Thoughts on influencers/youtubers being NPCs in the game

+

Are you OK with having youtubers in the game as NPCs and having quests tied to them?

• Yes.

• No.

• Should be smaller easter egg like the farting trolls in Witcher 3.

• Don't care.

Results are only viewable after voting.
*Hope the ingame police won't bugs me for killing Real Life youtubers on sight*

Too late.

They talk endlessly about immersion and then they do this.
(And referencing similar posts)

I can understand that some might raise eyebrows at this and that (or because) it lowers their suspension of disbelief as it reminds them too much of known people outside this fictional universe - in reality.

But on the other hand I feel the argument went out the window because it started with Keanu Reeves, so one shouldn't be overly surprised to have an occasional cameo or face of a real person. Frankly, come to think of it, we always have to use the voice of real people anyway, so is putting their face in that much bewildering?

I really don't think I'm a "sheeple" if I argue that while its a notable thing, the negative effect on gameplay or fun, immersion, etc is about zero (0) for me. At the same time, from the marketing perspective it probably helps them a lot to sell more.

More sales, more earnings, more profit in turn meaning more financial power and abilities to positively influence the coming games and community interactions beyond the games themselves. More staff, more investments, other tech. If it takes a few known or very famous people to be fully (not just voice) represented, why not?

I like to think I benefit as consumer without any notable drawbacks. But alas, that is just me. Some like it, some are indifferent, some dislike it. But its probably not the end of the world, given that they don't seem to be main characters forced upon you either (not counting Reeves).

I dislike having internet influencers in the game. At least Hollywood actors can do quality voice acting as well.

Except most hollywood actors are not both, some of the best voice actors for games/cartoons/anime are NOT hollywood actors.
Many Influencers do act, and do read scripts. It is up to the director and those who write the material to make sure it comes off right. And that is what multiple takes are for.

More sales, more earnings, more profit in turn meaning more financial power and abilities to positively influence the coming games and community interactions beyond the games themselves. More staff, more investments, other tech. If it takes a few known or very famous people to be fully (not just voice) represented, why not?

I can use that argument for what EA and Rockstar does. All the sales, earnings and profits for GTA5 and we still have not gotten a SP DLC?

All the money EA makes and yet every year NFL Madden looks the same with no revolutionary improvements?

Sorry to be the one to tell you there is no Santa Claus but more profits does not always mean a better gameplay experience for the consumer.

why the developers did change Judy face?
Why ?

she looked better than this
I have never seen this before. I had no idea that this was the case. In that case, in my opinion new Judy looks more realistic and beautiful. Just to clarify, I only remember seeing one Judy, and it was the other one. (the one that isn't the one in that image) just saying.

Wait wait, are you saying that Judy was recently changed to the Judy in that image?
Now I'm worried. Have ALL the characters suddenly been changed? Is the image you posted 2020 updated Judy? I don't want to assume anything, but if so, what is going on in CDPR? I hope this is just a photoshop edit. :oops: :eek:
I dislike having internet influencers in the game. At least Hollywood actors can do quality voice acting as well.
Except most hollywood actors are not both, some of the best voice actors for games/cartoons/anime are NOT hollywood actors.
Many Influencers do act, and do read scripts. It is up to the director and those who write the material to make sure it comes off right. And that is what multiple takes are for.
I gotta agree with both of you to some extent. I actually don't like MOST hollywood actors. I like a small amount of them a lot, but that's it. I actually like voice actors more, the ones that have a famous voice, but are not too well known in real life.
I can use that argument for what EA and Rockstar does. All the sales, earnings and profits for GTA5 and we still have not gotten a SP DLC?

All the money EA makes and yet every year NFL Madden looks the same with no revolutionary improvements?

Sorry to be the one to tell you there is no Santa Claus but more profits does not always mean a better gameplay experience for the consumer.
This is also true, but I'm very glad that I am buying a game from CDPR and not EA or Rockstar.

Last edited:
Way to break immersion. Thankfully, I don't know many of them.
This makes no sense. If you don't know them, then would you be able to point out which NPC's in the game are based off of streamers.... without people pointing them out to you? If not, then how does it break immersion again?

Had you not have any prior knowledge about it, and nobody said anything, it would still be the same game, and the immersion wouldn't be broken... right? Meanwhile, CDPR is being transparent about its game, and here we are.

This makes no sense. If you don't know them, then would you be able to point out which NPC's in the game are based off of streamers.... without people pointing them out to you? If not, then how does it break immersion again?

Had you not have any prior knowledge about it, and nobody said anything, it would still be the same game, and the immersion wouldn't be broken... right? Meanwhile, CDPR is being transparent about its game, and here we are.

Again going back to the basic question, why put them in the game? These are not A-list celebrities. These are D-list internet "celebrities" but what value do they bring?

Again going back to the basic question, why put them in the game? These are not A-list celebrities. These are D-list internet "celebrities" but what value do they bring?
Already touched up on that here: https://forums.cdprojektred.com/ind...cs-in-the-game.11033093/page-14#post-12172574

So, now answer my question... if you don't know who they are and can't identify them yourself without someone else pointing them out to you, how does it break immersion for you?

This is why I asked before if people could put whoever is in the game in spoiler tags, because then there's a chance of running into the character in the game and not realizing that (s)he is a youtuber. I realized later that I shouldn't have bothered, as it is plastered all over the forums, reddit, and youtube. I could've blocked all CP2077 news, but I couldn't do it. I couldn't resist the other content.

Ok, here's my take on it: It depends. Someone like Madqueen, who has championed the game FOR YEARS and is fanatical about getting Cyberpunk, it's lore and the whole shot out there. I think it would be a really cool gesture on the part of CDPR to acknowledge her efforts... and I'm pretty sure such a thing would mean the world to her ( Ironically, I think she HAS been asked about something along those lines, but for whatever reason, has refused...But I digress.). Now, if it's just some shmo who has put out a podcast or two? Not so much. I would love to have Mike Ponsmith to make a cameo though.

Already touched up on that here: https://forums.cdprojektred.com/ind...cs-in-the-game.11033093/page-14#post-12172574

So, now answer my question... if you don't know who they are and can't identify them yourself without someone else pointing them out to you, how does it break immersion for you?

Well I do know who

1) So you are saying that CDPR is telling the influencers thanks for whatever reasons? Then how come Madqueen, Last Known Meal, NeonArcade etc? Last time I checked, it was THESE people that have been following and pushing the discussion of CP2077 since 2017 before the big E3 2018 blow out. People like Alanah only jumped on post E3 2018 when it became trendy to and even then never to the same depth, care and passion as those I mentioned above.

And what about the fans? Why not do what Bioware did with DAI and bring in fan(s) to lend their voice to a NPC?

2) If this is for marketing I do not see how? Do these NPCs give a shout out to their YT channel? Further breaking immersion? Or is this some passive aggressive bribe/deal in which these "influencers" essentially bind themselves to CDPR and always praise the game, talk about it and hype it? Seems like an odd wag of doing it as it is essentially a quid pro quo relationship, not natural.

3) Unfortunately I know a good number of them. Perhaps there may be others I dont know about but the ones that have been announced, I do. I dont follow them or watch their content, but I am aware of them. So yes, for me seeing them is a bit of immersion breaking. The reason why it isnt for Keanu is cause he is a professional actor whom I am used to seeing in different roles. However Alanah is not, she is a real person who always plays herself and is not a professional, just a normal person like myself and you.

Well I do know who

1) So you are saying that CDPR is telling the influencers thanks for whatever reasons? Then how come Madqueen, Last Known Meal, NeonArcade etc? Last time I checked, it was THESE people that have been following and pushing the discussion of CP2077 since 2017 before the big E3 2018 blow out. People like Alanah only jumped on post E3 2018 when it became trendy to and even then never to the same depth, care and passion as those I mentioned above.

And what about the fans? Why not do what Bioware did with DAI and bring in fan(s) to lend their voice to a NPC?

2) If this is for marketing I do not see how? Do these NPCs give a shout out to their YT channel? Further breaking immersion? Or is this some passive aggressive bribe/deal in which these "influencers" essentially bind themselves to CDPR and always praise the game, talk about it and hype it? Seems like an odd wag of doing it as it is essentially a quid pro quo relationship, not natural.

3) Unfortunately I know a good number of them. Perhaps there may be others I dont know about but the ones that have been announced, I do. I dont follow them or watch their content, but I am aware of them. So yes, for me seeing them is a bit of immersion breaking. The reason why it isnt for Keanu is cause he is a professional actor whom I am used to seeing in different roles. However Alanah is not, she is a real person who always plays herself and is not a professional, just a normal person like myself and you.
1. And who says they're not in the game? Maybe they didn't get a chance to reveal it yet? Maybe they won't tell you until you find them in the game? I don't know... I don't work for CDPR and cannot speak to their decisions. I can only speculate on myriad of reasons, same as you.

2. Overall, none of this really matters to me one bit and it won't take anything away from MY enjoyment of the game. If you don't like it? Well... tough shit... take a couple deep breaths, count to ten, and learn how to deal with it. I really don't know what to tell you.

1. And who says they're not in the game? Maybe they didn't get a chance to reveal it yet? Maybe they won't tell you until you find them in the game? I don't know... I don't work for CDPR and cannot speak to their decisions. I can only speculate on myriad of reasons, same as you.

2. Overall, none of this really matters to me one bit and it won't take anything away from MY enjoyment of the game. If you don't like it? Well... tough shit... take a couple deep breaths, count to ten, and learn how to deal with it. I really don't know what to tell you.
Instructions weren't clear enough. I ended up exhaling in a hyperventilating type of fashion and then counted from 10 to 0 and learned how to be more upset. :oops:
>That feel when lemons give you life
>what?

(jk)
But seriously, I worry who else we have yet to find. On one side I am worried that I know all the main romance options because of that twitch stream with the supposed-CDPR-guy who said all of that, but on the other side I'm worried who I have yet to find. Just gonna walk into a ripperdoc clinic and "HELLO EVERYONE IT IS I, MARKIPLIER" :facepalm: :LOL:

Nah its the situation where we knew who they are or learned now but don't watch their content.
Its less immersion breaking when its an actor since you are used to them acting and expect them to bring something more than their likeness to the game.

Celebrity inserts at this level are immersion breaking because you KNOW they are not actors, just fourth wall breaking fanservice.

Something like farting trolls encounter in Witcher 3 was handled better, and majority of the people playing the game did not even understood the reference.

Top Bottom