Thoughts on influencers/youtubers being NPCs in the game

+

Are you OK with having youtubers in the game as NPCs and having quests tied to them?

• Yes.

• No.

• Should be smaller easter egg like the farting trolls in Witcher 3.

• Don't care.

Results are only viewable after voting.

imgonline-com-ua-twotoone-qm6satON7HRpBwV.jpg

Very cool but I don't think its a very flattering adaptation of her face, she is far more beautiful in real life than what CDPR has created here Its quite disappointing actually, but super stoked that she's in the game I've always appreciated her take on the game industry.

You have one very obvious easter egg in first 5 Minutes of the corpo life path start. Not really hidden, clear reference. On the other hand, I don't even know most of the youtubers represented as NPC's in the game. So tell me - which one is more immersion breaking? Also, having actors in the game is not immersion breaking?

Sorry: as always, I'm not getting the drama here.
What easter egg? i didnt see any,even if i did like i said there is probably no content that revolves around it,like it can be an ad or some poster that i can easily ignore,on the other hand you have to do side quests for alanah pearce and jessie cox who i watch and enjoy their youtube channels,it really baffles me that people find this whole "Dont actors break immersion" as compelling argument,its laughable to say the least,why do you think people heavily praised kevin spacey in COD and didnt consider him immersion breaking,while at the same time heavily criticize jessica chobot in mass effect 3 who was a minor character that can get kicked off easily? hell even i was not on board with keanu reeves until i saw the full pacifica demo and saw how much personality he added to johnny silverhand as a character,even Cdpr said that keanu reeves made johnny silverhand more relatable and complex and thats what great actors do and as a result of that it does not break immersion it enhances it.

When I'm playing a pen & paper RPG I don't have immersion problems when I see real life friends playing characters. If a npc has a fitting character role in Cyberpunk 2077 I don't care if it has a familiar face or not. It might only be immersion breaking if someone is in the game as his/herself and not as a ingame character.

Well I don't know why people liked Kevin and didn't liked someone else, because like I said, this drama is completely overblown and I don't understand it. Also, you are saying something about performance - so is it about performance or immersion? Are you assuming that they (youtubers) won't perform as good as actors? So you will also not like the fact that Mike Pondsmith is also in the game.

I get that some might find this immersion breaking, but there's a few factors that should mitigate some of these concerns I feel.
  • First of all, they're playing a character - not themselves! The NPC has their looks, and their voices, but their name, backstory and purpose in the world of 2077 is unique, and as long as they're written well, I don't see how this would be more distracting, than watching two different movies, where an insignificant side character is played by the same Hollywood actor... "Hey, that's that guy from..." - and then you're over it.
  • They're not part of the main story! Merely minor side quests, that are optional, and probably more light-hearted than the main storyline.

I don't know any of these "influencers" and youtubers because I never click on the trending tab to see what's the current trend but since now I know they're in the game, I'll make sure to put a bullet in their heads when they offer me quests.

Thinking about the world of the game, shallow people focused on how the world is perceiving them, being vain, self absorbed and all about the exterior, I guess it's a good fit to put "youtubers" and "influencers" in there.
Still I regard this as a huge downgrade for what I hope will be an amazing games with these kind of flaws.

Very cool but I don't think its a very flattering adaptation of her face

That's the problem with injecting real people into games, celebrities like Keanu included. They're accurate enought that you recognize them, but they all look uncomfortably "off" due to the uncanny valley, and that hurts the experience greatly. That's why they should be all left out completely (sans probably their voices) and let the artists come up with what they see prorper for the character.

I mean, Alanah looks like something you'd probably find in a lingerie catalogue, judging by the way she represents herself, and the model in CP looks like a dogfaced stablegirl by comparison, yet retaining enough resemblance that you can tell it's her.

That's just wrong, and I can't imagine why someone would see that as a positive thing (for any of the rendered (pseudo-)celeb-look-alikes).

That's the problem with injecting real people into games, celebrities like Keanu included. They're accurate enought that you recognize them, but they all look uncomfortably "off" due to the uncanny valley, and that hurts the experience greatly. That's why they should be all left out completely (sans probably their voices) and let the artists come up with what they see prorper for the character.

I mean, Alanah looks like something you'd probably find in a lingerie catalogue, judging by the way she represents herself, and the model in CP looks like a dogfaced stablegirl by comparison, yet retaining enough resemblance that you can tell it's her.

That's just wrong, and I can't imagine why someone would see that as a positive thing (for any of the rendered (pseudo-)celeb-look-alikes).
It's no worse than statues depicting real people

cristiano-ronaldo-portugal-airport-statue.jpg

;)

Guest 3573786

And this is why I not only will not preorder, but am contemplating whether to buy at all.
I wonder how many more negative things will I learn about this game before release.
Here's hoping it wont be more random and pointless youtubers at least.

And hopefully we can mod these chars out like in ME3

The great thing about having youtubers in the game is that it proves that everything else in the game will be perfect, as never CDprojekt would waste time in such a petty thing like implementing youtubers in the game if the rest was not already perfect.
Hmmmmmm
:think:Not sure if sarcasm, dry humor, or both (or just plain literal words?):shrug:
:ROFLMAO:Lol there are so many possible ways to read this.:think:
You have one very obvious easter egg in first 5 Minutes of the corpo life path start. Not really hidden, clear reference. On the other hand, I don't even know most of the youtubers represented as NPC's in the game. So tell me - which one is more immersion breaking? Also, having actors in the game is not immersion breaking?

Sorry: as always, I'm not getting the drama here.
What's the easter egg?
View attachment 11060012
Very cool but I don't think its a very flattering adaptation of her face, she is far more beautiful in real life than what CDPR has created here Its quite disappointing actually, but super stoked that she's in the game I've always appreciated her take on the game industry.
If Alanah is in the game I would like to see her with her signature fully silver hair. I really don't like the purple hair or the pink and blue parts of the cyberware. I also agree that she is more beautiful in real life and the face in game doesn't do her justice. I feel like if her character was improved a bit so that all of her cyberware complemented her silver hair and went by a special color scheme according to that style, the whole character would appear way more cool and just look better. Just my opinion. I also like her accent.

Her voice is really nice. I never watched her videos much, so I guess I really don't feel annoyed or anything, but I could understand how others who know her very well would feel. If I had to choose the pink/blue character VS a 1:1 copy of Alanah in the game, I would choose Alanah because she's actually really beautiful. I don't feel the same way about the character. The character just doesn't really feel inspiring to me, and Alanah in real life seems to have more personality and just better looks, and better everything in general to be honest.

I feel the same lack of emotion and complete and total disinterest that I feel when I look at the 2020 V designs. Alanah really deserves better in my opinion. In many ways, I feel that Alanah is like the beautiful 2018 female V that inspires a deep variety of emotions and inspires me and makes me feel appreciation for their style and beauty and makes me feel interested in their character, where as the character inside the game is like 2020 female V, which for some reason, I can not force myself to feel anything for, no matter how much I try to care. I don't know what it is. Honestly just pouring my heart out here, sharing my deepest honest opinion about it. Even the 2020 male V is a complete 180 from 2018 male V. But yea. I like Alanah and I feel like she's gonna add to the game in a positive way. I hope all of this made sense.
When I'm playing a pen & paper RPG I don't have immersion problems when I see real life friends playing characters. If a npc has a fitting character role in Cyberpunk 2077 I don't care if it has a familiar face or not. It might only be immersion breaking if someone is in the game as his/herself and not as a ingame character.
I kinda feel this yea.
At this rate the whole damn Youtube community will be added. Personally I think this is very annoying.
I also have to kind of agree in some way.
Well I don't know why people liked Kevin and didn't liked someone else, because like I said, this drama is completely overblown and I don't understand it. Also, you are saying something about performance - so is it about performance or immersion? Are you assuming that they (youtubers) won't perform as good as actors? So you will also not like the fact that Mike Pondsmith is also in the game.
Actually, even though I can understand both sides and have my fair share of likes and criticisms of this whole thing, I am REALLY happy Mike Pondsmith is in the game because he's just really cool and I'm already confident he's going to be great, because it's Mike Pondsmith, one of the great Grand-daddys of Cyberpunk genre.
Or restoration of real art...
View attachment 11060060
Oh my gosh I remember this.

Last edited:
Still don’t have a problem with it, her color scheme makes me think she’s part of the Wraiths gang. My first play through will be Nomad so interested in seeing what her character wants.

:think:uh... hahah... Haha? what? Lol I wonder what the post Alanah was replying to looked like?
Part of me hopes she is just making a sarcastic ironic joke here. She normally seems pretty chill so I'm willing to assume she's just kidding around. :LOL:
I respect her opinion about the character she is acting in Cyberpunk2077, but even though I respect it, I honestly don't understand it at all. Am I unintentionally being a hypocrite? If so, please forgive me. I'm just a bit confused about what's going on. Context is really important, and Context, I do not have here.
No way is she a Wraiths , Alanah said she is a quest giver . She will be part of the Avocado (JK) or a free range NPC.
I am curious about what kinds of quests she has. Might be fun!

Last edited:
:think:uh... hahah... Haha? what? Lol I wonder what the post Alanah was replying to looked like?
Part of me hopes she is just making a sarcastic ironic joke here. She normally seems pretty chill so I'm willing to assume she's just kidding around. :LOL:
I respect her opinion about the character she is acting in Cyberpunk2077, but even though I respect it, I honestly don't understand it at all. Am I unintentionally being a hypocrite? If so, please forgive me. I'm just a bit confused about what's going on. Context is really important, and Context, I do not have here.

I am curious about what kinds of quests she has. Might be fun!

Alanah said she has one quest only in the Nomad LP (y)so if you don`t do that LP you wont see her . Makes me wonder if if the other LP`s have someone special to give quests .

Alanah said she has one quest only in the Nomad LP (y)so if you don`t do that LP you wont see her . Makes me wonder if if the other LP`s have someone special to give quests .
That's interesting. I kinda wonder if there are going to develop entire player-cultures that intentionally only choose certain life paths to either intentionally avoid or intentionally interact with certain celebrity-inserts into Cyberpunk2077 that are only available on certain life paths, as you suggest as a cool possible theory? Like some people that only ever play corpo, because they really want to avoid a character, or they always want to meet a special character in the corpo life path. Or maybe street kid, has someone they want to avoid, or someone they really want to meet, or Nomad has someone special they want to meet. Who knows?

Personally I am a bit dumbfounded as to the reason why they thought this would be a good idea, especially when 'immersion' has been a central theme throughout interviews, their past work and so on. I am talking outside of the obvious business and marketing decisions to add Youtubers and influencer's likeness into the game.

This game doesn't need more publicity, it's one of the most anticipated and hyped games in recent memory.

I have no doubt that there will be plenty of well written original characters in the game, CDPR are known for creating interesting, relatable, in depth characters, some you love, and others you love to hate. IMO, this is one of CDPR's strengths.

At first I was on the fence with Keanu Reeves for fear of it taking me out of the experience, since those initial worries I've come around believing he will be a positive addition not taking too much away from our character considering that's who we are portraying/role-playing as.

I think it's the fact it's not just a voice over, or a NPC created as a reference to a real-life person but a scanned and/or highly accurate representation of these people in a fictional world where they don't belong. Let's hope it's not too intrusive :-/
PSA: I have nothing against these YTers, I really like Alanah Pearce for instance. Happy even for those who are fans, looking forward to the game. In the end, if it were up to me I'd prefer all original characters other than those from the lore.

Top Bottom