Costly, painfull, popular - examples of mistakes made by players

+
Only thing I've really seen was someone playing their siege scenario as the very last card, round 3, without the leader ability to help it progress more than just the prologue spawn.

I regularly make two big mistakes.

When using "Royal Decree" to play "Geralt: Igni", I forget this means lose out on the ability to destroy card(s) when the row totals only 20+

If I use "Ermion" to finish a "Gedyneith" scenario, this allows me to play a "Gigascorpion" or other damaging Alchemy card from the deck. Not a particularly big problem except that the "Mardroeme" spawns for play first and I often end up boosting the enemy card I was attempting to damage/destroy.

Makes me feel like the proper numpty I am when I do those things. :D

I regularly make two big mistakes.

When using "Royal Decree" to play "Geralt: Igni", I forget this means lose out on the ability to destroy card(s) when the row totals only 20+

If I use "Ermion" to finish a "Gedyneith" scenario, this allows me to play a "Gigascorpion" or other damaging Alchemy card from the deck. Not a particularly big problem except that the "Mardroeme" spawns for play first and I often end up boosting the enemy card I was attempting to damage/destroy.

Makes me feel like the proper numpty I am when I do those things. :D
That is too funny, as in the last hour, I've literally seen two NG players using bribery at Rank 2 pull Gigni in back to back games.

What was extra funny was in one of the them I had already passed, and they got to double dip with Skellen: the first card they chose was Matta (I've passed...). Then they chose Gigni. 🤣:coolstory:

They have a choice of three cards, and they literally chose a 2 point brick because it looks fancy. Numpties.🤣

They still won R3, because NG netdecks...but it was highly amusing all the same.

I made a very foolish mistake today!

Don't play Yghern second from last card against a SK Onslaught deck. :giveup:

R3 my final 3 cards in hand. My opponent has 2.
It's MO against SK.
I'm up by 7.

I misread the timer on my opponents axe, and play Glusty as my third card. Then I play Yghren second from last card. Giving him one armour as my opponents axe activates for the final time.
:beer::smart:

I end up losing by 3 points.

Worst thing was I played a perfect game up to that point. Bled R1 and R2 including consuming Cerys An Craite from his graveyard in R2. R3 I start with 4 cards, and he has 3. And I go and do that! :ROFLMAO:
I felt like a right numpty.

On top of that it broke up an 8 game MO win streak at Rank 1 and 2.:facepalm:

DC9V

Forum veteran
150points_dracoturtle.jpg

great-dracoturtle VS not-so-great-swords (standard, ranked)
Not only did he place the Greatsword on the wrong row, he didn't play Morkvarg, nor Yrden...

DRK3

Forum veteran
I know this thread is for mistakes made in actual matches, but i'll share one huge mistake i did last year, on shupe shop:

When Crimson Curse was released last year, it was the first expansion, we only had base set kegs for purchase, and the just released CC Kegs...

I was so excited and rushed too fast, and accidentally bought 100 base set kegs with Ore! And i already had a full base set, so they were totally useless for me. Fortunately i still had enough Ore to buy another 100 kegs, that time actually the new CC Kegs.

To this day, part of those 100 kegs are still in my inventory (i opened most recently to get M.powder before transmute cost changes), gathering virtual dust...

So tomorrow, dont be an idiot like i was, and accidentally buy kegs that are not Master Mirror kegs :shrug:

• RED Point
Reactions: rrc
I know this thread is for mistakes made in actual matches, but i'll share one huge mistake i did last year, on shupe shop:

When Crimson Curse was released last year, it was the first expansion, we only had base set kegs for purchase, and the just released CC Kegs...

I was so excited and rushed too fast, and accidentally bought 100 base set kegs with Ore! And i already had a full base set, so they were totally useless for me. Fortunately i still had enough Ore to buy another 100 kegs, that time actually the new CC Kegs.

To this day, part of those 100 kegs are still in my inventory (i opened most recently to get M.powder before transmute cost changes), gathering virtual dust...

So tomorrow, dont be an idiot like i was, and accidentally buy kegs that are not Master Mirror kegs :shrug:
That's actually why I stopped playing Hearthstone several years ago. I made this same mistake (their interface for buying cards was far worse than Gwent's), contacted Blizzard support, and when they basically told me to f*** off, I uninstalled Hearthstone from both my PC and phone. To this day, I don't really regret the decision, even though I had been playing since day 1.

Last edited:

Thanks for info! I was thinking how than I should get new cards? If I just purchase NR kegs, there won't be cards from new expansion? I have to purchase MM kegs? :eek:

DRK3

Forum veteran
Thanks for info! I was thinking how than I should get new cards? If I just purchase NR kegs, there won't be cards from new expansion? I have to purchase MM kegs? :eek:

You can buy NR Kegs to have a chance of getting MM NR cards, but its more advised to buy MM kegs, they should be purchasable by now for 100 ore each like the other ones.

You can buy NR Kegs to have a chance of getting MM NR cards, but its more advised to buy MM kegs, they should be purchasable by now for 100 ore each like the other ones.

Youre right, there are some interesting neutrals also, I will do like You said :)

Most common mistake I see (last time yesterday) is people playing Matta after I drypassed in round 2.

Mistake I made myself, playing Isengrim Council as first card in round 3, but didnt check my deck properly. I had already played my Isengrim targets or had them in hand, so I had only one target left which was my Gord.

Two more errors I want to mention, one I commonly make, one I often encounter.

Playing an unintended card. This happens to me for three reasons: I accidentally grab a card adjacent to the desired card and don’t notice until it is on the table; I choose my next card while my opponent is making their move, note it’s strength, then mistakenly grab a different card with the same strength; or I have two cards of similar appearance (sometimes just similar color tone is enough) and I play one thinking it is the other.

Poor passing strategy in round 1. Some players don’t push nearly hard enough; others badly overcommit. I think those who don’t push enough either do not appropriately analyze the the value of wins versus remaining card count (e. g. is it better to lose on even or to win with 3 cards remaining to your opponent’s 5?) or in some cases keep too many crucial cards for later rounds in their initial hand so they can’t push without being bled. Those who clearly overcommit usually place too much value on “last say” (last say is really only important if either your deck relies on a big card that can be countered in a single move, or if you have removal for an anticipated big card of your opponent), or people who miscalculate the resources needed for each player to win the round. I have seen people deplete their hand trying to catch-up a small amount when their cards are not big enough to offset my engines passively generating points. I must admit, however, that I sometimes do kind of crazy things in round 1 because I have a goal different than winning the match — either playing certain cards to complete a quest or making sure I don’t lose 2-0 because I need one round to earn a key.

I would have named this Thread "Derp moves thread" :p

- Last card for this match was to be played by me, only card in my hand was Geralt: Igni. I just had to trow him down instantly and get the Initiative condition for 20 points in a row to kill cards and win. BUT I had a cow on the field (the 1 point cow that turns into a 10 point Chort), and the satisfaction of clicking on the cow to turn it into a Chort just got the better of me! I f^-^ing had to CLICK ON IT, completely forgetting it then nullifies the Initiative effect on Gigni, resulting in me then not having any targets for it and the card just played for 2 points lmao and I lost the game by 1 point or smtn like that. :(

- This one is not gameplay related, but more properly me wrongly assessing how much RP I can gather before the Season of the Dryad ends. I had a really slow time getting them (didn't get any quests for RPs and I got to the part of Journey where you get cosmetics instead of those juicy 5 RPs so that slowed me down a lot, also I was kind busy dem days) during one week and it was like a week left till the end so I thought I'd never get enough RP to unlock the cardback in the Morren tree. So I figured... if I spend points there but don't get to the end - I basically wasted the RPs because they will be useless now for 1 year. so I spent like 15 RPs into other basic trees that are there all the year. BUT then I continued playing... and I realized I would have easily been able to reach the end!! BUT NOW cuz I spent 15 RPs into other stuff it will be a pretty hard grind... and I was motivated by those juicy 5 RP journey stages and some random contracts I finished to try and finish it. AND I DID BUT I had to go into overdrive and play a lot more Gwent then I'd usually play xD last night (last night before it transitions to Season of the Cat) I stayed up too late to finish that tree... xD instead of getting sleep for work lol, turns out cuz of lack of sleep I fell asleep as soon as I got home, also my left eye is swollen cuz of allergy and it was quite hard having to look at the screen for so long instead of sleeping. :/

Last edited:
The dumbest move I ever made was whenI was playing an NG Double Cross deck, and I copied a Damien from my opponent’s deck without thinking about his leader ability. He happened to have imposter, locked and copied my Damien, then reenabled the leader to recopy my Damien every remaining turn in the round.

DRK3

Forum veteran
A mistake i have seen so many times is when i play O.Hunger, opponent plays a 4pt or less card that i steal with Caranthir+Miruna, then the opponent IMMEDIATELY plays another vital 4pt. Like, WTF? You know i have the original Miruna in hand and im gonna steal that one too, are they just praying a miracle will happen and make Miruna vanish from my hand? :shrug:

A mistake i have seen so many times is when i play O.Hunger, opponent plays a 4pt or less card that i steal with Caranthir+Miruna, then the opponent IMMEDIATELY plays another vital 4pt. Like, WTF? You know i have the original Miruna in hand and im gonna steal that one too, are they just praying a miracle will happen and make Miruna vanish from my hand? :shrug:

So what would be the correct play in your mind? discard every 4 str card from their hand?

So what would be the correct play in your mind? discard every 4 str card from their hand?
You make a good point. The other option I can think of is to play other low strength cards and hope Maruna steals the wrong one. But this is so low tempo, it probably loses the round anyway — better to force Maruna out. Do better players than I have other suggestions?

DRK3

Forum veteran

Apparently i wasnt clear...
Obviously, it can be quite tricky to play around Miruna with certain decks, and sometimes you dont have a choice, its not those that im accusing.

I did say 'vital' like playing a Helge or Kerack Frigate, then i see they still had other less important 4pt or less units, but they're just programmed to do the same shit everytime, even when its obviously a mistake that's gonna cost them the match.

Messing about doing the artifacts daily quest - probably driving my opponents nuts in the process (apologies) and have filled up the remainder of my deck with Elven deadeye creators, so at the end of round 3 (opponents invariably get cheesed off getting trap after trap after tainted ales etc and give me round 1) I'm sitting there with 6/7 deadeyes just itching to ping the daylights out of the opposition, just as soon as I drop my last card - Vernossiel.
So I play him.....on the ranged row.
Lost the game by 2 points

Top Bottom