Why did NG suddenly fall to the bottom?

+
That's true about every faction. And among those factions, NG got the worst results. So, yes, NG is strong, and NG does win. Just that all the other factions are stronger, and NG wins the least.

I would beg to differ about the "every other faction is more powerful than NG" statement as I main MOs and after the latest nerfs/removals to leader abilities and cards it has been a lot more difficult to get good results reliably.
With the exception of the Kiki Queen deck and a custom Carapace Keltullis there's not much else you can trust.
(currently at Rank 9).

- I get better consistency and results with SY Congregate.
This meta seems to favor swarm decks, so some kind of Hybrid Assimilation NG deck could fare better.

Last edited:
NG has never been much of a strong deck. It's just annoying as hell to play against, and people complain over Vincent or Yen Invocation all the time, although these two are literally the only truly strong deploy cards in NG

If you detest NG at this moment of time you will detest them until the end of time no matter what. They are at their weakest ever.

Sure, locks are anti-fun but you usually lose out on raw value with them. Masquerade Ball is dull but right now it's a crutch if anything.
Assimilate can be a RNG fiesta but it can also be one of the most strategic decks depending on how you build it. In my experience it's the only shot NG has at beating SK in pro rank, which speaks volumes. SK has such strong cards that NG has to steal them to even have a chance.

As long as you don't stack very tall you will usually beat NG with raw value, pointslam.
Which is why SK controls better than NG right now. They exceed in raw value AND control. Instead of just locking your unit they will remove it entirely.
Even symbiosis does this with better results than NG.
So tell me, how is current bottom tier NG more annoying than this?

Last edited:
- I've grown out of my hateful stance towards NG by playing the faction.
Ofc i'm not saying that I love the faction but now I understand a lil bit better how it works.

- Atm I only play DC (Double Cross) assimilation, trying to learn to play it well and I'm trying to find interesting artifacts-neutrals that offer funny/good results.
So far I had great fun using the artifact sword that lets you play a copy of a card if you kill it (2dmg).
The deck is performing quite well even on ranked ! :)

If you detest NG at this moment of time you will detest them until the end of time no matter what. They are at their weakest ever.

Sure, locks are anti-fun but you usually lose out on raw value with them. Masquerade Ball is dull but right now it's a crutch if anything.
Assimilate can be a RNG fiesta but it can also be one of the most strategic decks depending on how you build it. In my experience it's the only shot NG has at beating SK in pro rank, which speaks volumes. SK has such strong cards that NG has to steal them to even have a chance.

As long as you don't stack very tall you will usually beat NG with raw value, pointslam.
Which is why SK controls better than NG right now. They exceed in raw value AND control. Instead of just locking your unit they will remove it entirely.
Even symbiosis does this with better results than NG.
So tell me, how is current bottom tier NG more annoying than this?
Agreed, current SK and also NR restrict deck building way more than NG ever did. You go wide and tall? Get destroyed by SK. You only go tall? Get destroyed by NR! Gwent has a serious balancing problem right now.

I think no more bigger problems than Gwent had in the past. It's always same story over and over again, and that's quite normal for card game. Now when I think about past to be honest Nilfgaard probably was always the most problematic faction. I can't really think about any other faction that had so many problematic mechanics and board interactions as NF, some of them were so broken devs had to remove them from the game or rework them compleatly. I think Burza mentioned something about some sort of overhaul planed at the end of the month. ( Latest Merchants of novigrad podcast ) Imo NF right now is in somewhat messy state. Somehow I'm failing to see archetypes in this faction, decks are like some wierd mix of different archetypes smashed together ( maybe some poison, maybe some spies, some soldiers on top ) just mish mash. I would like to see some soldiers deck like they use to have in beta or Toussaint Knights. Like I said before NF is still playable without problems Imo but something just feels wrong... maybe not to good bronze cards, maybe some binary gold cards that you are forced to use in your decks. Hard to say, we can just wait and see what will happen next patch.

Locks are anti-fun, sure, but are do indeed bring low numbers to the table and as such aren't the focal point of all the hate. It's direct removal that operates outside of game of numbers that feels like a cheat. VVM isn't a super cost-efficient card, but he comes as a part of package offer with YenInvo and at least four instances of poison, usually more than that. Worse yet, they have dedicated engines benefitting from this, so numbers aren't too shabby either.

It's their combined effect that makes your opponents ponder the meaning of life somberly, so nerfing individual cards won't really get us anywhere. I, for one, think that poison mechanic was a horrible mistake in the first place, and that Veil is a poor solution that doesn't exactly impede NG, because they have a lot of other ways to nuke their target, but definitely hurt bleeding cards and locks of other factions that weren't that great in the first place.

( Vilge is an especially mean card. while he can backfire occasionally, most of the time it's an unconditional kill+another bricked card for your opponent, and a 5 points body. That's a bit too much for a single card, innit?)

The thing is, for as long as there're so many options that bypass direct numerical conditions/restrictions, such as poison, the game will be impossible to balance, because at its core, the game revolves around adding and subtracting numbers, and any digressions from this core principle are bound to cause a lot of trouble.

I am not saying those shouldn't exist at all, mind you. They just should either have a decently complicated condition that actually makes them less safe (conditions like "having a status" are pretty laughable), or high cost.
Geralt:Igni/professional is a good example of a card that is ultimately healthy for the game. Expensive, strict conditions that are actually dictated by numbers also can win you a game if you do it right.

Still...NG Ball is just the most infamous instance of a much worse overarching problem the game has: prevalence of instant removal over point-generation. This is the real reason why cards that do things like "deal 2 damage or 4 if it's boosted" see little play - why would you want to trade measely points if you can just shut down a potentially troublesome engine right away?
MM has great options for going wide, sure, but is it really okay to be shoehorned into particular playstyles because the alternatives are just plain worse?

This dynamic is really unhealthy and can only result in more dead cards and playstyles. I am well aware that overabundance of removal is meant to keep engines in check, but it just makes many of them borderline unplayable and that's it... except for the ones that need to be kept in check the most. Those usually persevere.

so, again, to even start balancing things, we would first need to take down both removal AND engines a few good notches down, so that their interaction is no longer binary and small damage pings mean something again.

That in turn means revisiting and probably completely overhauling mechanics like duel, poison, shield, certain tutors, many instakill cards and so much more. Needless to say, this isn't a very probable thing to happen.

Just reinstalled and tried two games with Assimilate since people were saying it was strong, both games resets and tall removal just destroyed me. Quickly uninstalled again after that. This isn't competitive whatsoever lol.

Just reinstalled and tried two games with Assimilate since people were saying it was strong, both games resets and tall removal just destroyed me. Quickly uninstalled again after that. This isn't competitive whatsoever lol.
People saying Assimilate is viable right now have no idea how to play against it and probably pack little to zero control. All in a long round three. Then it CAN be good.

People saying Assimilate is viable right now have no idea how to play against it and probably pack little to zero control. All in a long round three. Then it CAN be good.
Maybe I was just super unlucky. But I don't see a deck that's this matchup reliant being competitive. I did get long round 3s but the second my opponent packs any sort of reset/tall removal my precious assimilate units are worthless.
Not that I think I'd want Assimilate to be strong really, sounds kinda awful for the game. I'm fine with it being a meme.

Maybe I was just super unlucky. But I don't see a deck that's this matchup reliant being competitive. I did get long round 3s but the second my opponent packs any sort of reset/tall removal my precious assimilate units are worthless.
Not that I think I'd want Assimilate to be strong really, sounds kinda awful for the game. I'm fine with it being a meme.
This meta is just one of the most aggressive ones I've ever seen. Even Devotion NR, which used to be very engine focused, can now control incredibly well with Shieldwall. Defenders used to be very hard to kill with damage, thus everyone packed purifies. Now Hjalmar just needs to banish the new and precious 10 power 6 provisions Greatswords and nearly everything is erased from the board. Fun.

Well I can confidently say I'm a good player and know how NG cards work, I have to because I face them more than any other faction. No matter how much I try to play around it they have an answer. Even running organic removal and veiled units I still lost the last 3 matches against assimilate. It has very little to do with skill. Admittedly MO is pretty weak right now but even so NG has too many removal options. Even before the last patch they were near impossible to beat and even if you scrape through with a win it felt as though you just got lucky.

A perfect example of why the faction needs to be reworked is Ciri Nova. When the patch dropped everyone tried it but ironically the only faction that can successfully pilot it without risk is NG. Why? Because cards like Yenvo and several of their other cheap removal options are still within the restriction limit for Ciri at 9 provision or lower.

If you however use Ciri, it can be yenvod or Vilgafort can destroy or Vincent or any of their other removal options. On the other hand if you are on the receiving end there's very little any other faction can do, they either have a purify/heatwave or forget about it...Same with defenders. A single faction is forcing binary play because you either have an answer for it or you lose. No other faction is that imbalanced and it comes down to
1. Too many tutors of which NG has several

2. Too many removal options of which NG is again dominant

Well I can confidently say I'm a good player and know how NG cards work, I have to because I face them more than any other faction. No matter how much I try to play around it they have an answer. Even running organic removal and veiled units I still lost the last 3 matches against assimilate. It has very little to do with skill. Admittedly MO is pretty weak right now but even so NG has too many removal options. Even before the last patch they were near impossible to beat and even if you scrape through with a win it felt as though you just got lucky.

A perfect example of why the faction needs to be reworked is Ciri Nova. When the patch dropped everyone tried it but ironically the only faction that can successfully pilot it without risk is NG. Why? Because cards like Yenvo and several of their other cheap removal options are still within the restriction limit for Ciri at 9p or lower.

If you however use Ciri, it can be yenvod or Vilgafort can destroy or Vincent or any of their other removal options. On the other hand if you are on the receiving end there's very little any other faction can do, they either have a purify/heatwave or forget about it...Same with defenders. A single faction is forcing binary play because you either have an answer for it or you lose. No other faction is that imbalanced and it comes down to

I think it's better if I don't answer to this. Can't take this post seriously having lost 2-0 to MO several times already with NG Assimilate.

A perfect example of why the faction needs to be reworked is Ciri Nova. When the patch dropped everyone tried it but ironically the only faction that can successfully pilot it without risk is NG. Why? Because cards like Yenvo and several of their other cheap removal options are still within the restriction limit for Ciri at 9 provision or lower.

I actually do play MO with Ciri: Nova. It's my main deck now.

However, I do feel that NG is above MO. To me, it's pretty much SK > NR > ST > SY > NG > MO.

Just finished with my play session tonight at rank 9, full of SK and NR decks... i just wanna vomit.
SK and NR need a hard kick in the ass and a week of isolation in a cold, dark and wet dungeon if you ask me.

- NG can be annoying but hell, this sh!t has been taken to a whole other level.
I don't feel like playing anymore and i still have to grind 2 lvls/day to make it to journey lvl 175.
I don't think i will be playing after this journey if the whole SK/NR issue isn't aswered properly .

- I only have disgust and disdain towards SK and NR users, ofc it's CDPR's fault but hell, i don't care as it doesn't change the end result . <<end of rant>> /spit :disapprove:

Good night folks.

Last edited:
How would people feel about NG getting a way to play opponent's bronze specials other than Triss and diplomacy? Assimilate can be very awkward to play against something like Symbiosis, this could help with that.
Maybe a 6p bronze playing only opponent bronze specials?

Last edited:

ya1

Forum regular
I would beg to differ about the "every other faction is more powerful than NG" statement as I main MOs and after the latest nerfs/removals to leader abilities and cards it has been a lot more difficult to get good results reliably.
With the exception of the Kiki Queen deck and a custom Carapace Keltullis there's not much else you can trust.
(currently at Rank 9).

MO still got that devotion frost deathwish list going for them. It's not top tier and got almost no removal but no NG meta deck can keep up with those points even after developing the Ball twice.

BTW were I to digress, ppl always complain about NG toxicity but overlook that MO can push even harder in the direction of cancerous, tilting game play. Look at the clog list (https://www.playgwent.com/en/decks/f2af0143005a9c31bbc24358f2f1e453 spams Haunt and Dethlaff, Golyat in R1 just to force a pass, making like 55 points in 3 turns, and then cheaply clogs enemy rows within 4-5 turns in R3 with 3-4 Noonwraiths from Caranthir and Operator followed by Ritual Sacrifice and Meanhorn/consumes, finishes with Jotuun and Glusty). If given R1 this is pretty much unbeatable and makes you discard 5-6 cards from long R3. No NG deck can go that far in disruptive toxicity. Or Keltullis. They say NG destroys a unit every turn. Well, it doesn't. But Keltullis really does.

The only difference was that those MO lists are rather meme, and Double Ball used to even be Tier 2 once upon a time. Well, now, they're all meme.

Last edited:

rrc

Forum veteran
Assimilate is as strong as how much the opponent is noob; that is inversely proportional to the skill of the enemy. Against a new player who doesn’t know how Assimilate work, it is the strongest and most greediest deck. Every turn can sometimes gets 30 or 40 points each. But against skilled players Assimilate falls flat. I just beat Assimilate with my tier 3 Guerilla Tactics deck even though opponent plays all the standard cards.

Assimilate is super strong don’t get me wrong. If you don’t have cards to win R1 you are pretty much done since nothing in the game can beat assimilate in long R3. But if you know what to expect and how to play around it, you can easily beat it. But nonetheless I fear assimilate decks and play very very carefully against it.

Just made a random Doubla ball deck.

Puts all the poison and block i could find and its super OP (my deck its so random that i have 1 provision left. Problbaly i could make a better deck)

I didnt played on rank matches, buyt i win every math i played (maybe i got luck, because i could use double ball in R1 and R3)..

So, i dunno where is the super nerf ppl are blaming in this topic.

For assimilate i had an idea, but i will create another topic

Assimilate is as strong as how much the opponent is noob; that is inversely proportional to the skill of the enemy. Against a new player who doesn’t know how Assimilate work, it is the strongest and most greediest deck. Every turn can sometimes gets 30 or 40 points each. But against skilled players Assimilate falls flat. I just beat Assimilate with my tier 3 Guerilla Tactics deck even though opponent plays all the standard cards.

Assimilate is super strong don’t get me wrong. If you don’t have cards to win R1 you are pretty much done since nothing in the game can beat assimilate in long R3. But if you know what to expect and how to play around it, you can easily beat it. But nonetheless I fear assimilate decks and play very very carefully against it.
I doubt that very much. Your using a mirror match to justify your point, I'm sure you see the problem with that.

You're correct in that assimilate is greedy but just how many removal options do you have to counter it? Assimilate gets triggered twice when they play a spy so their units can get outside removal range very quickly. If your playing Guerilla tactics of course you can ping your way to victory, damage is always better than boost. So assimilate will have trouble with SK and ST for that reason. The only other way to counter spies is unit less and not everyone has that option. At the end of the day you build your deck to compete against several factions not 1. I never play long rounds against NG. If I can't force or don't see certain cards by R2 and I'm at card disadvantage in most cases I just forfeit rather than waste both our time because I know they can counter everything I have plus assimilate

Top Bottom