Platform Discussion Thread

+

Which API do you think CP 2077 will use?

• Total voters
They already said it's DX12 unfortunately. But they are going to be using Vulkan for the Stadia version. If it will help them also enable it in the Windows one and make one for proper Linux - then great.

Last edited:
DX12 usage was mentioned before in this thread https://www.tweaktown.com/news/73566/cyberpunk-2077-is-directx-12-exclusive-for-the-pc/index.html

Pretty bad news, but I don't think it's a fake.

I don’t browse the forum that much but, now that you mention it, I think I did see those news back then :LOL: I’m personally not against DX12 but having Vulkan as a choice too would’ve been great.

For Stadia version they can't use anything but Vulkan - it's the requirement (see "Software Stack" section there):
https://stadia.dev/intl/en_us/about/

I wasn’t aware of Stadia’s Vulkan exclusivity. Thanks for the info :cool:

I wasn’t aware of Stadia’s Vulkan exclusivity. Thanks for the info :cool:

I think they started with mandating Vulkan (and it runs on Linux naturally). But may be now they also allow using OpenGL, though for games like CP2077 that won't be even a consideration.

So far I don't think they allow using Wine (which could in theory allow the game to use DX12 that could be translated into Vulkan). They could also use vkd3d directly for DX12 to Vulkan translation without Wine, but for someone like CDPR, using a translation layer that incurs a performance overheard would look pretty bad. They have more than enough money to make a proper native renderer that's using Vulkan.

Just bought a PS5, I'll have it by November 23 with cyberpunk. Both from Amazon.

I'm getting a little scared about the recent rumors about ps5 performances compared to both SS and SX, though. Let's see how things evolve in the next 2 months.
Might actually sell it at day one for good earnings. Here it went soldout in less than 8 minutes. O.O

Those are unexpectedly forgiving requirements! I bet those are aimed for 1080p and 30fps. I'd like to be wrong, though :LOL: But I can't complain too much... for now.

Benchmarks will have the last word on actual performance.

Those are unexpectedly forgiving requirements! I bet those are aimed for 1080p and 30fps. I'd like to be wrong, though :LOL: But I can't complain too much... for now.

Benchmarks will have the last word on actual performance.
yes, I'm not that scared anymore for current gen consoles. Still scared, but a little less. Not my problem anymore though.

Just bought a PS5, I'll have it by November 23 with cyberpunk. Both from Amazon.

I'm getting a little scared about the recent rumors about ps5 performances compared to both SS and SX, though. Let's see how things evolve in the next 2 months.
Might actually sell it at day one for good earnings. Here it went soldout in less than 8 minutes. O.O
Series X and PS5 are not that far apart hardware wise. I'd be more concerned about other things, like the future of Bethesda games on the PS platform if you're into Elder Scrolls, Fallout and DOOM etc.

Series X just became that much more tempting with their Zenimax acquisition. And game pass is just insanely good value.

So CP2077 Stadia release is now confirmed on day one together with Windows and consoles. After going through all that trouble of making it work on Linux using Vulkan for Stadia, it should be now a small step to make a proper desktop Linux release CDPR!

So CP2077 Stadia release is now confirmed on day one together with Windows and consoles. After going through all that trouble of making it work on Linux using Vulkan for Stadia, it should be now a small step to make a proper desktop Linux release CDPR!

Awesome news! I wonder if it supports Vulkan ray tracing

Awesome news! I wonder if it supports Vulkan ray tracing

I don't know the details, but I think AMD only plan to provide accelerated ray tracing in their upcoming RDNA 2 GPUs, while Stadia is using some custom Vega ones. So may be not? But Google won't be stuck with them forever, at some point they'll upgrade them to newer ones, and accelerated ray tracing will be an option.

What CDPR could do, is to add ray tracing to desktop Linux release.

So can we hope for a Linux release too? I'd really like a Linux version because my PC with Windows is so slow.

Top Bottom