Vabjorn made me lose faith. Again.

+
Now I wanna start off by saying I love Gwent, it's why I have like 1000 hrs played starting all the way back from the beta days.
This recent patch has made me realize that the devs will never learn, they simply lack the game knowledge and they refuse to listen to constructive feedback or provide a platform for players to test their ideas beforehand. There are several confusing changes with this patch like lowering the Impera Brigade provision cost while leaving Hunting Pack the same, but what amazes me the most is the Vabjorn change. Let me break this down.
This is a starter card that worked perfectly with the simple leader ability Onslaught and it's ability was completely unique and balanced, the flavor even matched. Now, in the same patch they nerfed Tyrggvi into oblivion they chose to replace the ability that was similar to it (Deal 2 damage. If the unit was already damaged, destroy it instead) with a Raid tutor. The most important Raids are already tutors themselves, making this another tutor for tutors situation, one of them even being a certain Echo card that was a main culprit of the Skellige balancing issues to begin with.
Now the flavor is gone, if there ever was a candidate for such a card it would've been Holger but nevermind that.
You might think I'm putting a lot of thought into a fairly small change, but it's a change that speaks volumes. Anyone with 200+ hrs played could've easily told them this was a bad decision, why is there no such person in the dev team?
With Homecoming I was at least hoping they wouldn't change cards entirely for no serious reason like they did in the beta where unique abilities were left by the wayside constantly. Now we're back to that stage. Your favorite card is again in risk of becoming something entirely different in a couple of months.
In the beta tutoring quickly got out of hand. Now we're again out of ideas and resort to throwing out tutors for everything. Where will this lead I wonder?
Now I know that the devs will never bother reading any of this, they never have. I'm merely venting some frustrations on the one platform I can.

Guest 4368268

Yep, it's strange that they sat around a table and said "you know what Skellige really needs..? More consistency!"
In beta I actually appreciated the Ciri Dash decks with a ton of tutors for the purpose of thinning. But when tutors play for too many points directly they're inherently unbalanced. Again, I like tutors and even tutor chains, but don't let people tutor > tutor > busted card.

It does seem incrdibly senseless to me as well. Take a perfectly good Vabjorn and turn him into a 2nd option to draw the tutor card you wanted in the first place. Its a waste 'cause you are now spending 18-19 provions to do 2 damage (Blood Eagle) and play another card that will be lower provision cost than the one you tutored it with.

if there ever was a candidate for such a card it would've been Holger but nevermind that.
I actually like the holger card, it's not seen a lot of play right now, but in future ekspansion, we may see a ship and pirate archetype being more available.

I actually like the holger card, it's not seen a lot of play right now, but in future ekspansion, we may see a ship and pirate archetype being more available.
Me too actually. I want to make it clear I'd rather none of them get changed into a tutor, I just think he would make more sense than Vabjorn of all cards. If they absolutely wanted a Raid tutor I'd much prefer they waited for another expansion and added a new card instead. I don't see any reason why this needed to be a thing at this very moment.
It's the one change I'd like a developer comment for but they completely brushed it off.

Last edited:
Now I wanna start off by saying I love Gwent, it's why I have like 1000 hrs played starting all the way back from the beta days.
This recent patch has made me realize that the devs will never learn, they simply lack the game knowledge and they refuse to listen to constructive feedback or provide a platform for players to test their ideas beforehand. There are several confusing changes with this patch like lowering the Impera Brigade provision cost while leaving Hunting Pack the same, but what amazes me the most is the Vabjorn change. Let me break this down.
This is a starter card that worked perfectly with the simple leader ability Onslaught and it's ability was completely unique and balanced, the flavor even matched. Now, in the same patch they nerfed Tyrggvi into oblivion they chose to replace the ability that was similar to it (Deal 2 damage. If the unit was already damaged, destroy it instead) with a Raid tutor. The most important Raids are already tutors themselves, making this another tutor for tutors situation, one of them even being a certain Echo card that was a main culprit of the Skellige balancing issues to begin with.
Now the flavor is gone, if there ever was a candidate for such a card it would've been Holger but nevermind that.
You might think I'm putting a lot of thought into a fairly small change, but it's a change that speaks volumes. Anyone with 200+ hrs played could've easily told them this was a bad decision, why is there no such person in the dev team?
With Homecoming I was at least hoping they wouldn't change cards entirely for no serious reason like they did in the beta where unique abilities were left by the wayside constantly. Now we're back to that stage. Your favorite card is again in risk of becoming something entirely different in a couple of months.
In the beta tutoring quickly got out of hand. Now we're again out of ideas and resort to throwing out tutors for everything. Where will this lead I wonder?
Now I know that the devs will never bother reading any of this, they never have. I'm merely venting some frustrations on the one platform I can.

Couldn't agree more. For a long time I loved to play previous NR Hubert Reik deck - it was something unique, not so popular and well balanced (I don't renember if it was ever even in tier 3) , hard to play with,but in the same time with potential to stand up aginst every other decks if You had good enougs skills and well builded deck. Yet, regardless of that, is was reworked out of blue and the princess Adda's leader ability in the same time stops to have any synergy with NR. After year of struggling with other decks I never was able to find anything in NR that I liked so much as Hubert. And that is undoubtedly one of important factor's why I am done with Gwent probably for good, after many many months and hours playing since open beta. Now I don't play at all, only peek on forum from time to time, and I just had to react for Your comment because it was so accurate. Greets

Yeah, it's pretty sad that they do not nerf SK correctly.

Let's take -1 power off of Wild Boar and lower its provision...yeah, we're done...all good now...<sigh>...

DC9V

Forum veteran
Went.jpg

Last edited:
And how would YOU nerf SK? So that to doesn't end up like harmony?

I'll leave that up to the experts that are more knowledgeable than me.

I do know that I would not have buffed Wild Boar the way they did. It did not need a provision cost lowering. That was just a bad move as the -1 power was meaningless as Wild Boar is played for the damage to a row.

DC9V

Forum veteran
I'll leave that up to the experts that are more knowledgeable than me.

I do know that I would not have buffed Wild Boar the way they did. It did not need a provision cost lowering. That was just a bad move as the -1 power was meaningless as Wild Boar is played for the damage to a row.

I think the Wild Boar "buff" doesn't really matter. It's just a wooden spoon for those that are sad about P. Fury being nerfed. The fact that more tutors are getting implemented to Gwent is more concerning, especially the combination of Vabjorn + Blood Echo + OP warrior.

Top Bottom