Keg Purchasing Strategies

+
I'm looking for some advice on keg purchasing for a later stage collection... I'm at the point where all I have left to add to my collection are a few dozen Epic cards and a whole lot of Legendary cards. About half of the missing cards are neutrals.

Opening base kegs seems like a waste at this point, since they just result in 70 scraps most of the time. Would focusing on expansion kegs have a better chance of yielding legendary / neutral cards? Or would I be better off to focus my search for legendaries on faction kegs and just craft the neutral cards from the scraps?

Any thoughts would be appreciated! :)

I'm looking for some advice on keg purchasing for a later stage collection... I'm at the point where all I have left to add to my collection are a few dozen Epic cards and a whole lot of Legendary cards. About half of the missing cards are neutrals.

Opening base kegs seems like a waste at this point, since they just result in 70 scraps most of the time. Would focusing on expansion kegs have a better chance of yielding legendary / neutral cards? Or would I be better off to focus my search for legendaries on faction kegs and just craft the neutral cards from the scraps?

What I have been doing, as I'm in the same boat as you, is I go through my missing card list and separate out which cards come from which expansion, and then buy the kegs for the expansion that had the highest count of missing cards

DRK3

Forum veteran

I cant say this with 100% guarantee, but im almost completely sure every keg has the same droprate of commons/rare/epic/legendary. The only thing that changes the outcome of a keg opening is the prestige level, which can change the droprates of premiums (on prestige 1 and 10 i believe).

If you're missing a lot of neutrals, and are only interested in finishing the collection (and not on getting the best cards), the best way is to use the filters to show which cards you're missing, then go by each set/expansion - the one where you are missing the most cards its probably the one which you should be buying kegs for.

I'm missing 30 legendaries and 11 epics, almost all of them from the base set. I think you can complete your expansion collections rather quickly, base set has by far the most cards in it and even more neutrals. sadly legendaries drop rather rarely, so you will end up crafting most of the cards you want.
that's why most cards I'm missing are neutral and from the base set. they're mostly bad.

Just out of curiosity, what Prestige level are the people who have nearly filled out their collections of Epics? I was hoping to eventually hoard kegs once I had nearly all of the Epics and then open up everything after reaching Prestige 5; although, now I'm wondering if that's really feasible. I'm nearly Prestige 3, and I'm still missing around a hundred Epics along with 150-200 Legendaries.

The problem I'm encountering now is that even when I stick to opening up Base Set kegs, where my collection of Epics is under 50%, I still see nothing but duplicates most of the time. Since progress is almost nonexistent already, I was wondering if I should just stop opening my kegs now (to wait for Prestige 5), even though I'm still missing hundreds of cards, or if I should continue waiting until I have more Epics, or if I should just forget about the extra Premiums received from being Prestige 5 (on the assumption that it doesn't take that long to get a Premium playset of Commons and Rares regardless). Any advice?

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity, what Prestige level are the people who have nearly filled out their collections of Epics? I was hoping to eventually hoard kegs once I had nearly all of the Epics and then open up everything after reaching Prestige 5; although, now I'm wondering if that's really feasible. I'm nearly Prestige 3, and I'm still missing around a hundred Epics along with 150-200 Legendaries. If it helps with perspective, I recently completed the contract for opening a thousand kegs.

The problem I'm encountering now is that even when I stick to opening up Base Set kegs, where my collection of Epics is under 50%, I still see nothing but duplicates most of the time. Since progress is almost nonexistent already, I was wondering if I should just stop opening my kegs now (to wait for Prestige 5), even though I'm still missing hundreds of cards, or if I should continue waiting until I have more Epics, or if I should just forget about the extra Premiums received from being Prestige 5 (on the assumption that it doesn't take that long to get a Premium playset of Commons and Rares regardless). Any advice?
I'm not high prestige at all (3?, i don't remember at the moment), but it sounds like I had a little better drop rate than you, and I'll admit I have bought kegs with real money as well.

Pray to RNGesus for better drops.

Just out of curiosity, what Prestige level are the people who have nearly filled out their collections of Epics? I was hoping to eventually hoard kegs once I had nearly all of the Epics and then open up everything after reaching Prestige 5; although, now I'm wondering if that's really feasible. I'm nearly Prestige 3, and I'm still missing around a hundred Epics along with 150-200 Legendaries. If it helps with perspective, I recently completed the contract for opening a thousand kegs.

I'm doing the same thing but I'm almost prestige 5 (prestige 4 level 49 atm). I didnt spent anything since level 35 or so but I wouldnt rly recommend it if you're still in prestige 2 unless you dont really care about the missing cards because it will take you quite a while to get to prestige 5 I think. interestingly enough, I finished the 1000 kegs contract just one month ago but I'm missing way less cards than you do Oo (41 in total, 40 legendary 11 epic).

The game does not have duplicate protection, so it is not just getting a legendary card, it also has to be different from the ones we already have. The best thing is to buy kegs from where we lack more cards and create the rest. :beer:

Oops, after checking my account, it seems I made a mistake. It wasn't the 1,000 kegs contract I just collected the reward for; it was the final contract for spending ore (50,000). It turns out that I've opened 643 kegs, and I'm missing exactly 103 Epics and 167 Legendaries; although, I'm also sitting on 20k scraps and a lot of unscrapped duplicates because I selected the most conservative milling option.

DRK3

Forum veteran
Just out of curiosity, what Prestige level are the people who have nearly filled out their collections of Epics? I was hoping to eventually hoard kegs once I had nearly all of the Epics and then open up everything after reaching Prestige 5; although, now I'm wondering if that's really feasible. I'm nearly Prestige 3, and I'm still missing around a hundred Epics along with 150-200 Legendaries.

You're still too far from prestige 5, it doesnt really pay off hoarding kegs until you get there, by the time you reach Prestige 5 you will probably have a full collection if you do open the kegs as you go along.

Getting full premium collection is another thing... I reached it a few months before MM, now im working on getting the new cards all in premium to restore my "premium collection status".

in about same boat as you, have 1022 of the 1198 total cards, and at prestige 3

I just filter by all the unowned epics and see which faction/expansion i have the highest ratio of unowned epics vs total pool, and buy kegs in that order

dont rly expect to get too many lengendaries (i think 5% drop rate) from kegs so plan is to mostly craft them as needed based on the meta.

for me, if I have the majority of epic and all bronze cards in a faction then I won't open that faction kegs anymore because Gwent does not have duplicate protection for any rarity. So, I open other factions and craft the cards I want instead.

This will lead me in next couple months from now in same situation as you which I open all factions keg and only neutral cards I do not have and/or I do not have any scrap to craft the card I want.

I will open expansion kegs that I don't have epic / legendary the most and ultimately I will open neutral kegs since I don't have the scrap and the chance to get duplicate epic and/or legendary seems lower than the chance I would get duplicate from any factions. In the worst case, it just convert 100 ore to 70-80 scraps but if I lucky then I can get some epic / legendary I don't have.

other than that maybe I wait until the new expansion arrive and open the new expansion kegs instead. Then, I will get some scraps to craft old cards from other set that I don't have.

I'm not high prestige at all (3?, i don't remember at the moment), but it sounds like I had a little better drop rate than you, and I'll admit I have bought kegs with real money as well.

Pray to RNGesus for better drops.
You are currently at Prestige 2 Level 33.
How many kegs have you bought and how many have you opened in total?

I' am curious because I opened so far 1018 kegs. Now I am at Prestige 5 Level 28 with 1012 cards - well, with the resources (RP, ore and scraps) I would get about another 70.

You are currently at Prestige 2 Level 33.
How many kegs have you bought and how many have you opened in total?

I' am curious because I opened so far 1018 kegs. Now I am at Prestige 5 Level 28 with 1012 cards - well, with the resources (RP, ore and scraps) I would get about another 70.
I've lost count and I don't know where to check for those numbers, but I've probably opened 1500 kegs, and roughly 300 of those were purchased. I'm only missing 175 golds

I'm at the point where all I have left to add to my collection are a few dozen Epic cards and a whole lot of Legendary cards. About half of the missing cards are neutrals.
That's why all suggestion "buy only faction kegs" are wrong. New players should buy faction kegs only till the moment they have first good deck and not "all the cards from that faction". Then they should switch to buying expansion kegs - expansion kegs can be "finished" (when you have all cards from that expansion) and then move to kegs from another expansion.

When I accumulate gold now, I just assume that I'll be using the cards mostly for scraps. Recently I 'bought' a whole lot of base set kegs and got lucky with a couple of cards popping up which I didn't have...I 'bought' 15 or 16 kegs.

Personally, I now think that getting the base set kegs might be best for me but alternatively if I want to bump up my card numbers for a certain faction in the base category, say, I'll get a lot of kegs for that faction. Hopefully I'll get lucky, if not, the main game is to get enough scraps to craft a card for the faction that I want.

I bought a whole heap of the Master Mirror vanilla card kegs. Now I've got most of the cards for each faction and all of the cards for one faction, so my odds are very low of getting lucky with cards that I don't have for that collections, so I don't bother anymore aiming for those.

Basically I'm trying to bump up my base collection and if a new set comes out, I'll hopefully have enough gold to get most of the cards that I need from it with a big 'buy'...which could be a dozen, two dozen, three dozen kegs etc.

Top Bottom