Thoughts on influencers/youtubers being NPCs in the game

+

Are you OK with having youtubers in the game as NPCs and having quests tied to them?

• Yes.

• No.

• Should be smaller easter egg like the farting trolls in Witcher 3.

• Don't care.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Nah its the situation where we knew who they are or learned now but don't watch their content.
Its less immersion breaking when its an actor since you are used to them acting and expect them to bring something more than their likeness to the game.

Celebrity inserts at this level are immersion breaking because you KNOW they are not actors, just fourth wall breaking fanservice.

Something like farting trolls encounter in Witcher 3 was handled better, and majority of the people playing the game did not even understood the reference.

For all intends and purposes they (influencers) ARE actors in this case.

For all intends and purposes they (influencers) ARE actors in this case.
:think: Why are there all these actors acting inside my video games and movies! :confused:
:smart:We gotta make new movies, and new video games... uhhhh... with NO actors!:beer:
:DYea! These pesky actors, always sneaking into acting positions... and uh... acting.. and stuff. Acting all acty. :rolleyes: Makes me just... just wanna....
*clears throat* *cough cough ahem*
reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Just kidding friends

1. And who says they're not in the game? Maybe they didn't get a chance to reveal it yet? Maybe they won't tell you until you find them in the game? I don't know... I don't work for CDPR and cannot speak to their decisions. I can only speculate on myriad of reasons, same as you.

2. Overall, none of this really matters to me one bit and it won't take anything away from MY enjoyment of the game. If you don't like it? Well... tough shit... take a couple deep breaths, count to ten, and learn how to deal with it. I really don't know what to tell you.

1) They are not in the game. If they were they would have announced that by now. In addition, keep in mind that CDPR also shunned them by not allowing them to be part of the June crew to play 4 hours of the game.

2) Well it should matter to you. This sets an uncomfortable precedence. Gaming "journalism" already has a bad rap for being inconsistent and not credible as they are too close to the people they are supposed to objectively cover. While Alanah and many of these "influencers" are not journalists but they do have a following of people who will buy or not buy a game based on their coverage. If I see influencer X always talking positively about game Z and then find out that the developers for game Z put influencer X in the game for some quid pro quo relationship, how credible does that make influencer X?

CDPR might be the darling developers for the fans now but they can turn into a laughing stock tomorrow, see Bioware. People like Madqueen and Neon Arcade has done more for keeping up the discussion for CP2077 2077 since forever, before it became cool for the influencers to tag along and yet CDPR does not acknowledge them.

Give a person an inch and they take a foot.

I can use that argument for what EA and Rockstar does. All the sales, earnings and profits for GTA5 and we still have not gotten a SP DLC?

All the money EA makes and yet every year NFL Madden looks the same with no revolutionary improvements?

Sorry to be the one to tell you there is no Santa Claus but more profits does not always mean a better gameplay experience for the consumer.

Sure you can bring that argument but its a bit like comparing apples with bananas - different companies with different reputations, histories and decision making processes.

Ask yourself in turn if more profits are "bad" for the consumer? On average, he probably benefits assuming the "more profits" aspect isnt resulting out of a "ripoff" but simply because known individuals draw attention to the game.

I ironically see some complain who never heard about the individual(s) in question before, so how would it be immersion breaking and why is someone like Keanu Reeves ok by principle but not someone else who's probably closer to the general gaming or entertainment community or industry or even a very specific setting, aka someone from the Cyberpunk community.

I just don't see a big issue or a downside with any of it. If I can accept Keanu Reeves and not complain about "broken immersion", I can accept anyone else as long as they do a good job with their characters and voice line quality. You could sarcastically ask if movies are ruined for people because they always see the famous actors in the scenes and depictions and not the characters they portray. My tip or solution? Focus on the characters, not the people behind them solely and enjoy the game.

So I unironically wonder where the issue is for people here. And yes, I would even like to see some individuals focusing on the CP community be rewarded for their efforts and promotional content by getting shoutouts, mentions or even be incorporated into the game somehow, whether they are able to give advise on a quest idea or design or get to lend their face, voice, whatever.

1) They are not in the game. If they were they would have announced that by now. In addition, keep in mind that CDPR also shunned them by not allowing them to be part of the June crew to play 4 hours of the game.

2) Well it should matter to you. This sets an uncomfortable precedence. Gaming "journalism" already has a bad rap for being inconsistent and not credible as they are too close to the people they are supposed to objectively cover. While Alanah and many of these "influencers" are not journalists but they do have a following of people who will buy or not buy a game based on their coverage. If I see influencer X always talking positively about game Z and then find out that the developers for game Z put influencer X in the game for some quid pro quo relationship, how credible does that make influencer X?

CDPR might be the darling developers for the fans now but they can turn into a laughing stock tomorrow, see Bioware. People like Madqueen and Neon Arcade has done more for keeping up the discussion for CP2077 2077 since forever, before it became cool for the influencers to tag along and yet CDPR does not acknowledge them.

Give a person an inch and they take a foot.
I'm glad you're so well informed about everything that is going on inside CDPR. Not many people can say the same. As for X or Y person not getting to play the game early, you have no idea what you're talking about (unless, of course, you really do work for CDPR and you know everything about it :shrug: ). It has never been about "oh hey.. this guy posted some videos about our game, let's invite him over". At least that was never the case when I was involved with such event over at EA some time ago. There's a lot more going on behind the scenes that you or I don't know about. If you want to claim yourself an expert on the subject, so be it... but to me, you sound really angry. [...]

And no, your dislike of something has no impact on my enjoyment of the game. I really don't know why this is so hard for you to comprehend.

The biggest issue I see is that CDPR is its worst enemy. Its Witcher success has resulted in them having this cult following of their work, and Cyberpunk is an evidence of it. The game is soooo overhyped, people put it up on the pedestal like it's a holy grail of gaming, a second coming of Jesus, whatever. Come release day, there are going to be thousands of people crapping on this game, because it isn't going to be perfect, because it isn't how they imagined it would be, because X, Y, Z... and it's going to be hilarious. And don't even get me started on the outcry, if the game will have 1 too many bugs, or if the game will be crashing on arrival. lol (never mind the people with their nvidia 1060 GPU's wondering why they can't push 4k RTX, since it was a recommended spec)

You're right about one thing... gaming jurnos have a bad rep... which is exactly why I don't follow any of them, or read any gaming reviews. And maybe that's the difference... I ignore that aspect of media completely, so when someone tells me some Youtuber is now an NPC in the game, I just shrug it off, because it really doesn't matter to me. I've got bigger problems to deal with in my life, and some random NPC in a game isn't one of them. Stuff like that doesn't even register on my radar.

And if you're still angry about someone being in the game, than instead of taking a quest from them, blast their head off with a shotgun, or chop it off with the sword. That's gotta count for something, right? ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
A reminder that the Forum Regulations require everyone to always treat others with kindness and respect.
Personal attacks are not welcome, and personal arguments have no place in public threads.

I do notice that she does not look the same real life compared to the game version of her character. Similar, but not the same at all. I agree with her that she looks similar, but I don't think it's a perfect 1:1 copy. She looks drastically much much better in real life.

Dude, its a GAME

Well I do know who

1) So you are saying that CDPR is telling the influencers thanks for whatever reasons? Then how come Madqueen, Last Known Meal, NeonArcade etc? Last time I checked, it was THESE people that have been following and pushing the discussion of CP2077 since 2017 before the big E3 2018 blow out. People like Alanah only jumped on post E3 2018 when it became trendy to and even then never to the same depth, care and passion as those I mentioned above.
Man i really feel bad for these three,they did an incredible job covering the lore and news for Cyberpunk yet sadly they dont get anything compared to other youtubers who just jump on the bandwagon,im not saying they should be in the game im personally against the whole thing,but i think they atleast deserve to play the demo and im pretty sure they will cover it WAAAAY better than anyone that has done it before since they know the ins and outs of Cyberpunk lore.

Man i really feel bad for these three,they did an incredible job covering the lore and news for Cyberpunk yet sadly they dont get anything compared to other youtubers who just jump on the bandwagon,im not saying they should be in the game im personally against the whole thing,but i think they atleast deserve to play the demo and im pretty sure they will cover it WAAAAY better than anyone that has done it before since they know the ins and outs of Cyberpunk lore.

Yeah because its clear that its just blatant marketing strategy. At least the RPG genre is more niche than FPS so we don't get Ninja, Shroud or Dr. Disrespect in the game.

Yeah because its clear that its just blatant marketing strategy. At least the RPG genre is more niche than FPS so we don't get Ninja, Shroud or Dr. Disrespect in the game.
What bothers me is that if it's only about marketing, it's really not necessary in the first place considering how Cyberpunk2077 will likely sell itself. I doubt that CDPR needs to advertise for the game at all, even a little, considering the amount of hype with the game. They could probably save a lot of money, and the game is probably so good that people will advertise it for free by word of mouth. I feel like if this is only about marketing, it only serves to diminish the game, not make it more popular. Some people will undoubtedly say to me "Well even controversy is good for exposure and advertising" and I would say yea sure, it all depends, but again it's pointless if a huge portion of the world was already going to buy the game anyway. Hopefully this is all not that big of a problem and can be easily ignored in the game, or hopefully it's done in a such a good way that It doesn't matter because it doesn't break the immersion. I'm going to keep thinking positively to the best of my ability (which isn't saying much lol, but better than ever before!) I want to imagine the game releases and everyone sits down to play and we all just forget about all the things we worried about, and the game ends up being awesome. Hopefully. CDPR got this, just have balance, just breath, take it easy, I say this to everyone, including myself, but I also extend it politely to CDPR in the sense that I wish for them to just... you know... ahhh I will just say it, please don't make us sad! We worry! You're the best devs, the best publisher! Please don't pull a darth vader! :cry:

You the chosen video game one. :)

Nope it shouldn't happen, like you said Keanu is a professional actor and we're used to have him on screen as an ACTOR and he's loved by many.

These streamers/youtubers are nobodies (didn't find a better way to say it) like you and I and most of them are weirdos and for immersion sake I wouldn't want them in my games, but it is what it is now I guess.

To be fair, you and I would probably also come across as weirdos if we picked up the mic to start recording, but I agree that it’s all a matter of the quality of the acting. The professionals have a way about them that can transport an audience to a new setting and suspend disbelief.

No such luck when a random ‘tuber starts coughing up his lines and I already know them.

I like youtubers like Madqueen and I’ve been following them for a while now, but for the love of all that’s holy, don’t confront me with MadQueen’s horrible Charcoal English accent within the game. I’m Dutch and that’s how I’d sound if I hadn’t spend half a decade getting rid of the horrible gletchy intonations and adopt a more convincing British lilt. Hers is already an acquired taste on YouTube. It’d be so immersion breaking in the game that I don’t think I’ll ever recover. No personal offense meant to MadQueen.
And if she’s out, you can hardly expect them to still recruit Neon or LastKnown. That’d Just be unfair.

As for CDPR’s PR getting more and more mainstream: ... yeah...

CDPR has been honestly telling us for a while now that they want to reach a bigger audience and success.
I for one have have been eager to see them reach that success, but I can’t help but feel a bit queasy nowadays.
It will all depend on what remains and becomes of CDPR, AFTER they had their successful launch.

Me being a senior user on these forums should tell you something, but I in no way have the illusion that CDPR owes me something, or that I’m somehow their core.
It would still be interesting to see though, how big CDPR believes their fan base to be, and how much they think they need to do to keep it afterwards. I can easily see their psychology shifting towards being more like Ubisoft's/Blizzard's.

Last edited:
I like youtubers like Madqueen and I’ve been following them for a while now, but for the love of all that’s holy, don’t confront me with MadQueen’s horrible Charcoal English accent within the game. It’s already an acquired taste on YouTube. I’d be so immersion breaking that I don’t think I’ll ever recover.
This is going to be me when I hear Alanah's distinct pseudo-Australian accent in game :giveup:

After thinking about it for awhile, it makes sense.
We're all hyped for CP2077 but there are still people out there that think it's some futuristic GTA. It makes sense to bring some influencers in to get appeal, but I never heard of any of these influencers before, so I'm not sure how effective it would actually be.

To be fair, you and I would probably also come across as weirdos if we picked up the mic to start recording, but I agree that it’s all a matter of the quality of the acting. The professionals have a way about them that can transport an audience to a new setting and suspend disbelief.

No such luck when a random ‘tuber starts coughing up his lines and I already know them.

I like youtubers like Madqueen and I’ve been following them for a while now, but for the love of all that’s holy, don’t confront me with MadQueen’s horrible Charcoal English accent within the game. I’m Dutch and that’s how I’d sound if I hadn’t spend half a decade getting rid of the horrible gletchy intonations and adopt a more convincing British lilt. Hers is already an acquired taste on YouTube. It’d be so immersion breaking in the game that I don’t think I’ll ever recover. No personal offense meant to MadQueen.
And if she’s out, you can hardly expect them to still recruit Neon or LastKnown. That’d Just be unfair.

I happen to love MQ`s accent and to play Devils advocate what`s the difference between MQ`s English and say a Valentino :shrug:
Post automatically merged:

This is going to be me when I hear Alanah's distinct pseudo-Australian accent in game :giveup:

I am glad you say pseudo-Australian because she dosen`t sound much like an Aussie anymore :LOL:

Top Bottom