purpose as you have to gamble actual money in order to have a small chance at obtaining cards that you don't have yet. It's a really slow process that way, by design. It's because the process is so slow that I find playing the game a grind. I don't find a great deal of pleasure in playing the game for any other reason.

It would be an improvement in the game if you could use gold to get actual cards that you want. E.g. instead of paying 100 gold for a barrel of some sort, how about 100 gold for a card that you want? Maybe 150 gold might be more 'reasonable' from the point of view of CDR?

Last edited:

DRK3

Forum veteran
Next Seasonal mode will be Draconid, and if hopefully, the devs dont ruin it by changing, it will be 8second turns.

Its the best for grinding and levelling up quickly, with matches lasting like a quarter of the time of an average regular match... Not to mention its really fun, and you get used to the time pressure.

Next Seasonal mode will be Draconid, and if hopefully, the devs dont ruin it by changing, it will be 8second turns.

Its the best for grinding and levelling up quickly, with matches lasting like a quarter of the time of an average regular match... Not to mention its really fun, and you get used to the time pressure.
Yeah, the Draconid seasonal is definitely something I'm looking forward to. August will see a massive spike in my activity, most likely. :D

I hope they will at least speed up the animations. :beer:

And now we can play a Leader ability with any faction/neutral Leader skin. Which leader animation is the fastest? I can remember, some Leader abilities were unplayable because of the slow animation. Now we can choose a faster Leader "skin" :smart::beer:

Last edited:
Use Lockdown and whatever skin you want. 0 milliseconds for Leader ability animation because there isn't one. :smart:

...there's a game mode which makes the grinding not suck so much.

I found the previous Seasonal mode did that. I.e. the one where your Special card got deployed twice.

The new Factional Challenge or whatever you call it has been a tedious grind. The new expansion cards aren't that interesting and my faction, Mon, is just a losing proposition. At least with the previous Seasonal challenge I could get a run or wins or at least some wins.

Since I found out that you can lose Ranking mosaic pieces and progress if you didn't keep grinding, I haven't really played that at all since the Journey mode made me grind in Seasonal mode for ages.

I'd like that previous Seasonal challenge to become permanent! Or is that just me?
Well, you drop 2 ranks at the beginning of each season, whether you play or not. It is not about grinding.

DC9V

Forum veteran
grinding is easier when...
...you minimize input lag.

*10 steps* (pc only)
  1. disable vsync in-game
  2. update your monitor driver
  3. update your gpu driver
  4. go to your gpu control panel (in this case nvidia control panel):
    1. set your display to the highest available refresh rate, then go to 3D settings
    2. low latency mode: on
    3. vsync: disabled
    4. texture filtering quality: performance
    5. max frame rate: either uncapped or a multiple of 60 (Use 360 fps for a gtx1080ti or rtx2070)
    6. monitor technology: fixed refresh
    7. power management mode: prefer maximum performance
    8. preferred refresh rate: maximum available
    9. shader cache: "on" when using a SSD, "of" when using a HDD
  5. Windows 10 settings:
    1. disable Windows Game Bar
    2. go to advanced display settings to check if refresh rate matches the settings in your gpu control panel
  6. Windows Control Panel: Power options: Set power plan to High performance
  7. if possible, set your mouse to the highest available polling rate
  8. right click on Gwent.exe and disable fullscreen optimization
  9. restart your computer (don't click "shut down")
  10. have a cup of black tea or coffee. cheers!

Last edited:
Oh hell yeah I know that.. xd and PLEASE give me an option to toggle off sticky targeting on leader abilities! I just wanted to cast the ability ONCE then quickly chose a card but I end up using the ability more then once and losing a card from hand :/
This was an issue also driving me nuts; I raised with the technical team. As it makes iPad unplayable with certain leader abilities.

They said they were looking into it. Now whether or not they do anything, I guess we'll see in the next patch notes.

Guest 4368268

Everyone likes Draconoid season.
Why haven't we succeeded to persuade developers to make it a stand alone mode ?
Cause I suspect more people will play that than their 'standard' (ranked) mode :coolstory:
I don't see a problem with that, but they obviously want that to be the orthodox way to play

Cause I suspect more people will play that than their 'standard' (ranked) mode :coolstory:
I don't see a problem with that, but they obviously want that to be the orthodox way to play

You mean that people will actually 'play' gwent rather than watching streams/youtube instead ? What a great way to grow revenue and playerbase and overall satisfaction of this game. But oh well, doi-tele-du what do I moronic consumer know. I better like what is served or go screw myself.

I haven't liked Draconid as much as the previous one but it is very good for just getting the grinding over quickly, so long as you win a round, otherwise you're just treading water.

Any extra couple of seconds would really help as often I run out of time to direct an ability to where I want it, e.g. poison or lock etc. This season also limits what cards you can play or leader abilities. There's just not enough time to create cards etc. Me and my opponents often burn cards or waste unit abilities because the time's just 2 or 3 seconds too short.
Post automatically merged:

Well, you drop 2 ranks at the beginning of each season, whether you play or not. It is not about grinding.

I still don't like that feature of the game. I haven't played the regular mode for many weeks now as a result. I'm thinking of letting my rank just go as low as it can go, which is 25, right? If it gets there, I might have one last hurrah with this game...since I found out that to get a proper ranking you need to play 25 games with at least 4 factions. Not sure if I have the heart for that, as I think I might have reached my limit with this game. I was thinking of completing the Ciri Journey but I'm just not that into it or the Battle Rush mode.
Post automatically merged:

Since you mentioned grinding, I'll just point out that I edited in some comments on this topic in my original post and made a suggestion how to lessen that grind, at the bottom of my original message.

Last edited:
Top Bottom