Vsync issues

+
Vsync issues

Hello!I'd like to know if you can help me with my problem.I have a Geforce 8800 GTX working under Vista Home Premium and a ViewSonic LCD 22" Widescreen monitor.I have a terrible problem. I keep on having horizontal tearing on the screen.I forced the vsync option with the Nvidia panel, togetehr with the trilinear filtering.The game still has the same problem...after millions of tests I have tried to run the game in windowed mode and the tearing was completely gone!!All I ask is: do the Nvidia panel options apply only in windowed mode?...Is there any way to have The Witcher running without tearing in fullscreen mode?? Please help me! :beer:Thanks a lot!!Davide

keiran

Forum veteran
you should not use forced options in nvidia panel. you can turn vsync on ingame options.

There is no vsync option in The Witcher ingame options...Anybody knows anything about this usse? thanks!!

I can't get v-synch to work in the game. I have it forced from within the nvidia driver settings, but still the gamme runs with v-synch turned off.

Do you have vertical synchronization (v-sync) on or off, when playing The Witcher?Please try not to flame, you may express your opinion, but be civil :)Until recently I used CRT, so no problem with v-sync or so. Deciding if I want to buy a new LCD, I borrowed one (24") from my friend and I discovered what is V-sync about etc. Gathering informations about it I came to conclusion, that it is actually a matter of personal preference to have it enabled or disabled. But I'm curious, what do player of The Witcher prefer :)

keiran

Forum veteran
Well, I have not seen any option to enable it in the witcher. I always leave the controls in drivers 'leave it to app', cause otherwise there are some problems.

since i had a bug with my old 6800xt with vsync in wow (fps was locked at 30 fps ~.~), ive got vsync always disabled.

Keiran said:
Well, I have not seen any option to enable it in the witcher. I always leave the controls in drivers 'leave it to app', cause otherwise there are some problems.
As you say, via drivers options you can force to disable it.Disable vsync is always nice to any game.

VSync off creates some image tearing when turning fast. You can compensate this by switching to Triple Buffering, but this will also increase the memeory usage.Sometimes it also creates a kind of lag. Lowering the prerender value will lower the lag, but this also eliminates the fps improvement. Increasing the prerender value causes more lag but also improves the fps a bit.If your framerate is ok and you don't need the extra frames, just enable VSync to get rid of the sideeffects.

I think it all strongly depends on the monitor itself and the resolution. The larger and monitor chip slower, the more "tearing" is visible. On large slow IPS it would be more notocable then on fast small TN :)Anyway, the truth is, that it would be fine to have this option in The Witcher. I know where to enable/disable it, but some people don't know and even can't :(

Plase note, if you have V-Sync turned off, turn off also triple buffering. It made my game run smoother :)

I've never found a need for Vsync to be enabled, however, the largest monitor I have used is 19" and I usually have a fairly decent graphics card. This Article has some good information for you to use in your decision.

Triple Buffering only works with VSYNC on. Its boosts the framerates with Vsync. Without Vsync on triple buffering doesnt do anythingl

Nephilim said:
Triple Buffering only works with VSYNC on. Its boosts the framerates with Vsync. Without Vsync on triple buffering doesnt do anythingl
Well, I actually had VS off and TB on and playing Vampire Bloodlines this produced some nasty things (8800GT). Turning TB off corrected it.

Ok so here are my general specsIntel DX38BTCore 2 Quad q9300 (2.5ghz)1x 500gb WD Caviar2x1gb OCZ PC3 1600 7-7-7-20 1.9v (DDR3)Visiontek HD3870Antec NeoPower 500Acer P223W 22" 5ms 2500:1 Monitor (60hz refresh rate)(also another HD that has the paging file -4096)So obviously I meet the specs. I have all the latest drivers, updates etc.I've tried playing this game in both xp pro 64 bit edition, and Vista ultimate (32 bit)And the screen tearing is ridiculous. Anyone know how I can turn on V-sync in the CCC? I dont think its there. Also I've tried every combination of settings I can think of. Even the lowest possible resolution at the lowest settings, yeah the screen tearing ALMOST goes away but obviously I shouldnt have to play the game like that. I've tried windowed mode. I did my best to find what other people are saying, but the only thing i havent tried is enable Antisoptric filtering from CCC (not application managed). Im gonna go home and try that. I've honestly tried for a very long time to get this game to run in a state thats decent. I've pretty much given up but I thought I would just throw this out there to see if anyone found anything that works. Also what are Omega drivers and would those do anything? How can I view my fps in game? If anyone else has the same card and a similar monitor, and Can play the game, please tell me what your settings are both in game and in CCC. thanks in advance.also if you want my dxdiag I can post that but im not at that computer at the moment.

yeah this game is a piece, i downloaded the Ati tray tools from wherever. tried forcing Vsync, changing resolutions, changing refresh rates, pretty much everything. My fps never drop below 40, so thats not the problem. I tried everything, screw this I wish I could have my money back. Too bad too, cause the game looks fun.

Ive personally never experienced any sync problems, could you post some screenshots?Omega Drivers are modified ati drivers, often they work better then regular drivers, they are optimized for performence and generally less buggy then standard drivers, if you google omega drivers you should be able to find them no problem but make sure you follow the installation instructions

well I tried taking a SS but I dont think that will work cause a SS will capture the frame, screen tearing is an issue related to displaying frames on your display not a problem with rendering those frames. at least thats how I understand it. I suppose I will try the omega drivers next. Ive tried lower resolutions with a higher refresh rate but I didnt notice a difference at all, I think that only works for CRT's and this is an LCD

pontius said:
well I tried taking a SS but I dont think that will work cause a SS will capture the frame, screen tearing is an issue related to displaying frames on your display not a problem with rendering those frames. at least thats how I understand it. I suppose I will try the omega drivers next. Ive tried lower resolutions with a higher refresh rate but I didnt notice a difference at all, I think that only works for CRT's and this is an LCD
I have the exact same video card as yours and have really enjoyed using it!As to the problem you're having, I've read a lot of issues posted by people using LCD monitors and tearing issues. I've considered buying an LCD for myself, and these posts have made me cautious about the purchase. I'm using a 21 inch CRT and really do like what I've got but would like to get a 22 inch LCD at some time.You are also correct about the Refresh Rate not being available for LCD monitors. That's something you can't tweak in LCDs from all I've read so far about it.So, that brings me to another consideration for you: Are you playing at the LCDs default resolution or have you been using non-default resolutions? I've read that this is one of the major causes of rendering problems on LCDs...that is, using non-default resolutions.One thing you 'might' consider as well (although I have no idea whether this is possible or not) and that is to make sure that the INGAME settings are set to match the rendering capabilities of the LCD. That is, for example, if the game has a setting to adjust Refresh Rate, make sure it's set to 60 Hz. In other words, attempt to make the game match your LCD rather than the other way around.Good luck!

Top Bottom