Choosing a Film Director for Cyberpunk (2077) movie/show

+
A bit of slow news days for us fans right now until the next NCW, so I wanna a do a topic about the possibility for a Cyberpunk movie or TV series in the future.
Which film directors that you guys think would deliver it properly. Meanwhile Here is my personal TOP 5 picks:

1. Gareth Evans (The Raid Redemption, The Raid 2, Apostle, Gangs of London)
2. Cary Joji Fukunaga (True Detective S1, Beast of No Nation, Netflix's Maniac, No Time to Die)
3. Leigh Whannell (UPGRADE, Invisible Man)
4. Taylor Sheridan (Sicario - writer, Hell or High Water -writer, Wind River, Yellowstone)
5. Keanu Reeves (Man of Tai chi + VERY BIG ACTOR LOL)

My reasoning:
+ It's pretty clear the list aren't exactly the most obvious "big film directors" that we commonly know, but I feel this could be its own advantages & maybe an opportunity for creativity.

+ Gareth Evans. He is my first pick because I feel he is just the perfect person to handle it imo. he's a great action thriller director, arguably the best & most unique one in recent years. He is also quite a great writer, particularly in themes about crime drama like gangs, hard social life, diverse communities, all things about city underbelly. Some of his works actually really fit in Cyberpunk scenario, especially his latest work TV series "Gangs of London." I really recommended anybody who love action gritty stuffs & maybe body horror to watch his movies & TV series. He is indeed one of the most underrated film director, especially since he is no "Hollywood guy."

+ Cary Joji Fukunaga. His works are just strikingly excellent & bold. his directorial big debut with True Detective S1 truly elevated him to be one of the best film director in recent years. He's also a great writer with works like "Beast of Nation" & "Maniac." Also, he directed the upcoming James Bond's No Time to Die! We shall see what he could come up with for a more action oriented movie like james Bond.

+ Leigh Whannell. One of the directors that actually has very cyberpunk genre works under his belt. UPGRADE is just an excellent cyberpunk horror movie. Meanwhile "Invisible Man" is a pretty great horror movie that low key sci-fi like the stuffs from "Black Mirror." both movies also written by him so it pretty much showed the potentials for an excellent Cyberpunk writing. Apparently he is also working on "Escape from New York" Remake & it's pretty clear the OG movie is one of a direct influences to Cyberpunk genre.

+ Taylor Sheridan. Arguably the best screen writer on the list while also a pretty good film director. His writing works on Sicario & Hell or High Water are just excellent to boot. Very deep, meaningful, gritty, & also rather americana imo. his directorial debut in Wind River is just great imo. So many gripping powerful scenes in that movie.

+ KEANU REEVES. Ah ... the man, the legend, Johnny Silverhand himself. Yes, I actually did want him to direct a Cyberpunk movie/TV series. He is the "Wild Card" imo. His one & only directorial debut movie "Man of Tai Chi" actually is pretty decent action MA movie imo. it has great action scenes with somewhat decent story albeit quite average imo. This could also be a surprise & maybe a potentials that the world have not yet seen!! As far as we know, Keanu Reeves also work on some of the best cyberpunk movies of all time like Matrix trilogy & also in a cult classic Cyberpunk movie Johnny Mnemonic. So at this point, he's probably very familiar with Cyberpunk genre as a whole.

What do you guys think?? Also, feel free to make your own list of film directors that you want for Cyberpunk 2077 movie/show.

Last edited:
- Darren Aronofsky

- Denis Villeneuve

- David Cronenberg

- Paul Verhoeven

The first three because their movies tend to be more thoughtful, "artistic" and deeper than normal Hollywood action blockbusters. And that's exactly what I'd want to see.

Verhoeven because he is just the best choice at creating excruciatingly violent near future dystopias with darkly humorous social commentary amidst the action (Robocop, Total Recall, Starship Troopers).

Last edited:
- Darren Aronofsky

- Denis Villeneuve

- David Cronenberg

- Paul Verhoeven

The first three because their movies tend to be more thoughtful, "artistic" and deeper than normal Hollywood action blockbusters. And that's exactly what I'd want to see.

Verhoeven because he is just the best choice at creating excruciatingly violent near future dystopias with darkly humorous social commentary amidst the action (Robocop, Total Recall, Starship Troopers).

Pretty good choices there. Denis Denis Villeneuve is truly an amazing film director. I love his works since movie "Prisoners." His Blade Runner 2049 is indeed one of the best sequel movie I have ever watch, definitely also an amazing Cyberpunk movie. I am hoping he deliver upcoming DUNE magnificently too.

I love Darren Aronofsky's "The Fountain" & "Black Swan," not so much with his recent movie "Mother!" though, although it is indeed a very beautiful movie.

Paul Verhoeven old movies are indeed some of his greatest & his works on those movies also rather satirical too.

As for David Cronenberg, The Fly & A History Violence are the only movies he worked on that I currently watched (remembered) & I like them both.

I am definitely onboard with both Gareth Evans and Cary Joji Fukunaka. Those are some fantastic directors. I also would throw Denis Villeneuve in the mix because he's a visionary.

Taylor Sheridan is a very interesting name in the hat. He's got the writing end of things down perfectly, but he's only got Wind River under his belt worth writing home about. His directorial debut was an indie film called Vile in 2011. It was okay. I'd want to see more from him before entrusting him with something as deep and rich as Cyberpunk.

My left-field choice would have to be Tom Ford. He's only got two motion pictures under his director's belt but they were both home runs. To see Cyberpunk brought to life on screen in the same vibe as Nocturnal Animals would be eye melting. The downside to this choice is that Tom has never done a lot of action in either of his films so I don't know where he'd take the story. I feel like we wouldn't see very much combat, if any at all.

That makes me go back to Denis Villeneuve and wanting to see him take Cyberpunk and make it like Enemy.

I got one

Christopher Nolan

I can absolutely see Nolan doing great justice to a CP movie. My one hesitation with him is that he loves the cerebral approach and the movie might read more like Neuromancer than Cyberpunk. That's by no means a bad thing at all, just a lot more details to pick up on and read into. Which the more I think about doesn't sound like a bad thing at all

Denis Villeneuve (Blade Runner 2049) is kind of an obvious choice, considering the way he has succesfully juggled drama, thriller, action, psycho-intellectual stuff, and even dark comedy. He’s a master at making films that are grand-yet-sober, which could work wonderfully with a Cyberpunk film like it did with BR2049.

David Fincher (The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo), Alejandro González Iñárritu (Babel), Neil Blomkamp (District 9), and Danny Boyle (Trainspotting) come to mind too, for a thriller-, drama-, action-, or dark-humor-based approaches respectively. For an anime film treatment, directors like Mamoru Hosoda (Summer Wars), Shinichirō Watanabe (Cowboy Bebop), and the late Satoshi Kon (Paranoia Agent) could’ve approached a source material like Cyberpunk’s in a really interesting way.

Last edited:
Awesome topic!

I'm between Edgar Wright, Matt Reeves or Nicolas Winding Refn.

Edgar Wright because what he did with "Baby Driver" . He show cased a potential for an incredible heist movie. By being a director and a writter. Given the fact that most of the lore of Cyberpunk is about heists and action sequences.

Matt Reeves another one that is showcasing potential. What he did on" Planet of The Apes" movies and how he directed the utility of CGI with practical effects to showcase a bealivable world. Was outstanding work.

Nicolas Winding Refn is another one that does have potential as well, has an incredible work in his resume. From "To Old To Die Young", "Only God Forgives" and "Drive". He has an eye for story progression like no other director does and have. Every work that he does has a deep rooted artistic value to it outside of the normal things we see on theater in blockbuster movies.

If I had to choose one. Would be difficult. But if I have to, would be Nicolas Winding Refn.

I am definitely onboard with both Gareth Evans and Cary Joji Fukunaka. Those are some fantastic directors. I also would throw Denis Villeneuve in the mix because he's a visionary.

Taylor Sheridan is a very interesting name in the hat. He's got the writing end of things down perfectly, but he's only got Wind River under his belt worth writing home about. His directorial debut was an indie film called Vile in 2011. It was okay. I'd want to see more from him before entrusting him with something as deep and rich as Cyberpunk.

My left-field choice would have to be Tom Ford. He's only got two motion pictures under his director's belt but they were both home runs. To see Cyberpunk brought to life on screen in the same vibe as Nocturnal Animals would be eye melting. The downside to this choice is that Tom has never done a lot of action in either of his films so I don't know where he'd take the story. I feel like we wouldn't see very much combat, if any at all.

That makes me go back to Denis Villeneuve and wanting to see him take Cyberpunk and make it like Enemy.
I am glad you're on board with Gareth Evans & Cary Joji Fukunaga! Also, Tom Ford is quite an interesting choice, similarly with my pick on Leigh Whannell as both still pretty low in their directorial career while also seems to have potentials.
Post automatically merged:

What a hell of a comeback that would be for Carpenter! Escape from New York meets Cyberpunk 2077. Yes please!

The thing is apparently "Leigh Whannell" basically got a passing torch from John Carpenter to make "Escape from New York" Remake! That's why he was on my list aside from his own great movies. I was a bit surprised too when I found out about it LOL

I got one

Christopher Nolan
I can absolutely see Nolan doing great justice to a CP movie. My one hesitation with him is that he loves the cerebral approach and the movie might read more like Neuromancer than Cyberpunk. That's by no means a bad thing at all, just a lot more details to pick up on and read into. Which the more I think about doesn't sound like a bad thing at all

I kinda agree with MacSalty on this, Christoper Nolan probably far better for Neuromancer & Sprawl Trilogy in which also having so much trouble getting a deal for a movie projects for no reasons. Maybe Christoper Nolan might actually able to get that movie deal.

Awesome topic!

I'm between Edgar Wright, Matt Reeves or Nicolas Winding Refn.

Edgar Wright because what he did with "Baby Driver" . He show cased a potential for an incredible heist movie. By being a director and a writter. Given the fact that most of the lore of Cyberpunk is about heists and action sequences.

Matt Reeves another one that is showcasing potential. What he did on" Planet of The Apes" movies and how he directed the utility of CGI with practical effects to showcase a bealivable world. Was outstanding work.

Nicolas Winding Refn is another one that does have potential as well, has an incredible work in his resume. From "To Old To Die Young", "Only God Forgives" and "Drive". He has an eye for story progression like no other director does and have. Every work that he does has a deep rooted artistic value to it outside of the normal things we see on theater in blockbuster movies.

If I had to choose one. Would be difficult. But if I have to, would be Nicolas Winding Refn.

Edgar Wright is indeed a great choice. He also tend to have a rhythmic style directions in his movies, especially when it comes to Rock music. Scott Pligrim VS The World & Baby Driver also proven that he's capable in making unique & stylistic action scenes.

Matt Reaves. I can't wait for his "The Batman" movie, seems to have a quite noir detective-like style too that kinda lacking in Batman movies that we got so far.

Nicolas Winding Refn. I really love Drive & Valhalla Rising, although I think his style is way too "artsy" sometimes, which is pretty good on some movies.

Last edited:
The thing is apparently "Leigh Whannell" basically got a passing torch from John Carpenter to make "Escape from New York" Remake! That's why he was on my list aside from his own great movies. I was a bit surprised too when I found out about it LOL

This is news to me! Wow, that could be really interesting if this goes through production and into theatres. First of all for Carpenter to pass that torch is massive, even though he has made it clear he's perfectly happy making music and playing Xbox with his son for the rest of his days. Secondly, an Escape From New York remake could be stellar! I would love to see what new and fresh ideas are brought to the table. I also wonder who will fill Snake Plisken's boots this go around? Also, will we see Kurt Russell come back as maybe as The President, Hauk, or Cabbie?

Denis Villeneuve (Blade Runner 2049) is kind of an obvious choice, considering the way he has succesfully juggled drama, thriller, action, psycho-intellectual stuff, and even dark comedy. He’s a master at making films that are grand-yet-sober, which could work wonderfully with a Cyberpunk film like it did with BR2049.

David Fincher (The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo), Alejandro González Iñárritu (Babel), Neil Blomkamp (District 9), and Danny Boyle (Trainspotting) come to mind too, for a thriller-, drama-, action-, or dark-humor-based approaches respectively. For an anime film treatment, directors like Mamoru Hosoda (Summer Wars), Shinichirō Watanabe (Cowboy Bebop), and the late Satoshi Kon (Paranoia Agent) could’ve approached a source material like Cyberpunk’s in a really interesting way.

That's a great list. Interesting choice with anime directors there, especially since CDPR also already working on with Studio Trigger for anime Cyberounk 2077 Edgerunners. Shinichirō Watanabe is probably the one that fairly known to me as he also constantly work on some great anime that some of them are cyberpunk-ish too, especially as he also worked on "Blade Runner 2022" anime short.

Edgar Wright is indeed a great choice. He also tend to have a rhythmic style directions in his movies, especially when it comes to Rock music. Scott Pligrim VS The World & Baby Driver also proven that he's capable in making unique & stylistic action scenes.

Matt Reaves. I can't wait for his "The Batman" movie, seems to have a quite noir detective-like style too that kinda lacking in Batman movies that we got so far.

Nicolas Winding Refn. I really love Drive & Valhalla Rising, although I think his style is way too "artsy" sometimes, which is pretty good on some movies.

True true.

One thing I find fascinating about Edgar Wright is the scenes he tends to portray. Coming from movies more like the ones he wrote such as "Ant Man", "The Adventures of Tintin", "Hot Fuzz", I was surprised he was behind "Drive" when I saw that movie.

In regards of Nicolas Winding Refn. Indeed very artistic. That is what makes his work stands out from the rest, as we know it. Seems like an interesting choice for being the director and writer, given the fact that he tends to create a world that it's stories are very condensed and serious.

And Yes. Matt Reeves "The Batman" is looking phenomenal.

They all are quite good. Haha.

This is news to me! Wow, that could be really interesting if this goes through production and into theatres. First of all for Carpenter to pass that torch is massive, even though he has made it clear he's perfectly happy making music and playing Xbox with his son for the rest of his days. Secondly, an Escape From New York remake could be stellar! I would love to see what new and fresh ideas are brought to the table. I also wonder who will fill Snake Plisken's boots this go around? Also, will we see Kurt Russell come back as maybe as The President, Hauk, or Cabbie?

Well, the rumor is the casting choice for Snake Plissken will be Wyatt Russell himself. And yes, he's Kurt Russel's son hehe

Well, the rumor is the casting choice for Snake Plissken will be Wyatt Russell himself. And yes, he's Kurt Russel's son hehe

Wyatt would be fantastic, I love his work. Especially on Black Mirror. Yeah, he actually grew up playing hockey against me! Goldie was a hell of a cheerleader and an awesome lady.

Either Ridley Scott or David Fincher, those are the only two that could visually pull Night City off.

Top Bottom