Leader Ability play rates and win rates in Season of the Griffin

+

Burza46

CD PROJEKT RED
Hello!
Season of the Griffin is long gone, but we haven't forgotten about the Leader Ability play rates and win rates! Like last time we have the data sorted by rank (see image below).

Season_Of_Griffin.png

You can also download the data in .xlsx format here.

Guest 4368268

Appreciate that you guys have started releasing this.

Just imagine that SK winrate without mirror matches :')

Twice in a row an ability is #1 in all ranks. At least it's a different ability, and faction, this time.

Second Wind winrate is insane, even beyond the old Harmony.

But you will notice (as other players and I stated before) that other SK leaders abilities are also perfoming really well.

Patricidal Fury has a 57% Winrate in ranks 7-1 and 56,66% in pro rank. This is still really impressive and problematic.

Yet, the only major nerf to SK this season targeted Second Wind. Therefore, SK should still dominate this season. It was already pretty obvious without statistics, it becomes absolutely obvious with them.

Another interesting fact : once again, NG has a pretty average Winrate in high ranks. However, no matter the season, no matter the patch, this faction is always perceived as overpowered and problematic.

It confirms that the problem about NG relies elsewhere. I would say that this is essentially because NG is the most frustrating and unfair faction. It might be the sign that the faction needs a rework (not a nerf, a *rework*).

Edit : Oh, and of course, thank you for the stats. This is much appreciated.

But you will notice (as other players and I stated before) that other SK leaders abilities are also perfoming really well.

Patricidal Fury has a 57% Winrate in ranks 7-1 and 56,66% in pro rank. This is still really impressive and problematic.

Yet, the only major nerf to SK this season targeted Second Wind. Therefore, SK should still dominate this season. It was already pretty obvious without statistics, it becomes absolutely obvious with them.

Another interesting fact : once again, NG has a pretty average Winrate in high ranks. However, no matter the season, no matter the patch, this faction is always perceived as overpowered and problematic.

It confirms that the problem about NG relies elsewhere. I would say that this is essentially because NG is the most frustrating and unfair faction. It might be the sign that the faction needs a rework (not a nerf, a *rework*).

I think its important to point out that ALL SK leaders got a buff through valbjorn tutoring and berserker.

So yes, SW got nerfed, but the other decks are much better now.

rrc

Forum veteran
I really appreciate that CDPR dared to share this stat with such a nightmarish % for SK all over the top. HC was never this oppressive. Foltest was never this oppressive. DJ was never this oppressive. Harmony was never this oppressive. You guys knew all these and then decided to buff the hell out of SK by only nerfing SW. Bravo :giveup:. The bottom 10 has 3 Green and 3 Orange and you guys buffed one orange and gave a lot of buffs to Orange in general and Invigorate is in sh*te from Home Coming and it just gets the blindeye and some meaningless/useless buffs to 4P cards for ST. Kudos to the Balancing Team :giveup:.

I think its important to point out that ALL SK leaders got a buff through valbjorn tutoring and berserker.

So yes, SW got nerfed, but the other decks are much better now.

Agreed. And it should not have happened, given these statistics.

My only explanation is that CDPR prepared this patch before fully knowing these stats.

so NG managed to consistently maintain an average win rate despite a broken faction dominating the entire season? And before that they still performed well despite Hidden Cache and Mystic Echo. All you have shown is a willingness to ignore the obvious my friend.

Now that Ethereal has been nerfed and that was clearly the only thing carrying MO I guess it's just NG players and SK so be happy mate. The SK and NR nerf probably didn't do much for the other factions but it's certainly enough to give NG the nudge they needed. though I'm sure when the next stats come out you'll all have a "valid" excuse for that as well.

Last edited:
My only explanation is that CDPR prepared this patch before fully knowing these stats.
I think that's pretty much a given, considering the season ended on the same day as the patch went live.
Unless they have some kind of a live statistic tracking system, which they might for all I know.

But even then they cannot have had the full season's numbers before the patch was ready, and Skellige was also one of the three factions in the last stage of GUC so the stats may have changed significantly in the last week.

I'm probably overthinking this. :D

NG's is very close to ST's. That means this faction also needs a nerf, right?
are you even looking at the play rates? You don't analyze stats in a vacuum by isolating bits to suit a narrative mate. Check again. Anyway this is just a rehash of the same argument we see each season so cheers, have a good one :beer:

are you even looking at the play rates? You don't analyze stats in a vacuum by isolating bits to suit a narrative mate. Check again. Anyway this is just a rehash of the same argument we see each season so cheers, have a good one :beer:
Yeah I am and I don't think the win rate would drop that much more. Please, tell me how you come to the conclusion that NG is obviously op and ST isn't at all. I also don't want to ignore the obvious just like the other member any more, enlighten me :beer:

Last edited:
Quickly! Sacrificial Vanguard needs a buff! :D

Would be nice to see winrates either excluding mirrors or even broken down by matchup.
Post automatically merged:

Yeah I am and I don't think the win rate would drop that much more. Please, tell me how you come to the conclusion that NG is obviously op and ST isn't at all. I also don't want to ignore the obvious just like the other member any more, enlighten me :beer:

Without delving too deep into it, if your playrate as a leader ability (or a race) is twice as much as that of another race, you're also about twice as likely to get into a mirror, which effectively (the mirror matchup) cuts your winrate in two. How exactly it would affect overall numbers would require too much math effort I am not willing to invest for the sake of this discussion, but there would definitely be a difference.

Last edited:
I really appreciate that CDPR dared to share this stat with such a nightmarish % for SK all over the top.

That was obvious to anybody who played in that season. Still nice to see those WRs black on white.

I think this proves that there isn't much wrong with tutoar abilities - like Pincer Manouver(surprised by such low performance tbh). Maybe these will not be removed next seaons but rather more focus will be spent on cards instead?

They've received enough feedback to make changes right on the spot. But I guess better late than never?

Unless they have some kind of a live statistic tracking system, which they might for all I know.

Of course they have such tracking. Easy to setup and necessary for such complex game.

NG's is very close to ST's. That means this faction also needs a nerf, right?

You're really thinking a lot about. It's almost like you know it will happen. Poor lad xd

That was obvious to anybody who played in that season. Still nice to see those WRs black on white.

I think this proves that there isn't much wrong with tutoar abilities - like Pincer Manouver(surprised by such low performance tbh). Maybe these will not be removed next seaons but rather more focus will be spent on cards instead?

They've received enough feedback to make changes right on the spot. But I guess better late than never?

Of course they have such tracking. Easy to setup and necessary for such complex game.

You're really thinking a lot about. It's almost like you know it will happen. Poor lad xd
What?

so NG managed to consistently maintain an average win rate despite a broken faction dominating the entire season? And before that they still performed well despite Hidden Cache and Mystic Echo. All you have shown is a willingness to ignore the obvious my friend.

Now that Ethereal has been nerfed and that was clearly the only thing carrying MO I guess it's just NG players and SK so be happy mate. The SK and NR nerf probably didn't do much for the other factions but it's certainly enough to give NG the nudge they needed. though I'm sure when the next stats come out you'll all have a "valid" excuse for that as well.

It appears that you think I am some kind of NG main. You couldn't be more wrong, my friend :). NG is actually the faction I dislike the most and it was my worst nightmare during the last season. And I’m definitely not happy with this patch.

But despite my bias, I can't genuinely say that their statistics are impressive. Imperial Formation seems to be on par with Uprising in higher ranks. In pro rank, Uprising has a better Win rate and a higher Play rate.

Do you really think that according to these stats, NG should be nerfed ?

It’s right that no matter the season, NG always manages to have at least one good archetype, around 51-52%. It was also the case during open beta. But it is not as alarming as overpowered archetype like old Harmony or Warriors currently.

What I’m saying, however, is that even if NG stats are not among the best right now, it does not mean that no changes are needed.

This faction is problematic, in my books, for a lot of reasons (RNG, binary cards, and so on…). But I’m not sure that this topic is the right place to discuss it.

Oh, and moreover, Vincent is an aberration right now.

Last edited:
One of the things I wish we had was the game forfeit rate for different factions/leaders. I would be willing to bet that part of the success for NG in the data is because opponents are forfeiting early against them.

From my own experience, I know if I play NG, opponents are much more likely to forfeit early, probably by at least 2 to 1 over an SK SW deck.

I don't play NG that often (its my number 4-5 deck). The only deck I play less is SY, which is total crap in my opinion.

As much as I like CDPR, I think this spreadsheet is pretty embarrassing for them as it pretty much exemplifies that they're balancing is out of whack.

Hope they can make it better soon.

Top Bottom