Microsoft buys Zenimax for $7.5b

+
It's not good for the industry because it's a pretty anti-competitive move. Consolidation of these big publishers is never healthy, especially when one swallowing things is MS. And MS removes someone who was deteriorating their DX lock-in.
Not healthy? Some of the best game ever are exclusives. Look at Sony.

Personally I'm glad Microsoft is buying studios. Sony now will try their hardest not to be overshadowed by Microsoft and will increase the quality of their already great games. Microsoft will answer with even more great games.

And Bethesda will be forced to test their games now because Microsoft won't want one of its first party studios to look bad next to Naughty Dog or Insomniac lol

Gamers win.

Last edited:
Two thoughts.

1. This is very bad news for me personally as I am a fan of the Elder scrolls and won’t be able to play it on the PS5 that I will eventually buy.

2. The concept of exclusives is actually good in theory. When all games cross all platforms there is never any incentive to go back at the end of the console lifecycle and buy a cheap version of the other console. I did this with the Wii for 50 dollars and found several games that I truly enjoyed.

In conclusion, this is both a good and bad thing. It has negative immediate inpacts on some, but creates opportunities for others.

It's a good thing. Bethesda have been dragging their feet for years.
I mean it is a good thing, but after what microsoft did with minecraft and halo I can't really begin to imagine what this will be like. At least it wont be the way bethesda has been doing it. But it is an interesting development for sure. :shrug:
I'm happy it happened, I suppose.

Personally I'm glad Microsoft is buying studios. Sony now will try their hardest not to be overshadowed by Microsoft and will increase the quality of their already great games. Microsoft will answer with even more great games.

And Bethesda will be forced to test their games now because Microsoft won't want one of its first party studios to look bad next to Naughty Dog or Insomniac lol

Gamers win.
That's actually a really good point.

BBC Article
This means Bethesda's IP (Fallout, Elder Scrolls etc) is now owned by Microsoft.
So now that Microsoft owns both Bethesda and Obsidian, a true Fallout: New Vegas sequel could be a possibility.
DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDE :eek:

Why should I look at Sony? I can't play their games, so your counter example only strengthens my point. Exclusives are bad (they exclude gamers, that's why they are exclusives). And such publishers swallowing gaming studios is also bad. Publishers might win because monopolization will give them more control over the market. Everyone else loses.

Gamers win when games are released for more, not less people and when big publishers aren't the ones dictating things for everyone else.

I think the joy from gamers, misplaced or not, comes from the fact the studios need pushing to release and that Microsoft may direct/enable more releases.

Why wait 10 years for a fallout game? If i was a shareholder id be pissed at the squandering of such successful franchises. Cant do more? employ bigger teams... Marvel Universe doesnt wait so long, they pump that stuff out! Print $$$

Why should I look at Sony? I can't play their games, so your counter example only strengthens my point. Exclusives are bad (they exclude gamers, that's why they are exclusives). And such publishers swallowing gaming studios is also bad. Publishers might win because monopolization will give them more control over the market. Everyone else loses.

Gamers win when games are released for more, not less people and when big publishers aren't the ones dictating things for everyone else.

Sony plan to release more exclusives on PC in the future. In fact they've already started with Death Stranding, Horizon and Detroit. 99% chance Microsoft will do the same, so you're good.

I'm gonna just share some stuff, so like uh, no hate towards any side or anything. Just sharing my opinions.
I really personally pretty much almost never enjoyed any AAA title, regardless of what console it was on, or even if it was on PC. For some reason, AAA to me stands for Always Automatically Apathetic, in the sense that I can never force myself to care. I used to feel bad because one thing was an exclusive and I couldn't play it, or I could play it and I was always disappointed. Right now I'm at a stage where I'm just relieved that I don't have to play any exclusives or AAA titles. I'm just free. It feels like pressure has been lifted off of me. (Personally I don't consider Cyberpunk2077 a AAA title because I feel that would be an insult to CDPR. I just consider it work of art. a Masterpiece. a good game that has a good story and good gameplay, from what I have seen so far at least)

Just my thoughts.

Sony plan to release more exclusives on PC in the future. In fact they've already started with Death Stranding, Horizon and Detroit. 99% chance Microsoft will do the same, so you're good.
Well hey that's sorta cool. Too bad I've lost all interest in microsoft or sony a long time ago. But I'm happy for the people who are happy about it.

@fridgeband: We are in agreement, I simply don't care about most of the so called "AAA" games, especially since I'm a Linux gamer and only play what's possible to play on Linux (either natively or in Wine) and I also buy DRM-free games only in stores like GOG. So most of these "AAA" just pass my be. Not all though, some are released DRM-free and work on Linux as well.

But that doesn't mean that such move by MS is not harmful overall. It's just another step in the trend. While I don't care about Bethesda in particular (except for their older games like Morrowind and etc.), MS also swallowed several studios like inXile and Obsidian which did release DRM-free Linux games. Which means no more such games from them from now on. Should I cheer such developments? If anything, I see MS as a hostile entity.

I see MS as a hostile entity.

From your perspective (linux user), agree. However most are windows users and at this point happy - with the belief of more game releases / better schedule VS the undesirable consolidation of game studios by mega corps.

Last edited:
@fridgeband: We are in agreement, I simply don't care about most of the so called "AAA" games, especially since I'm a Linux gamer and only play what's possible to play on Linux (either natively or in Wine) and I also buy DRM-free games only in stores like GOG. So most of these "AAA" just pass my be. Not all though, some are released DRM-free and work on Linux as well.

But that doesn't mean that such move by MS is not harmful overall. It's just another step in the trend. While I don't care about Bethesda in particular (except for their older games like Morrowind and etc.), MS also swallowed several studios like inXile and Obsidian which did release DRM-free Linux games. Which means no more such games from them from now on. Should I cheer such developments? If anything, I see MS as a hostile entity.
I have very mixed feelings about the whole thing. Sometimes I feel like microsoft acts like EA, but then again, I felt the same way about bethesda. I'm not a huge huge fan of microsoft as I said considering how they handled minecraft and halo, so I almost feel like this whole situation was in a weird way like a snake swallowing its own tail. It's like EA ate another EA, and will probably keep acting the same way. Microsoft's Bethesda games will probably change a lot compared to how Bethesda was, but I also expect a bunch of new things to be both fixed, but also introduced by Microsoft that will make me and many others more happy, but also much much more upset as well. So in essence, I feel like a LOT has changed, but also nothing has changed. It's a really weird feeling. I will personally be staying far away from anything that acts like EA. Just saying.

From your perspective (linux user), agree. However most are windows users and at this point happy - with the belief of more game releases / better schedule VS the undesirable consolidation of game studios by mega corps.
The way you quoted Gilrond-i-Virdan's post makes it appear as if I am saying something about microsoft that I did not in fact say. It's a really weird edit of a quote Triffid, I'm just saying o_O I did not say I think microsoft as a "hostile entity". Perhaps you could edit that to include their full quote so that it does not appear as if I said something I didn't say? (it's really unusual how quoting works, in the way that my quote of your quote of their quote, doesn't show what I'm talking about which is really weird. Also thank you for editing it. Much appreciated)

Last edited:
Fixed.
I accidentally didnt delete all of the text in the quote. Your name shouldnt have been there
Ah hey no worries, I just was concerned it would stay like that for a whole week or something. I appreciate it. Also to be even more clear, I really do not like microsoft or EA either for that matter, but just saying I myself personally wouldn't use that exact wording. Just saying.

I think some people do realize, that consolidation into megacoprs is a bad thing even if they are Windows gamers. But unfortunately most realize it too late. That's what cyberpunk is in part about, isn't it?

I think some people do realize, that consolidation into megacoprs is a bad thing even if they are Windows gamers. But unfortunately most realize it too late. That's what cyberpunk is in part about, isn't it?

Yeah but them games tho.
Seriously, the releases are too few & far between. 10yr wait with people growing old, begging to throw $$ at you. Ridiculous.
Get the funding & resourcing and pump the stuff out at a decent rate. Otherwise its just squandering a market thats on a platter.

I think people have a bit of faith in MS. Sure, its going to be in MS's best interests, and things wont always go our way (fair practice), but if it means better stewardship of IPs then its better for gamers than the current situation.

Last edited:

"Even if they are Windows gamers"? What?

Gilrond, don't put down people that play other platforms, thanks.

Well, taking over by MS has already proved beneficial for Obsidian and inXile. First was in financial trouble and being taken over by MS allowed them to finish "The Outer Worlds" and work on new projects. "inXile" was able to greatly extend voice lines in "Wasteland 3", thanks to MS dollars. Crowdfunding is all and good, but stable financing is still better. In case of Zenimax I hope that MS will clean up the crap out of Bethesda's and force them to look more at single-player games. Even better, now it's possible for Obsidian to make Fallout: New Vegas 2, or at least "F:NV remaster".

Gilrond, don't put down people that play other platforms, thanks.

I think Gilrond was saying that we should all recognize that its a bad thing, 'even windows users, who wont be as adversely affected as others (linux users)'
Post automatically merged:

Well, taking over by MS has already proved beneficial for Obsidian and inXile. First was in financial trouble and being taken over by MS allowed them to finish "The Outer Worlds" and work on new projects. "inXile" was able to greatly extend voice lines in "Wasteland 3", thanks to MS dollars. Crowdfunding is all and good, but stable financing is still better. In case of Zenimax I hope that MS will clean up the crap out of Bethesda's and force them to look more at single-player games. Even better, now it's possible for Obsidian to make Fallout: New Vegas 2, or at least "F:NV remaster".

This. I'm expecting better things.
Better command and availability of funding & resourcing. Less wait, & better quality to boot.
Microsoft have great experience in delivering software projects. They know the value of the gaming market and i dont believe they will let it go to waste.

Cough Cough CDPR, please use the profits to build divisions so we not waiting so long for the next 2077 game.

Last edited:

That wasn't my quote. I'm answering this:

However most are windows users and at this point happy - with the belief of more game releases / better schedule VS the undesirable consolidation of game studios by mega corps.

@Sardukhar: So I was saying that not every Windows user is happy with that. Or you mean every should be? That would make it much worse.

And it is a bad thing for everyone, but those who are happy with that realize it usually when it's too late.

Given how bad many of Bethesda's last few offerings have been I can't help but think things will improve ... because if they get much worse Bethesda might as well close their doors.

Top Bottom