Insane Grind for Journey Cosmetics with 175 Levels?

+
I hope they DON"T do any extra crown events. this event the prizes actually have meaning and at least some measure of value because its not easily accessible everyone.

I have managed to juggle r/l stuff and consistently getting 2 levels a day + all quests. It have not been an entirely "enjoyable" experience but as long as they don't do something similar to a " triple bonus crowns " event before ending it will still have "meaning"

If they do offer massive crown bonus near the end it will be not just be a slap in face to everyone who has managed to progress this with the current criteria but also a massive kick to the jewels and make all the effort meaningless to this point if in the end its accessible to everyone.

IB4 ( what about the slap in the face to everyone who doesn't = answered in previous posts )
You are kiding, right?

There is no reason to dislike extra crown events.

I AM already at level 165 and i Will be pleasure If devs do an extra crown event, thats means i Will receive extra rps.

Also, i am at this level because i really enjoy The game (only for The last days i AM getting tired in face meta decks) and i Will problably be at this level without The Journey quest.

you however missed and are still missing the actual reason which it is not enjoyable which still makes your statement inaccurate.

That is incorrect you did not .

In your example I lose. I don't believe in the everyone gets access to everything philosophy.

My determination of value is based on rarity and exclusivity

If everyone gets "ciri greatest fan title" then it is no longer exclusive or rare so I lose you "not all was won"

it's not that black and white as you make it . You may make less small sales but they could be offset with fewer larger sales there for you could end up with a higher amount of chrn on one type of customer but on the other side increased profits on the other though fewer larger sales.

I was all set to concede your point about the quote. Then I realized, your point is inconsequential to mine. Whatever your reason for not liking the grind you still didn’t like the grind. I will concede you have a low opinion of the game. I will concede that you felt I missed your point. In any event you stated the grind was not a great experience.

To your point about rarity and exclusivity I respect your position. That said, it is not the best business model. This is not a contest to see who can be Ciri’s greatest fan. Anyone willing to pay 175$ U.S can instantly accomplish the objective. The goal of the devs is to give incentive to play more. People experience greater satisfaction when they strive to meet a goal. For a company to make maximum profit they need to ensure the greatest number of people buy in. If the goal is to easy then people will feel no sense of accomplishment. When the goal is to far people can fail or rage quit. None of the above scenarios is good business. With a 3 month scale like Journey they can afford to make adjustments. Your business model losses them money, mine makes them money. It is just that simple.

As for larger sales from a select few, you are missing the boat entirely. Small businesses dependent on a small customer base are always on the verge of collapse. All it takes is one of those big customers to leave and the bottom line suffers. The problem is magnified in Esports where matchmaking time and diversity in the player pool is literally essential for financial stability. They don’t want 100 big spenders, they want 10,000 small buyers getting them the same total. That way if they lose 20 people they don’t lose 20% of their revenue.

You are kiding, right?

There is no reason to dislike extra crown events.

No Im not.

The fact that I have stated a reason proves there is.

I was all set to concede your point about the quote. Then I realized, your point is inconsequential to mine. Whatever your reason for not liking the grind you still didn’t like the grind. I will concede you have a low opinion of the game. I will concede that you felt I missed your point. In any event you stated the grind was not a great experience.

To your point about rarity and exclusivity I respect your position. That said, it is not the best business model. This is not a contest to see who can be Ciri’s greatest fan. Anyone willing to pay 175$ U.S can instantly accomplish the objective. The goal of the devs is to give incentive to play more. People experience greater satisfaction when they strive to meet a goal. For a company to make maximum profit they need to ensure the greatest number of people buy in. If the goal is to easy then people will feel no sense of accomplishment. When the goal is to far people can fail or rage quit. None of the above scenarios is good business. With a 3 month scale like Journey they can afford to make adjustments. Your business model losses them money, mine makes them money. It is just that simple.

As for larger sales from a select few, you are missing the boat entirely. Small businesses dependent on a small customer base are always on the verge of collapse. All it takes is one of those big customers to leave and the bottom line suffers. The problem is magnified in Esports where matchmaking time and diversity in the player pool is literally essential for financial stability. They don’t want 100 big spenders, they want 10,000 small buyers getting them the same total. That way if they lose 20 people they don’t lose 20% of their revenue.

- You can believe what you want. it does not make fact.

I have stated many time I like the way this has been created and hope they continue setting the bar high with "awesome" stuff at the very top where not everyone will qualify I simply don't find the game itself "enjoyable" yet even not finding the game "enjoyable" unlike other who complain about the grind I balance my life and still manage to put the work and am on track to achieve the goal the devs have presented.

- I disagree with your interpretation of the business model "because reasons". (forum rules) Here is a repost my opinion from another topic you are free to disagree with it as well.

where is the incentive to by fast travel if all rewards are easily accessible it is a "no brainer " to buy ?

not all "paying customers " are equal.

if the option was

A: 12.00 for basic access and need to win 1000 rounds ( example) over three months to get everything
B: $200 for completion without grind

Which customer do you think is better from a business standpoint.

In the above example CDPR would need to make approximately 16 sales of "A" just to make up 1 sale of "B"

So the best solution is to make it "possible" ( possible does not = easy or accessale) to get some of the players to bite at A while still making it " time excessive " enough for the "b" players to not want to do it and just pay to avoid it.

which they have accomplished with this version of the journey (speaking as a "a" buyer" ) they had the right carrot and I deemed it "possible" to get the- carrot so I paid my basic fee.

IB4 but FTP system some may have it reverse and think free and casuals players are the backbone of the game.

It's been reported that a very small % of a FTP player base actually pays anything and fluctuates wildly.

FTP Is actually built on a small % of "spending players" "paying the bill" for the majority of the player population who never do. Which supports the "b" hypothesis.

Small businesses dependent on a small customer base are always on the verge of collapse

CD PROJEKT RED is a "billion dollar company" as such does not fall under the category of "small business" therefore your example is incorrect.

As per the below graph even if they were to lose "20%" of their revenue as stated in your from the "Gwent" division I doubt it would even be statistically significant when compared to the totals of the company as a whole as seen below.

Also considering the numbers below I personally do not think they are in any way on the "verge of collapse" or need to worry about a subset of players not being happy because they didn't get all the prizes.

CD Projekt S.A

Revenue
Increase
521.2 million zł (2019)
Operating income
Increase
189.1 million zł (2019)
Net income
Increase
175.3 million zł (2019)
Total assets
Increase
1.404 billion zł (2019)
Total equity
Increase
1.105 billion zł (2019)

from a previous post

Instead of punishing others for failing to put in the work

- Failing to qualify for a prize due to failure to put in the work is not a "punishment" it's simply not qualifying and meeting the event requirements.

yes I believe it should indeed work that way.

- If someone can't achieve the goal for any reason . ( time , money , or anything else)

-That is an issue with the player. it is not a problem with the game the devs or the event .

- yes its a fact you will have a subset that is not happy about it again that's part of business and a fact of life that you can't keep everyone happy all the time.

- as stated may times IMO events should NOT be geared to so that everyone ends up with everything

As stated before event like that would be nothing more than login rewards and easy daily quests to ensure that absolutely everyone even people who only play a couple matches a week get everything.

Last edited:
CD PROJEKT RED is a "billion dollar company" as such does not fall under the category of "small business" therefore your example is incorrect.

As per the below graph even if they were to lose "20%" of their revenue as stated in your from the "Gwent" division I doubt it would even be statistically significant when compared to the totals of the company as a whole as seen below.

Also considering the numbers below I personally do not think they are in any way on the "verge of collapse" or need to worry about a subset of players not being happy because they didn't get all the prizes.

CD Projekt S.A

Revenue
Increase
521.2 million zł (2019)
Operating income
Increase
189.1 million zł (2019)
Net income
Increase
175.3 million zł (2019)
Total assets
Increase
1.404 billion zł (2019)
Total equity
Increase
1.105 billion zł (2019)

from a previous post
You don't seem to realize that CDPR has a lot more going on than just Gwent. I'm sure the bulk of their revenues still come from the core Witcher games, mainly "The Witcher 3". If enough people stop playing Gwent and it ends up costing CDPR money to maintain, then they will eventually shut it down, regardless of the profitability of their other projects.

Also, losing enough players that spend little to no money will still hurt Gwent. Without plenty of active players, matchmaking starts taking a tremendous amount of time, and then, the so called "whales" start wondering whether it's really a good idea to dump tons of money on this game when they can't even find an opponent. Things can actually spiral downwards pretty quickly in this regard.

You don't seem to realize that CDPR has a lot more going on than just Gwent. I'm sure the bulk of their revenues still come from the core Witcher games, mainly "The Witcher 3". If enough people stop playing Gwent and it ends up costing CDPR money to maintain, then they will eventually shut it down, regardless of the profitability of their other projects.

Also, losing enough players that spend little to no money will still hurt Gwent. Without plenty of active players, matchmaking starts taking a tremendous amount of time, and then, the so called "whales" start wondering whether it's really a good idea to dump tons of money on this game when they can't even find an opponent. Things can actually spiral downwards pretty quickly in this regard.

I consider that statement inaccurate. . Since I was the who actually posted it is reasonable to assume I know what is going on.

If it does lose profitability IMO I would contributed it to a number of other factors. Two off the top of my head 1 being they were too generous with FTP players which means less less incentive /value for paying customers, 2. They screwed up the base game during beta and homecoming. ( remember the 6 month break which IMO made things worse in a lot of ways when they returned )

SInce neither of have a substantial fact in this matter and both of us save stated our opinion I personally consider this particular conversation closed and anything else on this point goes into the realm of "let's agree to disagree".

Your 2nd statement neglects the fact that for every player they lose its also conceivable they are gain new player .

It's also conceivable that all the "ranting on social media" is not even a statically significant % of the entire player base. As we don't have access to entire player bases stats. It's only an "guess" that there is enough players unhappy to actually affect que times.

Currently I am still getting near instant que time and we are more than halfway through the journey

- Along with the "p2w" " new player too hard " " casual player disadvantage"

- "keep ftp /causeal happy or ques or the whales will not have anyone to play" is the most common rant statement FTP/causal use across every FTP game I have played.

It has never happened in any FTP game I have personally played.

So again i stand behind what I said above .

"Also considering the numbers below I personally do not think they are in any way on the "verge of collapse" or need to worry about a subset of players not being happy because they didn't get all the prizes. "

SInce neither of have a substantial fact in this matter and both of us save stated our opinion I personally consider this particular conversation closed and anything else on this point goes into the realm of "let's agree to disagree".

Last edited:
I consider that statement inaccurate. . Since I was the who actually posted it is reasonable to assume I know what is going on.

If it does lose profitability IMO I would contributed it to a number of other factors. Two off the top of my head 1 being they were too generous with FTP players which means less less incentive /value for paying customers, 2. They screwed up the base game during beta and homecoming. ( remember the 6 month break which IMO made things worse in a lot of ways when they returned )

Your 2nd statement neglects the fact that for every player they lose its also conceivable they are gain new player .

It's also conceivable that all the "ranting on social media" is not even a statically significant % of the entire player base. As we don't have access to entire player bases stats. It's only an "guess" that there is enough players unhappy to actually affect que times.

Currently I am still getting near instant que time and we are more than halfway through the journey

- "keep ftp /causeal happy or ques or the whales will not have anyone to play" is the most common rant statement FTP/causal use across every FTP game I have played.

"Also considering the numbers below I personally do not think they are in any way on the "verge of collapse" or need to worry about a subset of players not being happy because they didn't get all the prizes. "

It's fine if you want to disagree with me and the rest of the people commenting on this and many of the other forum topics related to CDPR scaling back both content and rewards, but you should be aware of one thing. Namely that many of the people who are complaining about the state of Gwent are neither FTP nor casual. I've purchased both Journeys as well as a number of other items in the shop, and I have logged in every single day for more than 5 months, earning an average of at least 10 crowns per day over said period of time. Even now that I have most of the cards in the game, I can still be upset when CDPR makes decisions that will obviously result in fewer new players sticking around after finally discovering Gwent.

It's fine if you want to disagree with me and the rest of the people commenting on this and many of the other forum topics related to CDPR scaling back both content and rewards, but you should be aware of one thing. Namely that many of the people who are complaining about the state of Gwent are neither FTP nor casual. I've purchased both Journeys as well as a number of other items in the shop, and I have logged in every single day for more than 5 months, earning an average of at least 10 crowns per day over said period of time. Even now that I have most of the cards in the game, I can still be upset when CDPR makes decisions that will obviously result in fewer new players sticking around after finally discovering Gwent.

The real question is are the people that are "upset" & New player churn significantly and statistically relevant when compared to the entire player base and the amount of new players that become regular players when compared to the ones who don't .

There is no one outside the devs that know that answer. So as I said above there is no further reason continuing this topic without that information.

Last edited:
Namely that many of the people who are complaining about the state of Gwent are neither FTP nor casual.

On average, players who have invested something (time and/or money) are more likely to complain when things go south. This can skew the situation.

---------------------

Either way, normally, you would want to treat every costumer equally, but in this case, an exception can be made. When (a part of) the game is monetized and paying users are complaining about it then they are not getting their money's worth. This is more serious than F2P players complaining they are locked out of content. From a business perspective, losing paying costumers hurts more than losing the non-paying kind. That's why it's important to find a balance where both type of users are happy. Unfortunately, at the moment, it doesn't appear balanced at all and CDPR keeps pushing things further. My only hope is that they are doing this to see how far they can go in order to find the best balance. As such, I except the next Journey to be better optimized.

On average, players who have invested something (time and/or money) are more likely to complain when things go south. This can skew the situation.

---------------------

Either way, normally, you would want to treat every costumer equally, but in this case, an exception can be made. When (a part of) the game is monetized and paying users are complaining about it then they are not getting their money's worth. This is more serious then F2P players complaining they are locked out of content. From a business perspective, losing paying costumers hurts more than losing the non-paying kind. That's why it's important to find a balance where both type of users are happy. Unfortunately, at the moment, it doesn't appear balanced at all and CDPR keeps pushing things further. My only hope is that they are doing this to see how far they can go in order to find the best balance. As such, I except the next Journey to be better optimized.

How do you feel this is not balanced or optimized?

Do you feel that everyone should be able to get all major prizes at the end of the journey?

What changes would you make to "better" optimize the next journey.

How do you feel this is not balanced or optimized?

Do you feel that everyone should be able to get all major prizes at the end of the journey?

What changes would you make to "better" optimize the next journey.

In a free to play game that is fair to every player, all content (kegs/cosmetics) should be unlockable when spending time instead of money. Spending money just makes your progression go faster when you do not have enough time or when you want to support the devs. This doesn't mean everything should be given to everyone.

When content is being locked behind a paywall a distinction should be made between cosmetics and items that can make you stronger (i.e. kegs). The Journey is mostly about cosmetics, but players still feel disadvantaged when they cannot get the stuff they want. Here we get into some psychology (and I rather not). If same cosmetics from the Journey were exclusive to the store at a fair price, no one would complain. But now that it's actually achievable by playing, players feel the amount of time they have to spend is too much, creating an adverse effect.

Appearances is everything and the Journey doesn't appear to be fair in the eyes of the players and that's a problem. The solution is to make the Journey more accessible to F2P/casual players and make it easier (not necessarily faster) for paying players to complete the Journey. Finding the proper balance is difficult, but essential. Either way, for F2P players, having to spend 3 hours every day just to keep up is a bad design regardless.

Last edited:
In a free to play game that is fair to every player, all content (kegs/cosmetics) should be unlockable when spending time instead of money. Spending money just makes your progression go faster when you do not have enough time or when you want to support the devs. This doesn't mean everything should be given to everyone.

When content is being locked behind a paywall a distinction should be made between cosmetics and items that can make you stronger (i.e. kegs). The Journey is mostly about cosmetics, but players still feel disadvantaged when they cannot get the stuff they want.Here we get into some psychology (and I rather not). If same cosmetics from the Journey were exclusive to the store at a fair price, no one would complain. But now that it's actually achievable by playing, players feel the amount of time they have to spend is too much, creating and adverse effect.

Appearances is everything and the Journey doesn't appear to be fair in the eyes of the players and that's a problem. The solution is to make the Journey more accessible to F2P/casual players and make it easier (not necessarily faster) for paying players to complete the Journey. Finding the proper balance is difficult, but essential. Either way, for F2P players, having to spend 3 hours every day just to keep up is a bad design regardless.

I am a FTP player other than bacic access to premium track and work full time. I dont think its unfair or bad design.

So if i understand correctly players like me who are on track to complete the journey as the devs have laid it out are no different than someone who only puts in half the time? ( for example)

where do you draw the line ?

say its set at 100 if someone only makes it to 50 due to a busy life do they not also deserve the prizes at 100 to be "fair"

Last edited:
So if i understand correctly players like me who are on track to complete the journey as the devs have laid it out . are no different than someone who only puts in half the time ( for example)

say its set at 100 if someone only makes it to 50 due to a busy life do they not also deserve the prizes at 100 to be "fair"

To put it simple: when people don't have enough time to play, they have to pay (in order to keep up). Where you draw the line is a good question. It's important to note that Gwent isn't just about the Journey. There are other elements, like deck building, arena, ladder. If all the time and focus of a player is diverted to the Journey, that will constrict players and takes away the fun.

There are various other ways to keep paying consumers happy, instead of buying a season pass and leaving numerous F2P players in the cold. How to restructure the Journey is a difficult question. I think the fairest way to players (not necessarily the best for CDPR), is to remove the season pass and premium content altogether from the Journey. The content should be available to all for those that can spend a reasonable amount of time. For the rest, all the Journey content should also become available for purchase in the store as a bundle. Players will receive a discount based on the completion rate of the Journey. This means that for those that weren't able to finish the Journey in time, they will still be able to purchase the missing cosmetics for a discounted price in the store. This removes the pressure and makes it fair to everyone.

I am a FTP player other than bacic access to premium track and work full time. I dont think its unfair or bad design.

So if i understand correctly players like me who are on track to complete the journey as the devs have laid it out are no different than someone who only puts in half the time? ( for example)

It depends on what the prize actually is. If you got X number of RP would that satisfy you. What about X number of powder or X number of premium kegs. I will grant you that you deserve more for putting in the time and effort. That said, your desire for rarity is understandable, as is the feeling of being cheated if they change the rules to make more people get your rare prize. But, your benefit of getting rare prizes is quite simply not worth the consequences of making the prize rare. If it was a race they should have limited it to X number get the rare prize and everyone else gets a generic prize. This was never meant to be a contest. Treating Journey like a grinding contest doesn’t even work with things like fast pass. You simply need to see that in a CCG player base is more important than literally anything else. People hate paying for things and not getting their money’s worth. You could argue they knew what they were getting into, but that argument always leads to the same ending “you shouldn’t have bought it and you shouldn’t buy the next one unless you are going to have enough time.” If people think like that CDPR loses on both player base and player spending. It is just bad business. Your point is more valid for something like ranked rewards where you are in the top 500, 200, 100, 50, 10 ect...

I'll preface this by saying that I'm also on track to reach level 175. Now that that's out of the way, you really don't see how having all of the exclusive content rewarded within 100 levels is more fair than having it spread out over 165-175 levels?

With 100 levels, a player with a Premium pass could acquire everything unique while playing no more than an hour per day; this strategy also allows flexibility (e.g. playing two hours one day and not at all the next). Contrast this with 175 levels, where players have to play 2-3 hours a day, every single day for three months straight.

It seems really confusing that something you have to first pay $10 to even access incentivizes you to waste such an extreme amount of your time. In addition, it's important to note that this isn't a one-time event; the goal is to always have a Journey in place. Therefore, if they continue using the current model, then CDPR is incentivizing their paying customers to play 2-3 hours a day forever.

[
"Now, to your above point. You didn’t totally enjoy the grind."

Misrepresentation.

Please state in my post where I said I didn't like the grind. I have stated I don't like the "game" itself and given reasons why in various posts regarding what the devs have done to it since beta.

Hello.

I'm a bit curious.

Did you enjoy the grind or not?

If you did: How did you manage to enjoy the grind in a game you don't like?

By the way.

If they did an extra-crown event it wouldn't be a slap on the face for everyone who managed to finish with the current criteria.

I'd totally be ok with it. The sun shines for everyone ;)

Now I discover when you wins a level in journey higher to 100, yoy d´ont have any reward!!

Really? You need to complete some levels for win something in the contracts for arrive to 105, 115, 125 etc...???

I d´ont like it, I prefer win 2 or 3 RP for level. Money in the bank for the RP´s please.

Now I discover when you wins a level in journey higher to 100, yoy d´ont have any reward!!

Really? You need to complete some levels for win something in the contracts for arrive to 105, 115, 125 etc...???

I d´ont like it, I prefer win 2 or 3 RP for level. Money in the bank for the RP´s please.
You do get RP, but after today's "event" (Gwent servers were offline) the game has additional bugs (not giving RP is one of them).

You do get RP, but after today's "event" (Gwent servers were offline) the game has additional bugs (not giving RP is one of them).

Thanks, I didn't know. I am in the first levels after 100, and just this time I have noticed. Coincidence that the problem of the servers passes.

-In a free to play game that is fair to every player,
- The Journey is mostly about cosmetics, but players still feel disadvantaged when they cannot get the stuff they
-players feel the amount of time they have to spend is too much, creating an adverse effect.
-Appearances is everything and the Journey doesn't appear to be fair in the eyes of the players and that's a problem.
-Either way, for F2P players, having to spend 3 hours every day just to keep up is a bad design regardless.

-To put it simple: when people don't have enough time to play, they have to pay (in order to keep up).
- pass and leaving numerous F2P players in the cold. How to restructure the Journey is a difficult question.
- I think the fairest way to players (not necessarily the best for CDPR), is to remove the season pass and premium content altogether from the Journey.
-The content should be available to all for those that can spend a reasonable amount of time.
-For the rest, all the Journey content should also become available for purchase in the store as a bundle
-This removes the pressure and makes it fair to everyone.

-It depends on what the prize actually is. If you got X number of RP would that satisfy you. What about X number of powder or X number of premium kegs.
-rare prizes is quite simply not worth the consequences of making the prize rare.
-You simply need to see that in a CCG player base is more important than literally anything else. People hate paying for things and not getting their money’s worth.
-if people think like that CDPR loses on both player base and player spending.
- It is just bad business.

-you really don't see how having all of the exclusive content rewarded within 100 levels is more fair than having it spread out over 165-175 levels?

Thank you to all above and all others for giving validation to what I proposed in the study and conclusions I came to in my analysis here. Including the attitude of just give "overachievers" (in this case actually getting to 175 is considered by some "overachieving") common junk that no one will really get mad that they have.

Analysis of Reward Expectations

Conclusion
It's clear that the devs need to choose one of the options I present as fills the all needs of the psychological attitude the comments represent on a rewards based subject.

Personally completely disagree ( for reasons discussed in all my posts on this specific subject ) and feel everyone opposed is hiding behind " it needs to be fair" for the reason of " omg you will lose some FTP and casual players if you make them mad and the que and game will fail" and in my personal opinion a misunderstanding of how the FTP system works.

There is one fact people can't dispute and that is the actual numbers of how many people are "mad" about any event,change or other decision the devs make as they don't even exist to the average person since only the devs know what the actual metrics are if you consider the player base as a whole and not just what you see on some form of Social Media

The hypothesis of "Players on social media mad game dies." Also neglects the fact that for every player they lose its also conceivable they are gain new player.

Quote by me.

Last edited:
Including the attitude of just give "overachievers" (in this case actually getting to 175 is considered by some "overachieving") common junk that no one will really get mad that they have.
While I don't in any way agree that Reward Points, Ore, Card Scraps, or Meteorite Powder are "junk", as they enable players to increase their card collection, and isn't that the most important aspect of the game. Still, there are other ways to go about giving bonus rewards for reaching levels above and beyond the end of the Journey (i.e. level 100).

From what I've seen, most people have a problem with including unique collectibles as a reward for excessive grinding, but this means that something that is also for sale in the shop would be an acceptable reward for overachievers. Plus, they could always give out Premium kegs, or better yet, since this is the Ciri Journey, they could have the final rewards be one or more of the Legendary Ciri cards, either regular or Premium. Any of these ideas would satisfy the "overachievers", as you put it, while not upsetting any of the regular players at the same time.

Top Bottom