Why do many fans believe this game (in comparable aspects) will be inferior to GTA?

+
Now I know one is a FP RPG and the other is a 3rd person shooter non RPG. But in terms of comparable aspects like story, number of explorable interiors, NPC interactions, and in game advertisements I feel that CP2077 will raise the bar and perhaps be far better then that of GTA games.

Whenever I mention this in a website comments section I get attacked. Even at the Cyberpunk 2077 reddit I get downvoted to hell.

Is Cyberpunk 2077 fanbase really largely made up of core GTA players?

I think the reason you will get downvoted for it on the reddit is because the comments are often used as a derogatory comparison for Cyberpunk, like that one comment Gibson made when 2018 trailer was launched and or any Youtube comment on cyberpunk gameplay reveal videos. Often time people feel like it's oversimplifying things that Cyberpunk is trying to do.

Also comparing anything to a Rockstar title will always be met with high scepticism because everything they do is polished to an unbelievable degree. Specially their open world sandbox. Used to be a big Rockstar game's fan but for all the other aspects i dislike in their game, open world design isn't one of them.

So it will be a tall order for Cyberpunk to come near the quality of Rockstar's open world and how aliveTM and immersiveTM they feel. We'll see though. I don't think comparing those games in some aspects is bad, as long as people know that both companies prioritize different aspects in their game i.e. It will never be a fair 1:1 comparison.

Rockstar have enormous expeiance in sandbox games. I hope I'm wrong, but CP77 probably won't have as good shooting and driving mechanics. Rockstar mastered those in almost 20 years, it's first game with cars and guns for CDPR. As for other parts ( storytelling, skill system etc) I'm sure that CP77 will set bar very high.

Now I know one is a FP RPG and the other is a 3rd person shooter non RPG. But in terms of comparable aspects like story, number of explorable interiors, NPC interactions, and in game advertisements I feel that CP2077 will raise the bar and perhaps be far better then that of GTA games.

Whenever I mention this in a website comments section I get attacked. Even at the Cyberpunk 2077 reddit I get downvoted to hell.

Is Cyberpunk 2077 fanbase really largely made up of core GTA players?

You get attacked probably because you are wrong and those people are bad at expressing them selves. this is not a sandbox game some one spent 200m developing and isn't the... 10th? game in the series.

I believe the intent was to compare elements found in both games against each other. This doesn't sound wrong to me. Perhaps it isn't fair to compare the overall games. Comparing individual elements with similarities is reasonable.

He/she is likely getting attacked, especially on Reddit of all places, because people are often assholes on the interwebz. It goes with the territory. It has always been this way. It could be argued it used to be a lot worse. Some of the stuff people used to say back in the day.... One should be sure to equip thick skin when exploring the internet. It's a hostile, unforgiving landscape.

Rockstar have enormous expeiance in sandbox games. I hope I'm wrong, but CP77 probably won't have as good shooting and driving mechanics. Rockstar mastered those in almost 20 years, it's first game with cars and guns for CDPR. As for other parts ( storytelling, skill system etc) I'm sure that CP77 will set bar very high.

GTA might have good driving, but the shooting is still pretty basic. CP2077 being primarily first person, I expect the shooting to take inspiration from FPS games and not GTA. The shooting in the recent gameplay trailer looks miles better than anything I have ever seen in a GTA game.

CP2077 is NOT an "open world" game like GTA. Trying to compare the two is like comparing apples to oranges. Yes, both are fruit, but that's about all they have in common.
Except Cyberpunk 2077 IS an open world game. The dialog options and RPG elements doesnt negate that.
Post automatically merged:

Branching story elements

Romance options

NPC interactions

Lifepaths

Single Player DLC

Except Cyberpunk 2077 IS an open world game. The dialog options and RPG elements doesnt negate that.
It's a question of emphasis. It is an open world game in the sense that it is a game with a seemless open environment. However it's not a "sandbox" game first and foremost. It's a narrative driven RPG first - www.pcgamer.com/story-comes-first-in-the-making-of-cyberpunk-2077/.

The emphasis on the latter instead of the former means lots of different design decisions will be made in favor of serving a compelling narrative and role playing a character over the freedom to do anything for the player which seems to me to be the primary emphasis in GTA. That difference in emphasis means comparing the two needs to be done understanding the context that they are trying to do different things.

I think the apples and oranges comparison is fairly apt. They are both fruits (which have lots of stuff in common), but ultimately are not trying to be the same thing, and ought to be judged on their own terms. EDIT: Maybe tangerines and oranges would be a slightly better comparison.

Last edited:
CP2077 is NOT an "open world" game like GTA. Trying to compare the two is like comparing apples to oranges. Yes, both are fruit, but that's about all they have in common.

CDPR LITERALLY advertises CP2077 as Open-world.

Size discussions nonwithstanding, even witcher 3 was definitely an open-world game.

Anyone searched the steam store with filters for specific game genres lately? The categorization of games is all over the place. At this point games aren't apples or fruits. They're big boxes consisting of 40 different fruits and vegetables. Case and point, a narrative driven, open world, rpg, action, adventure, shooter game with various quirky elements including pubic hair customization and nipple tasers.

Not that it matters. GTA has driving in it. CP2077 has driving in it. Comparing the driving across each game is totally fair. Not a 1:1 comparison, of course (for the reasons pointed to by Rawls above). Some manner of comparison, sure.

GTA might have good driving, but the shooting is still pretty basic. CP2077 being primarily first person, I expect the shooting to take inspiration from FPS games and not GTA. The shooting in the recent gameplay trailer looks miles better than anything I have ever seen in a GTA game.

I'd take over GTA5 shooting mechanic over Battlefields or newer CoD ( after MW3). As for driving, from my perspective GTA4 has the best driving feeling, then any non racing game I know.

This is just my opinion, I'm well aware, that many of gamers would bash me for saing that, everyone have their own taste.

Because Rockstar has much more money than CDPR, that's why.
Also, we shouldn't have too high expectations.

WE shouldn't?

Anyone searched the steam store with filters for specific game genres lately? The categorization of games is all over the place.

This is not about categorisation of games on steam. This is about the description of the game CDPR have themselves written. They intentionally label CP2077 as open-world. Can you just stop trying to deny the obvious.
calvin denial2.jpg

I am 99.99% certain that CDPR intends to become a AAA-developer just like Rockstar, and Witcher 3 made this possible. Marcin Iwinski has said this in an interview I am pretty sure, even though I dont have a link handy. You should stop trying to think of them as a beloved indie developer...

Last edited:
WE shouldn't?

They're talking about polishing, as stated in the article. In fact, they had to delay the game 2-3 times because of bugs.

Last edited:
It's a question of emphasis. It is an open world game in the sense that it is a game with a seemless open environment. However it's not a "sandbox" game first and foremost. It's a narrative driven RPG first - www.pcgamer.com/story-comes-first-in-the-making-of-cyberpunk-2077/.

The empasis on the latter instead of the former means lots of different design decisions will be made in favor of serving a compelling narrative and role playing a character over the freedom to do anything for the player which seems to me to be the primary emphasis in GTA. That difference in emphasis means comparing the two needs to be done understanding the context that they are trying to do different things.

I think the apples and oranges comparison is fairly apt. They are both fruits (which have lots of stuff in common), but ultimately are not trying to be the same thing, and ought to be judged on their own terms. EDIT: Maybe tangerines and oranges would be a slightly better comparison.

The differences will be very minor. Technically, GTA isn't a sandbox game either, as it has a lengthy narrative-driven story as well. However, I think you'd be able to play both of these games as a sandbox if you'd rather not follow the story. The biggest difference in how GTA and Cyberpunk play is character level progression and more of a focus on character perks and stats in the latter (and FPP vs TPP). Other than that, I don't think you'll find much difference between what you can do in the two games. Thus, I'd say the apples to oranges comparison isn't accurate at all, and it's closer to tangerines and oranges like you said.

Money can solve these things

This is not about categorisation of games on steam. This is about the description of the game CDPR have themselves written. They intentionally label CP2077 as open-world. Can you just stop trying to deny the obvious.

I'm saying I don't place much weight into how they categorize it. Games have become too broad in nature. Thus, genre labels have lost much of their meaning.

Again, it doesn't matter anyway. If a mechanic in one game has parallels to a mechanic in another it's reasonable to draw comparisons. The mechaincs in one may not be a perfect analogue to another. I fail to see why comparing behavior within those mechanics would be a problem though.

I am 99.99% certain that CDPR intends to become a AAA-developer just like Rockstar, and Witcher 3 made this possible. Marcin Iwinski has said this in an interview I am pretty sure, even though I dont have a link handy. You should stop trying to think of them as a beloved indie developer...

CDPR is already an AAA developer.

The biggest difference in how GTA and Cyberpunk play is character level progression and more of a focus on character perks and stats in the latter
Yeah it's not that just narrative focus. It's that one is a narrative driven RPG, and the other is a action sandbox. I would quibble that GTAV seems to be more primarily focused on the sandbox elements than the narrative, but I think reasonable minds can differ there.
Other than that, I don't think you'll find much difference between what you can do in the two games. Thus, I'd say the apples to oranges comparison isn't accurate at all, and it's closer to tangerines and oranges like you said.
One has a branching narrative quest design and dialogue structure. That's a huge difference in design that impacts many other designs. The milieu and tones of the worlds are likely to also be very different.

Yes you can compare how well the level design (& maps), combat mechanics and driving (which seems to be the three places where I think most comparisons will be), but if your focused mostly on just that stuff, your missing what I think is the main focus of CDPRs game. It's fine to compare, but keeping what the games are aiming to be in context is important. Because it informs where finite resources and time are spent.

That's why I've been saying for years that it's best to think of the game as TW3 narrative and quest deisgn, meets Deus Ex HR setting, meets GTA open world design, with some other things picked up from other places too.

Top Bottom