Potential Bloat: Is this game going to be too big

+
I still remember Morrowind fondly because every single home was open to exploration even if 90+% of the locations were not tied to story or missions. TW3 villages were mostly composed of closed doors and those which were open usually had interiors which were copy-pasted all over the world.

Some people may call the first route useless bloat, I call it attention to detail.

I still remember Morrowind fondly because every single home was open to exploration even if 90+% of the locations were not tied to story or missions. TW3 villages were mostly composed of closed doors and those which were open usually had interiors which were copy-pasted all over the world.

Some people may call the first route useless bloat, I call it attention to detail.
The former really works for immersion. I remember going about all those areas in Morrowind and exploring the world for hours and hours at a time, not advancing in any of my quests. However, though, I managed to steal goods to sponsor my adventures!

But frankly, I don't see how any of that is going to be possible given the current settings. Games like Cyberpunk 2077 are highly anticipated to have great quality in details of the open world, if not quantity AND quality. I'm not saying CDPR can't or won't make it, but I am definitely saying the same degree of exploration possibilities as we'd had see before are not something we should expect. It's not just the size of the map that's gone up, it's also the texture details, better models, lighting, quests, interactions and countless other things that have grown in their complexity that make it so much more difficult to reach the same degree of wandering around and in and out of buildings.

Still, though, I still think we'll something we haven't seen much before. Hopefully we'll get a hint regarding what to expect during the marketing campaign or some Night City Wires episodes!

Too big? Of course not.

I want more cars, more guns, more enemies, more exotic enemies, more masks, more colors, more buildings, more NPC's and I want them all to be different, I want more difficulty levels, more air ships, more customization, I want not one, but 5 subway lines.... and a railroad. A harbor in the bay, with NPC building new ships, an airport with at least 20 different airlines all going somewhere, we already have a launch pad, so I want to be able to go to space, I want a CP ISS, and at least 30 meaningful side quests in just that part of the game.... it will also be in the future, so I want to be able to fly to Mars as well, and be able to visit more NPC's there as well. I want the traffic density to be exactly perfect, and nothing short of perfection will satisfy my happiness with this game. I also want more skyscrapers, and I want them to be taller, and fully explorable....

... man.. this game is just going to suck, isn't it?

But how is this possible? :shrug: That's a massive difference in GB space needed. How do you need 150, and then it goes down to 99? How?

I have a PS4 which is different from PC.

"PS4 - 99 GB installation space with an additional 50GB for the installation process. "

They could make the games installer modular. Let the user choose some of the ”less important” things to download and install (but also allow their inclusion later on if needed).

Few people need all the voice localizations, for all the languages. Or 4K assets and stuff like that. For example.

Could reduce the game size at least a bit.

Last edited:

Guest 4406876

Big, uninteresting and empty with a story that's short and sucks would be a problem. Big enough, detailed enough, with fun stuff to do not atrociously gamey and the same all the time (like RACE TO GET THE CHECKPOIINTS) and a main story that keeps you going is good.

But how is this possible? :shrug: That's a massive difference in GB space needed. How do you need 150, and then it goes down to 99? How?

As far as I know you answered this question yourself, funnily enough :)

You mentioned earlier that when you unpack a zip file you now the have the compressed file and the unpacked files on your drive, right? So now you have two copies and you're using more room than is needed.

For example, if a game has compressed files of 10GB and they unpack to 15GB you're now using 25GB disk space. So you needed 25GB install space even though the final game size only takes up 15GB.

Basically, as far as my understanding of it goes, for some games and some types of installation (digital versus disc) you need packaged files to be on your drive first. The setup then unpacks the files, installs the game and then deletes the redundant packages.

As far as I know you answered this question yourself, funnily enough :)

You mentioned earlier that when you unpack a zip file you now the have the compressed file and the unpacked files on your drive, right? So now you have two copies and you're using more room than is needed.

For example, if a game has compressed files of 10GB and they unpack to 15GB you're now using 25GB disk space. So you needed 25GB install space even though the final game size only takes up 15GB.

Basically, as far as my understanding of it goes, for some games and some types of installation (digital versus disc) you need packaged files to be on your drive first. The setup then unpacks the files, installs the game and then deletes the redundant packages.
Oh okay I guess the wording got me confused, that makes sense I think lol. :)
I mean, you make sense, I just THINK I understand.... I THINK.... Lol. I might be confused, but whatever. It was a cool discussion!
Post automatically merged:

They could make the games installer modular. Let the user choose some of the ”less important” things to download and install (but also allow their inclusion later on if needed).

Few people need all the voice localizations, for all the languages. Or 4K assets and stuff like that. For example.

Could reduce the game size at least a bit.
OH yes! this would be very useful! :D(y)

I have a PS4 which is different from PC.

"PS4 - 99 GB installation space with an additional 50GB for the installation process. "
I think I am catching on now. I think. Thank you all for helping me understand lol.

Glad I could help!
Super happy to have that over whatever I was dealing with as a kid with all those CD and DVD installations, to be honest.
Yes! I totally get you there! When it was easy and simple, it was easy and simple, but ohh boy, OHHHHHHHHHHHH BOY.... when something went wrong, it went WRONG...... So yea I'm really happy that things are easier now when it comes to video game installation! :D(y)

Last edited:
OH yes! this would be very useful! :D

I think it should become an industry standard now that games are becoming so massively (and overly in my opinion) large; at least with games that take over 50GB of space. It would be HD economic since people could opt out from all the dead weight that comes with a game (although retaining the possibility to get them at will), like the afore mentioned localization audio and highest resolution assets, and also not everyone has a 200+ MB fiber connection so downloadtimes would also go down and get the customers faster to the product itself.

I'm not a tech guy so I don't know exactly what the save would be, but if the high res graphics pack for Fallout 4 was 60GB, I'd wager the size would go down... if not dramatically, at least almost.

In a world in which you can buy a 1TB SSD for less than 80 Euros you want to have option to save 10 to 30GB of extra data? Hmmm... I think that data cap some of the ISP's have should be better reason to not download everything in one go, not the data storage, which is super cheap currently.

Why not 99.99% since we're at it?

People might not "care" because they don't have a choice. But if they had... why wouldn't they care?

I'm not sure why you are opposing this. I can't figure out a sensible reason.

I'm not "opposing" anything. I just think it's not worth implementing, considering the fact that storage is so cheap these days. Implementing different installation packages was necessary in times when people had HDD's in size of megabytes (my first HDD - 160MB). Now it's not relevant anymore.

In a world in which you can buy a 1TB SSD for less than 80 Euros you want to have option to save 10 to 30GB of extra data? Hmmm... I think that data cap some of the ISP's have should be better reason to not download everything in one go, not the data storage, which is super cheap currently.
Where do you see 80 euro SSDs? Please link me because I'd legit love to find some. Looking into investing in them and thats cheaper than what I've seen

I think it should become an industry standard now that games are becoming so massively (and overly in my opinion) large; at least with games that take over 50GB of space. It would be HD economic since people could opt out from all the dead weight that comes with a game (although retaining the possibility to get them at will), like the afore mentioned localization audio and highest resolution assets, and also not everyone has a 200+ MB fiber connection so downloadtimes would also go down and get the customers faster to the product itself.

I'm not a tech guy so I don't know exactly what the save would be, but if the high res graphics pack for Fallout 4 was 60GB, I'd wager the size would go down... if not dramatically, at least almost.
Absolutely.

10-30GB is 1-2 full games or space for something else more useful than stuff the user never touches. It's just unnecessarily wasteful use of space.
Why not 99.99% since we're at it?

People might not "care" because they don't have a choice. But if they had... why wouldn't they care?

I'm not sure why you are opposing this. I can't figure out a sensible reason.
To whom it is, to whom it isn't.

And it's not even a point that "storage is cheap, go buy an another hard drive". It's just impractical and wasteful to fill it with shit you never need anywhere.
Where do you see 80 euro SSDs? Please link me because I'd legit love to find some. Looking into investing in them and thats cheaper than what I've seen
Yea I gotta agree. Even if I had infinite money to get all the shiny new super fast high storage SSD's to fit all my files and games on, it would be such a wonderful gift, such a great amount of pressure off my shoulders of I could minimize filesize of game installs by just opting out of all the un-needed stuff. It would definitely make my experience surrounding file storage and video gaming much much easier, even if I had enough space. I would compare it to the feeling I get when I am at a family members house and they give me permission to remove all the decorative shenanigans from the bathroom sink/counter so that I can actually see and find the handles to the water faucet without getting lost in a maze or accidentally knocking it all over, or when they give me permission to remove the 99 million extra cushions and pillows from their overloaded sofa/couch so I can actually find a place to sit down. It makes a huge difference. :sleep:

Top Bottom