Animation needs fixing with more cinematic way (Demo)

+
To all Cyberpunk 2077 Animation DEV team !

Please fix current old weapon positioning method with semi-uncoupled method, like Nintendo Conduit game has:

This gameplay animation mechanic looks more natural and cinematic. It allows player to observe game world with more realistic behavior and shows all weapon models in more nicer way. Plus - weapon recoil feels more realistic !
For more precise example I've found some link with ready demo file and packed emulator for testing it by keyboard and mouse.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is never too late. Besides - it is not too difficult to add simple addition to camera scripting system and weapon models input...

Simple - try the Demo by that link and press aiming button. It works just like regular aiming button on every average game...

I won't be downloading unverified files just to check that, sorry.

Anyway, my opinion is that the whole system is kind of weird, with guns "floating" from left to right. I see none of the benefits you've listed. Must be a reason why not many games implemented FPS shooting mechanics like this.

The excessive gun swinging is too jarring. I prefer the stationary gun model that has minimal reaction to movement. It’s a nice balance.

My vote goes to "no, thank you, I am too old for that". Crosshair should be always in the middle of the screen. The old school way. Not sure how one can get used to this type of aiming and be good at it. But again, I may be too old for that 🙂

geocp

Forum regular
I found it very interesting.
The camera moves only when the crosshair is getting closer to the edges of the frame.
It's like in real life when you move only your eyes without moving your head if the thing you want to look at is already inside your point of view.

I think this might be a welcoming option for a lot of people who are experiencing 1st person motion sickness.

It is never too late. Besides - it is not too difficult to add simple addition to camera scripting system and weapon models input...

A "simple" scripting fix. A multi-month testing process to ensure there are no downstream effects that cause bugs or game play imbalance.

That's also neglecting the fact that that aiming animation hasn't been popular since GoldenEye 007 came out for N64 in 1997

A lot of people hasn't even tried the attached demo and keep telling that this idea is bad, LOL ;D
Post automatically merged:

The camera moves only when the crosshair is getting closer to the edges of the frame.
It's like in real life when you move only your eyes without moving your head if the thing you want to look at is already inside your point of view.

I think this might be a welcoming option for a lot of people who are experiencing 1st person motion sickness.
That is exactly what I'm talking about !:) This way of control is way more immersive and cinematic.

Anyway, my opinion is that the whole system is kind of weird, with guns "floating" from left to right. I see none of the benefits you've listed. Must be a reason why not many games implemented FPS shooting mechanics like this.
Don't worry - google is too stupid and always screaming about virus warning if archive files is encrypted. And uncoupled aim control is not weird - just try Conduit game on keyboard and mouse and you will see. A lot of game developers just don't want to use more advanced mechanics and keep using simple old control mode. I know that Operation Flashpoint and ArmA developers tried to invent this technique, but they forgot to use gradient addition on the screen edges, so their implementation was not too good... Only Nintendo succeeded with this tech, but they have motion controllers, so noone from PC gaming saw this success...

Last edited:

Please fix current old weapon positioning method with semi-uncoupled method, like Nintendo Conduit game has:

This gameplay animation mechanic looks more natural and cinematic. It allows player to observe game world with more realistic behavior and shows all weapon models in more nicer way. Plus - weapon recoil feels more realistic !
For more precise example I've found some link with ready demo file and packed emulator for testing it by keyboard and mouse :
(archive password: Demo)
Not gonna happen but I love it.

For more precise example I've found some link with ready demo file and packed emulator for testing it by keyboard and mouse :
(archive password: Demo)
This is just my opinion, but this would be so horrible for me, that it would literally ruin the game for me. This movement style in video games drives me to such extreme levels of discomfort, that I would immediately quit the game and go get a refund.
This would essentially turn the entire feeling of movement into the feeling of walking through an ocean of chewing gum. To say I would be disappointed, would be the most grandest of understatements, and I would only say it for the lack of a better word. I would be unable to even articulate the level of sadness I would feel. Sincere honest thoughts.
I really think it might be a little too late to change things up now. I am quite happy the way it is now, but that is just my opinion.
Same

The excessive gun swinging is too jarring. I prefer the stationary gun model that has minimal reaction to movement. It’s a nice balance.
That feels way to disconnected from the camera, allowing the gun to point all the way to one side like that.
No, the animations *really* do not need "fixing"
Especially not with this as the proposed replacement
My vote goes to "no, thank you, I am too old for that". Crosshair should be always in the middle of the screen. The old school way. Not sure how one can get used to this type of aiming and be good at it. But again, I may be too old for that 🙂
A "simple" scripting fix. A multi-month testing process to ensure there are no downstream effects that cause bugs or game play imbalance.

That's also neglecting the fact that that aiming animation hasn't been popular since GoldenEye 007 came out for N64 in 1997
100% agree

Nobody in real life aims like this. There are actually laws where I live that if someone starts waving the gun in front of their vision like this at a gun range for example, the people who work there will begin yelling at them and the person can be kicked out/banned from the gun range for endangering the other people, possibly even arrested depending on how severe the situation was. True Facts.

A lot of people hasn't even tried the attached demo and keep telling that this idea is bad, LOL ;D

That is exactly what I'm talking about !:) This way of control is way more immersive and cinematic.

Don't worry - google is too stupid and always screaming about virus warning if archive files is encrypted. And uncoupled aim control is not weird - just try Conduit game on keyboard and mouse and you will see. A lot of game developers just don't want to use more advanced mechanics and keep using simple old control mode. I know that Operation Flashpoint and ArmA developers tried to invent this technique, but they forgot to use gradient addition on the screen edges, so their implementation was not too good... Only Nintendo succeeded with this tech, but they have motion controllers, so noone from PC gaming saw this success...
1. it is a very bad idea to download random files from the internet, especially when someone is telling people to do this, and trying really hard to convince them. (Don't worry! Google is always screaming about virus warning LOL ;D) (yea call me paranoid but I'm not doing it)
2. if this is more immersive and cinematic, then why don't more video games do this?
3. if Nintendo succeeded with this tech, then why didn't it become extremely popular? Why do you need to convince us to accept this feature? Shouldn't we already automatically love it even before you proposed it, assuming it's so successful and popular? Just saying.

I'm just saying but sometimes some things are better when they're more complex, and some things are better when they're more simple. What I like about the way that Cyberpunk2077 is doing it with the aiming is that it's simple and it works, and it doesn't give me more stress and frustration than the enjoyment it gives me. There are other things in Cyberpunk2077 that are more complex, but they work well that way because of their special context.

Last edited:
This is just my opinion, but this would be so horrible for me, that it would literally ruin the game for me. This movement style in video games drives me to such extreme levels of discomfort, that I would immediately quit the game and go get a refund.
This would essentially turn the entire feeling of movement into the feeling of walking through an ocean of chewing gum. To say I would be disappointed, would be the most grandest of understatements, and I would only say it for the lack of a better word. I would be unable to even articulate

1. it is a very bad idea to download random files from the internet, especially when someone is telling people to do this, and trying really hard to convince them. (Don't worry! Google is always screaming about virus warning LOL ;D) (yea call me paranoid but I'm not doing it)
2. if this is more immersive and cinematic, then why don't more video games do this?
3. if Nintendo succeeded with this tech, then why didn't it become extremely popular? Why do you need to convince us to accept this feature? Shouldn't we already automatically love it even before you proposed it, assuming it's so successful and popular? Just saying.

I'm just saying but sometimes some things are better when they're more complex, and some things are better when they're more simple. What I like about the way that Cyberpunk2077 is doing it with the aiming is that it's simple and it works, and it doesn't give me more stress and frustration than the enjoyment it gives me. There are other things in Cyberpunk2077 that are more complex, but they work well that way because of their special context.

A lot of negative words I see, but I lot of people like this way of control, and you prefer thinking they are not exist. For example - players from Red Orchestra2 game, OF, ArmA series, Insurgency, and all VR players - they all using this technique. I agree that they are more hardcore style players and less arcade style. But this thing might be as an option in game to switch between classic and cinematic mode.
About your notes:
1) About downloading things from internet - if you don't want to download - nobody asking you to do this. I just uploaded my archive to those who interested in trying this demo.
2) This method is more advance and not every studio want to mess with additional work. A lot of companies still sitting ducks in retro Doom1 style mode with weapon sticked to camera and don't know about other methods or don't want to evolve.
3) Same as #2

Actually - my post is for game animators and for those people who are tired to see every new First Person Shooter game with old and unnatural weapon/camera behavior .
P.S. - try Half-Life Alyx VR game with motion controllers and you will understand what I'm talking about.

A lot of negative words I see,
Where?
Am I negative because I disagree?:think:
I just have opinions my friend. I am very expressive, I know that. Text has its limitations I try to do my best.

but I lot of people like this way of control, and you prefer thinking they are not exist.
I never said that. :think:

For example - players from Red Orchestra2 game, OF, ArmA series, Insurgency, and all VR players - they all using this technique. I agree that they are more hardcore style players and less arcade style. But this thing might be as an option in game to switch between classic and cinematic mode.
About your notes:
VR is like its own entire genre with its own entire set of unique control systems, very different from mouse and keyboard. Most people probably wouldn't mind a community made VR mod for the game, but using a rather difficult to use control scheme from a distant nintendo game that I may add, utilized a controller, and placing this on a PC game, is something that I and others are not very happy about, considering that it would quite literally prevent us from enjoying the entire experience.

1) About downloading things from internet - if you don't want to download - nobody asking you to do this. I just uploaded my archive to those who interested in trying this demo.
I'm sorry my friend, but you are quite literally asking people to do exactly this, multiple times throughout the thread.

[...]
Simple - try the Demo by that link and press aiming button. It works just like regular aiming button on every average game...

Have you tried attached demo ?

2) This method is more advance and not every studio want to mess with additional work. A lot of companies still sitting ducks in retro Doom1 style mode with weapon sticked to camera and don't know about other methods or don't want to evolve.
3) Same as #2
Actually - my post is for game animators and for those people who are tired to see every new First Person Shooter game with old and unnatural weapon/camera behavior .
P.S. - try Half-Life Alyx VR game with motion controllers and you will understand what I'm talking about.
It's very possible that someone could make this as a community made mod, so don't get your hopes down, it could happen as a mod. I'm just saying, and I hope the best for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom