What do you think of the old version vs new version of the song "chippin in"

+

Which version of the song - Chippin' In - you like better

• both

• none

• i've made my own version of chippin'in which top these

• others (comment)

Results are only viewable after voting.
It's no different than when all the rockbands of the 60s and 70s started to change their tune after the Vietnam war and the stagnate cultural state in America. Their music did not match the standard of pop music of that time, but they quickly became popular because many of their songs reflected what the people felt in that era. So bands like The Doors, Water Creedence Revival, Bob Marley essentially started a cultural reform like Samurai. It's not widely unbelievable to think a hardcore punkband reaches mainstream success (cough, The Clash, cough, Green Day, cough, Sex Pistols, cooooooooooough!)

the more i listen to 2018 the more i feel like im at the bar taking a shot of that whiskey and getting ready to head out and on my toes watching out for a gun fight, like in the wild west. 2019 is like what was said in the nwe2 where it sounds like u want to just want to smash things. not really my style. I am a bit worried thought, that listening again today at other samurai songs, theres not much to the vocals except never fade away, but its like the the vocal just throws the words out there monotonously over and over. compared to 2018 i guess u know what i mean.

then again after seeing Sadukhar's post with the list, i hope CDPR have a band that plays songs like that of the 2018 in the game, perhaps a band that belongs the nomads, since its more to their kind of tune we can hear briefly in nwe2 during the introduction of the nomad lifepath (melancholy steel string guitar western tone). A good way to sneak the band in. I know I'll be satisfied, then samurai can be whatever they want to be I dont care.

Last edited:
then again after seeing Sadukhar's post with the list, i hope CDPR have a band that plays songs like that of the 2018 in the game, perhaps a band that belongs the nomads, since its more to their kind of tune we can hear briefly in nwe2 during the introduction of the nomad lifepath (melancholy steel string guitar western tone). A good way to sneak the band in. I know I'll be satisfied, then samurai can be whatever they want to be I dont care.

You put it perfectly. If I could just find SOME music for me to like, I would be more satisfied and less loud to complain. Samurai be what it is, I think there is too much focus on it already. Unfortunately so far I haven't really heard anything to my liking from the actual songs. The "game background music", the instrumental stuff, is ok but it is intended to be background music to tune out of your brain.

Personally, I think that 2018 version is as generic as it can get. Under no circumstance I see it on top of radio charts.
Here is what's important - radio charts, not just gamers or youtubers.

There is another side of it - in the world of cyberpunk society is quite different, middle class as we know it doesn't exist there and majority of population consists of wage slaves and declassified elements. When I heard Refused as Samurai for a very first time it made total sense for me - rough but rich music for rough, tired and inventive people who want their freedoms back.

It was quite risky move from CDPR and I was quite surprised (positively) when CDPR decided to work with Refused even more. Don't know for others but for me it was a clear signal that CDPR went all-in for world building and atmosphere.

P. S. A Like Supreme now is my favorite. Can't wait for the rest of the album game to come out.

My thoughts are:
Old "Chippin in" is better than new one because of non changed lyrics, BUT I despise both versions as:
Old "Chippin In" had original lyrics but music is different than what was said about it in 2013 Rockerboy reprint of Album review in CP2020 main book and described in "Never fade away" story/adventure moments before Johnny Silverhand has channeled his concert audience on arasaka guards.
New "Chippin in" is far inferior. Taking into account that Samurai disbanded around 2007/8 (interview with Kerry Eurodyne from Rockerboy), and "Chippin in" along with "Never Fade Away" are tracks from Johnny Silverhand 2013 solo album "A cool metal fire" (Album ad from Rockerboy+Chart list from RB+2013 Rockerboy reprint of Album review in CP2020 main book) this song has changed music, lyrics, and author in 2077 lore.
So for me both are No No's because they don't match the lore (but I can be wrong, and there's more simple explanation than retconning/not sticking to the core lore)
PS:Original "Never Fade Away" lyrics are quoted as Silverhand's, both in CP2020 and CPRed Jumpstart Kit.
=======
EDIT:Every band that plays with JS is/can be called Samurai. Still Music and lyrics are changed.

Last edited:
Top Bottom