Does anyone else feel that the driving physics is off?

+
Watching some of the trailers released recently, the driving sequences felt off to me. No car should be able to turn so sharply or stop so abruptly. CP2077 is set in the future but inertia, momentum and Newton's Laws are immutable.
It's not a driving simulator but it does spoil the sense of immersion for me. As a person with many years of driving experience it just doesn't seem right to me.

Last edited:
I was honesty hoping it would be a mix of GTA 4 and GTA 5 driving physics. Big cars and SUV's acting like land yachts and sports cars/super cars having more of a sporty yet semi realistic feel to it. Jackie's car does look and feel very touchy as well as arcadey, but I have yet to actual try it out. Maybe they were using a keyboard and not a controller, as games such as Beamng Drive can feel very akward with a keyboard.

I am hoping CP2077 has different driving options in the settings, so we can tailor our own driving style.

I don't think we've seen enough of finished footage that even the devs are happy with. Haven't they said they weren't satisfied with that themselves after Night City Wire Episode 1?

Guest 3847602

I do, at a glance it looks like driving Batmobile in Arkham Knight. Not a huge deal, but yeah, I hope to see some tweaks done to the physics and handling. For the cars to feel like they have some weight and be less glued to the tarmac while making turns at full speed...

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm more concerned that the driving and chase/escapes sequences are too orchestrated.

That even if you had the fastest car in the game, if the mission is to chase/escape from someone with a shitty van, the game dictates, that the van is supercharged by the rules of the mission (the "enemy" is adjusted to "your" speed; nothing to do with in-game reality) so that the chase goes on a certain amount of time (and possibly leads you to a specific location where it stops and a firefight ensues) even if you could end it in a couple of seconds with your current vehicle.

I've seen that happen in other games. And its been so obvious to the naked eye, that it actually harms everything there is about driving.

I just think we haven't seen enough. It's obviously not a game trying to simulate reality, so I think, it will be more arcade-y, maybe like NFS-games? That would be good enough for me.
I remember one preview (maybe Eurogamer?) where the author chose the Nomad origin and then described the difference between driving the Nomad starter car and the later car we know from the trailers.
She felt a difference and liked the feeling of that difference. So that sounds good to me – like, not fantastic, but more than enough for a RPG.

Physics realism doesn't matter too much, it had to "feel" right when playing. Being hyper-realistic could make driving super tedious.

I'm more concerned that the driving and chase/escapes sequences are too orchestrated.

That even if you had the fastest car in the game, if the mission is to chase/escape from someone with a shitty van, the game dictates, that the van is supercharged by the rules of the mission (the "enemy" is adjusted to "your" speed; nothing to do with in-game reality) so that the chase goes on a certain amount of time (and possibly leads you to a specific location where it stops and a firefight ensues) even if you could end it in a couple of seconds with your current vehicle.

I've seen that happen in other games. And its been so obvious to the naked eye, that it actually harms everything there is about driving.
That's exactly what GTA has been doing for 20 years.

I was honesty hoping it would be a mix of GTA 4 and GTA 5 driving physics. Big cars and SUV's acting like land yachts and sports cars/super cars having more of a sporty yet semi realistic feel to it. Jackie's car does look and feel very touchy as well as arcadey, but I have yet to actual try it out. Maybe they were using a keyboard and not a controller, as games such as Beamng Drive can feel very akward with a keyboard.

I am hoping CP2077 has different driving options in the settings, so we can tailor our own driving style.
Oh no, please please nooooo! GTA driving physics made every car feel like a land-boat. It was horrible! :cry::giveup:

There will be street racing side activities, so I'm expecting it to be adequate - but not much more than that. And that's perfectly fine for this sort of game. 🙂

There will be street racing side activities, so I'm expecting it to be adequate - but not much more than that. And that's perfectly fine for this sort of game. 🙂
Well CDPR doesn't have to just make it adequate, it could very well possibly be excellent if that's what they want to do, and to be honest, excellence in the driving elements would only make the game even better. :love:(y)

Top Bottom