"The Buxom Bruxa" Tavern (Monsters General Discussion)

+
Heya there fellow Monster players !

I thought it might be a good idea to have a place of our own to hang out, share ideas, experiences (good and bad) and strategies involving the Monster faction.

All are welcome, especially people who "main" Monsters as a faction.

- I start by stating this, i love the MO faction and I love the "new" Harpy card.
The buff this card received (bonded) is so great.
I just made a deck using the "Fruits of Ysgith" leader ability and managed to beat NR SW (with duels) and SC CoH with it !
The NR win especially made my day if you know what I mean... :coolstory:
Screenshot_20201004-065455.png

Last edited:
Its kind of funny The OP starts this thread with a game He only wins because used a neutral card.

I mean, you dindt win because of monster, you win despite monters.

Problably If you used another deck with yrden as Last card you were going to win that match

DRK3

Forum veteran
Monsters is not my main faction, but its easily on my top 3.

OP, that's a sad number of harpies, ill show you what the ultimate harpy deck can do :cool:

1st Try - Harpy Deck.jpg

A tavern for monsters, eh? Could use a better name methinks. The Buxom Bruxa, maybe.

edited !
Reason : LOL ! briliant :coolstory:

Its kind of funny The OP starts this thread with a game He only wins because used a neutral card.

I mean, you dindt win because of monster, you win despite monters.

Problably If you used another deck with yrden as Last card you were going to win that match

Mhhhmmm, so what.. ? Neutrals are off limits to monsters now ? c'mon man, give me a break ! :ohstopit:
Yrden can brick aswell ya know. :)
I've won against every NR SW deck i went against today, i'm happy with that. :smart:
Welcome to the Buxom Bruxa tavern btw ! :beer:
Post automatically merged:

Monsters is not my main faction, but its easily on my top 3.
OP, that's a sad number of harpies, ill show you what the ultimate harpy deck can do :cool:

I can't deny the fact that you have an impressive number of them mate !
Damn... what do ya feed em ? :p

- You can't deny though that i got a huge value on my round aswell... look at the NR, cowenring in the back behind their defender.
He lost a TON of points and when i threw in two of them harpies, damn... such a great value man... feels good to have such a boon.
Monsters got something good from an update at last and it's a great fit for our haunt decks !

Cheers ! :beer:

Last edited:
edited !
Reason : LOL ! briliant :coolstory:

Mhhhmmm, so what.. ? Neutrals are off limits to monster now ? c'mon man, give me a break ! :ohstopit:
Yrden can brick aswell ya know.
I've won against every NR SW deck i went against today, i'm happy with that. :smart:
Welcome to the Buxom Bruxa tavern btw ! :beer:
No no, yrden and neutrals are not of the limit.

I Just said that to do a criticism about how MO faction is weak now.

Btw i Love mo, its my first faction and The faction i have more wins, but, like i said, i hate The fact this faction is One of the weakest now

I played some games with this faction (mainly Ethereal, OH and some Kikimore) and always thought it's kind of boring and binary, similar to NR. Just slamming down your cards for points, having very limited interactions and hoping that you're favored in the match-up and win round one. What do you all like so much about MO? :)

DRK3

Forum veteran
I played some games with this faction (mainly Ethereal, OH and some Kikimore) and always thought it's kind of boring and binary, similar to NR. Just slamming down your cards for points, having very limited interactions and hoping that you're favored in the match-up and win round one. What do you all like so much about MO? :)

Monsters has a very simple mechanic in 'thrive', which goes well with tall units/point slam. I agree you can consider that type of decks boring, but MO is actually one of the most diverse factions, with plenty of strategies and possibilities.

Its the best faction for swarm, of which im a big fan of, and even there there are many subvariations.
Im also a fan of deathwish, and was so glad when we got O.Hunger, because Death's Shadow wasnt tailored for it, it was more for consume (Ruehin/Dethlaff HV), which i dont like as much.
Now there's also frost/WH which is semi-viable and kinda interesting.
You got meme decks like Keltullis, which now made it to 'the big leagues', and plenty more meme possibilities (a few died with Caranthir change...RIP)
And now, to be controversial, you got Predatory Dive, which is so hated and mocked but i love it, amazing feeling taking down an opponent Yghern or defender because he didnt play around it.

But to be perfectly honest, my favourite MO deck ever was the long gone "vran machineguns", easily one of my favourite decks in all of these 4 years of Gwent.

- All of the reasons that @DRK3 mentioned above are reasons of why I main MOs as a faction.
I have no idea what the 'Vran Machine guns" deck was, sounds nasty thought...

- I'm gonna try to mention some more.
First of all for me, it's gotta be the aesthetics, i love the way the cards look, all of them.
I like the whole "Deathwish" concept and the consume interaction you get to have with a lot of MOs units since it's a valid action to save a unit from double poison and other dangers aswell.

I understand that a lot of players don't like just point slamming but I love combos like
Yghren ---> Endrega Queen
(making it a point printing machine)
The options you get with Caranthir which used to be so much more before it's nerf.
The total onslaught it terms of dmg the White Frost WH deck can dish out and it's versatility in terms of moving enemies around especially when including bruisers and Drowners, makes for a great deck to bust the balls of your enemies, disable their row dependent/locked units and break their strategy.
Fruits of Ysgith and Predatory Dive, such a powerful trolling move or going double/tripple Miruna (ooof). :coolstory:

I used to love vamp decks but after MM dropped, veil really doesn't help anyone playing with bleeds, I hope that archetype gets some support cause it's pretty much dead which is such a shame since there are a lot if cool vamp cards you can play.
I can probably think of some more reasons but I'm on the go atm.

There are decks that can be highly interactive with the enemy but those are mostly considered "meme decks", which is not bad imo if you take in count that one if the main MO competitive decks atm is Ciri cards - Keltullis and some variations of it.

What do you like bout the monster faction mate ?
What do ya play, have you played with all it's leaders..? :)

P.S. Sorry for the for responding so late.

Last edited:
What if the Woodland Spirit spawned by Force of Nature had Order: Spawn a 1 point Possessed Wolf (Token)? This could synergize with some MO cards like Griffin.

What if the Woodland Spirit spawned by Force of Nature had Order: Spawn a 1 point Possessed Wolf (Token)? This could synergize with some MO cards like Griffin.

It's not a bad idea mate, I've seen ya proposing this (or something similar) some time ago.
It would certainly make it more cool and thematically more genuine but how could that synergize with the cards..?
It could help with swarm decks for sure but we already have a leader ability designed and dedicated solely to it.
If you were to change FoN then you would surely reduce it's power, let's say from 9 to 7 and have two 1 power wolfs spawn in either side of the Leshen.
The way it is atm I think it offers good thrive value.
In the begining of 7.2 I was really hesitant about it's usefulness but after using it and testing it think it's pretty good the way it is.
I could be persuaded to change my mind though.

Last edited:
It's not a bad idea mate, I've seen ya proposing this (or something similar) some time ago.
It would certainly make it more cool and thematically more genuine but how could that synergize with the cards..?
It could help with swarm decks for sure but we already have a leader ability designed and dedicated solely to it.
If you were to change FoN than you would surely reduce it's power, let's say from 9 to 7 and have two 1 power wolfs spawn in either side of the Leshen.
The way it is atm I think it offers good thrive value.
In the begining of 7.2 I was really hesitant about it's usefulness but after using it and testing it think it's pretty good the way it is.
I could be persuaded to change my mind though.
Hmm, what if it had two charges and each one damaged the Leshen by 1 then spawned a 1 point Wolf? I like having the base power of it 9 since the buffed Ghouls can push Thrives quite high now and stuff like Alpha Werewolf is already pretty tall.
The reason I brought it up now is because how well the buffed Ghouls work with Griffins and Fruits, yet in FoN that combo can easily brick. Okay, when I think about it you don't usually play leader R1 so it might not make a whole lot of sense with that unless you eat the Griffins R3 then Ghoul them.
But hey, with the self-damage spawn thing you could get it out of Geralt/Leo kill range! There's always Predatory Dive as well.

Hmm, what if it had two charges and each one damaged the Leshen by 1 then spawned a 1 point Wolf? I like having the base power of it 9 since the buffed Ghouls can push Thrives quite high now and stuff like Alpha Werewolf is already pretty tall.
The reason I brought it up now is because how well the buffed Ghouls work with Griffins and Fruits, yet in FoN that combo can easily brick. Okay, when I think about it you don't usually play leader R1 so it might not make a whole lot of sense with that unless you eat the Griffins R3 then Ghoul them.
But hey, with the self-damage spawn thing you could get it out of Geralt/Leo kill range! There's always Predatory Dive as well.

- I like this proposal, I like it a lot but I don't think we'll see such a leader any time soon, it's too versatile for it's cost.
I like the order idea a lot, no zeal though.
The leader's ability would be nerfed down from 15 to 13 though imo, maybe even lower to compensate for the versatility it would provide.
Post automatically merged:

@Slizzl
The 1p wolves should spawn with veil aswell, for extra troll value... :LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:
...1p veiled tokens
should be a thing ! :howdy:

Just joking, just fooling around...
I was serious about what I wrote above thought.

Last edited:

DRK3

Forum veteran
@judgecsk I wont leave you (and possibly others) in the ignorance of not knowing what 'vran machinegun' decks were...

In the early days of Gwent HC (2 years ago), it was an Arachas deck, but the Arachas leader ability was different - whenever you destroyed an allied unit on yor turn, a 1pt arachas would spawn.

This lead to an incredible deck where you would spend 6/7 turns setting up your board, very vulnerable to removal, but when it succeeded, on those last few turns it was total annihilation for the opponent...

Here's a small video that perfectly demonstrates it:

• RED Point
Reactions: rrc
- All of the reasons that @DRK3 mentioned above are reasons of why I main MOs as a faction.
I have no idea what the 'Vran Machine guns" deck was, sounds nasty thought...

- I'm gonna try to mention some more.
First of all for me, it's gotta be the aesthetics, i love the way the cards look, all of them.
I like the whole "Deathwish" concept and the consume interaction you get to have with a lot of MOs units since it's a valid action to save a unit from double poison and other dangers aswell.

I understand that a lot of players don't like just point slamming but I love combos like
Yghren ---> Endrega Queen
(making it a point printing machine)
The options you get with Caranthir which used to be so much more before it's nerf.
The total onslaught it terms of dmg the White Frost WH deck can dish out and it's versatility in terms of moving enemies around especially when including bruisers and Drowners, makes for a great deck to bust the balls of your enemies, disable their row dependent/locked units and break their strategy.
Fruits of Ysgith and Predatory Dive, such a powerful trolling move or going double/tripple Miruna (ooof). :coolstory:

I used to love vamp decks but after MM dropped, veil really doesn't help anyone playing with bleeds, I hope that archetype gets some support cause it's pretty much dead which is such a shame since there are a lot if cool vamp cards you can play.
I can probably think of some more reasons but I'm on the go atm.

There are decks that can be highly interactive with the enemy but those are mostly considered "meme decks", which is not bad imo if you take in count that one if the main MO competitive decks atm is Ciri cards - Keltullis and some variations of it.

What do you like bout the monster faction mate ?
What do ya play, have you played with all it's leaders..? :)

P.S. Sorry for the for responding so late.
The card art is indeed beautiful for many of the faction's cards, that's true. I've always wondered why MO's cards are so often about going tall and don't have many ways to attack the opponent. Then again, this playstile would fit absolutely every faction lore-wise in the game. I've played Fruits with Ethereal (this was horrible to play, either you destroy your opponent or you don't draw your combo pieces and are really sad about that), then some Thrive-homebrew-nonsense at lower ranks, sometimes Death's Shadow with Kiki. I've always disliked the fact that MO very often need round control to win, otherwise you either get bled (bad for Kikimore) or simply forced to play the long round (bad for Ethereal, OH, Blood Scent). I like Blood Scent, but this is just underwhelming at the moment with all the Veil around.

@judgecsk I wont leave you (and possibly others) in the ignorance of not knowing what 'vran machinegun' decks were...

In the early days of Gwent HC (2 years ago), it was an Arachas deck, but the Arachas leader ability was different - whenever you destroyed an allied unit on yor turn, a 1pt arachas would spawn.

This lead to an incredible deck where you would spend 6/7 turns setting up your board, very vulnerable to removal, but when it succeeded, on those last few turns it was total annihilation for the opponent...

Here's a small video that perfectly demonstrates it:

....omg..lol...what did i just wintess ..!? :confused:
...such massacre ! :giveup:
...so value !
...WoW ! :coolstory:

...okay now seriously, that was abuse man, clearly... wth ! :LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:

The card art is indeed beautiful for many of the faction's cards, that's true. I've always wondered why MO's cards are so often about going tall and don't have many ways to attack the opponent. Then again, this playstile would fit absolutely every faction lore-wise in the game. I've played Fruits with Ethereal (this was horrible to play, either you destroy your opponent or you don't draw your combo pieces and are really sad about that), then some Thrive-homebrew-nonsense at lower ranks, sometimes Death's Shadow with Kiki. I've always disliked the fact that MO very often need round control to win, otherwise you either get bled (bad for Kikimore) or simply forced to play the long round (bad for Ethereal, OH, Blood Scent). I like Blood Scent, but this is just underwhelming at the moment with all the Veil around.

- Yeah, the art style is superb, i like the normal and the premium ones.

- Nithral is pretty powerful in a Carapace deck, i'll send ya one to check out and lemme know what ya think.
If you can keep dominance, he can get pretty ferocious, sometimes even win ya a round all
by him self ! :howdy:

- Yeah the Kiki deck can be disrupted by experienced opponents if they can bleed ya effectively but i've won games even by going 0 - 1 - 1 ...having used a Kiki Queen on R2 and R3, if you have the right cards on hand it can still be pulled off.

- I enjoyed the pre MM vamp decks aswell...but you see, i'm kindah confused atm because i keep on reading that some people don't think that "veil" is such a big deal, but others say that it is real bad, i neither love it nor hate it.
One thing is for sure, veil destroyed the vamp decks viability, this i really really don't like, but getting saved from a deadly poison.... that i love, can't deny that.

- Btw i managed to make a deck that Ethereal works, it's not as powerful as before but after the artifact removal patch people seem to be more prone on keeping their YeetWave™ for a scenario rather than using it to get rid off a defender... ofc you know what that means...:smart:
You basically get a round "on the house" :coolstory:
Tested it on rank 9 and i lost only once to SK after 5 wins and that was by 5 points, i'm using the harpies aswell... such a tasty boosty powerplay. :)

Last edited:
Had another gaming session last night, ended up going up against some "let's fill up your row shenanigans and make you QQ" decks and some heavy removal ones, it was really furstrating and annoying.:mad::facepalm:

So... I said to mah self,
"if you want something real cheap I'll give ya something to write home about"... :disapprove:

I went in on the deck builder and rebuilt-optimised a pre MM deck of mine and went on an almost unstoppable rampage..!
This deck is really strong against almost all factions and abilities with the exception of some of SKs decks which are not impossible to beat if you're a little bit lucky with your draws.

A Drowner has been included for getting rid of the occasional peepsqueak Cahir or to bluff by moving a defender and all the usual suspects included in Carapace decks and not only.
Yrden for the icing of the cake which imo can get you crazy value more often than not in the current meta.

https://www.playgwent.com/en/decks/f2fb331586e1e4c324ebebcfc92aac97

Enjoy my fellow monster freaks ! :beer:

Last edited:
Had another gaming session last night, ended up going up against some "let's fill up your row shenanigans and make you QQ" decks and some heavy removal ones, it was really furstrating and annoying.:mad::facepalm:

So... I said to mah self,
"if you want something real cheap I'll give ya something to write home about"... :disapprove:

I went in on the deck builder and rebuilt-optimised a pre MM deck of mine and went on an almost unstoppable rampage..!
This deck is really strong against almost all factions and abilities with the exception of some of SKs decks which are not impossible to beat if you're a little bit lucky with your draws.

A Drowner has been included for getting rid of the occasional peepsqueak Cahir or to bluff by moving a defender and all the usual suspects included in Carapace decks and not only.
Yrden for the icing of the cake which imo can get you crazy value more often than not in the current meta.

https://www.playgwent.com/en/decks/f2fb331586e1e4c324ebebcfc92aac97

Enjoy my fellow monster freaks ! :beer:
I have a similary deck.

But this deck is hard if you dont win round 1 and your opponent bleeds you in round 2.

Otherwise, its a peace of cake

I have a similary deck.

But this deck is hard if you dont win round 1 and your opponent bleeds you in round 2.

Otherwise, its a peace of cake
The trick imo is to get a win on round 1 with either Haunt and Dettlaf or with Ruehin consumes, ideally you don't wanna use both Dettlaf and Ruehin in one round, if you do that... you will win the round but most likely lose the game.

In games that I drew poorly on R1 I just thinned as much as I could and passed. I even won games that I didn't have last say and a card down aswell, this setup is really powerful cause it has so many points, you can lose to Yrden and SK tho... :)
...fighting SK is pretty hard anyways so...yeh, no surprise there. :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom